Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Subaru Legacy

sunnyrodeosunnyrodeo Member Posts: 9
I am looking to get 2008 legacy and i was wondering when subaru usually get next yrs stock.
aug? sept?

Comments

• willyhwillyh Member Posts: 1
    I heard the legacy Wagon is being discontinued for model year 2008. They are only going to make the sedan. Can anyone verify?
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Sounds accurate.

All the wagons will be Outbacks.

All the sedans will be Legacys.

Few will miss the Outback sedan, but we own a Legacy wagon so that one will be missed. :(
  • subahondasubahonda Member Posts: 75
    The Legacy wagon (in all levels including the turbo versions) will still be sold in Canada and will be available for export. Canadian and US models have been identical.
  • lewboblewbob Member Posts: 1
    This is interesting. I live in Colorado and drive a 2002GT with manual and some upgrades. I had my car in the local dealers and browsed the lot. Not a single Legacy wagon to be found. I think they have already been discontinued here. LewBob
    Yep. They dropped the manual trans from the Legacy GT wagon, too. It was only sold in MY2005. :cry:
    I think the first few have been trickling in to dealers already. They should be widely available by the end of the month. :shades:
  • ladybugthepugladybugthepug Member Posts: 3
    We were at the dealer last weekend and his information said the 08 models would be in the showroom at the end of April.
  • paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    I wish Subaru would put up the specs!

-mike
  • sunnyrodeosunnyrodeo Member Posts: 9
    i went to fitzmall website and they have some as coming soon. their msrp shown seems to be 2000 more than 07 model.
    I hope they make non limited GT or limited 2.5i with manual.. whose would be in my price range
    There is no GT non-limited. cars101.com has the MSRPs and the trims. I'm just looking for the nitty gritty specs on em.

-mike
    canandian prices are alot higher than here. especailly with the exchange rate the way it is.
  • ehrens1ehrens1 Member Posts: 1
    www.edmunds.com has more information than even subaru.com does, right now.
  • xando05xando05 Member Posts: 42
    I was walking to my car in the Del Mar Highlands Shopping center parking lot and it drove right past me!!!

I looked twice at the car to make sure it was a 2008. The rear badge said 3.0. Unless the 3.0 version was produced last year than I saw a silver 2008!

IT was very dirty to say the least. I'm wondering it Subaru was conducting testing in the desert outside the san diego county line.
  • subearusubearu Member Posts: 3,613
    some '08's are at dealers and for sale it appears.

-Brian
    No 08 for me... :(

Found a perfect 05 5MT wagon :)

-mike
    Rare combination, mike. Very rare. Did you pick it up? Don't hesitate else it'll be done.
    I'm getting it from a friend actually who was on the 48hrs. He needs to get a pickup truck to haul the Harley he is getting in the spring, so I'm picking his leg up. I would normally not buy a used car, but in this case I know the owner so it'll work out nicely.

Satin White, can't wait to tint the windows, should look hotttt.

-mike
    Looks clean.

Def. get the tint. 35 all around?

I'd also take the A off the back and move the B over so it just said BRU. :D
    Probably get 20% all around :)

After that the mod list looks like:
    Hella Super Tones
    HIDs
    GPS
    Aux-line-in
    Hawk HPS or HP+ pads
    Another set of LGT rims for Faulken Azenis Sports for Summer tires as it comes with Nokian Snows on there now.
    Turbo-back custom exhaust (my buddy Frank who designed the one for the SVX will whip something in-expensive yet well sounding up for me)
    Possibly a Turbo upgrade and/or Cobb AP

That's about it to start with, once the struts are used a bit more I'll go with the specB suspension.

-mike
    Sounds good, mike. Plus you've always sort of carried the torch for old school Subies. Now that the GT wagon is gone completely you can continue to do that. :shades:
    Tis true!

Show me a rare or red-headed-step-child Subaru from the past 10 years and I've owned it or wanted to own it. Now I need a 2nd get Outback SUS/Sedan and/or a Baja.

I absolutely can't wait to get it out on the HPDE circuit, when we aren't racing the other legacy.

"Dude you just got passed by a fat dude in a WAGON"

haaaaaaa

-mike
  • satchmosatchmo Member Posts: 34
    Juice --are you saying that Subary has dropped the Legacy Wagon? What's your source, just out of curiosity? Amazing, when you consider that Subaru has such a strong association with sporty wagons and hatchbacks --one of the features that made it unique as a niche automaker (along with AWD). If this isn't just a temporary glitch --could it be that they're planning to bring the 2008 Legacy wagon at a later date?-- then lovers of sporty wagons will have only Mazda and VW to turn to, unless they can afford the rather pricey Saabs, Volvos, Audis, BMWs and Mercedes out there.
    a
    its all over the press. Subaru dropped legacy wagon and outback sedan. legacy wagon didnt sell very good, people bought outback instead. they are essentially same except the ride height. So subaru will still have wagon just not legacy wagon.
    And they only made a 5MT in 05-06, AT only in 07.

-mike
  • satchmosatchmo Member Posts: 34
    The outback is a fine, dual-purpose sort of car, but doesn't have the Legacy GT's BMW-like road handling.
    Struts, springs, rims and tires are just about all that separates them. Seriously, it's that simple.

-mike
    Cosmetically, the fender flares, as well.
  • logtraillogtrail Member Posts: 74
    I'm confused. While no dealers in the Baltimore area list having the 07 Legacy LL Bean with the 6 cylinder engine in stock, the Subaru web site says that such a car exists. Does Subaru make the Legacy sedan with a 6 cylinder engine?
    There are no more 07s except for a few, have to start looking at 08s.

-mike
  • rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Does Subaru make the Legacy sedan with a 6 cylinder engine?

Yes, but it's an '08 model.

Bob
    There is no Legacy LL Bean 6 cylinder

There is either:
    Legacy 3.0R '08
    or
    Outback LLBean H6

-mike
  • 78carolian78carolian Member Posts: 9
    What a tremendous disappointment when I learned that Subaru had ditched the Legacy GT wagon. I went to a kraut burner and chose the Audi version of the Sube wagon: an A4 Avant with Tiptronic (AT) and 2.0 Turbo. In fact, I couldn't even get a dealer here in Columbus locate one a Legacy wagon for me to test drive. I didn't even consider the jacked-up look of the Outback -- reminds me of a backwoods logwagon.
  • rs_pettyrs_petty Member Posts: 423
    The only thing I can find in the spec list that is different on the 08 is telescopic steering adjustment. 07 was just tilt. Is there any other major adjustment in specs?
    Changed the front and rear bumpers.
    Changed the option packages around a bit.
    No Wagon available.
    Front facia and front fenders different.
    That's about it.

-mike
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    H6 in Legacy Sedan is pretty big news. . . .
    They dropped the Outback sedan, too, so that basically takes its place.
  • iancariancar Member Posts: 31
    In order to compete with new generation of V6 midsize (260+ hp) from Japanese big 3, Subaru will have to give us more than 250hp, but when?
    The legacy isn't mid-sized though. My guess? Next generation will get bigger and have the 3.6L as an option with some bumped up Hp and torque ratings on it.

-mike
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    unless FHI designs larger car for US market.
    For example Euro or Japanese Honda Accord is known as Acura TSX here.
    Does Subaru have enough money to do this?

Krzys
    The next legacy will likely be built off the B9 chassis. The 08 Impreza is creaping into the current Legacy territory in terms of size so it would make sense that it will get larger.

-mike
    I agree. And don't look at horsepower, look at torque.

Here's a torque curve of the 3.6l vs. the outgoing H6 model, you get a good 50 lb-ft more from low rpm all the way up to 5000 rpm or so.

This engine would be way more than enough in the much lighter Legacy.
    The old "no replacement for displacement" theory holds pretty well. The 502s in the boat are amzing with max torque from like 1500 rpms up to 5000 which is redline.

-mike
  • speedingticketspeedingticket Member Posts: 33
    Interestingly enough, Sube is keeping the Legacy Wagon up here in Canada for '08. I thought the wagon was dead as well, good news for me! I am planning to ditch my Saturn SUV later this year and am thinking of a Legacy Wagon. In comparing the interior specs, it appears to be about the same size. Anyone have a family and own a Legacy Wagon out there? I am curious if you feel the Wagon is big enough for a family of 4.
    We have an 02 Legacy wagon. 4 are comfortable, and the cargo floor is pretty wide and deep, too. Space is plentiful.

Friends of ours traded in an Outback (same size) for a Mazda CX7 and they just told me they really miss the space, as the CX7 is much smaller (useable space).
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    I have an 07 Outback wagon, and it is definitely big enough for a family of 4, but there is no room for tag-alongs. Right now, admittedly, mine is a family of 3 (needing their own seats!), but by October #4 will be out of the oven and into its own seat. ;)

I hope, however, that we will not have the Outback by then. We will see though. It is quite difficult to get rid of the darn thing.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • stevecebustevecebu Member Posts: 493
    I hope, however, that we will not have the Outback by then. We will see though. It is quite difficult to get rid of the darn thing.

Is that because of poor resale or because you like the car so much? :D
    Hahhaha. Well, probably some of both! I had it on a used car lot for the past 5 weeks. During the first two weeks it was there, 30 miles were put on it. During the last three, none. Interestingly, though, I have seen at least 4 different Subarus sold from that same lot in that same time frame. But, they were all sedans. This tells me that either folks are not looking at wagons right now, or that the demographic to which that dealership caters prefers sporty and sedan (not wagon). Resale on a Subaru is incredibly good up here in Alaska so no big deal either way, but I figured since I am still paying for the car, I might as well use it.

I had almost forgotten (worked hard to do it!) how enjoyable it is to drive. Now I have to remind myself that I do want to get rid of it and that I should continue to work toward that end. I told my wife that it is to be used strictly as a "solo use" car and that no children are allowed! That way, I do not have to spend an entire day cleaning it to get it ready for sale if that should ever happen. It is amazing how easily the interior of a car stays clean when there are no passengers present. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Well I hope you sell it, although I would think in Alaska the demand would be pretty high for Subaru. I guess you could lower the price and see if it moves.
    I prefer wagons but many are not very sport but there is a trade off with everything. If you have 2-3 cars then it's easier. I can only have 1 car and it's got to do everything.
    I can only have 1 car and it's got to do everything.

That is when a Subaru wagon shines! I had my '96 for the exact same reason. I had it for everything and used it for everything. Even pulled stumps with it a couple times (they were fairly small, mind you!).
    That is when a Subaru wagon shines! I had my '96 for the exact same reason. I had it for everything and used it for everything. Even pulled stumps with it a couple times (they were fairly small, mind you!).

That's why I am looking at buying one when I get back to the US. But the new WRX is an ugly beast. I've owned a Justy and a WRX and a base imprezza automatic and my mother owned 2 Subies as well. my father only likes Buick Land Yachts. But I will wait until I drive it in person before I make any decisions. If the diesel comes out for certain I'd be buying that.
This discussion has been closed.