Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2007 Hyundai Sonata Gas Sloshing

nikita3nikita3 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Hyundai
I bought this car Agust, 2006.
I've gotten the warranty services many times. Most of the problem was wheel balance. so I checked it like a alignment test three times. But I could feel vibration.
Finally, I changed the tire of front leftside and fixed it.
But I had one more problem.
"Gas Sloshing issue" It is what I wanna talk about.
When I fueled fully, fuel tank makes some noise. I didnt know why. After taking warranty service, I realize that Gas Sloshing issue is not gonna be solved for me unless Hyundai do recall. I disappointed about that. Somebody said that is well known issue. So I wondered that why the people who have 2007 sonata do not fight againt the Hyundai.

Comments

• Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    The gas sloshing issue isn't confined to Hyundai. I had several Taurus/Sable configurations (S.W. sedans) and they sloshed. When you have 10-11-12-13 or more gallons of a liquid in a confined space and it is constantly changing what word? location? (for a lack of a better term) due to cornering loads (forcing fuel to either side), braking loads (forcing fuel to the front of the tank) acceleration loads (forcing fuel to the rear of the tank)of course it'll make a noise..slosh. Unless the fuel tank is heavily baffled, something no manufacturer does to my knowledge, or heavily insulated from the interior it will be noisy to some degree. It also depends on the amount of fuel in the tank. Maybe Hyundai could insulate the trunk floor and/or passenger compartment better. I doubt Hyundai will issue a recall for this so maybe,unless it is unusually severe,you should learn to ignore it. Pick your fight with Hyundai for something really important.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    Gasoline has to slosh around in all cars. Maybe it is because the Sonata is so quiet regarding wind and road noise that some people hear this "sloshing" while they never heard it before in previous cars which weren't so quiet.
  • Options
    pekelopdpekelopd Member Posts: 139
    That's a very good and interesting point! Because the car really is damn quiet!
  • Options
    rajjarrajjar Member Posts: 4
    I am interested in purchasing a Sonota Limited too..Current Sonata owners, do you hear the sloshing on a near-full tank or near-empty tank of petro?
  • Options
    platedsonataplatedsonata Member Posts: 3
    3/4-Full. 2007 Limited
  • Options
    rajjarrajjar Member Posts: 4
    How do you work around the noise? Do you keep the tank half-empty? Can you hear the noise when the A/C or radio is on? A dealership is discounting the Sonata Limited 7K..No dealer add-on's. Just trying to move the Sonatas. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    platedsonataplatedsonata Member Posts: 3
    It doesn't bother me at all.
  • Options
    craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    Buy it. I don't notice the sloshing but every 4th tank or so and it is not bad. At least not bad enough to make me consider another car. This car has way to much to offer.
  • Options
    Yes, as Craig said, this car has a lot to offer and has no real major issues that have yet to arise. The sloshing sound you will not hear if you have the radio on, even at a low volume. I had someone in the car the other day and they were impressed with how quiet the car was and said "wow, you can actually hear the radio at a low volume!" Honestly speaking, I never noticed it until I read about it in these forums, then turned off the radio after the next fill-up and listened closely.
  • Options
    rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    I have never heard it in my 2007 SE. Got lucky I guess.
  • Options
    It's not very loud. If you have you tank between 3/4 and full, close your windows and turn off your radio and I'm sure you'll probably hear it. You'll probably hear it now because you'll be specifically listening for it!
  • Options
    dxwdxw Member Posts: 4
    I can hear this sloshing noise too (SE V6 2007). A tip to hear it is try to drive in a quite place, like a parking garage, brake the car to stop normally. Then you can hear something like caused by a heavy object is rolling in the trunk. Shut the window/ac/fan/radio. It puzzled me quite some time to figure it out what is the source of the noise.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    How often do you drive to a quiet place like a parking garage, brake the car to stop normally, shut the window/ac/fan/radio to see if you can hear any car noise?

The Sonata IS quiet, but it's not a sound isolation booth.
  • Options
    This is a nonproblem. ;) Now thunks, runs and errors....something else to type about. :P
  • Options
    johnsodyssey1johnsodyssey1 Member Posts: 5
    I agree with it not being a problem. I have an '07 Platinum Ed. and the only time I hear gas sloshing is when the tank is over 3/4 full, the radio is off and I make a sudden stop a low speeds (backing into a parking space for example). Again, this is not a problem and is not distracting in any way.

I think since Hyundai has little ways to go in becomming a highly reputable auto manufacture, people may look for things to be wrong. I was a doubter myself but decided to take a chance. I have had the car for six months now and I couldn't be more pleased.
  • Options
    dxwdxw Member Posts: 4
    No I am not saying this is a defect or failure. I want to say this thing exists. And a quiet place helps you to hear it. In fact, it does not have to be in a quiet place to find it. I firstly noticed it just during my daily commuting. It sounds like something rolling over the trunk. Last Monday I finally removed everything in the trunk and did some google search and found the term "sloshing". That is not a big deal to many ppl. But it bothered me for some time. Now I am kind of relieved.
  • Options
    Has anyone heard (or not heard :P ) if they have they sovled this in the 08's?
  • Options
    gabebalazsgabebalazs Member Posts: 18
    I don't know if it was officially remedied or not, but my 08 does not do it. The car is really quiet, and I have never heard any gas sloshing, and I did listen.
This discussion has been closed.