Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Improvements for 2008 Acura MDX?

cheapskate21cheapskate21 Member Posts: 49
edited March 2014 in Acura
Any info on improvements / differences for 2008 MDX? When it will be available?

Comments

• turambar1turambar1 Member Posts: 12
    I think you have your answer in the first 3 words of your title- the MDX has only been out for a few months and I'm sure Acura would hardly want anyone to hold off an imminent purchasing decision on the basis of speculative future improvements.
  • jmpage2jmpage2 Member Posts: 268
    Acura tends to be a bit stingy with model improvements compared to some other manufacturers. If anything waiting for an '08 means that they will get more of the bugs worked out so the cars they build are a bit more reliable.

They will also probably change color choices (add one or two take one or two away) and they could also make some other minor improvements (backup sensors w/rear camera or some other minor things). I expect MSRP to remain the same, especially with the dollar as weak as it is.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    It's inexcusable that there is no factory installed back up sensor.
    Well, not too inexcusable apparently as the MDX seems to be selling really well in most markets.
  • scootertrashscootertrash Member Posts: 698
    I guess they have lower standards than I do.
    I expect a $40k vehicle to have features commonly found on $20k vehicles.
  • JBaumgartJBaumgart Member Posts: 890
    The two most obvious improvements they should consider are:

1. Auto-dimming mirror should at least come with the Technology package, if not standard on the base

2. Power rear lift gate should be standard - it has no relation to the "Entertainment" package.
    There are a lot of new models coming to the market for '08 so Acura might feel the need to "up the ante" and include a bit more in '08. I have a feeling though that if the vehicle continues to experience strong sales we really won't see anything substantial added in '08.
  • aussiem8aussiem8 Member Posts: 27
    Other improvements I suggest are:

1. Bi-xenon adaptive headlights, not the fixed beam angle currently available. My Audi A4 has the adaptive xenons and they are phenominal when taking curves and corners. Plus make this available as a stand-alone option and not be forced to buy the sport package to get it. Or make it part of technology package.

2. Wipers should be rain sensing (speed depends on amount of rain on windshield), not speed sensing (speed dependent on how fast you drive). I know when Acura first used came out with this on the MDX they were rain sensing. Don't understand the change. Or are they rain sensing but they just call their's speed sensing?

3. As stated in a previous message, include factory installed proximity sensors on rear (and ideally on the front) plus couple it with a grid on the camera display that actually guides you into your parking spot (Infinti's M and Audi's Q7 are excellent in this technology - Audi's actually shows you when and how far to turn to parallel park perfectly without ever having to look outside a window. I couldn't believe it when it used it; what every car needs).

4. Develop an ipod integrated interface that actually works. The one advertised as an option is so bad my local Acura dealership refuses to sell it, as every customer that got it was so disappointed to learn it could not integrate their ipods so that you could use the MDX's stereo controls and screed display. Gave them their money back and removed the option to keep them happy.

5. Why no lumbar support on front passenger seat??? No excuses here. Must have it in this segment.

That's it for now. I'm sure I'll think of some more.
    #6 would be cooling fornt seats for those long hot Carolina summers :) :shades:
    The Q7 with comparable equipment is about $10K more than the MDX, so really, no comparison, they are in completely different market segments. Personally I own an A4 and it's a great car, but the maintenance on any German car typically makes the thought of owning one for more than five years unbearable (mine is paid for so I'm keeping it for at least eight years, I fully plan to have to spend a minimum of $1000 a year on maintenance for it after the warranty is up late this year).

MDX offers a step up in luxury and features for someone who is already shopping in the mid 30K price point for a "luxo" SUV and decides to step up to the import that has more goodies and luxury.

We can write long long wish lists for the MDX, but it is obvious that Acura has decided that for the market segment they are going after, backup sensors and certain other features aren't big enough "crowd pleasers" to include in the vehicle.
  • mvd1mvd1 Member Posts: 30
    #7 Increase the brightness of the radio/HVAC display and/or shield the display from direct sunlight.
    #8 Allow the second row bench seat to slide fore and aft to increase leg room in 3rd row when needed.
  • oghowieoghowie Member Posts: 60
    I'd have to agree on the auto dimming rear view mirror and power liftgate. No way I'm buying the entertainment package to get something that is becomming standard in this market segment.

Otherwise, this car was a great deal for us and hold tons more cargo than our old FX35.
  • eastwingeastwing Member Posts: 78
    Many manufactors would release the next-year model during the summer. Does anyone have information about the release data of the 08 MDX?
    I am hearing (from someone working for Honda of America) they will start showing up in October.
  • davantdavant Member Posts: 294
    #9 - Truly integrated Navigation/Control/Bluetooth.

Anyone using the phone and Navi controls handsfree has surely pressed the wrong talk button on the steering wheel. Tell the Navi to call a number and it compares it to a list of memorized commands and takes action. Instead of calling work I've often turned off the A/C, selected an XM rap station. Accidently press the phone button and tell it to select an XM preset and you'll either get today's winning lottery numbers or hear a polite, "Pardon?" or , "Please repeat". I know, none of this is the fault of the system. The voice recognition is very good if you hit the right button and there isn't another conversation going on. My point is, there should only be one doggone steering wheel button (technically there are 3 - call, hang-up, and voice commands) and technology that knows numbers/call/dial means use the phone, select/find/go to etc. means a Navi or Control function. The two try to integrate by calling a map POI but fails with two talk buttons on the wheel. Less than tech savvy users are surely more frustrated and therefore discouraged from use.

Hey Acura -- How about one system with one control?

Also prefer that calling be a one step process. Saying, "Call 124-456-7890" or , "Call Work" should do something, OK, maybe confirmation is acceptable but asking me again what to do is a pain. Prefer a smart AI system that learns me along with me learning it, LOL.
  • bkaferbkafer Member Posts: 16
    Bought our first Acura yesterday, the MDX and getting to know it. First suggestion for 08 would be to replace the plastic panels throughout the cabin. They are very cheap looking and reflect all the passing lights etc....very distracting. Previously owned Mercedes's that use leather and REAL wood. :shades:
  • cheapskate21cheapskate21 Member Posts: 49
    Any info on improvements / differences for 2008 MDX? When it will be available?
  • dms9dms9 Member Posts: 137
    I just bought an O7. although the dealer has "no idea" I suspect Acura will make the back up beepers standard. It really is astonishing that they don't on a car touted for saftey. Also, look for the keyless entry/push start that is showing up on a lot of vehicles. I suspect they will include the auto mirror, just because there have been so many complaints that it is missing in a car of this price range. We will see. The only thing I don't like so far is the way too busy dash and especially the dials. Why can't they have simple clean easy to read pointers? But, that aside, I love the vehicle.
  • sammaxsammax Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any idea about when the 2008's are coming out? I've spoken to two dealers and one said early September and another said November.
  • cvistacvista Member Posts: 54
    I looked at 2008 MDX brochure today in NJ. Unfortunately it was just for color choices. They are dropping the Aberdeen Green and adding a new color.

The dealer stated that they will start seeing 2008 MDX in a couple of months and the ONLY change is Auto dimming mirror as standard.

Not sure how true it is but may be he is right because he did have a 2008 brochure.
  • spicymikeyspicymikey Member Posts: 100
    It's true. I have slight inside line from my brother who works for Acura. Only change is the rear view mirror will now be standard. Sorry for the disappointing news. The MDX is great but it needs to move upscale a bit more like their RL; wood trim, keyless start, adaptive cruise. All should be standard on a high-line vehicle at this point
    I would have thought rain sensing wipers would have been added. The Mazda3 that just bought as a third car even has them...
    No car has every feature. Even the much touted "Lexux" models that park themselves are missing some "must have features" that people have indicated on this list are necessary in a car of this price range.

The only thing disappointing to me is that Acura is not adding a smart key system to the MDX, since that is becoming standard on even non luxo models.
  • gator35gator35 Member Posts: 3
    I've got an 07 MDX Tech. My biggest beef is not having the Power liftgate. If not a Power Liftgate, it is upsurd not to at least have an inside release button for the liftgate. Even my 01 Accord has that for the trunk.
    I've never actually seen a manual release button on a liftgate/hatch on an SUV.

My wife has an Infiniti FX and there's no way to open it other than the manual release on the hatch itself. Same story with my work vehicle an 07 Jeep Compass.

Everyone has different priorities. Frankly I don't think manually opening up a lift gate is a big deal, it's also an expensive feature which is why they only put it on the model with the rear entertainment system, to soak up some of the cost.

If we are talking about "reasonable" cost features to make standard on newer models I would argue that less expensive more useable features such as smart key entry/ignition or other things might top the list.

Besides, we now know that the ONLY change coming for 2008 is that the auto dimming rear view mirror will now be standard. Maybe the '09s will add some additional things. A lot of it will have to do with how well MDX continues to sell against competition into 08.
  • bw082949bw082949 Member Posts: 2
    Are you able to describe the new color that replaces Aberdeen Green?
  • hawaiiantimehawaiiantime Member Posts: 3
    Anyone heard what the new color will be? Was the new color shown in the 2008 MDX Brochure at the NJ Dealer?
  • epineyepiney Member Posts: 462
    My biggest beef is not having the Power liftgate. If not a Power Liftgate, it is upsurd not to at least have an inside release button for the liftgate. Even my 01 Accord has that for the trunk.

Why would anyone need an inside release for the liftgate. The only reason you need one for the trunk of the car is that it can't be opened without a key. A liftgate can be opened from outside anytime the vehicle is unlocked, which you can do if you are inside ;) Now a button to open the power tailgate from the dash I can understand.
  • parker4551parker4551 Member Posts: 58
    The color replacing Aberdeen Green, is very similar. Where Aberdeen Green looks a little more Jeep like, the new green lightens up a little bit, doesn't look as imposing. I was with a salesman just the other day and the two were side by side. They apparently already have some '08's on the lot. That is what they told me, I didn't go to look officially. I can't imagine them waiting until October to release the '08's as stated before. The market is way to competitive. People are buying '08's now. When shoppers compare vehicles in the next couple of months, people are going to be like "yeah, but this one is a '08" severly handicapping the Acura. So I will check next time I go to the lot, but they told me that was a '08.
    Did they confirm that the only actual change to the vehicle was the inclusion of the auto-dimming mirror as standard?
  • parker4551parker4551 Member Posts: 58
    I will have to take a closer look at the '08 when I get on the lot next time. I really didn't ask about it because I didn't think they had any. It caught me off guard.
    Acura disappoints me some times. A "luxury" suv in 2008 without even the OPTION of keyless start and adaptive cruise. Of the three luxury [non-permissible content removed] makers (Infiniti, Lexus, Acura) I like Acura the best but they advance their product line (pun intended) at a snails pace compared to the other two. It's already showing in their sales.
    I don't think 08 is on anybody's lot. The Dealer is taking you for a ride.
    :confuse: I'm in the process of ordering a new MDX and they are still building '07's - mine is supposed to be built 8/12/07. My salesman knew about the drop of Aberdeen Green but says he doesn't know what the new color will be. He also says he doesn't know about the mirror being added as standard. If mine ends up being an '08 with the mirror that will be great, but I'm not paying any '08 price increase. I plan on having the mirror installed if it is an '07.
    According to AcuraMDX.org Board, the new color for the 2008 MDX is called Sterling Gray Metallic, and comes with either Ebony or Taupe interior. This new color replaces the Aberdeen Green Metallic.

The Sterling Gray Metallic is a little lighter than the Nimbus Grey Metallic.

New Color Paint Code:

NH-741M Sterling Gray Metallic 08703-NH741MAA-PN

Aloha, HT
  • hypnosis44hypnosis44 Member Posts: 483
    I agree; for 40K there should be no question.
  • hypnosis44hypnosis44 Member Posts: 483
    I don't think '08's are out yet or they would be visible on their web site - so far all that shows up is the '07.
  • bw082949bw082949 Member Posts: 2
    So now there are basically 3 greys? Dark Grey, Medium Gray and Light Gray? Seems a bit overkill on the greys, dont you think?
    Too much overkill on some unpopular colors. Look at infiniti FX, all colors look great. For MDX, most of the colors are useless. I'm going for Black.
    I agree on the choice of colors, or lack thereof. I currently have an '03 FX45, in black. It's approaching 70,000 miles, and except for a couple of recalls on this first year model, I've never had to take it in for a problem of any kind - just scheduled maintenance.

If I go with the MDX, which is likely, I'll probably get a black one too.
  • garyamundsongaryamundson Member Posts: 3
    This is pathetic news. With all the excellent features the MDX has, they can't even be creative enough to come up with ANY decent colors. Look at the vehicles currently out there in ANY parking lot and the vast majority are BORING. Nothing but greys, off-whites, and a smattering of weird tan/bronzish colors and bland pastels. The MDX needs another grey like they need a THIRD WHITE. This is very disappointing. And I have yet to see their Dark Cherry Pearl on the road (only in pics), which is the only color in the lineup which I might enjoy. As I live in southern California, black isn't the smartest color. Acura, this is sad, sad, sad.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    I think Acura is being conservative w/ the colors to stay in line with the german automakers. They also have a very boring color selection. BTW I have the '07 in dark cherry pearl w/ parchment IMO the sharpest color combo.
    And the rumours were correct, they've removed the Aberdeen Green and added another boring grey color, as well as removing one of the whites...
    ...and I didn't notice any other changes to 2008, including MSRP pricing (if I recall 2007 correctly), EXCEPT the auto-dim rearview mirror is no longer listed as an available option. So I looked for it as a standard feature, and there it was, a standard interior feature. I guess enough people complained about that :)

Personally I was really hoping that the power liftgate would now be listed as an installable option. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to talk the wife into letting me get the loaded version, darn :P
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    Hi Folks,

Now that the 2008's are on the lot, can anyone tell me if the 2008 MDX models with NAV have an updated NAV for the new model year? If not, perhaps they will come later on.
  • upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Has anyone noticed if the mileage estimates changed on the '08s?
    MDX (like all the Acura's) uses nav system from Alpine. The 2007 disk was just released this month. It is 4.62 and contains some minor feature updates, the latest map and POI data, and the 2007 Zagat Restaurant guide.

If you are getting an early made 08 MDX, I could easily see it having the older disk. I would check to be sure it has the latest DVD included. If not, force the dealer to include it at no charge. Alpine releases the disks every fall and they cost about $200
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    Maybe they will improve/update the rear suspension since it is currently so loud when going over uneven roads?
  • maui19maui19 Member Posts: 31
    I test drove an 07 today and the rear "thump" over uneven roads was very noticable. I'm surprised I don't see more posts about it.
This discussion has been closed.