Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Subaru Legacy/Outback Tire Issues

Comments

• paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Hmm odd. Well worst case you can get the struts/shocks from tirerack as they sell the bilstiens for it.

-mike
  • ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I made an appointment with a front end shop so I can get an independent viewpoint and better techincal advise.

Not a bad idea, let us know what they say. I bet a shock is bad.
  • somainersomainer Member Posts: 6
    After looking at websites, I think TireRack's Winterforce M+S Studdable 215 60SR 16 may be the best buy for a winter studdable snow (Maine, icy roads, mountains, etc). I'm planning on buying steel wheels for the snows. Does anyone have experience with the Winterforce M+S on the Outback? Also, any suggestions about 215 vs. the original 225 size?

Sorry if this is a cross-post on another forum.
  • cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    as a general rule, you should always go a little narrower for winter tires, so the 215 is better, but with the sizes available for an OB you will end up with a smaller wheel diameter.
  • kevinc2kevinc2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking for a compatible snow tire size other than the spec 205/60/15 on my '00 Legacy. Any info about changing tire size would be helpful.
    Thanks
    I ran 195/65-15s on my 98 GT for winter, that would only be about 0.3in larger and 1% speedo off than your stock tires. The Gts came with 205/55-16s which are only 0.1in smaller than your stock tires so they should fit.
    http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
  • kevinc2kevinc2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, that's the size I was thinkig of going to. I was looking at used to get thru the winter. Do I need different rims or can I continue with stock rims?
    your stock rims should be fine if you are going with 15 in tires.
  • milemmilem Member Posts: 39
    Problem with our new 2008 Outback L.L. Bean tires....

I've been told that there's NO warranty on the original tires that are supplied with the car ? That means that I have to pay around 300 $ for ONE Bridgestone tire !

Is that really the case ??
  • artourartour Member Posts: 22
    This doesn't really apply to your message but:
    I leased a 2008 Legacy GT & the dealer tried to pack the
    deal with all sorts of warranty/service deals. The only one that I took was on the tires. It guarantees replacement for any road hazards (like nails & other) or failures. They wanted $15 a month for it but I offered them $5 and we settled on $6.
    That's the same case for all new car manufacturers tires. There are no road hazzard warranties on new car tires unless you purchase them seperately. Why would you think Subaru would be any different?

-mike
    I didn't think Subaru would be different ...
    I just learned that my new tires weren't guaranteed AND that there is a "added" warranty that can be purchase that would have guaranted the new tires.
  • snowbeltersnowbelter Member Posts: 288
    You can buy Potenzas from Tirerack for about $115 plus shipping. Thats much less than the $300 figure you mentioned.

If you live in a snowy area, you'll find the Potenzas will slide all over the road. (I have an 07 Outback, so I know).

If I had to spend $300 for a replacement tire, I'd put the money towards a decent set of four all-season tires.

I believe the Subaru extended warranty covers road hazard damage to tires during the first year of ownership.
    The Potenza brand name is used on many different tires. Even the RE92 has several variants.

The RE92s on our Legacy were cheap, basic all-seasons. Nothing special.
    My comments were directed to the RE 92A Potenzas that come with current Outbacks. I had an RE92 version Potenza on my earlier Outback, and they were almost as bad in winter weather.
  • artourartour Member Posts: 22
    The reason I purchased the tire replacement guarantee is that my last car was a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 and I picked up a nail in the sidewall at around 1400 miles. It cost me $300 to replace it and I had to wait for the tire to be shipped from across the country because the size was so new that there were none on the east coast (I got the car right after it came out in Feb. 2006).
    That has expensive summer-only tires, too.
    Thank you very much for the information (tirerack).

I went on their website and it looks very professional. And, at "112 $" for a summer tire, it's very appealing vs the "300 $" I was quoted in a garage!

Have you any experience with them ?
    I mean, did you ever buy from them and did it went smoothly ?

Thanks !
  • jfljfl Member Posts: 1,396
    I had a very good experience purchasing from tirerack. Great prices & efficient delivery.

Had the tires shipped directly to one of their "approved" mounting shops. (A friend also used and recommended this place.) This shop specializes in alignment and tires. The people were more knowledgable than any other alignment shop I've ever been to. Of course, they also charged for all that experience and knowledge. What I saved on the tires, I spent on the installation and alignment.

Choose your installer carefully...

I'll probably use tirerack again, but I'd have to think about this installer...

My $0.02.

Jim
    I've been touting the Sumitomo HTR+ and HTR H4s for a long while as the best bang for your buck all season tire for around $60-70 they are great in snow and wet!

-mike
    The Outback calls for a 225/55/17 V rated tire and when I looked at the Sumitomo HTR+, they were only available in an "H" rating. I'm not a fan of going to a lower speed rated tire. I've read that V rated tires are less likely to fail from hitting potholes, etc than is an H rated tire.
    The failure rate of the speed rating has to do with heat, not potholes! Essentially the speed rating is the sustained speed you would need to go for the tires to blow out. It has nothing to do with pothole resistance.

Unless you plan on doing a sustained speed over 130mph, you won't run into problems. I've ran em on track, on road, and through blizzards on my SVX, no issues.

Also I live in NYC so I've hit potholes bigger than you can imagine.

-mike
    I am well aware that the speed ratings relate to speed and heat build-up. I understand there is also a relationshion to the strength of the tire. I've read that a tire with a higher speed rating provides greater resistance to failure, in a low profile tire, which I have read is more susceptible to damage from hitting a pothole.

And yes, I'm also aware that there are a number of articles questioning why family cars such as Subarus come from the factory with V rated tires which are expensive, don't wear well, and may be overkill.

Martin
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    I also find it easy to buy tires (I think I bought 3 or 4 sets from tirerack.com in last 10 years). It is much harder to find good installer.

Sometimes I use tirerack price for local store to drop the price.

Krzys

PS Tell your local store that 300 tire can be had for 112 + S&H and see the price drop in an instant.
  • krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    "the speed rating is the sustained speed you would need to go for the tires to blow out. It has nothing to do with pothole resistance."

Yes you are right but...

V rated tire must be built more robust that H rated one. It might be better to survive pothole hit as a by-product of its higher speed rating.

BUT...

If you hit pothole would you rather replace blown tire or bent pieces of suspension?

Krzys
    there is no sound reason why the OB/Legacy need a H rated tire unless its the 4 turbo, the reason they have V rated is that the RE92A in the stock size comes as a v. when I got my 02 WRX, they were putting V rated RE92 tires on the base Impreza too! Subaru probably just has a contract with Bridgestone for a warehouse or two full of that particular tire! Imay not go with a T rated tire but an H is fine, lets face it, half the people using snowtires are on Qs!
    I am still going to disagree on the "higher rating" meaning a stronger tire. Think of it logically, if the sidewalls are stiffer they are MORE suseptable to being destroyed by a pothole, than one with a softer more pliable one. As testament, I've gotten way more bubbles in "speed rated" tires with stiffer sidewalls than in standard regular tires. Also when offroading we purposely air-down our tires, not only to give us float over mud but to allow the tires to be far more pliable when rock-crawling. I've seen a lot of offroaders blow tires running at street pressure, whereas very rarely do you damage your tires rock crawling with aired-down tires.

-mike
  • andreas3andreas3 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2008 SpecB that I thought was going to make mince meat out of the snow in Colorado. It comes with summer tires though and its the worst car I've ever owned on ice/snow. I basically have no brakes or steering whatsoever whenever I apply the slightest pressure on the brake going as slow as possible. The ABS kicks in and it basically has the handling of a sled. Will snow/all season tires help or is there another problem I'm not aware of with these cars?
    My neighbor has an old beat up Astro van that can get through the stuff my shiny new Subaru can't. What a disappointment.... Please help.
    Without a doubt it is the tires.

Summer tires are simply not useful in the snow, period. You will need a 2nd set of tires if you drive in snow.

Or get a winter beater.

It's the same for the EVO, STI, MazdaSpeed3, i.e. all sporty cars that come with summer tires.

Summer tires are actually OK in the rain, but not on snow or ice. The soft compound gets rock hard. There are no sipes on the tread blocks, either.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,786
    Yep - put a set of Nokians or some other mountain-and-snowflake-rated tire on there and you will think you just bought a new car. Again. ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    Summer tires are not only bad in snow, they are also VERY DANGEROUS in any conditions below 40-45 degrees! It's not only the lack of sipes, but also the fact that the tires are hard as rock and plasticy below that. The compound is not made for any kind of cold weather, even dry cold weather.

Even a set of all-seasons would help but I'd suggest the new Blizzack WS60 as a good snow tire for the car.

-mike
  • andreas3andreas3 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice fellas. You bet summer tires are dangerous up here. I'm in the mid 20s in temperature most of the time. I've had a couple of bad bowel-crunch moments already!
    The SpecB comes with 18" rims and I don't think they make Blizzaks in that size. Any others that come to mind?
    Personally I'd just order up some 17" tires and rims from tire rack, it's worth it to have a dedicated set of rims for snows. I've heard good things about the Dunlop Wintersport M3s but never drove on em myself.

-mike
    Yeah, the selection of winter-rated tires drops dramatically as you hit 17" and 18" rim sizes. I imagine that will change with time, but the price is also much higher in those sizes. You should be able to get the Dunlops, Blizzaks, or Michelin X-Ice in that size. There might be a couple Goodyear Eagles available in that size as well. Nokian, a more expensive tire to start, are ungodly expensive in a 17", but are also a great tire.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • ksquared66ksquared66 Member Posts: 2
    i just purchased these tires from tirerack for my 2000 outback based on what i've read here and the fact that they were a quick pick on consumer reports this month. i had them put on a few days ago and they seem very noisy. has anyone else noticed excessive humming/noise from the tires? the tires i replaced (goodrich traction t/a)were beat at 30k and one had a bad belt, so there was noise before, but i almost think these tires are louder. could something be wrong with one of them or might there be another issue? i have the car going back to the garage next week for another issue and will have them check the tires over.

i've had more expensive tires (potenzas, goodyear triple tred assurance, and goodrich traction t/a) but none have lasted for much more than 30-40k. i drive 30k a year, so i opted to go with a cheaper tire since i seem to be replacing them every year anyway. i hope i didn't make a mistake in getting these....
    k2
    The HTR+ are a bit louder, but they are an Ultra-high Performance All Season tire, which means it'll be a bit louder than a High Perf or Touring tire.

Barring hearing them though there could be something wrong with the mounting/balancing though.

-mike
  • ksquared66ksquared66 Member Posts: 2
    ok, thanks! i didn't realize that the ultra high performance tires would be louder. when i have the car in the garage next week, i'll have them double check the tires just to be sure there's not another issue.
    thanks again!
    k2
  • doug22doug22 Member Posts: 3
    My daughter has a 98 outback with 143k that she bought from a private owner who had :surprise: replaced 2 tires with tires or similar wear but I measured the circuference of all four and measured the back 2 at 1/8" and 3/8" less than the fronts. She is experiencing an intermittent shuddering mostly while on straight road, at any speed. I thought it was a fuel or spark issue until we looked closer at the tires.

Is this an issue? I always hear the need to replace all 4. What if I measure a new tire and find one the same size? Can I use it?
    Yes, it's an issue, and yes, if 2 new tires closely match the circumference of the other 2 new-ish tires, then you can use it. Has to be within 1/4" per Subaru's spec.
    Definitely a concern. The different sizes are creating additional stress in the AWD system and it will manifest itself by doing "strange" things: Tire slippage, shuddering, clutch pack wear. Sooner is better for fixing the situation.

As for replacing with same-circumference tires, you should put a matched set on the car. Even if the tires are the same now, differences in traction and wear rates can affect the car's performance over time. As this car seems to be new to your family, you might as well reset the wear meter and hopefully reduce your expense down the road. :D
    Yep, that's why I rotated tires often, usually 7500 miles or so.
    Yeah for the price of new tires, I'd just get 4 of the same. These are the single most important item to keep you safely planted.

-mike
    Motorsports and Modifications Host
  • mountainwalkermountainwalker Member Posts: 40
    Best all-season tire for 2000 Subaru Outback for W Coast and winter ski trips to mountains? Yokohama Avid TRZ’s?

I’m about to purchase a 2000 Subaru Outback and it turns out on inspection that the rear and front tires were not matched for tread type or tread wear, and no more than a 2/32 difference is recommended in tire size/tread, and all tires should be matched for tread. So I will have to replace them. Planning to drive the car on the W Coast in N California after relocating now from the NE, mostly for drives of 5 to 45 min during the work week, and occasional weekend trips, including ski trips to the mountains in winter. I’m looking for a top quality all-season tire that will handle well in summer and winter conditions.

I’d sincerely appreciate your advice as I’m very careful about tires every since I bought my first car in college, a 7 year old Volvo, which had tires that checked out well enough, but in a medium rain storm, driving 30 mph on a Cliffside with one lane in each direction, with no sudden acceleration or steering moves, the car fishtailed 180 degrees, and I was lucky to “land” the car in my lane close to the inside of the road against the mountain. Some oil leaking down from a town above the road may have caused the road to be slick, but as soon as I put brand new top end all season tires on the car, it handled 10x better and safer. Never experienced that kind of slippage again.

In response to this question on Yahoo Answers, this poster below who owns 2 subarus recommended Yokohama Avid TRZ’s http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+TRZ . I checked the reviews on Tirerack and the TRZs have an average overall rating of 8.52 out of 737 reviews, which is very good.
    http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?additionalComments=y&tireMake=- Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+TRZ&tirePageLocQty=&commentStatus=P
    He was negative on Michelin for value and quick wear:

“I'm not sure if they're available in Australia, but I ran Yokohama Avid TRZ's on my 98 Outback.. they have a 700 treadwear rating, and the rain/ snow traction is excellent (I know not a lot of powder down there, but in a sudden downpour, they are amazing).. I drive mostly on-road, over 60 km one-way to work, and have taken them off road on occasion.. really surprising for an all season car tire. From my experience here stateside, Michelin is way overpriced, and the treads are too soft to get any real life out of; they do handle well though. Had nothing but bad experiences with Pirellis, may be just me. I'm currently running Dunlop Dirrezas on my 07 WRX.. and they have been wonderful so far. Stick like glue, and good in the rain. They are a summer- only tire though” * 4 weeks ago Source(s): 17 years in the repair trade, employed with a national tire distributor; owner of two Subarus.

Also, any suggestions on best place to pick tires up in the Silicon Valley area?
    Best all-season tire for 2000 Subaru Outback for W Coast and winter ski trips to mountains? Yokohama Avid TRZ’s?

I’m about to purchase a 2000 Subaru Outback and it turns out on inspection that the rear and front tires were not matched for tread type or tread wear, and no more than a 2/32 difference is recommended in tire size/tread, and all tires should be matched for tread. So I will have to replace them. Planning to drive the car on the W Coast in N California after relocating now from the NE, mostly for drives of 5 to 45 min during the work week, and occasional weekend trips, including ski trips to the mountains in winter. I’m looking for a top quality all-season tire that will handle well in summer and winter conditions.

I’d sincerely appreciate your advice as I’m very careful about tires every since I bought my first car in college, a 7 year old Volvo, which had tires that checked out well enough, but in a medium rain storm, driving 30 mph on a Cliffside with one lane in each direction, with no sudden acceleration or steering moves, the car fishtailed 180 degrees, and I was lucky to “land” the car in my lane close to the inside of the road against the mountain. Some oil leaking down from a town above the road may have caused the road to be slick, but as soon as I put brand new top end all season tires on the car, it handled 10x better and safer. Never experienced that kind of slippage again.

In response to this question on Yahoo Answers, this poster below who owns 2 subarus recommended Yokohama Avid TRZ’s http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+TRZ . I checked the reviews on Tirerack and the TRZs have an average overall rating of 8.52 out of 737 reviews, which is very good.
    http://www.tirerack.com/survey/SurveyComments.jsp?additionalComments=y&tireMake=- - Yokohama&tireModel=AVID+TRZ&tirePageLocQty=&commentStatus=P
    He was negative on Michelin for value and quick wear:

“I'm not sure if they're available in Australia, but I ran Yokohama Avid TRZ's on my 98 Outback.. they have a 700 treadwear rating, and the rain/ snow traction is excellent (I know not a lot of powder down there, but in a sudden downpour, they are amazing).. I drive mostly on-road, over 60 km one-way to work, and have taken them off road on occasion.. really surprising for an all season car tire. From my experience here stateside, Michelin is way overpriced, and the treads are too soft to get any real life out of; they do handle well though. Had nothing but bad experiences with Pirellis, may be just me. I'm currently running Dunlop Dirrezas on my 07 WRX.. and they have been wonderful so far. Stick like glue, and good in the rain. They are a summer- only tire though” * 4 weeks ago Source(s): 17 years in the repair trade, employed with a national tire distributor; owner of two Subarus.

Also, any suggestions on best place to pick tires up in the Silicon Valley area?
    I spoke with Tirerack.com and these 2 tires were their top pics for performance + value for all-season tires for the 2000 Subaru Outback Ltd Wagon:

Bridgestone Turanza Serenity 225/60R16 $126 H sped rated - rated for 70,000 miles, supposed to offer just a little more responsive handling and a drop quieter ride than the Yokohama Avid TRZ, thanks to the stiffer tire, rated as a grand touring tire. There are less reviews for this than for the Yokohama Avid TRZ, but it appears well rated, though winter/snow ratings appear a little lower than the Yokohama Avid TRZ. Rated to 130 mph (as if I'd drive a 2000 Subaru Outback even close to that speed).

Yokohama Avid TRZ 225/60R16 $94 T speed rated4/ - rated for 80,000 miles - rated as a touring tire. Very large number of ratings and very highly rated, both for summer and winter conditions. Considered an excellent mix of quality and value. The Yokohama Avid TRZ also got a very good review in Yahoo Answers.

I have to decide in 2 days (by Monday evening) in order to take advantage of a $75 rebate for four Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Tires, if I want them. The Bridgestone rebate brings the cost of a set of 4 Bridgestone Turanza Serenity very close to the cost of a set of Yokohama Avid TRZs.

I'd sincerely appreciate your advice - I'm a first time Subaru owner and haven't had to keep a car for a few years now, so haven't bought tires in years.
  • tswitztswitz Member Posts: 3
    We just purchased an 08 Legacy with the Yokohama Advan A82A's on it. After 1 week I noticed a bubble on the sidewall. The Yoko dealer said it was an impact break from hitting a pothole or curb and that it wasn't covered. Long story short, I spoke to Yoko directly and received a new tire for free.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this type of problem with the Yoko's? We definately didn't hit anything to cause this impact break. The car had 500 miles on it when we bought it on a dealer trade so I assume that the damage occurred before I bought it and reared its ugly head after we started driving it.

Thanks,
    Tom
    I've had em on all different tires. Most recently RE070s, and Nokian Hakkapolita RSi.

-mike
  • melisaot1melisaot1 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone keep having trouble with the TPS light going on. I realize it's to let me know that my tires are low, but I have had them checked several times and inflated and then it's fine...(no leak or anything?)

Maybe it's electrical?
    Check the air pressure in the AM, when the tires are cold.

You may be driving and heating up the tires, expanding the air and increasing the pressure to normal.

That happened to me with my van. In fact the light would come on, then turn off once the tires warmed up. There were only very slightly below the recommended pressure when cold, but the TPMS worked like a charm.
  • robm2robm2 Member Posts: 53
    Check the spare - it may have a pressure monitor, as well.
This discussion has been closed.