Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Santa Fe Keys and Locks

doublesharpdoublesharp Member Posts: 32
Hi. I've got the job of selling my 85 yr old aunt's 2004 Santa Fe base model 2wd. She has lost both remotes and has only one key. Will probably find them where we find her teeth, phone and several sets of housekeys.

Does a Santa Fe take a special key blank or can I just go to Lowe's or Home Depot and have one made? I see remotes on Ebay for around $15-20. Can anyone tell me how to program a remote for or is that a dealer only profit center?

I posed this question on ask yahoo and was told to turn the ignition key from off to on 3 times in 5 seconds and then the remote's led would flash. Then press any button on the remote and it would be programmed. That seems too easy. My google search of programming instructions came up empty.

Thanks in advance and any advice is appreciated.

Comments

• jonathannjonathann Member Posts: 55
    We just purchased a 2007 Santa Fe GLS AWD. The dealer did not mention setting automatic door locks and the manual makes no mention of them. Is this something that is standard on US models but not included in Canada?
  • roudy1roudy1 Member Posts: 36
    There's no mention of them in the US manual either, but I had the dealer set them yesterday when I had the oil changed.
  • psyfactorpsyfactor Member Posts: 2
    Hyundai mentions that feature on one of their TSB for the vehicle. You could print it out from the HMA Service website.
  • jonathannjonathann Member Posts: 55
    psyfactor:

Thank you.

Sorry, been away on vacation to North Myrtle Beach SC. The trip was 2500 miles. Total of 4500 miles on 3.3 Limited AWD so far. It has been a pleasure to drive and average MPG for all 4500 miles (city + hwy.) is 22, which is identical to our 2000 Dodge Caravan (2WD, 3.0L 150 hp.) so we are very pleased.

It appears that the dealers (US & Canada) do not make this feature known at purchase. We have this feature on the Caravan and I think that it is very useful (safe). I will request that it be activated at the dealer.

Thanks again.
  • oracle_of_rockoracle_of_rock Member Posts: 58
    A couple of years ago I purchased an extra remote off Ebay for my 02 Sanata Fe AWD V6. I think I paid about $15 for it. I was told that the dealer must program the new remote. Next time I was at the Hyundai dealer I asked about it and was told that it would cost $90 and that the remote I had bought was the wrong one.

Although I never mentioned it to the dealership, their attempted "con-job" cost them the sale of a 07 Sonata Limited. It was the correct remote and $90 to program was just outlandish. :mad: I feel the dealership was overcharging because I didn't buy the remote from them for $100+. Won't being going back there for anything!!

My wife uses a key made at our local Walmart Supercenter. It doesn't have the plastic fob on the one end but it works fine.

Rick
  • doublesharpdoublesharp Member Posts: 32
    I had one made at home Depot and it didn't work. I'll give them another chance next time I'm over their way. I hate a dealer that screws you on the small stuff and if it really is neccessary to have the remote programmed by a dealer it looks like the Hyundai has a little larceny in their heart. Has your experience with the 02 Santa Fe been positive?
  • drwoodrdrwoodr Member Posts: 88
    I purchased a remote off Ebay a while back for my old Toyota Rav4, and the seller provided the instructions (TSB from Toyota) for programing when I ordered. However, I'm not sure how easy it is for the Santa Fe, check out http://www.hmaservice.com/ and look at TSB 03-90-020 -- it describes "The security system keyless adapter cable (SPX/Kent-Moore P/N 09900-21300) is a special service tool (SST) that is used for programming new keyless entry remote transmitters to the factory security systems. The keyless adapter is used in conjunction with the Hi-Scan Pro (with Hi-Scan SOL Pro Software Version 09-29-03 or newer) and Data Link Connector (DLC) Cable." Guess that's why it's $90 at the dealer.
  • oracle_of_rockoracle_of_rock Member Posts: 58
    Last summer I programmed a remote for my 03 Camry. I think someone on Edmunds.com told me how it was done or pointed me in the right direction to obtain the instructions. It took me about 10 minutes to do it. Odd that you can do it for a Toyota and not a for a Hyundai :(

I do agree with you about the need for special equipment. That's what they told me (or I read it somewhere) when I inquired about it.

Equipment aside, $90 a pop is still to much money. I'm quite sure they were sticking it to me because I didn't buy the remote from them. Keep in mind that I already discovered they had lied about it being the wrong remote.

Outside of the poor gas mileage (I've yet to crack the 19 mpg barrier), our Santa Fe has been fairly reliable. We did have to have it towed twice (Hyundai roadside assistance covered the cost) due to bad batteries. By the way, the same dealership that was about to overcharge me for programming the remote also tried to charge me $40 to install a replacement battery. That charge was removed once I told them I wouldn't pay it.

Keep the faith -- Rick
  • dezman1dezman1 Member Posts: 16
    Hey All,

Just picked up a extra spare remote plus key for a 07 GLS from the dealer. The Part No. 95411-0W100, List Price-$165.05, blank key Part No. 81996-2B000-$12.32.

Fortunately, having connection with the actual pres of dealership, I paid discounted price which you may still consider high but I knew it was going to cost us anyhow. Came out to $109.38 + $8.17.

Somehow my wife had asked the sales folks at the time of signing but forgot about it till they called to pick it up. They had to re-program my other original remotes along with the new one at the same time which took maybe 10 minutes.

Why we need a 3rd remote? I have one for my other Nissan Pathfinder and since now have a teen driver, having that spare remote/key is handy. Then also I sometimes misplace my own ones and grab the spare one rather than hunt through the house for it.

Saw one on ebay for cheap but not sure if was the effort. :shades:
  • mikeya50mikeya50 Member Posts: 5
    I got my new 2007 Santa Fe last week and mentioned to the salesman that I wanted the automated locks activated. He didn't know anything about it but checked it out and subsequently they activated them. He mentioned that he will be informing all his customers from now on that they have this option.
  • jcwsbltdjcwsbltd Member Posts: 167
    I happened to get out my S.F.'s Owners Manual 2 nights ago to put something in it - Inside there are various things besides the actual manual - one of 'em is a dealers/salesman's checklist - they are s'posed to go over this with each new owner- a walk through of how the vehicle operates.

In there is where they mention that the salesman is s'posed to offer the option of having the automnatice doorlocks turned on as a Service Dept. operation. Just goes to show you how the rep's are only interested in getting the sale - not the after sales care and attention they are s'posed to give us !!!!.

Get the service dept. to look up the TSB and show them the option - they should do it then.
  • sdseabreezesdseabreeze Member Posts: 9
    When you activate the power window locks - so that the passengers cannot control the windows, you are unable to open or close the windows either from the driver panel. Is this broken or working as designed? Even on my 1996 Saturn - when I activate the power window lock, I can still control this as a driver.

If this is working as designed - then this is not very smart!
  • gizzer777gizzer777 Member Posts: 335
    Just checked mine on an SE model...same as yours...driver cannot control the windows if the lock button is engaged...so it is not broken apparently but part of the design....wonder why they did that
  • kdahlquistkdahlquist Member Posts: 130
    My 07 Limited is the same way, but it never occurred to me that it would work any other way. My wife's 2005 Honda Odyssey works that way, as did the 2003 Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix) I used to own. On all three vehicles, engaging the power window lock deactivated the power window switches at all doors, including the driver's.
  • sdseabreezesdseabreeze Member Posts: 9
    kdahlquist - I was thinking that these "disable" passenger power windows (mostly rear) are for kids so that they cannot play with the controls. I would think that the driver should be able to still have the control so that they can roll the windows up or down. My 1996 Saturn was designed that way so that even when you deactivate the power window switches - the driver was able to control it from the driver side. I used it a lot in my Saturn with 2 toddlers.
  • somedai1somedai1 Member Posts: 416
    yeah- i think most cars were designed to take away control from the passengers but the drive could still control...
  • vegasgogovegasgogo Member Posts: 1
    Yeah, I agree its strange, but thats how my 01 Nissan Altima functions as well... I was hoping it wasn't too common since it seems rather silly.... oh well :)
  • js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    In my experience, this seems to be the case with most Asian brands. On my American vehicles, the driver's controls still function when the window lock is on.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• nateman7ahcnateman7ahc Member Posts: 14
    Bought an 07 SF at the end of August. Last week the lock on the glove box falls out. Door still opens and closes fine. Anyone else with this?
    I unlocked my S.Fe Limited with the key fob button and walked away for a few minutes - I went to get back in and the drivers door locked by itself. I tried it again and just waited ...and sure enough after a few minutes it locked itself again. Now , my ignorance sometimes amuses me, but after a year, I don't recall this happening before, usually because when I unlock the drivers door, i get right in it.

Does anyone know whether the door will lock with key in the ignition, ? ...'cause if you put your key in the tray and forget them, it will automatically lock you out after a few minutes.!

Anyone else notice this ???
  • bannodbannod Member Posts: 24
    It only re-locks the door if you haven't opened it.
  • js06gvjs06gv Member Posts: 456
    Correct. I believe they lock if you haven't opened any door within 20 seconds of unlocking with the remote. Once you open a door, the feature is cancelled so there would be no risk of locking the keys in the car because of it. Strange that this is the second vehicle in a row I've owned that did this (other was a Suzuki Grand Vitara) but I've yet to come across another with this feature.

2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, 2019 Ford Mustang GT Premium, 2016 Kia Optima SX, 2013 Ford F-150 King Ranch, 2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6, 2001 Kawasaki Vulcan 800 Classic

• enrico202enrico202 Member Posts: 5
    My 2003 VW GTI works the same way. Doors lock after 20 seconds if you do not open any door.
    Haven't tried it on my 2007 Santa Fe SE yet.
  • mpuzachmpuzach Member Posts: 635
    Same with my 2007 Santa Fe.
  • bnberniebnbernie Member Posts: 20
    Thanks to this forum I found out about the auto door locks when the SUV gets to 15 mph. Its called "Rolling Lock" The dealer turned it on, And it works Great.

Thanks

Bernie
  • fred63fred63 Member Posts: 23
    I want to know the options you have with the auto door locks. What I mean is Can the locks be programmed to lock when you put the car in drive and unlock when you put it in park? Can they be programmed to lock and unlock when the ignition is turned on and off? I need a list of options for this because no one seems to know. I have called Hyundai customer service with no results and have called two dealerships and no one seems to know. I want them to lock and unlock with the ignition or the drive and park positions. Can anyone please help? Thanks, Fred.
    See TSB 06-90-022 on hmaservice.com -- "Options for the auto lock feature include 20, 25, 30, 35, and 40 kph (13, 16, 19, 22, 25 mph). There is no auto unlock feature."
  • fred63fred63 Member Posts: 23
    Thank you for your reply but there is a guy on another forum that his locks when he starts the car and unlocks when he shuts it off.
    When you say other forum, do you mean a forum for another car? I know other cars have that or similar features (my daughter's Pontiac Grand Am, for example, locks when you shift into drive and unlocks when you shut it off), but I don't think the Santa Fe has any similar option. Personally, I like the fact that the doors stay locked when you shut the engine off.
  • bnberniebnbernie Member Posts: 20
    I asked my dealer the same type of question, and was told the 15mph rolling lock was the only feature available.

Bernie
  • pelican19pelican19 Member Posts: 323
    My Limited 07 AWD is set to 5 mph. ( First Generation 07 ). My wife's 07 is set to 15 mph ( Second Generation 07 ). Not sure why the option for lower speeds was removed in later production runs...
  • 93fd0793fd07 Member Posts: 2
    When Unlocking the doors with the remote, the driver door unlocks with the first press of the button and the other doors unlock at the second press of the button within 4 seconds.

Question: Is there a way to reprogram to have all doors unlock at first press of the button?

Chris.
    08 SantaFe Limited
    I don't know if this is possible, but I think the reason it works the way it does is for safety. Depending upon where you are parked, you may want to unlock only the driver door. Unlocking all doors could allow someone to get into your car from the passenger side.
  • donomicsdonomics Member Posts: 2
    How do you reset remote door locks?
  • slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    Your dealer will have to do that for you.
  • foulgernzfoulgernz Member Posts: 1
    I have had a 2008 Santa Fe crdi for 3 months and I miss the "beep" when locking the doors remotely. Is there a way to add a beep to the locking mechanism. Could I fit a 12 volt beeper of some sort across the door locking line. Its so handy to be able to lock without looking - not to mention finding a vehicle in a car park when you cant remember where you left it!! Help please from New Zealand
  • slateblueslateblue Member Posts: 110
    My 2007 Santa Fe beeps if I push the lock button a second time, perhaps 2008 or others built outside of the USA are different. Talk to your dealer if that does not work.
    On the Remote, first press to lock should flash the blinkers, second press should sound the horn. If this is not happening, dealer will have to check operation/program of locks.

If you mean the "beep" of the type of after sales locking devices instead of the horn sounding, then that's a different matter. Probably means a re-fit at your expense.
  • AugAug Member Posts: 2
    my keyless remote will not lock the doors. I have 2 remotes and it will not work with either. If I lock the doors manualy. and press the remote unlock the lights flash, but the doors stay locked. I can hear a clicking, like a relay sound under the dash. when I press lock I do not hear anything. Is my prob a relay under the dash, and how is it accessed. tks for any help
  • AugAug Member Posts: 2
  • teacher447teacher447 Member Posts: 21
    I own a ' 04 Santa Fe and need instruction to program a remote. I lost one of the the originals, but still have the second one from the original purchase. I bought a replacement via ebay when I bought the car. The dealership wanted some outrageous $$ for an additional remote. I do not have instructions to do the programing. Does anyone know proper procedure to program them?
  • mullamulla Member Posts: 1
    I have a Hyundai Santa Fe 2005 that is not responding to a replaced key that has a code. Our Hyundai garage has suggested we have a new imboliser installed so the key will work, which is going to cost us an additional $1000. Is there something else the garage can try to make the key work?
    If the Service Guy is saying it's the immobiliser that is the problem, then why not just get them to disconnect it altogether. There has to be a way to properly program your new remote and key to operate the lock, they are just being dumb about it.
  • muffinbmuffinb Member Posts: 2
    Teacher; Go to this site it will explain how to do it.

http://www.santafemods.com/Mods/TransmitterCode.htm

You will find the receiver on the left side of the dirvers compartment behind the fuse box. It is hard to find but it is there. I just did it on my 03 Santa Fe, Very simple. By the way take off the lower panel of the dash. 3 screws I think, makes it a lot easier.
  • oscar_gataoscar_gata Member Posts: 96
    Did you buy that 2005 Santa Fe in the US? US Santa Fe's have never had immobilizers - not today and not four years ago.
    The Dealers here in Phoenix were trying to force you to buy an immobiliser by pre-installing it as an option prior to the sale.....they got pissed with me when I refused to pay for it (waay overpriced) as I had not ordered it. I assume a lot of dealers were trying to do the same for the extra bucks, along with hard selling the worthless extended warranty and charging extra for floor mats.
  • teacher447teacher447 Member Posts: 21
    Thanks a lot. I'll get to it next wekend, unless my wife gets me to do some work.
  • markl68markl68 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone actually programed a remote to work on a 2004 Santa Fe? I simply can't fint a remote switch under the dash and have read on other websites that starting with 2004 it has to be done at the dealer. If anyone has any information specifically for a 2004, that would help me out!
  • presstekjimpresstekjim Member Posts: 2
    car will not lock but will unlock. does anyone know where the fob relay is located??
  • sjdenooysjdenooy Member Posts: 1
    It is under the dash, roughly above the brake peddle.