Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

RX350 - Long Drive, Performance, MPG, Failure etc

jako1jako1 Member Posts: 23
edited July 2014 in Lexus
Would like see if anyone took their RX350 for a drive longer than 500 miles per trip.

Did anyone experience any performance issues, what was the MPG, did any unexpected repair/maintenance needed to be done? Was it covered by warranty or not?

After your first such long trip, would you do a similar trip again?

Thanks

Comments

• kkhomekkhome Member Posts: 9
    Ya. I did that last month from San Jose to San Diego 1000 miles round trip within 3 days. Start by ODO 430mile.
    It's quite comfortable to drive the RX350 on long trip. It
    is no any issue during the long trip,too. If you have unexpected situation, just call the roadside service. They
    will handle for u.
  • maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    Took my RX350 from Tampa, Fla to the Northern
    Georgia mountains in October of last year two months after purchasing it. It was a dream to drive and I even got up to 30 mpg's at one point, probably while driving through the hilly roads with no A/C on and lots of coasting. But I believe overall the mpg's for the trip averaged around 26 mpg's. I've also made two trips to the Florida Keys, as my family lives down there.

I'll probably have to scale back on the long
    trips until my one year mark as I am leasing
    the vehicle, and after seven months it has almost 10,000 miles on it and I'm allowed 15k
    a year for my miles. I've had no problems so
    far, but I would expect this from a Lexus/Toyota product, especially since the car
    is still new. I've always judged a car, in my
    opinion, as far as being a reliable, trouble-free car if it is trouble-free for at least the
    first three or four years. If it stays that way even after four years, that's even better.

I've had good luck with the cars that I've driven over the past 18 years. I've driven
    a Mazda, two Nissans and now the Lexus. Let's hope the good luck continues! :D
  • renzo07renzo07 Member Posts: 10
    I was interested in an RX330 or 350 and I was wondering how well it does on Gas? How every so often does it take to fill up on avg. driving? Why can it not take Regular Unleaded. There is no difference. :confuse:
    renzo, I've had my RX350 since August of last year. So far, driving around town has not been
    too great, mpg-wise. According to the readout, I'm getting between 16 and 17 mpg around town. I've seen much better mileage when driving on longer trips, 26 to 28 mpg, even up to 30 mpg at times. But I haven't taken the car on any long drives in the past three or four months, so mostly it's been city driving. Luckily, I only live approximately 6 miles from downtown Tampa where I work most of the time, with a few trips around Tampa attending depositions and such. I try to fill up on the same day of the week, so when I go to fill up on my designated day, I usually have a quarter of a tank left still.

I've been putting "regular unleaded" gas since almost the beginning when I bought the car, and the car drives perfectly fine. Even the service guy at Lexus said it would be okay to put "regular unleaded." I don't know if that's affecting my gas mileage or not, but around here, there's a 20 cent difference in price between regular gas and premium unleaded
    gas. Maybe when gas prices come back down again, I'll pop a tank of premium every so often in my car.
  • oldfart4oldfart4 Member Posts: 3
    I just yesterday returned from a 1300 mile round trip from Boynton Beach FL to Marietta GA. 2007 RX 350 FWD with about 2500 miles on it. Set cruise control on 80 mph and aimed the car up the Florida turnpike and Interstate 75. 25.4 mpg, no problems.
  • env_engrenv_engr Member Posts: 12
    I have had my 2008 RX 350 for little over 2 weeks and I love it. However, I have been getting, on an average 17-18 mpg with a combined driving of City and freeway. It is 80% City and 20% freeway. I live about 2 miles away from work and there are numberous stop lights in between. I guess that may be a bid factor in the low mpg that i have been getting. I have been trying to be as gentle as possible on the gas and I try to coast as much as I can. So, the low mpg is not due to hard driving.

The first tank of gas(came with the car)lasted for about 280 miles and when I filled in it topped in after the pump stopped at 16 gal. I know that the capcity is 19.2 gal but the rest is reserve I guess. Can anyone clarify what is the reserve gas on a 2008 RX 350? Also, when you refuel the tank to its full capacity, what does the computer read-out say for "crusing range"? Some people on this forum have reported more than 300 miles but I never got to 300 anytime.

Does anyone know if there is a "break-in" period for the new Rx 350 and mpg improves after running a certail mile marker?
    Your situation sounds similar to mine. I live
    approximately 5 to 6 miles from work. I generally don't get more than 17 or 18 mpg's driving around town. But when I take longer trips, such as I just went up to Northern Georgia almost a month ago driving from Tampa, Fl to
    Blairsville, GA, and I got up to as much as
    28 mpg's. So the highway mileage is definitely
    better than the city mileage.
  • giantsfan2giantsfan2 Member Posts: 6
    You guys must drive slow or my wife drive's like a nut, I just fill up my tank today for the first time since it was done at the dealership 3 weeks ago when we brought our RX 08, only driven 227 mile since and fill up at 17.610 gallon, that come's out to less than 14 mile a gallon between 50% city and freeway. That don't sound good at all. Anybody think I should call the dealership and ask them if something is wrong? also the low gas light came on already, so I guess there must be at lease 2 gallons in reserve if the tank is at 19.2 .
    I definitely don't consider myself a slow driver, although I don't always drive like "Mario Andretti" either. Try and give it some time.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I don't always drive like "Mario Andretti" ...

Neither does he! Mario only drove that way on the track and has always been a sane, respectful and law abiding driver on the road.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • luckylouluckylou Member Posts: 308
    We are considering purchasing either the 2008 RX350 or the 2008 RX400H .
    Should we use High octane gas or Regular gas ??
    Does it matter ?
    Thank you.
    Lou
    You missed the joke, Tidester. By referring to
    "Mario Andretti", I was comparing how there are
    a lot of people on the public roads today who
    drive as if they're on a race track!!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Oh, no, I didn't miss it. I was paying my respects to a great man!
  • catdaddylongcatdaddylong Member Posts: 53
    I just got back from a trip from Little Rock,AR to Wichita Falls, TX via OK,City. Freeway all the way, total of about about a 950 miles round trip. I set cruise at 73 and averaged 26 miles per gallon.I have a 2008 AWD RX350.

RX is brand new bought back in Feb of this year. I had no mechanical issue nor did I expect any. I make this trip often. Used 91 octane.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    How smooth is it during highway speeds.

Any more detail what are the good and bad parts you like about this car.

What do you guys suggest if buying a RX wait for the new RX sometime next year or get this.

Lexus seems to be not telling anything about the next RX.

I have a strong feeling the new RX will be much more advanced than the current
  • catdaddylongcatdaddylong Member Posts: 53
    The RX is set up for smooth driving and the unibody is much smoother than the truck bodies I have had with past SUV's being a Chevy Blazer and Ford Explorer.

My favorite things I like is the power back door, rain sensing wipers and the standard sound system is excellent. Also I got 26 mpg with the cruise set at 73 mph. I have AWD and this is much better than the advertised hwy mileage.

The current RX is still setting the curve as far as popularity and sales compared to other luxury entry SUV' s. I bought my 2008 in February knowing that there were no differences in the 2009 models other than a few color changes. I tend to keep vehicles for 10 years or longer to get my money's worth out of them. Waiting for the 2010 model is up to you. You can probably still get a good deal on the 2009 but expect to pay close to MSRP for the 2010 if they make a complete body change.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    Last long trip in the wife's '02 RX300 to New Brunswick, CN returned (per computer) ~21mpg. This was probably 90% highway, although the RX was loaded to the gills with four people, one dog and luggage... In everyday driving, she averages ~18mpg overall.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    I've gotten both extremes. With my '99 RX300, I've gotten 28 actual mpg on mostly flat highway with little wind more than once - close to 29 on one trip. But that's with being conscious of fuel consumption as I drove, coasting long before stops, accelerating gently. Allowing upshifts quickly, and avoiding downshifts as I accelerate (by accelerating gently, the logic will avoid shifting down).

When I'm lead footed and in a hurry accelerating like I'm on my motorcycles going for the diamond lane (to keep from getting run over on the bike), it drops to 14-15 actual mpg.

Typically I average about 20 suburban, and 25 all highway by keeping my Mich Cross-Terrains at about 42 psi (ride is a little harder) keeping the speed to about 65, coasting to (avoid) stops, and accelerating gently, letting up on it for early upshifts. I never leave the car idling just for A/C, the way I see so many do. I'm usually riding my motorcycle these days (compare to 50-60 mpg and far more involving), so when I get into my overly benign RX, it's easier for me to drive with consumption of our natural resources in mind, and therefore less wastefully.

These days I wouldn't miss the extra power and smoothness; a torquey but fuel conscious 4-cylinder with more transmission gearing would work better for me. Too bad it hasn't evolved as an option, instead of making the RX bigger, fatter, and more powerful like all the other vehicles.

Oh, and on RX300 models, REMOVE THE CROSS BARS for the luggage rack, except when you're using them. It's so easy to do. What's with all the unused racks anyway? :confuse:
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    I drive much like you (car-wise, no bike here) for economy. As a child of the '70s, I remember gas lines... Drive like there's an egg under your foot...

The wife seems to like to be constantly on/off the gas. Can't seem to just drive smoothly... At least, like so many, she does not speed up to a red light. I love the pinheads who get frustrated as you coast up to a red. They try to pass, honk and accelerate to a stop! Smart...

Use the XBars for our ski rack, but you're right. I should remove 'em in the summer...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Laurasdada, the truth is that there's quite a difference in the mpg's for city driving and highway driving in the RX. I have an '07 RX350, and most of my driving is to and from work which takes me to downtown. I only live about 6 miles from downtown, so my RX hardly has time to get warmed up. I've been averaging
    about 18 mpg's in the city. I haven't taken the RX on a trip in a while, but I believe on my last trip from Tampa, Fl to the Florida Keys, I got up to about 25 to 26 mpg's. When I first got the car in 2006, my first long trip with it to the mountains of North Georgia, I got up to about 28 mpg's. The onboard computer even showed gas mileage of up to 30 mpg for about 3 or 4 minutes!

So it definitely does well for long trips.
  • bmlexusbmlexus Member Posts: 755
    The current RX is still setting the curve as far as popularity and sales compared to other luxury entry SUV' s. I bought my 2008 in February knowing that there were no differences in the 2009 models other than a few color changes. I tend to keep vehicles for 10 years or longer to get my money's worth out of them. Waiting for the 2010 model is up to you. You can probably still get a good deal on the 2009 but expect to pay close to MSRP for the 2010 if they make a complete body change.

You tend to keep your vehicle for 10 years :surprise:

Yes I know that there wil be no change for the 09 model but what I was trying to say was sometime in late 09 the 2010 will probably be available.

Yes I do know that there wont be much discount for the new redesign.

I wonder when lexus will at least show the redesign which be in 1year time but they are not giving any hints about it.
    I wanted to give an update on the mpg's I got on my '07 RX350.
    I've been driving my RX since August of 2006.
    I hadn't taken the RX on a lengthy trip since last August, so last
    week I took a trip from Tampa, Fl to the Florida Keys, to Marathon, to be exact. The trip computer started at 17 mpg's which has been my usual start off for driving back and forth to work six miles each way, usually 17 to 18 mpg's.

I started off the first hour setting the cruise control at about 71 miles per hour. Then for the next four hours, I intermittantly set the cruise control at 75 miles per hour, give or take, due to more traffic when I would hit areas such as Ft. Myers. Alligator Alley,
    although a little more crowded this time, is almost a dream to drive because there isn't very many cars on that stretch, except beware of Florida State Troopers!!

By the time I got to the beginning of the "18 mile" stretch that starts into the keys, the computer readout had gotten up to 26 mpg's. Now, once you start driving through the keys, you really aren't able to drive past 60 miles an hour, since the speed limit most of the way is between 45 miles per hour and 55 miles per hour. (Once again, gotta beware of those Monroe County Sheriffs!)
    By the time I arrived at my brother's residence in Marathon, the mpg readout had gotten up to 30mpg's!! Not too shabby for a
    CUV!!

Jump forward to a week later and driving around the City of Tampa, the reality has set back in and the mpg readout has already fallen back down to 20 mpg's. (Sigh.) Oh, well. I still feel the RX is one of the best SUVs/CUVs out there for fuel economy, even considering that you've got the 400h out there.
  • snavsnav Member Posts: 7
    Took my RX 350 on a 3,000 miles drive from San Francisco to New Jersey in roughly 48 hours (I love Red Bull).

Drove like a dream. No overheating. No problems. It's been a year since and the car has still had no issues. Likely the most reliable car I've ever owned.
    Snav, the RX has been a dream to drive on long trips. It holds the road well, is quiet and I just love to drive it on trips whenever I get the chance. I took it to Orlando from Tampa this weekend to
    meet up with my family for the Labor Day holiday. My brother always wants to drive the car and really likes how it drives as have other people. I still get a lot of compliments on this car. :shades:
  • techtooltechtool Member Posts: 6
    I just finished a 2000 mile cross country drive in my new (less than 1000 miles at the beginning of the trip) 2009 RX-350. I made the trip in 3 days, with a pretty good load of stuff, and averaged 23.6 mpg running 75-80 mph nearly all the way. The car is an excellent tourer. It's quiet enough (though noisier than something like an LS sedan), the ride is comfortable, the brakes are great, and the handling is very good for an SUV. The seats are pain free. The only issue I had was that the XM radio quit receiving but was restored by an engine restart. Power is quite good at lower speeds, but at high speeds you can feel the effects of the weight and the drag from the large frontal area--not as peppy at speed as my Audi A6 turbo. Excellent vehicle.
  • gardisgardis Member Posts: 185
    DO any of you drive a BMW? I was wondering how the RX compares to the 5 series BMW 530i for example. I am torn between the two vehicles. I understand one is an SUV one is a sedan, but the Lexus is really built upon a sedan frame, isn't it?
    Curious to know your thoughts on these two cars.
    Thanks
    Gardis in CT
    Gardis72@gmail.com
    Techtool, I've had the same problem with my XM Tuner. As a matter of fact, they replaced my tuner for me not long after I got the RX, but it still does the same thing occasionally, not as much as the previous tuner. I can tell when it's about to go out too. It starts cutting out and breaking up the song. When I can safely park the car, then I turn the car off and start it back up and then it's fine. It rarely happens though when I'm on the road. It usually happens when I've just started the car up or in a parking lot.
    Gardis, I had the same decisions to make back when I was looking at the RX also. I was trying to decide between the Lexus RX and the Acura TL. I loved the looks of the TL, but I liked the functionality and the looks of the RX. Also, I feel that the Acura
    dealership just did not have its act together like the Lexus dealership did. I felt like I was treated much better at Lexus. But I really liked the TL. I thought the 2004-2008 model was a beautiful car.

Certainly, the BMW is going to be a better handler than the RX when you take into consideration that it is an SUV, taller ride height, and being a Toyota-based car, the RX is gonna have a softer, cushier ride. But that cushier ride has nice benfits too.
    I actually feel like the RX 'soothes my soul' when navigating these
    "Wild West" highways that we have to drive in!

I'm still considering buying my RX when my lease ends; it's that good of a car. But either way, you really can't go wrong no matter what choice you make. Good luck!
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    Apples and Oranges there, or maybe even apples and grapefruit...!!

Insofar as I know BMW has NEVER built a FWD nor F/AWD vehicle and their obvious good sense would seem to indicate that they NEVER will.

I have driven both the X3 and the X5 R/AWD BMW SUVs and the driving dynamics vs the RX are unbelieveability diffrent. Let off the throttle in the BMW and you get a definite "feel", a VERY definite feel, of engine compression braking.

IMMHO there is no SAFE FWD or F/AWD vehicle in the marketplace fro driving in wintertime conditions. Maybe the sole exception being the Honda/Acura SH-AWD system, maybe....

Think about why it is that NO over the road trucker would ever consider no installing tire chains on the rearmost axle of the trailer in conditions that are adverse enough to require chaining up.

And now consider that the only viable way to use tire chains on a FWD vehicle is at the front, or both. Dangerous, huh..??
  • vic47vic47 Member Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2010 RX 350 AWD Lexus. The sticker on the door and the manual say that the payload is 825 lbs. Whereas many of the web sites show a much higher payload. Does anyone know if the former is accurate? Four guys slightly over 200lbs without luggage would break the weight budget. Somewhat disappointing. I checked the Lexus web site as well as the vehicle brochure and nowhere could I find a payload figure. All the other spec information was there. Intentional omission? Again, a bit disappointing.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    That might be strickly a result of the (poor, lousy) load rating of the factory recommended tires. I would check.
  • vic47vic47 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for the reply. I did check the tire load rating and they are well above anything that would influence the poor vehicle payload. Also, I did e-mail Lexus and they validated that the payload rating on the 2010 RX 350 is 825 lbs. Buyer beware.
    Just out of curiousity, does anyone know what the payload rating on the 2007 model year RX350 is?
This discussion has been closed.