Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Sonata Climate Control Questions

whisper1whisper1 Member Posts: 50
Just got a fully load 07 Sonata. I cannot confirm this due to weather is still cool.

I pushed the "AUTO" round knob to run automatic climate control. Does the LCD show AC or the AC button lit when the system decided to run the AC. How to tell the AC is on?

In manual mode, AC comes on if temperature dial is cranked below 17C (I think ?) or by pressing the AC button; in both cases, the LCD show "AC".

Comments

• drdonrsdrdonrs Member Posts: 164
    I have an 06 LX6 and I believe the automatic climate control works the same in my 06 as it does in your 07.
    1. With AUTO on the temp. is set by you and the AC will be on automatically. You will see that it pulls moisture out of the cabin so no fogging of the windows.
    2. Push the AC button and the AUTO is off and your AC is on and temp. is controlled in the same manner as above.
    3. Push AC button and it will turn off completely and your compressor will NOT be on.
    It's a little crazy but that's the way it is set up to work. I'm used to it and it works the same way in my 06 Azera Limited. In the summer here in NY I keep it on AUTO all the time and the compressor will cycle and keep the air comfortable and at the same temperature.
    Hope this explains it and that it makes sense. Good luck with your Sonata. It's a really neat car. ;)
    Don
  • whisper1whisper1 Member Posts: 50
    #2 "temp. is controlled in the same manner as above", strange even with AUTO offline.

For the pass 4 days, I was sure the air cond was on, but no indication except the cool air, there goes the gas mileage :mad: . I pressed some buttons today and the behavior is now as expected. Too bad I forget what I pressed to get into this behavior and worst forget the steps to fixed it :mad:
  • rick2456rick2456 Member Posts: 320
    The above is why I got the SE instead of the limited. I find automatic climate control to be a pain in the butt. I much prefer the simpler manual controls instead of fooling with temp settings, etc to try to get the car to put out the kind of air I want at that particular time. Some like it, but I consider it a step backwards in vehicle comfort.
  • targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    I am one who likes it and what could be more simple..set the display for, say, 72 degrees and it will keep about that temp year round. Heat in the winter, nothing added in the spring (not cold AC air nor heat unless required by outside temps)and COLD air when it is 85 or 90 degrees outside. I am always fumbling and fiddling and tweaking the knobs with manually controlled AC...too cold, not cold enough, something in between..
    It is a very good feature, I like it.

I have a habit to switch off AC and let the fan run a minute prior park to remove some moisture on the condenser. This is way too complicate for the wife to follow when in auto mode.

I think something is missing in the climate control software. Everything on the climate system in auto mode have an indicator, except AC in auto mode. Ideally the AC indicator should follow the compressor relay in any mode.

Interesting question:

#1 The climate system doesn’t have a heat only or cool only switch in auto mode, in the event that the setpoint temperature is met, what does the climate system do, for example in summer ? I can think of two scenario.

a) Switch off AC, keep fan running; temperature buildup then switch on AC.
    b) Switch off AC, keep fan running, turn on heater; temperature buildup then switch off heater and switch on AC. I hope this is not the case!

#2 The same question for winter.

#3 How does the logic work when ambient is at the borderline like in fall and spring.
    In regard to your "setpoint met" scenario in summer I believe the system keeps on running as usual because the setpoint is never truly met. Interior temperature is a fluid thing in the summer (well, in the winter too) because a car interior is not well insulated, has large glass areas that admit sunlight, bleed a small but definite amount of engine/exhaust heat into the interior. So the HVAC systems job is never done. In borderline situations there is a probable "off" cycle for the compressor until heat eventually builds to the set or desired temp. due to all the above..glass area etc.
  • joshqcjoshqc Member Posts: 1
    i need help with my A/C. I recently changed the compressor because it stopped working and i went to a mechanic who found there was a leak in the compressor. but after the replacement i found the A/C is not as cold as before by saying that i mean i dont feel cold air but kind of "cool" air instead. I went back to the mechanic again thinking maybe there was not enough freon. And they checked and recharged the A/C but it is still the same. Now it's driving me crazy.
    So what could be the possibility of this kind of problem? I dont want to go back to the same mechanic again because apparently he cant do any better. Your help would be really appreciated. thanks!
  • skeeter6skeeter6 Member Posts: 10
    The air quality control system on my Sonata , which is a part of the 2006 Sonata LX Auto Air Conditioning, has become very inconsistent It operated as describe in the manual for the first 10 months now will not switch to inside air when exposed to exaust fumes. Has anyone had this problem? My dealer has no idea on how to fix it. Hyundai has not help!
  • cabbycabby Member Posts: 8
    I also have a Limited, and have found the climate control a bit confusing. I have been using the manual fan (did not press the A/C button) and inside of the car gets VERY cool...pretty sure the A/C is turned on even though it is not lit on the LCD. Confusing...
  • craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    There have been comments on how to "shut" off the auto AC but I can't remember exactly how it was done. I think you hold your arm out the window while hitting the panic button on the remote and trying to open the trunk at the same time....you get the jist. It can be done but is confusing. My 06 GLS has AC "on" and AC "off" quite simple. I like that.
    If the Auto knob is pushed, the LCD displays "AUTO". Fan speed, recirculation, AC are controlled automatically. Activate any of these controls forces only that control to operate in manual mode. Ex: with LCD shown "AUTO", AC is ON as needed. Push the AC button, AC is always ON; push it again, AC is always OFF.

Yeah, it is a bit confusing.
    There are several comments about the Sonata LX a/c climate control; however, I have not seen any discussions on the air quality control system which is a part of the auto air conditioning system. If you read the owner's manual for the 2006 model, page 109, and for the 2007 model, page 111, you will see that the AQS should only automatically switch to recirculating inside air in the presence of exhaust gas (or heavy smog). It should not randomly switch to recirculating when no exhaust gas is present.

Other inconsistencies which Hyundai Motor America claims to be "normal" that we and the regional service manager have experienced is as follows: At times, the system doesn't switch over to recirculating in the presence of exhaust gas; at other times it randomly recirculates for no reason at all and will stay on reciruclating for several miles; often switches to recirculating when going under freeway underpasses; and our Sonata and a test drive by the dealer's service manager of a 2007 model both always switched when entering a garage. I could go on and on with many more incidences.

My 2006 Sonata performed perfectly for ten months, then became erratic, recirculating 80% of the time. The dealer replaced the sensor which slowed down the reciruclating but has not resolved the problem. Hyundai claims that the random recirculation is normal regardless of what the owner's manual says.

The dealer's service manager, after test driving two 2007 models, has experienced these inconsistencies and states that he doesn't understand the purpose of the system, since it does not perform as described in the owner's manual. Hyundai refuses to admit to any problem, and we are heading toward arbitration. Also, I am preparing two complaints to be filed with the State Attorney General's office over this issue and the sloshing fuel tank.

I urge you to read your owner's manual and observe how your AQS system is operating. By the way, the air quality in this part of our state is relatively free of smog, so the system should not be recirculating unless it's exposed to exhaust gas.
    Ok, but how about when auto is NOT pushed at all and you just want to use the manual fan (without the AC). You will notice that the air coming from the vent is indeed AC not just a fan, but the "AC" will not be shown on the LCD. On rare occasions, just the fan will come out and you can tell this difference from the AC air.
    Where do you live? I live in San Diego and the recirculation mode is on about 70-80% of time using the "A" button.
    We live in So. Arizona. Your AQS should not be running 70 - 80 % of the time in San Diego. We are very familar with San Diego used to live in So. Calif. befor retiring. Take your owners manual and go to your dealer and ask him to explain why. Hyundai claims I am the only one complaining.
    I had exactly the same issue during the first few days.

Because it was on Auto, you activated one of those 3 controls (see my earlier reply) to gain manual control (just for this control, ex: fan speed), the Auto text is no longer displayed on the LCD, BUT, the other 2 controls (AC and recirculation) are still in Auto.

It remembers the setting on next engine restart. In this example, no Auto message on the LCD, but AC and recirculation are still in Auto mode.

Just press the Auto knob to put the system into a known state, which is auto. Or shut it off and do not activate the Auto mode, manually activate the desired controls.
    The sensor was probably detected fumes which were harmful but odorless.
    Then why at times will the AQS not go to recirculation when diesel fumes enter the cabin and are so strong we have to manually switch. My wife is chronic asmatic and the concept of the AQS was the determining factor in our purchase of the sonata
    "If the Auto knob is pushed, the LCD displays "AUTO". Fan speed, recirculation, AC are controlled automatically. Activate any of these controls forces only that control to operate in manual mode. Ex: with LCD shown "AUTO", AC is ON as needed. Push the AC button, AC is always ON; push it again, AC is always OFF. "

Now that sounds easy. Where was I?
    I guess I will preface my comments with the following facts:
    1. I don't currently own a Sonata with this feature.

2.I don't really know how it actually functions (from a technical standpoint) so I don't know what "triggers" it to automatically use recirculate mode. I am assuming it is some type of sensor but what exactly does this sensor have to sense??? What components in "smog" or exhaust gasses does it need to see?
    If yours seems to have worked automatically for a long time frame I guess it does work. So, with these provisions out of the way my comments then:
    You don't see any discussion of this feature because it isn't of great concern to most who post here. It either works unobserved or doesn't and most don't care.
    I understand your special circumstances (wifes illness or circumstance) but guess what...cars have had (for years and years)a switch or button that can switch between recirculated air and outside air. If you detect something she doesn't like in the form of an odor or particular substance simply reach over and manually make the change to recirculate then when the crisis passes change back to fresh or outside air. Problem solved WITHOUT yet another lawsuit or arbitration trail. Yeah, I understand because Hyundai states it (this feature) exists it should work but whatever sensor drives the system apparently isn't ready for prime time. For my part this feature would be one of those "nice but never used" things like "Shiftronic". Admittedly none in our family has a breathing problem but I have NEVER switched to recirculate mode on ANY of our AC equipped cars for any reason.
    As for the "gas sloshing" problem?? I personally feel you are much too picky and much too quick to file legal recourse for non-problems (in the case of gas slosh) to minor annoyances (auto recirculate) in as much as this can be accomplishes manually.
    This is simply my take on your commentary. In the meantime I will try to educate myself on how this system works.
    Wow...I didn't read all of skeeters post. LEGAL recourse over a sloshing gas tank? C'mon it only sloshes during the first 1/4. Like the transmission shift lag from 1st to 2nd (oh no another thing for the AG) I hardly notice it all anymore. As a matter of fact I just filled up yesterday and have not heard the sloshing.

There are better things for you and our legal system to tackle than this. If it really does bother you that much trade it in and buy another car. No offense intended.
    He (skeeter) stated that he is preparing a complaint to file with his states attorney general's office concerning both the "slosh" issue and the malfunctioning of the auto-recirculate feature. Additionally, he is engaged in arbitration with Hyundai over the same issues...or maybe only the auto-recirculate.
    The air quality sensor functions just like your smoke detector in your house When you pay a premium price for a vehicle most people would expect all systems to operate as described in the sales pitch. In the 65+ years I have been driving I have never heard gas sloshing and I have had some real dogs! Filing for arbritation under the BBB autoline does not tie up the courts and is not binding Also filing a complaint with any state AG does not involve the court systems unless the AG find merit in the complaint Since Hyundai will not even explain to my dealer why the system in my 2006 and the 2007 models do not function as described they are supportive my challenging Hyundai to force them to give reasonable explanations and not just say "its normal" My Sonata runs very good "no lag between 1st & 2nd" and gets 30+ mpg on the highway with a/c at 70+mph for those of you that have shift lag why don't you bite the bullet and complain. The Hyundai Sonata is basically a good vehicle however I am amazed how you people turn your back on issues as tho you are afraid of Hyundai. I now realaize it is a waste of my time discussing issues on this forum.
  • muminmumin Member Posts: 13
    " The Hyundai Sonata is basically a good vehicle however I am amazed how you people turn your back on issues as tho you are afraid of Hyundai"

Skeeter, I'm with you on that and I totally agree with you.

"I now realaize it is a waste of my time discussing issues on this forum"

Well, it's not. You have a very valid point and you should not worry about other's opinions. They're entitled to it, aren't they? Although I do have a gas sloshing problem, it doesn't bother me too much. It doesn't change the fact thought the problem should be addressed by Hyundai's engineering stuff. If not, the legal way is the only road to go. It's not NORMAL to have a car with the gas sloshing problem. Especially a new one. Your fight is not a lost case. I'd be glad to join you , if need be.
  • ctc1ctc1 Member Posts: 66
    I agree with you if system worked well at first and now it doesn't then it is broken and should be repaired. the shame is on Hyundai for saying this is normal. Sometimes no matter how distasteful, litigation is a nesassary evil. Good luck
    First, and foremost just because you may get opposing points of view on an open public forum like this it does NOT mean that it is a waste of time posting...everybody does not and never will agree with you. I personally do not agree with regard to the "gas slosh" issue. This has been discussed very much here and while it may bother you others have stated that it is a minor annoyance and only happens at certain fuel levels (I can't recall if it is mostly empty mostly full or 1/2 tank). If the "slosh" issue it as widespread as may be indicated then I agree Hyundai needs to baffle its tank more effectively but that is an engineering change that may be incorporated at some point down the road...or not. Once again this is my opinion but as to your paying "a premium price" for a Hyundai Sonata LX well I guess but it isn't a $45,000 BMW either so the term "premium" is open to interpretation too. But I do agree that whatever features are available should work and I am with you on this one. In summary: it seems as though you are generally pleased with your Sonata so keep working with...not against...Hyundai on the auto-recirculate issue and I am sure you will get it fixed. Hyundai appears pretty good at customer satisfaction from my experience. Better than some at the least.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Good post.
  • effect18effect18 Member Posts: 41
    For some reason, when I turn on my A/C or my heat in my 2007 Sonata Limited, the temerature guage that tells you the outside temperature becomes wrong. On a day that's only 75 degrees outside, it may go up to 92 degrees when the ac is on. Or on days when its 65 degrees outside, i'll put my heat on, and the temperature outside will go up to 85. The temperature inside the cabin is fine. Is this something I should get checked out, or am I reading it wrong? Anyone else having this issue?
    There are at least two temperature sensors. One is inside the car and controls the operation of the auto-climate control system. It measures interior temperature and compares it to the reading you dial-in on the control panel of the HVAC system then adds AC or heat or something in between to reach the desired temp. Since you state inside temperatures are being controlled properly this one is OK. The other is strictly for your convenience (a feature) and allows you to check outside temps. It is mounted somewhere outside the cabin around the front of the car I think. It does not (as far as I know) contribute to the function of the climate control system. So they are independent in operation. It sounds like your outside sensor is haywire and should be replaced. As an aside: I never understood how these outside temperature sensors escape being unduly influenced by engine heat (which would make them read high) or airflow (which, especially in winter, would make them read low).
  • bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    It could be that the outside temp sensor is "bad." However, if you are checking the outside temp within the first mile or two of driving, my experience and those of friends indicate the the temp readings (regardless of make of car) tend to be "high." After a couple miles of driving, the temp reading is much more accurate.

I have noticed the temp reading tends to show a warmer temp when the car is stopped, at idle, for a few minutes (as in waiting in line at a drive-up window).
    True, the outside temperature may be incorrect for a short while as you first start your drive. If, however, the thing is almost always wrong (either always high or always low or both at different times during the same drive) then it is almost certain your outside temperature sensor or some associated component (the actual dash read-out for instance) is faulty.
    Happened twice in 3 weeks, outside temp was ~ 10C (50F).

I have 07 V6 with auto climate control. Immediately after start, the defrost control (on the driver side) automatically activated, ie, the LED lit. I believe this control automatically runs the AC too. I have a habit not to run AC while the engine is cold, also no frost/fog on the windshield so there is no need for the defrost function. I had to manual depress the button to shut it off. Just for curiosity, I shut off and restart the engine, same thing. If I remember, the LED is lit even on the accessory position (before the cranking the engine).

Is this normal?

I maybe wrong on this, in auto control, if defrost is required, AC will activate but the defrost LED is not lit???
  • maryloarmaryloar Member Posts: 2
    We love our 2004 Sonata LX and have many upgrades including AUTO heating and cooling. Bought in winter of 2003. Could not get heat, so back to the dealer - nothing wrong. Each September since take long trip. Gets cold, cannot get heat unless we put it way up past 75 degrees. Each year into dealer with complaint. Stupid people, nothing wrong!!!!! Do they drive our car? Driving through mountain pass in Sept. very cold. AUTO did not work. Tried every setting. Kept track of exact setting. Had to get it close to 88 degrees to get heat. Wrote letter to dealer, had it in. Got their temperature gauge and tested cabin temp. OK, nothing wrong. AUTO not working properly but dealer said basically have to put up with that. (stupid customer again). Defrost will not work on AUTO. Did they drive car in mountains? NO. Just got little thermometer out! Recently started pelting with rain when we were out. Real downpour. Inside windshield, side windows and rear windows inside started to "fog"up. Of course AUTO was useless. Tried all sorts of settings. Seemed neither "defrost" - front or rear-could clear windows. Finally in pouring rain had to open windows so that could clear off windshield and try to keep it clear. Very, very dangerous. Been bad if we had been on the freeway. Stopped at a store. Had to sit 20 minutes first with windows up and then windows down (in rain )to clear off windows to be able to drive home. Wrote dealer, AGAIN, with copy to President of Hyundai. Woman from agency called this morning to tell us nothing was wrong with car - they have not had it in since this "fogging up incident" but based on when we had it last month! Agency would be willing to buy car back from us at a very good price and arrange for another. Told her we loved the design of our 2004 Hyundai Sonata. That did not like th enew ones. That we wanted ours fixed once and for all. We are going to write to National Transportation Board and have no idea where to go from there. ?Attorney. ?What kind.?Attorney General. Now scared to get on the road in rain, especially freeway. We feel that the defrost system, the heating system, and air conditioning system has a defect somewhere in the computer, software? or ????? Anyone else had any problems like this. This woman told us a Hyundai representative did look aat our car when it was in the shop last month. Service Manager did not say that - just said he had talked to Hyundai people in California. We are so disappointed. We love our Hyundai, but it seems that it is only suitable to dirve when it is not raining hard, is not overly hot. In other words, a "fair weather car". We are fighters. We are not going to let this go. We paid $1,000 extra to cover the computers when we bought car. We want it fixed correctly. Any help anyone can give us would be so appreciated.
  • maryloarmaryloar Member Posts: 2
    Since we got our car in September 2003, our AUTO has not worked properly.No heat, defrost , no a/c. We have it in the shop every year but they tell us nothing wrong. When they put a therometer in the cabin they say temp is OK. However, they are not in the car when it is cold, raining and defrost does not work properly. Anyone else have these problems.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    So what you need to do is take the car to the dealer when it's hot or cold or raining so they can see the problem first-hand. If there is no A/C, it should be clear through their tests (e.g. holding a thermometer in front of the vents) that it is not working. Do this before the warranty expires this September!
  • donny513donny513 Member Posts: 1
    Can someone help me? I have a 2006 Sonata. The "outside temperature" reading says 140 (it's only about 30 degrees outside right now). I can only get heat if I set the temp on "HI". Is there a quick fix such as replacing a fuse or something?
    There is a TSB on this problem. Have the sensor replaced.

http://jerrystout.us/sonata/tsb/ambient%20temperature%20sensor%20replacement.pdf-

Thanks go to Jerry!
  • molly44molly44 Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a new Sonata. The A/C does not work. The fuses are good. Compressor is not working. Could it be a bad compressor? or maybe they forgot to add Freon? Any thoughts would be appreciated
    I'm sure the dealer's service department will figure out the reason for the problem when you take it in to have it fixed under warranty. :)

But, what do you mean by "not working"? Cold air doesn't come out when the A/C is on and the temperature is set to the coldest setting, for example?
  • molly44molly44 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for responding. When I turn the A/C on cold air does not come out when the temperature is set to its coldest setting.
  • desiguy2447desiguy2447 Member Posts: 2
    The AC in my 08 Sonata limited is turning on automatically. While driving to work today I started hearing an odd sound, which turned out to be the AC blowing out at max speed. (I had all my AC vents closed). So I turned it off. Then five minutes later again I heard the same sound, and the AC was again on.

Before I head to the dealer has anyone else had a similar issue?

Thanks
    Are you sure this is an "issue"? I've seen this behavior on multiple cars with automatic climate control, i.e. the unit switches to "max AC" mode at startup to cool down the interior as fast as possible. But then it should ratchet down as the preset temperature is reached. How long have you owned the Sonata? Is this the first time the car has done this in warm weather, with the auto climate control on?
  • desiguy2447desiguy2447 Member Posts: 2
    Yeah this was the first time it has done this in the morning. The temp was around 77 to 78. I have never seen the AC turn on by itself before. When driving to work in the morning around 6:30am I always have the windows down. Also when driving home when it is around 98 outside the AC will not turn unless I switch it on....
    I don't think this normal behavior. Had the car for almost two years.
  • billwardbillward Member Posts: 154
    That sounds exactly like the behavior I would expect; you last two years sound unexpected, or as if you have the Auto-Climate setting turned off.

But what do I know? I've got two GLSes, and neither has auto-climate control; my Father's Suburban and my FILs Lincoln Town Car both do, and they behave as you describe if the climate control is set to auto, but I'm in both of those vehicles so rarely (twice a year each?) that I could be wrong.
    I believe this is a normal situation. With all "automatic climate control" equipped vehicles there is an option to either allow the system to control the interior temperature via an auto button. If you choose this option the interior temperature is controled meaning it either cools or heats depending on the digital temp punched into the system via the dash display and the outside ambient temp. From there the system controls the AC compressor, the heater output (if needed) and the fan speed and I think air output location, dash vent, floor or both. If you (the passenger or driver) decide to vary the fan speed manually or otherwise intrude on the automatic program it (the climate control system) automatically drops out of the auto mode allowing you to pick variables manually. Thus the system becomes a manual type until the "auto" button is once again pushed. Sounds like you have been controlling this manually for all those years and somehow you accidentially hit the auto function and now are amazed it is controlling itself. I strongly believe this is normal.
  • jeff_ohiojeff_ohio Member Posts: 4
    Not sure if this would help, but I have been told that if the system is over charged it might cause this kind of problem. I recently spent 2 months trying to find out why my 04 Sonata's AC ran great in the morning when temps. were cool, but hardly ran at all when temps. were over 80 degrees. The AC would go from cool to hot and at the same time the engine performance was so bad that it felt like I was dragging something behind the car. I would have to shut off the AC completely to be able to drive the car. I had it checked at the dealer, but they found nothing wrong with the system, but I think that they only checked it in the morning at cooler temps. They said that I may have to replace the compressor, which is what the forums were saying. I bought a $40.00 AC recharge kit from AutoZone, drained the system and recharged it with "new" coolant. My car now runs great in any temps. even when it is above 96 degrees out. I believe that the lubrication in the freon was low or bad, and recharging it seemed to fix my problem completely. I have heard that there were some problem early on when the switch was made to the newer coolants, poor quality control may have been the problem. I've been told that when the dealers drain the AC system they have to capture by law so it doesn't effect the ozone, but then they recharge the AC with the same freon that they took out because freon does not go bad. Question is if the freon was a poor quality grade (low on lubrication) when installed at the factory, why would you want to recharge it with the same freon? I would drain the system completely and recharge it with the newest freon on the market, then you will know for sure that at least you are not running an older coolant that may not meet the newest requirements. From everything that I have read recently about AC systems, lack of good lubrication is the major cause for seal leaks and compressor going bad. Hope this helps you out, it helped in my case.
    Just to clarify ...
    Automatic AC/heat controls the fan speed, vent and recirculation. You can override them. If you do, that control is no longer in automatic mode. Untouched controls still work in automatic mode.

For multiple drivers, there is no way to tell which control is manual/auto. The only way is to press the Auto mode and then change whatever you like.
  • mikeg64mikeg64 Member Posts: 4
    Heater is not blowing hot air, the tempature is set for heat and the blower is working but cool air is comming out not hot or warm just cool. heater hose are hot and a/c compressor is not running. i have automaic climate control settings.
  • newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    You need to verify that the door in the ductwork is moving to diverts the hot air. If the door is not moving you need to verify if vacuum is present to operate the door.
  • mikeg64mikeg64 Member Posts: 4
    how do I verify these things?