Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Ram Fuel System

nightwolf41200nightwolf41200 Member Posts: 6
edited June 2014 in Dodge
I have a 2002 dodge ram 3.7l. The truck quit on me while at a red light. I switched the fuel pump relay with another and it started and ran for about 1 mile and then quit again with the rpm qauge going back and forth and would not start just crank. It is getting gas because it ean for about a mile after switching relays. I think it is blowing relays but don't know why.anyone who has any ideas on what is blowing the relay please replay. Thank You

Comments

• dustykdustyk Member Posts: 2,926
    This may not be a relay problem. If the system is running out of fuel because of a clogged filter in the tank, a vehicle often reacts the same way.

You need to determine the fuel pressure at the injectors.

Regards,
    Dusty
  • nightwolf41200nightwolf41200 Member Posts: 6
    It is blowing relays the relay is showing dead on the meter when I check it.
  • ktranmdktranmd Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2004 ram 1500 4X4 hemi @ 36K miles the engines shut off the acceleration (no power) and the steering column locks up as if I parked and lock the wheel. I have to turn the ignition off and restart and the power returns to the steering and acceleration. any idea? Dealership thinks it is the EGR (emmision gas recirculation)
    Could you be more specific?

What are you using to check the relay with?

How are you determining it is bad?

Regards,
    Dusty
    Hmmm. You mean the steering column is locked like it is before you can shift the transmission gearshift without pressing on the brake pedal?

If that's true your somehow loosing power to the Brake Transmission Shift Interlock Solenoid. That voltage is fed through the instrument cluster assembly.

May I assume that the Instrument Cluster and truck goes dark just like you switched off the ignition swith?

Regards,
    Dusty
    What really happens is when the car is running and driving on the road, the engine gets shut off, no power to the acceleration and the steeering column get really stiff as if I am parked and lock the wheel. The only way to reset and everything working again is to have the ignition turn to off and turn it back on again aand the truck runs fine w/o the locking.
    Is this EGR? They are looking into it.
    Okay, now I understand.

I do not at the moment see a connection to the EGR components and your problem. I would suspect something like a bad ASD or fuel pump relay.

Regards,
    Dusty
    The dodge dealer thinks it is the fuel pump grounding out is what is causing it to blow the relay.
    Could be. Should be easy to check by a simple DC resistance check.

Dusty
  • mike23buckinghmike23buckingh Member Posts: 1
    truck runs but seems sluggish then every now and then it shut off and hard to keep running then after while starts find and runs ok before doing this again
    I just got my truck fixed by the dealer It was blowing relays and shutting off. The changed a cam and a crank sensor and fixed a small vacume leak. Check those sensos.
    My truck runs then it got shut off and steering wheel locks up and no acceleration. The dealer fixed the EGR valve (emission gas recirculation). It has been running fine for the past 4 wks since the last dealership visit.
  • antoniantoni Member Posts: 3
    I have had this truck 4 month& half and it has 70k miles. it started acting up on second week: loss of power at the speed between 45- 50, and its worst in morning starts (even if truck has been warmed up for 3,4 minutes in 80 degree weather). As problemems accured it was taken back to the dealer and i was without it for over 2 weeks.they came up with fuel transferpump, but it did not solve the problem.Iwould hate to be with no truck for another week or two if i can address this myself.OBD scanner comes up with code PO216. let me know what u think, thanks
    I hae a dodge ram 1500 which had a simular problem. It shut down and blowed my fuel pump relay and when I switched relays it done it again. The delar replaced me cam and crank sensors and spark plugs. The truck runs now but misses a little. Check those sensors.
  • antoniantoni Member Posts: 3
    this truck is 3500 diesel, and that code(PO216)reads injection timing control circuit malfunction.Any ideas where is it located and if so, is it possible to take care of it myself with little money? thanks
  • dwg3dwg3 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 95 ram 1500 gas V8. I parked it for two months and came home and it ran like it was running out of fuel. I ended up pulling the tank and pulling the fuel pump. The filter was total plugged. after the new pump was installed it still runs like it's running out of fuel. It idles ok but put it in gear and it dies. I checked the fuel pressure and it's betweek 10 and 20 lbs. I don't have access to a scanner at this time and I'm stumped. any suggestions. PS I just ran it and it idles ok but when it stalls and I try to re-start it, it just cranks for a while before it starts. I checked the fuel coming in the injector rail while this was happening and there was NO gas coming in the line......
    dave
  • coldhands1coldhands1 Member Posts: 1
    i got a 1997 dodge ram 1500 it will run good for like two weeks then start shutting off every half a block and re starting itself cause its in motion. if it does shut off not in motion i have to shake it to get it to start. seamed like maybe was sensetive to cold and moisture. i pulled the tank and its spotless. any ideas?
  • auggy1932auggy1932 Member Posts: 3
    I bought a new Ram in 1999 and it didnt take me long to realize that the gas mileage was abyssmal. I average about 7 or 8 in small town traffic and never over 17 on the road despite keeping at the designated 65 or less mph, the tires properly inflated, removing the tailgate, etc. The odd thing is that I averaged 19.3 on a long trip on hiways where I traveled 70 mph or even a little higher. This kind of blew the theory that ( to a point) the slower one drives the less gas is used. I later discovered that (with my own gage) my fuel pimp was producing appr. 65 lbs pressure to the fuel rail. I had a garage diagnostic run and mentioned this high pressure and was told it didnt make any difference in my miliage. . I dont see it that way. I think at the speed of 75 mph the injectors are sucking up a lot of gas and the pressure is dimished at the rail/injectors yet supplying sufficient pressure but decreasing the amount the injectors are emitting and thus providing better mileage. I would like more information and other people's thoughts on my dilema......auggy1932 . .
    yup had simular problem turned out to be bad ground to the tank. I ended up splicing a wire into the ground lead at the tank and runing it to the frame. Truck runs great now. Mileage still sucks but that's why there's a 35 gallon tank in the truck I guess.... lol
    dave
    Cold Hands;
    I read your reply to an earlier call for help and wonder if you read mine which is a little higher on the list. I was wondering if the high pressure put out by my fuel pump is creating my high gas consumption problem. As I stated I had taken it back to the dealer a number of times for this problem (and others) and they refused to look into it and even made the statement that my having a long bed caused the problem which I dismissed as being a "put off".
    I wonder if other 318cid Ram owners are experiencing the same problem. aug
  • Gitchy11Gitchy11 Member Posts: 1
    Where can I find the fuel filter and how do I change it.
    Cold hands. I get in the range of 15 around town with out a load. If I'm hauling a heavy trailer, which I do on ocassion, you can actually watch the gage fall.... I'm not a mechanic but from what I've read the pressure is for the fuel injection system, and is modulated by the computer so it really doesn't have much to do with your milage. One thing you can check is the engine temp. If the gauge never gets above say 1/4 way up you may want to look into a thermostat. Other than than it's just the nature of the beast. That's why there's a 35 gallon tank in the truck. lol good luck.
    dave
    Unless there's an after market filter on the truck, which I recomend putting on, the filter is in the tank. Which means you either have to take the tank out or lift the bed, neigher is a pic-nic. I had a problem with junk in the tank and had to replace the pump along with most of the lines to get the curd out. I put an additional inline filter just under the drivers door. The lines are metal so you have to cut the line and put good hose clamps on to hold the filter, just remember the pressure runs around 50psi so go form there. good luck
    dave
    Hi dwg3
    The to and reply to names on these messages get a little confusing.
    You mentioned that the thermostat could be at fault concerning my poor gas mileage. That was one of the first things I requested to be replaced on the very first checkup back in early 1999. The temp gage on the dash only indicated about 180 deg. They said they replaced it but I noticed on the temp gauge that it didnt get any higher than before. I later replaced both oxygen sensors at my own expense because a faulty one (upstream) could reek havoc with gas mileage. Thanks for the reply and would like any more suggestions/data/help you might come across.
    I think (as soon as the weather warms up) that I will replace the thermostat again( if it ever was replaced) and go a little higher.one It may only have a 185 deg. in it as OEM and will put a 195, if available. I'll let you know the outcome.
    Incidently, I dont understand how the engine speed (rpm) influences the computer to lean up or enrichen the amount of gas to the cylinders.....can you enlighten me???.. aug.
    Sorry Aug I can't enlighten you a bit on the rpm issue. There is another site you can try. The NPR (national public radio) show Car talk (Click & Clat the tappit brothers) which has a site cartalk.com. There is a chat room and message board available on the site. good luck.
    dave
  • jadogjadog Member Posts: 2
  • jadogjadog Member Posts: 2
    just put in a new in tank fuel pump and relay is not letting power to fuel pump i can manual open relay to send power but need to find out what allows relay to open up and do its job if any one knows any thing about this please let me know thanks
  • tommy2002c5tommy2002c5 Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same issue. Did you ever get an answer to this problem?

Thanks,

TOmmy
    I took my truck to the dealer and they replaced the cank and cam sencore and my spark plugs.
  • vanstaatsvanstaats Member Posts: 1
    We had been driving on the freeway about 80 miles when we smelled a strong solvent-type smell. Then we saw the check engine light had come on. Got off freeway, opened hood and everything in the engine compartment was coated and dripping with diesel fuel. It was all over the side of the truck too (driver’s side).
    Diesel mechanic came to us, said the injector fuel feed line (I might not be saying this right) tube had sprung a leak. He said his garage has had this turn up recently in several Dodges with the inline 6 engine, 2006 specifically.
    And he said the part is on back order and it can take a dealer a MONTH to get the replacement tube!
    So we had to leave the truck out of town at that mechanic's, and a friend came to get us. If this is a known problem like he says, no one ever warned us about it.
    Has anyone else had this happen? Does it really take that long to get the part? Is there a recall yet for the defective tube? Thanks.
  • geescustomsgeescustoms Member Posts: 1
    :confuse: Hi, I own a 1995 dodge ram 2wd v8,5.2 .Now i'm working on replacing the brake lines/fuel lines.I need help on the correct fuel line size ??????/3/8,1/4,5/16????????.If anyone knows the correct size off a 1995 dodge ram please let me know....Thank You...Oh and one more thing i need to know the right fuel adapter size, the one that connects to the fuel pump...Please anyone..........
  • bountyhunter1bountyhunter1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Dodge 1500 with a 5.2/318. My wife went out the other morning and truck would not start at all. Checked the coil ( GOT A SHOCKING EXPERENCE) It's has juice. Checked #one plug wire and it went through the cycle. Plug sparked three times real good then the spark kinda faded off to where I barely seen the spark. I should note that the other morning it would not even hit using eather. any help would be appreciated.Thanks ken
  • rammittrammitt Member Posts: 1
    Did anyone else get hit with the new Redesign Fuel filter that Dodge has done.Went to have my oil changed and wanted to replace the fuel filter and they said that they no longer carry that filter I would have to replace the cartridge and all for 125.00 BUCKS,well I did it but called the headquarters and told them it was crap that I had to pay for their REDESIGN,they gave us no other option and they ...... AGREED,so now I'm getting a refund from them,so if you get caught buy this call and complain :shades:
  • dasboot72dasboot72 Member Posts: 115
    You only have to buy the entire thing once. After you have the new design installed you can buy just the filter again.
This discussion has been closed.