Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Ranger Exhaust Issues

dper299dper299 Member Posts: 19
edited July 2014 in Ford
I have a 98 ranger 4.0 120,000 miles,4x4 recentley I have noticed steam coming from exhaust when I first start it,along with CLEAR water dripping from exhaust pipe. Is this normal? Or is there a cause of it. Also my motor has a rattling sound when its cold,I understand this is common for the 4.0? Thanks for any help

Comments

• bouffarhbouffarh Member Posts: 4
    The exhaust just bought the farm on my 98 ranger 4 Cyl. 2.0 And i am looking to upgrade to a better performing system. Also looking to do it cheap. Just looking for advice on what system i should go with.
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    It's a 4 cylinder. If you are looking for more power an exhaust system isn't going to do anything for you. You could make it loud. But not fast.

As a matter of fact, whatever you do to it isn't going to make it fast. It's a 4 cylinder.
    I know my truck has no Nut i got it for free i am not complaining. It's also an automatic another downside but the word free makes those all go away
  • bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    "I" didn't say it sucks. I said it is what it is.

Getting it free is great.

Getting it free is no reason to throw money at it trying to make it something it will never be.
    good point
  • boss0tnboss0tn Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if anyone could tell me where I can buy a set of headers for a 1999 ford ranger xlt 4.0L 4x4
  • daizeemaedaizeemae Member Posts: 2
  • daizeemaedaizeemae Member Posts: 2
    Is it easy to remove the catalytic converter? Do I need to replace it with something? I want to remove it because it's screwing up my truck badly. It doesn't need the part. Any advice?

Thanks,
    Daizee-Mae
  • buster15buster15 Member Posts: 38
    Hi all,

The clamp connecting the exhaust pipe (forward end) to the rear pipe off the catalytic converter rotted out today.
    Can I replace the clamp only with an aftermarket or what is required to fix?

Thks
    Dave
  • monkey43054monkey43054 Member Posts: 1
    converter went out on my 99 ford ranger 3.0 v6 and i bought a new universal one at auto zone but it looks like just one converter and I'm wondering if I need 2 converters or does one compromise for what appears to be 2 at the bottom of my truck. any info would be great
    I think you may find you got the wrong convertor. Verify with a different shop/supplier.
  • popeye2upopeye2u Member Posts: 2
    I have a1988 Ford Ranger 2.9, do I have 2 Cats before the mufler. If so why.
This discussion has been closed.