Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Cavalier LS brakes

maria12maria12 Member Posts: 4
edited June 2014 in Chevrolet
I drove my '95 Cavalier fine yesterday (32,000 miles only) and went to go out last night and within 5 min. of driving the brakes just WENT...they went nearly to the floor, i had very little control, heard a noise when i stepped on them and it was very frightening trying to get back home safely. Is this normal and what do you think it will involve? (Cost wise also?)

Comments

• maria12maria12 Member Posts: 4
    now only 2 weeks after my light problems, my power windows will not go up and down periodically. one time they work fine then, not. this time my driver window was 1/2 way up and would not go down....do you think i may have a totally faulty electrical system? i'm not sure where i receive answers so if you want to email me please please do so at lisann94@yahoo.com. thanks for any help you can offer, i'm a Sr. citizen with limited income and this car is draining me $$$ wise weekly.
    hi how do i find answers to my questions, i'm stumped here. maria (thanks)
  • ecmiller63ecmiller63 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 Cavalier. Changed front breaks and rotors several weeks ago. Just noticed a vibration in the front end, just enough to rattle the dash board when moderately applying breaks to slow down from 50-55mpg. Checked bearings, tie rod ends and ball joints and all look to be tight.

I'm hoping someone can help me determine the cause.
  • gonogogonogo Member Posts: 879
    Sorry, warped rotors, lots of poor quality rotors on the market, Chinese to be exact.
  • jackguitarjackguitar Member Posts: 4
    I noticed I'm getting no brake fluid being distributed out of my master cylinder weeks after my abs light and my brakes light went on. My abs is not working and without rear brakes, stopping is a real challenge here in the snow of N.E. Ohio! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    I'm so sorry i can't be of help to you. I had a hole in my brake line, (that's what i found out after taking it for service)...so sorry :( I know the feeling of challenge with having no brakes, please get it fixed NOW....don't put yourself at risk.

To the above poster, I don't know why but it seems most mechanics don't get the serpentine belt on right (size), on the Cavaliers, my bet it the shaking is from that.
  • johnnybravo3johnnybravo3 Member Posts: 7
    Check your brake fluid level.If its ok then your master cylinder is bad. If the fluid level is low or out,those lights will go on.
    Thanks. Do I have to replace the entire master cylinder? Or is there anything I could do or check to fix mine? I hear those cylinders could cost $400.
    You could get one at a junk yard,that would cost less.Some brake places will rebuilt them. In most cases the auto stores wiil sell you a rebuilt one.$400.00 I beleave is the cost of a new one.
    I appreciate it!
  • james150james150 Member Posts: 2
    I replaced the master cylinder on a 1994 Cavalier Z24, only to discover one of the rear brake lines would leak when trying to bleed the front. I replaced the rusted through brake line, but now I can't get air to come out of either rear brakes, let alone fluid. Is there a shut off it the ABS is disconnected, or if all the weight is taken off the rear suspension?
  • vech33vech33 Member Posts: 1
    my rear brakes are sticking and have been doing so ever since i put new shoes on. i wonder if i put the wrong shoe in the front or is it my drums out of round . cant figure it out lot worse when it sets awhile or is damp like early mornings.
  • gregosdge1gregosdge1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi I have been trying to find this answer out online for a few days now and i can't seem to find the correct answer. So my break light is out on my rear spoiler, well one of them is (bulb) when i tried to unsrew the light assembly it won't come out. I am not sure if i have to take off the spoiler or is the plastic break light just hard to get off. any help on this would be great because i don't want to break the lamp

Thank You
    How can I and where do I disconnect the head lights from staying on during the day light hours on a 2001 Grand am?Thanks
  • makninemaknine Member Posts: 5
    i am trying to figure out how to back the rear brakes off of this cavalier. i cant get the rotors off and have not yet come across a problem like this. there is no access hole behind the back to get at the adjuster to back them down. also there is no adjuster on the cable that i can find. any help would be great
    i am trying to figure out how to back the rear brakes off of this cavalier. i cant get the rotors off and have not yet come across a problem like this. there is no access hole behind the back to get at the adjuster to back them down. also there is no adjuster on the cable that i can find. any help would be great
  • lou38lou38 Member Posts: 1
    Please help! l'm having the same problem with an 02. The lens doesn't budge. I'll be blown away if you have to remove the spoiler.
  • timnalicetimnalice Member Posts: 1
    We changed the one in mine yesterday- all you have to do is tug at it a little. You won't break the plastic if you just nudge it out from the top and bottom corners using a screwdriver. It's a stickler to get out but no, you don't have to take off the spoiler to replace the bulb.
  • gregosdge1gregosdge1 Member Posts: 2
  • claytonioclaytonio Member Posts: 2
    You should be able to pull the drum away from the backplate enough to back the adjuster off. However, you cannot replace the wheel cylinders of these without removing the rear hubs....do yourself a favor and take it to a brake shop to do the job for you.
  • james150james150 Member Posts: 2
  • el_grassoel_grasso Member Posts: 1
    You may have to bench bleed your master cylinder since you replaced it. It should make no difference if weight is on the vehicle or not.
  • hams1hams1 Member Posts: 4
    when I press on the brake pedal a noise is coming from the read brakes, as if it was a bearing noise. The noise is only there when I apply the brake pedal hard enough to stop the car. it's a 2004 with 37,000 on it..Thanks Hams1
  • krsatcomkrsatcom Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2010
    I have a 94 Chevy cavalier and the brakes are acting up. This started about 3 months after replacing the rear pads. When you drive forward and tap the brakes the rear brakes lock up. It relly only seems that it is the driver side that is having the most problems. In the pedal I feel the pressure then a sensation of pressure release and the rear brakes lock up. If I ride the brakes for about 30 feet then I have no problems with the brakes till the cool off. The car has been inspected since and all the parts seem to be installed correctly.

Thanks
    Ken
This discussion has been closed.