Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX 350 Rattles

jean53jean53 Member Posts: 1
I have an RX 350 with dashboard rattles that have only gotten worse after being "fixed." Does anyone else have this problem with the 350? Was it resolved to your satisfaction? Any helpful hints for when I take it in again?

Comments

• maximafanmaximafan Member Posts: 592
    Sorry, jean53, about the rattles. I've had no
    dashboard rattles in my '07 RX. I've had it since August of last year. I did have one rattle that turned out to be the map pocket on my passenger front door. It was opened out a little bit and after I closed it, the noise went away. Other than a loose bolt for the spare tire which the dealership tightened up, I haven't had any problems. Although, since I
    do have satellite radio, the radio is cranked up most of the time, so, who knows? I might just not be hearing any of it 'cause I'm enjoying my XM too much. :shades:
  • stephie1stephie1 Member Posts: 15
    I have a 1999 RX300 that has also mysteriously started rattling..first it was in the front near the dashboard...or maybe over the passenger wheel...I never can quite place the location. Anyway, now the whole vehicle is rattling and the engine light is on. There is definite vibration in the rear near the license plate area. Strange. Disturbing too.

So, I am not too happy with Lexus right now...the car only has 50k miles on it and shouldn't be acting like this. I am afraid it is turning to junk very quickly. I was expecting it would last me another 75-100k miles with proper maintenance...but I think the quality isn't going to meet my expectations and I should unload it while I can!

Also, initially when I got the vehicle, I had a problem with the lock in the tumbler sticking, apparently this is a problem with the lexus models...if you take it to the dealer to get the tumbler unstuck so you can turn your vehicle on, they charge you $1600 to replace the tumbler and make new keys and new locks on all the doors because it is all connected to a fail-start on the engine some how and is very specific and delicate. Well, I didn't want to pay $1600 for a defect that LEXUS should fix for free because it is a common fault with the models, so I was able to get a guy (a locksmith) who is contracted by Lexus to do it, to come out to my home and fix it for $150. So imagine the mark up from Lexus to its customers! And my insurance reimbursed me for the locksmith's fee.

I do like the luxury feel of the Lexus though.... I contacted a dealer regarding getting a new RX350, asking if they could find me a new 2006 left and they were pretty rude and said they could not help me, that no more new 2006 RX 350s existed. IS this possible? What do you think?
    Stephie, I'm sure you meant the '07 RX350, right? The '06 would have been the RX330. I saw on another post somewhere (I believe it was "prices paid"), and the person who posted said that the dealership where they were looking at RX's had sold all of their '07 RX's.

Not too shabby for a car that's nearing the end of its four-year cycle as far as sales of the RX goes.
    Opps, sorry, I ideally wanted to find 2006 RX model...so if it was a 330 model only in 2006 that would have been fine.

But I guess there aren't any 2006 models of the 330 on the lots anymore that are not preowned. In my post I forgot that it was a 330 in 2006 and not the 350.

And I am having a hard time now finding just a 07 RX350 with the features I want also, so you are definitely right, they seem to be doing quite well in sales! This probably means they are not as willing to haggle as other manufacturers I'm thinking?
  • tleevtleev Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2005 RX330 with about 28,000 miles and mine has been rattling since very early on. I have rattles in the dash and in the hatch. They are very annoying and what I think unacepatable since it is a Lexus and it should be a solid vehicle. I have had them repaired on numerous occasions only to have them come back or to have never gone away. And, the last time it was in and they attempted to repair the dash rattle, the car ended up being in for about a week, since they messed up the entire electrical system. I like my car a lot, but am thankful I leased it instead of buying it, since I can't wait to give it back and get a car with out the annoying rattles.
    Yeah, it's a shame that a car that is otherwise great in most other aspects can be plagued with these noise and rattle issues. I've been dealing with a rattle issue for a while now on my '07 RX350. I finally isolated pretty much where the noise was coming from. It seems that when the "60-part" portion of the rear bench seat is folded down, the rattling noise stops. So the next time I take it in, I'm going to bring this to the Lexus service department's attention. Right now, I'm driving with the seat down to avoid being annoyed!

By the way, I don't know if anyone has experienced this on their RX or not, but just starting today, I've been having something weird going on with the power liftgate. It will open when I push the button on the dash, but no sooner do I get to the back of the car to get my things out of the back, the power door starts to beep and come back down. That's without me touching anything. At first I thought maybe I was accidentally touching the remote key, but I'm not, so I don't know why this is happening all of a sudden. Hopefully, someone out there may be familiar with what's going on here. Thanks.
  • jbl85jbl85 Member Posts: 49
    I have an 05 Rx330 and have gone through the ringer with my dealership on this issue. First I had the knocking above my head in the sunroof, then the Data Dot brackets in the engine compartment, then the hood needed adjusted (very easy to do - could have done it myself if someone just showed me), and the rattling in the hatch. The dashboard rattle was only when it was cold, and they fixed it by stuffing more insulation in between the windsheild and the point where the dashboard meets the glass. I still hear it sometimes (again only when it is cold out, say less than 30 degrees). All of the other irritants were fixed, although it was very frustrating during the process...the dealership is a 2 hour round trip for me and the service manager would not honor the salesman's commitment to come pick the vehicle up for service for me (don't even get me started).

ANYWAY, with regard to the hatch noise...I think this is a real poor design on Lexus' part, but you need to buy some felt pads and put them in between where the cargo holder brackets meet the rear hatch, and the noise will go away. OR, if you are not using the cargo cover, just cock the brackets back manually so that they are not engaged, thus not making contact with the rear hatch. Hope this makes sense.

Like I said, poor design...we have an 06 Prius with the cargo cover and it makes ZERO noises...much better design. Just my .02.

JBL in Pittsburgh

...Happy Thanksgiving to all!
    :)
  • jdw48jdw48 Member Posts: 4
    On your RX330 you talked about the rattle above your hed in the sunroof. I have one on the left side of the sundroof along the edge. i just bought this a short time ago and it is driving me Crazy. What did you or the dealer do to fix it?
  • cecartercecarter Member Posts: 7
    I had a rattle in the back of my 06 RX330. It turned out to be the tonneau latches at the back of the slider rail. push them down to latch them and my rattles went away. I dont use the tonneau cover much. It is sitting on a garage shelf. The rattles drove me nuts on a long trip. I had my son drive me around until I located the rattles and fixed them on the spot. Now the car is quiet. No dash rattles at all.
    Good luck.
  • asmirnoffasmirnoff Member Posts: 2
    I got exactly same problem and its driving me nuts, did you find the solution for this ?
    I finally got an answer on what was causing my the rattling on my vehicle. It was the struts that were loose and needing to be replaced. (How they got that way, who knows..) The mechanic showed me that the struts were located on either side of the hood and controlled the bounce and quietness of the ride. It cost me about $500 to repair both (replacement), although I suspect that I probably only needed to have one replaced. Oh the joy of dealing with auto mechanics. :/
  • soundman05soundman05 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I was wandering if any of you are earing some cracking noise from your RX350. I've own mine since almost two years now and it's getting worst. I have some noise coming from the dash, not always. I had to remove the vinyl trunk cover, "SORRY don't know the english word for that one" it was making such noise and I still ear some noise coming from the cargo space. I've check all the part from the jack and nothing is loose. I'm not very happy with Lexus right now, my RX have just over 32000KM. I'm trying to imagine what is gonna be when I it 100 000KM...
  • bostoncigarbostoncigar Member Posts: 23
    The rattle seems to manifest itself at speed over 50mph. It sounds like it is coming from the left roof if you are driving the car. It is NOT over your head. The rattle you hear is a baffle under the car for one of the exhaust pipes. If your car is still under warranty, the dealer will put some insulation on the metal baffle at no charge. I thought it was the roof rack.. etc. This is a known rattle and an easy fix.
  • muoithangmuoithang Member Posts: 1
    I have a certified 2007 RX 350, noise came from driver seat on steady highway speed at 60mph. I brought back to the dealer to have them found out. They said they could not duplicate the noise. The sound was so annoyed on the trip to Washington DC to see cherry blossom. May be this is the reason they should take a look. The noise never sounds on local street.
  • mitchellrowemitchellrowe Member Posts: 92
    i purchased a 2012 rx350 awd , and it makes more noises inside the car ( dash - etc ) t, than my grandchild in the crib . i have a 2011 ls 460 that you can hear your eyes blink . for $ 50 k the lexus rx is a noise machine joke . it does not even have a spare tire on a full size rim ( has a doughnut ) , For another $ 20 k get an ls 460 which is $ 30 k cheaper than an s class mercedes , and better . the rx350 awd , built in canada is trash on wheels .
  • kwbuggykwbuggy Member Posts: 11
    I can't imagine that any changes over the summer have made the RX become noisy, mine (2011, 17,000km) was made in April and is as quiet as any car I've ever been in, including A6s, A8s and BMW 740/760s . I would suggest that you take it back to the dealer after emptying the glovebox and all the storage areas, including the one in the centre rear armrest. Having just visited the factory, I know that they test every one of them for rattles before they leave the plant.
    On the subject of spares, BMWs don't even have a spare, just super expensive run-flats.
    The LS460 is a great car but in totally different class than an entry level SUV like the RX. Everyone should take a weekend to test drive whatever vehicle they intend to buy to be certain that it meets their needs and has all the equipment they want.
    mr buggy : i know you are canadian , as you quote your meter in kilometers . like a hockey game , you wish to defend your canadian junk plant for lexus meat wagons . ..... FACT IS ; I HAD A 2011 AND SHE WAS QUIET AS COULD BE EXPECTED BY A LEXUS . ONLY NOISE I HEARD WAS THE MICHELIN'S WHISKING FDOWN THE ROAD . THE 2012 IS A RATMOBILE TO THE N'TH DEGREE . i didn't ask for your suggestion , which you graciously volenteered to "take it back to the dealer" . I will reply to your suggestion , and reply : THE DEALER DID NOT BUILD THE CAR , THE CANADIANS DID . MORE THAN LIKELY THERE WAS A PART SHORTAGE , OR THE LINE MEN WERE STILL RECOVERING FROM THE NIGHT BEFORE'S HOCKEY GAME . my suecond suggestion is : KEEP YOUR 2011 , and DOM'T TRADE IT FOR A NEW ONE UNTIL LEXUS GET'S IT'S PARTS IN ORDER , GOES BACK TO BUILD THE MODEL IN JAPAN .
  • azmike11azmike11 Member Posts: 1
    We had the same problem and I fixed it. The crossbars on the roof rack have some clearance inside the termination housings on either side. It will vibrate because of the wind at higher speeds. You can loosen the wingnuts on one side of the crossbar and slide the rack rail slider about 1/16" forwards or backwards to "wedge" the crossbar into the housing. The rattle will stop.
    took the crossbars off completely . that eliminated wind noise ... the rattles are , in my opinion due to the engine and transmission mis communicating , and causing the vacume necessary for shifts to act like a tin lizzy . i did have a 2011 RX 350 , with zero problems . this one is a 2012 . I SOLD THE CAR BACK TO THE DEALER FOR AN $ 800 LOSS OF PRINCIPAL .
  • navionavio Member Posts: 8
    We just purchased an rx350 awd and have driven it 25 miles. At an idle position stopped at lights the engine sounds appear to be quite loud. Much louder than our 2006 outback at idle. Is this normal for this car? has anyone else experienced this? is it possible it is loud because it's new. I can't really describe the noise but we both were surprised at how loud compared to the Subaru. This is our first Lexus and we always heard they were quiet but this is not quiet, any comments would be appreciated. Thanks
    navio : lexus cars are normally unaudible ( quiet ). you said you drove 25 miles . if you have less than 200 miles , i would (myself) , take it back to the authorized lexus dealer and ask for another car . try not to sweat the color . a car that won't annoy you is worth more to the owner than color . for some reason , which i am not privy to know , the 2012 rx is either perfect , or a rat . the 2011's with few exceptions , were bulletproof ( trouble free ) . if you'r's is a 2012 , go ask for another one until you're happy . Lexus wants you to be happy . the car is NOT built in Japan .It is built on the canadian side of , above detroit . There are Lexus freaks like myself who feel some of the 2012's were built with parts shortages due to the earthquake . All the other lexus models , like es 350 , ls 460, etc. are real lexus cars ... built in japan . {the aforementioned is pure speculation on my part} we bought a 2011 and a 2012 e350 ( 2 cars ), both cars are similar but not the same . However both the 2011 and 2012 ES 350 are going to be known as "the best of the breed "
    the 2013 is going to change bigtime . the es 350 is a bargain . we can't tell it from our LS 460's .
    good luck trying to be happy with your dealer . more than 200 miles , they arenot going to swap you out .
  • navionavio Member Posts: 8
    Thanks Mitchellrowe, I just emailed the manager at the dealership. Have you ever dealt with Lexus of America?
    do not know your dealer . we live in south new jersey . our dealer is lexus of cherry hill . ... sending an e mail will not do much , even if he/she reads it . meanwhile , you are putting miles on the rx 350 . the more miles , the less chance you have of an exchange . you also want to catch the motor vehicle work , so the vehicle is not titled . once it's titled to you or tmcc , it is a used car . a used car has diminished value compared to new . i forgot to ask yesterday : did you check to see if there is enough oil in the crankcase ? { check the oil } . the engine will run without damage because lexus uses a synthetic blend of motor oil . low oil level will show itself in a noisy engine . has the dealer shop foreman listened to the car ? have you listened to , and driven another 2012 rx 350 ?
  • lexusunsatsfdlexusunsatsfd Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2011 Lexus RX 350. It currently has 26,000 miles on it. Since purchasing the car I have had many of the rattle issues that have been reported on this site. I have spent literally hours trying to isolate the source of the rattles. I have tightened down the spare tire and placed insulation around it. I have taken out all of the PLASTIC compartments in the rear area and have put foam insulation tape - like you use around doors and windows - where all plastic edges meet. This remedied some of the rear noise. However, the cable that goes to the gas tank cover rattled inside the rear left side panel. The service department had to place heavy insulation inside the panel to stop the rattle. I have also had a very annoying rattle under the glove compartment. I can't resolve this rattle and neither has the service department. In addition, the PLASTIC cover under the glove compartment continues to come unsnapped. In fact, a screw fell out from under the compartment and landed in my floorboard three days ago. I have never had a car where a screw fell out on to the floor. All in all, considering all the rattles I have had to deal with, I think the RX has been one of the worst cars I have ever owned. I am wanting a new 2013 SUV. I will not be going back to a Lexus for an SUV. Let me just say, I am not bashing Lexus. I just purchased a new 2013 Lexus ES 350 after trading in our 2011 ES 350. There is no comparison between the two cars. The new 2013 rides and drives like a dream.
    lexusunsatsfd : a question ...
    are you trading the rx 350 or breaking a lease _________________________
    -------------- if you have roof racks ( 2 long bars on a slider ) : REMOVE THEM
    -------------- use 93 octane ( premium fuel for 2 tanks ) ... ( some of the engines need higher octane to create enough vaccume on down strokes ) this lack of vacume causes engine vibration that you cannot feel , but the poorly assembled canadian - american plant feels at the joints . also thelack of enough vacume causes the xmission to shift late - which causes more subliminal shakes .
    does the rx350 drift left or right ... or vibrate in the seat or steering wheel at certain road speeds ? __________________________
    does the vehicle have bridgestone tires ? ________________
    please answer the 3 questions and remove the roof racks and run 93 octane !
    TO NOTE : THE RX HYBRID IS BUILT IN JAPAN ( not canada ) , AND HAS EVEN WEIGHT DISTRIBUTION DUE TO THE ELECTRIC MOTORS AND LI ION BATTERIES . ... the all wheel drive is not exactly smooth running as riding on glass like the 2 wheel drive of the es 350 you had and just bought .
    the rx 350's sold in states like florida are mostly front ( 2 wheel drive ) .
    i own ls460's with all wheel drive , and they run like butter spread on toast (smooth) ... even weight distribution (especially the "L") , and like your es350 built in japan by people who care .
    the mercedes suv's with awd run poorly also .
    Note : YOUR NEW ES 350 DOES NOT HAVE A 5TH WHEEL . LEXUS DOES NOT EVEN SELL ONE FROM THE FACTORY . THE WELL FITS A FULL SIZE WHEEL AND TIRE , BUT FOR $ 45K ON THE ES 350 THEY SELL YOU A CAR WITH A DONUT SPARE ! THE 2012 , IF THERE ARE ANY LEFT , HAS A 5TH WHEEL AND TIRE ( AT RETAIL COSTS ABOUT $ 1300 MOUNTED AND BALANCED ) - AND THE CAR IS CHEAPER .
    awaiting your replies ...........
  • lexusunsatsfdlexusunsatsfd Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2012
    Will be trading in the RX 350. It's not a lease car. I had a 2013 RX 350 picked out that was still in Japan but decided I just didn't want to take the chance with another RX. We searched and searched for an RX 350 with a J in the Vin number, meaning it was made in Japan. We found only a few. They are now making most of the RX's in Canada. The sticker on the new RX's state that approximately 60% of the parts on the new 2013 RX are made in the US and/or Canada and they are assembled and painted in Canada. I think that is the major issue with the RX. I will never purchase another Japanese auto that is not make entirely in Japan. If I wanted an American made car, I'd go back to buying a Ford. By the way, I owned a Ford Explorer and it was a great auto. Since I am leaving Lexus and the RX, I might just try another Ford Explorer. At least if it rattles, I didn't pay an arm and a leg for it and expectations will be a lot less.

I don't have roof racks. Don't feel any vibration from the engine. That has never been a problem. Also, the RX handles fine, no drifting. It does not have Bridgestone tires on it.
  • bob0121usbob0121us Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a Certified 2010 RX350, with 20K miles, and the noise coming from the back seat area was really annoying. I found after I raised the headrest on the middle seat, so it didn't touch the other seats, the noise was much better and almost gone. I can't believe for the amount I paid for this car that the back seats would rattle so much. The salesman said I wasn't used to an SUV and they make more noises than a car. The steering column was also broken and had to be replaced two weeks after I purchased it. So much for the certification process. And, I had a mechanic check out the vehicle before purchasing it as well. I'm glad I found this forum and realized it wasn't just my SUV. I bought it for reliability, so I hope it lasts a long time. My friend has one that's 12 years old and has 206,000 miles and is running great.
    to lexusunsatsfd : here is a tidbit that should beat with the rhythym of your great happiness in the Canadian built rx 350's . LAST MONTH , LEXUS ANNOUNCED THEY WILL BE BUILDING A GREAT PERCENTAGE OF THEIR LUXURY TIN LIZZIES HERE IN THE STATES . ... really !
    100 k km ? you'll love it ! ... you'll have a motor home to pull it .
    simple fix .... turn the rx around , and drive backward . the noice will be on the opposite side and you won't hear it . I know a guy who took out the back seat , and mick'd a porta potty in the center . now all hears is swish , swish . as far as odor goes , the smell of the real leather covers the sewage odor . besides , sewage does not rattle . his porta potty is warranted for 10 years , unlimited mileage . ok ... to empty the potty , there is a lever on the left ( driver side ) ... when you are atan lot or driveway of a guy you don't particularly like ... for example a sales mgr. or used car mgr. at your lexus dealer , pull the lever next to their car .
    New message posted in Lexus RX 350 Rattles
    #34 Lease Mazda cx5 by dcfak Nov 14, 2013 (10:56 am)
    Whats the cheapest monthly lease I could expect to get on the 2014 Mazda cx5 touring model with moon roof Bose add on and tow package, no leather seats or navigation. Leasing 36 or 48 months with 1200 miles per month? Can this be done at $230 per month no money down in NC?
    Small World Mr. DcFak ; as I was talking to an owner / mgr. at lexus of cherry hill in mt laurel who drives a mazda cx 5. he told me the lease is probable , as he pays about the $ 230 / month for 36 months on his mazda . he finds it quieter than his rx . his lease though is for 18 k miles per year ( more than your 1200 miles a month ... to note : I believe leases are quoted as miles per year not per month ).... give him a call to check out your mazda deal .