Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Noisy rear end on 99 Tahoe

jlong66jlong66 Member Posts: 4
I have a noisy rear end on a 99 Tahoe. It makes noise when I turn to the Right but not when I turn Left. It also makes noise when coming to a stop. It seems to start around 30-35 mhp on deceleration. Any ideas?

Comments

• tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Can you describe the noise?

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • jlong66jlong66 Member Posts: 4
    It is a howling noise. at normal city driving speed, there is a pulsating RRRR RRRR RRRR that about all I can describe it. It's not a clunking sound but more of a rotational sound. make sense?
  • ripplefctripplefct Member Posts: 3
    I have the exact same noise. Did you ever find a cure for it?
  • ripplefctripplefct Member Posts: 3
    I have the exact same noise. Did you ever find a cure for it? I'm pretty sure its in the 3rd member. Im just trying to identify the rear end to see if it can be changed out by a rookie.
  • jlong66jlong66 Member Posts: 4
    It is still making the noise. So I am just going to live with it. My mechanic had first replaced the outer seals and axle bearings, but (after the $500 bill) it still made noise. I went back to him later and we discussed what else it could be. He suggested that it might be the carrier bearing. I think that is either side of the 3rd member.
    For the expense of another $500 or more, I'll just accept the noise and drive it until it falls out from under me.
    Good Luck.
  • pipe97pipe97 Member Posts: 1
    I've owned a 99 Tahoe for several years (orig at 70K mi). The Tahoe now has 130K mi and I'm still living with the noise. The noise is more pronounced at speeds from 45 mph to 60 mph under acceleration or normal run - reduced considerably when deaccelerating. A couple of years ago I took it into a Chevy dealer who said it was the pinion bearings in the rear end. A little over $400 and the noise was still the same. Of course the dealer said the pinion bearings were bad. It hasn't gotten any better or any worse. I've just learned to live with it.
  • booogbooog Member Posts: 8
    I have a 99 that squeekes and shakes when in 4 wheel drive on acceleration. When I back off the accelator, it seems fine. I just had the brakes, U-joints and transfer case output shaft seal done. Still squeeks and shakes. Any idea?
  • dieselonedieselone Member Posts: 5,729
    I have a 2000 Suburban with 97k miles that has the RRRRRRR or howling rear-end noise. It has been doing it for years. When I had the trans rebuilt a few years ago, I talked to the trans shop about the rear end and he told me it's a very common problem that is hard to fix w/o replacing/rebuilding the rear end. He said their is little chance of a failure so I'll keep driving it with the radio a little louder. If I drive over 60 it's not very noticeable.
  • emcstnativeemcstnative Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 Chevy Suburban LS 2WD I bought used in 2002 with 50K miles on it. Between 40 and 50 mph, it has a whirring noise that I thought was going to be trouble. My mechanic said the 10-bolt chunks made these noises and was nothing to worry about. After towing boats (3000 lbs) and adding another 75K miles, I have had zero problems. But I did change over to a synthetic rear end fluid right after I bought it.
  • rangesranges Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 Chevy K-1500 that has a clunking nosie when it shifts gears. I have replaced the u-joints but the nosie is still there. I have not changed the fluid yet but plan to. I think I may have to shime the ring or pinion gear but don't know how. Can anyone offer any advise.
  • rangesranges Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 Chevy K-1500 with automatic transmission that has a clunking nosie when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd gear. I have replaced the u-joints but the nosie is still there. I have not changed the fluid yet but plan to. I think I may have to shime the ring or pinion gear but don't know how. I plan to change fluide this weekend but don't know if I need the gm aditive. Can anyone offer any advise
  • 4x4guy20004x4guy2000 Member Posts: 1
    You need to get the axle housing checked for straightness, these housings have a tendency to bend where the axle tube meets the housing. Its a common problem on these rearends. If it is bent it puts a strain on the carrier bearing and the axle bearing. This can be repaired at a rearend shop by heating up the housing and truing up the tube to the housing.
  • abddogabddog Member Posts: 1
    I'm having some issues with the rear end of my Tahoe. The first is a popping noise, almost like driving over bubble wrap, when I come out of reverse. The second is a thud or thunk underneath when accelerating from a stop, a slow crawl or reverse. My truck only has 58K miles on it. The thunking noise might be due to a slip yoke binding problem as I have seen on some forums but not sure about the popping noise. Any suggestions?