Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Does racing sell cars?

starrow68starrow68 Member Posts: 1,142
edited March 2014 in General
Does race on Sunday, sell on Monday even apply
any more? Then again in F1 they are having that
discussion as well ...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/motorsport/formula_one/6447171.stm

It seems to ignore that like any system it is the driver who
will optimize how it functions. Having driven ESC cars on
road courses for four years, it doesn't make you go faster!
It does limit the mistakes but at the cost of slowing you
down from what is possible. If you are absolutely smooth it
will let you get right to the edge but any bobble and it
comes into play and that slows you down, the more off the
optimum you are and it slows you more. Actually it doesn't
limit the mistakes, it limits the consequences of mistakes.

All that said, I too agree that it would be a mistake in F1.
Tagged:

Comments

• PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    Judging by the folks running around with "3" decals and license plate holders on their car, I'd say that NASCAR sells cars to a fair number of folks.

There's not really a way to directly see the influence of F1 or Indy racing on people's purchases.
  • dificadifica Member Posts: 9
    I don't really think that open wheel racing would sell cars. After all, those cars are so different from anything we drive today, that no one would really buy a car just because of the fact that the manufacturer does well in F1 or whatever form of open wheel racing.

However, i think that NASCAR and touring car series such as the DTM will help selling cars, after all (at least in the touring cars, i don't know NASCAR too well as i don't live in the USA and no-one broadcasts that here) the car models are recognizable as a make of car.

So, it depends a lot what the type of racing is spoken of.

And just to comment in the F1, that's just plain stupid. Just bring back the days of racing that it was all about the driver, not the guys in the pits competing in gearbox tuning.
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,391
    I don't think NASCAR sells as many cars as people think. I'd like to have a nickel for every time I've seen a "24" or an "8" on a Toyota, Honda or Nissan.

Chevy's NASCAR nameplate the Monte Carlo is one of the least popular in the brand's lineup. NASCAR might be great for selling soda, detergent or the like but not so much cars.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

• carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    fan but I don;t drive a domestic nameplate because connect with their products as much as I do with Japanese nameplate products.

American makes have won NASCAR races forever but their(us auto market)market share of the US auto market has drastically declined since 1998 so no race on Sunday sell on Monday doesn't apply anymore.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    "Chevy's NASCAR nameplate the Monte Carlo is one of the least popular in the brand's lineup. NASCAR might be great for selling soda, detergent or the like but not so much cars."

The reason the Monte Carlo is not selling because it has or had an ugly back end. I mean GM tried to mimic the mid 80's Monte Carlo end for the 2000 Monte Carlo's back end but it didn;t work well enough to make the Monte more appealing to buyers than its predessor(the 95-99 Monte) and the auto buying reject it.) I myself prefer the clean and smooth looking 95-99 Monte over the current one.

To go further into it I don;t the mid 80's Monte was a ugly car but just not my style maybe and the back end of the 80;s model did work for that car but not for the 00+ Monte.
  • rockyleerockylee Member Posts: 14,014
    I agree with you pf_flyer ;)

Rocky
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    I think it used to influence peoples buying habits. Before NASCAR went "mainstream" the typical fan(note not every) was much more prone to buy American and buy the particular make, if not model, his favorite driver ran.

Now as NASCAR has broadened its appeal in the last decade and the American car makers have hit hard times, you don't see the showroom traffic generated by the old win on Sunday sell on Monday theory.

In short, buyers have gotten smarter and look for value for their $ over loyalty to a brand.

If Joe Fan has $25k to spend on a new sedan and he evaluates the Accord to be a better value than the Fusion, he's going with the Accord.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

If Joe Fan has $25k to spend on a new sedan and he evaluates the Accord to be a better value than the Fusion, he's going with the Accord.

Lemme say this......I don't know even "1" import owner that associates himself with NASCAR ;)

Rocky
  • grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    ...these days is about the drivers, not the cars.

Everyone I know who follows NASCAR has figured out that what is raced on the track has absolutely no relationship to what is available at the local dealer.

Every NASCAR fan I talk to follows a particular driver, not a particular make or model of car.
    well that isn't true with the fans I associate with. Also a lot of what they learn on the race track is documented and often finds its way in production cars. Alot of sensor technology has came from the race track pal ;)

Rocky
  • andys120andys120 Member Posts: 23,391
    I don't know even "1" import owner that associates himself with NASCAR

I guess you never heard of a certain Porsche owner named Jeff Gordon. I'd be real surprised if he was the only one.

One the fan aside I know NASCAR fans who own Volvos, Nissans, Toyotas and BMWs.

2001 BMW 330ci/E46, 2008 BMW 335i conv/E93

I don't know Jeff Gordon personally. Rodney Carrington, did a song in tribute of Gordon on the Bob and Tom show. :P

Rocky
  • 1racefan1racefan Member Posts: 932
    "Also a lot of what they learn on the race track is documented and often finds its way in production cars. Alot of sensor technology has came from the race track pal "

Can you cite actual examples from the modern NASCAR era? With NASCAR, I think this is a stretch. You can't buy a V8 Fusion or Camry, and the cars are set up to run oval tracks (all left hand turns) - unlike your street car which has to be balanced to turn both ways.

For what it's worth, I watch 75% of the NASCAR races each season (along with other forms of racing), and I own 3 imports.
    I can't site specific examples but Delphi Corp said they developed some of their technology's from NASCAR and IRL racing. That is where I got the info from about 5-6 years ago. Dad says they have dedicated lines at Delphi for racing technology. I know some of the sensors they use now came from race cars but specific ones my memory doesn't go that far back ;)

Rocky
  • au1994au1994 Member Posts: 3,382
    Been a NASCAR fan for as long as I can remember and in that time I have owned 2 Toyota's, 2 Ford's, 1 Chevy, 1 Chrysler, 1 Volvo, 1 Honda and 1 Dodge.

Friends that are fans have an even mix of foreign and domestic's with most of the domestics being trucks.

2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 4xe Granite Crystal over Saddle
    2024 Audi Q5 Premium Plus Daytona Gray over Beige
    2017 BMW X1 Jet Black over Mocha

• grbeckgrbeck Member Posts: 2,358
    That is one particular feature.

The "Fusion" raced on NASCAR tracks has no relationship whatsoever to the Fusion available on the showroom floor in engine size, chassis configuration or drivetrain layout.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I'm not a NASCAR fan and I'm not even a fan of driving fast but Mitsubishi's history of racing prowess has somewhat influenced my decision to buy a 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS with 5-speed transmission. Mitsubishi has won many Dakar Rallies and many races of different flavors that I can't recall off the top of my head because it's not part of my car crazy obsession to love car racing.

But I'm learning that those that do love it really love it and pour their heritage and love and sweat in to it and take it very seriously. I know that the Japanese are very intense car builders and Mitsubishi engineers are worthy of my respect.

I short I feel that racing does indeed sell cars. Although my input may not fit the "norm" in this regard, if indeed there is a norm to fit here any more.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

I don't know those type of people. I guess I've been isolated from them. ;)

Rocky
    Ford Arizona test track may be sold

Potential bidder talking to automaker about one of its Arizona proving sites that employs 200.

Are you going to buy it ????? :surprise: :P

-Rocky
This discussion has been closed.