Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler Town and Country overheating

hp3hp3 Member Posts: 2
edited November 2020 in Chrysler
My engine temp will rise to High at random times requiring me to run the heater on high to get the engine cooled down. Using the A/C seems to accelerate the overheating, but it happens without the A/c on as well and it happens randomly. Parts store said might be a cooling fan problem or cooling fan sensor issue. I don't think the cooling fan was running when it was overheating (couldn't hear it), but it was at night and I couldn't see in that area.

No coolant leaks, coolant level is adequate, cap appears fine - no leaks - and there's heat coming out of heater so I believe the thermostat seems ok. Does anyone know what the issue might be or how I'd troubleshoot it or fix it?

See Also
How to Troubleshoot an Overheating Engine

Comments

• masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    What year?

Does it over heat in cooler temps.?

1) Check the fuses for the cooling fans.

2) When you see the temperature gauge going up to hot. Pull over, open the hood and see if the cooling fan is going. (If not, it might be the coolant temp. sensor.)

3) With the van running in Park, at idle speed, turn on the AC and see if the cooling fans are running. (Both fans should run all the time when using the AC.)

4) Make sure there is nothing blocking the flow of air through the cooling coils in the radiator. Sometimes you might have to run the garden hose over the cooling coils to rinse away all dirt and lent build up.

5) You can check the top radiator hose when the van is cold, to see if the thermostat is opening up and not stock closed. When you first start the van, let it run in Park at idle. As you see the temp. gauge going up, feel the top radiator hose to see if it is getting warm/hot. If it is still cold, then the thermostat has not opened yet to allow the coolant to flow thru the radiator to be cooled. If you see the temp. gauge going past the halfway point and the top hose is still on the cool side, it might be the thermostat :shades:
  • playtimeplaytime Member Posts: 12
    Masterpaul-I would like to compliment you on the great job you did of explaining in detail what could be a very serious problem and what this person should check for. But in explaining what to check you did so in such a manner anyone should be able to understand "keep up the great work of helping others" I agree totally with everything you suggested. This forum is very fortunate to have your knowledge and expertise. Thank You - Jack- playtime
  • mikewilson2mikewilson2 Member Posts: 1
    I just had an overheating problem that resulted in ruining the motor. The rear heater tubes rusted out, ran the coolant out of the sysytem and the engine seized. Has anyone else had this issue? I have been told by two garages that this is a "normal" problem with this model. I am looking at a $3000 bill for new motor and heater tubes. My van has 117,000. Do I put the money into it and then have the transmission go or something else.
    Has anyone had transmission problems with this model (2002 T & C)
  • jgianinojgianino Member Posts: 4
    My 1999 Chrysler T&C overheated earlier today. First I smelled anti-freeze then a few minutes later the temp went to HOT. The alarm came on them the fast beep followed. There was no heat coming out of the vents when I tried to turn the heat on full. My wife arrived with bottle of anti-freeze and water. I filled the radiator which was empty. I drove home barely making it before the heat went to HOT once again. What do you think the problem it. Radiator hose?, Themostat? or something else? Thanks, JTG
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,756
    Hard to say without seeing where it was leaking (spraying!) out, so it is probably worth your while to fill it up (with water... a little more environmentally friendly!) and let it run out again. Sounds like a hose split, a clamp failed, or maybe a fitting cracked/broke.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    xwesx - I took your advice and filled the radiator with water only. I ran the engine for 20 minutes. Temp guage never went past 1/2 way. Tried running heat on full and only cold air came out. Then I heard a click and the air warmed up a bit then went back to cold. All the time the temp guage stayed on 1/2. (warm). No apparent leaks coming from the undercarriage. ???????
    Hmmm..... well, if you lost fluid the first two times, it must have gone somewhere. So, did you see white smoke out the exhaust? Are there any "wet" areas in the engine bay? On the engine or transmission? On the undercarriage?

At this point I would recommend a full visual inspection of hoses, clamps, gaskets, radiator cap, and engine oil. "Wet" areas on hoses, clamps, radiator cap, or gaskets may point to the area of failure, though it may be something that currently requires higher-than-idle RPMs to manifest itself. Frothiness or coolant in the engine oil would point to a failed head gasket or cracked block, though I have not heard that to be a common occurrence in these engines.

The on-and-off of the heater may point to a faulty thermostat. When your engine heats up and stabilizes at 1/2 on the guage, feel your upper radiator hose - it should be warm/hot to the touch. If it remains cold or goes warm then cold, then the thermostat is likely bad.

Did your radiator's cooling fans come on at all while it was idling?

If all of this yields nothing, you may need to add coolant to the system again and wait until it manifests once more. :(
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
    No wetness that I could see. The only thing I'm recalling now when you mentioned RPM. Right before the initial smell of radiator fluid I was sitting in my son's school parking lot. He was in the back seat and when I was reaching to hand him a drink I push off what I thought was the floorboard but was actually the accelerator. I quickly realized what I had done and quickly removed my foot. I do not know how high the RPM's got but I am now concerned that I might have hurt the engine.
  • jpfjpf Member Posts: 496
    I have heard of this problem before with other vehicles. Do you live in an area where a lot of road salt is used during the winter months? If so, then after 4 or 5 winters this problem can readily occur. Washing the undercarriage of the vehicle on a regular basis is a good preventative maintenance measure. If you decide to keep the vehicle and replace the engine, then I would recommend changing the transmission fluid and filter. An overheat situation, also means the transmission fluid was not properly cooled and may be contaminated. Keeping the old tranny fluid may damage the transmission. Good luck.
    Are you telling me that I cracked my block. If not what are you telling me. I let the car run for an hour today without overheating. I drove it around but I never revved the engine.
    This poster was responding to a different post.

I am not sure I would consider a cracked block at this point. Did you check your engine oil for any contamination?

It may be worthwhile to replace the thermostat just as a matter of caution, but the fact that the heater core goes cool leads me to think that it is a circulation issue and that means either: 1) thermostat, 2) water pump, or 3) blockage (air or debris).

Any of these could cause intermittent problems unless one has completely failed.
  • hp3hp3 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks very much. The problem was the fan relay. I checked all suggestions above. After taking it to a shop, they decided it was either relay or temp sensor and changed relay first. The sensor is fine.

The main tip-off: when it was overheating, the fans weren't running.... even when AC was turned on. Everything else was operating normally and there were no other inidcators such as cracked blocks, plugged thermonstats etc.
  • 785j3785j3 Member Posts: 1
    96 Town/country with overheating problems when pulling hills in 90 degree plus temp (any gear). New water pump. Radiator full, no leaks. Electric fans functional. Remedy is to pull over and allow the fans to cool off the water temp at idle. Radiator appears to be under-capacitied and incapable of keeping the engine cool. Hard to believe Chrysler didn't do a better job of building an adequate cooling system. Any ideas short of a larger radiator?
  • pyluypyluy Member Posts: 1
    My car is hot when trafic slowly but the radiator cooler fan no on. What I make to this problem?
  • kimbo1kimbo1 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 1998, same issue. There was a TSB on this, the dealer should replace the relay at no charge. You can find this information at Dodge.com Good luck, they've replaced mine six, yes, that's 6 times, 2 different Dodge dealerships and one independent mechanic review, in the 2 years that I have had this 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan! The relay keeps keeps shorting out, which overheats the van very, very quickly, last time I had to pay for the wiring plug that the recalled relay shorted out, and yes, you guessed it, my van sits at the Dodge dealership today, waiting, waiting, same problem. The last replacement was Nov. 2006, ten months ago.
    Below is the bulletin I found regarding my 1998 Dodge Grand Caravan. I have noticed that the Chrysler Town and Country has many of the same bulletins. Dodge has replaced my relay free of charge several times, but last time they charged me for the electrical plug that the relay burned out. It is now at Dodge again, in the shop, waiting, waiting,...I have had the van for 2 years. The first time it overheated, an independant mechanic replaced the thermastat and that did not stop the overheating. He ran a diagnostic and then he gave me the bulletin, so I went to Dodge dealer #1. In a period of a month or two, I visited then often and got new relays. This is my second trip to Dodge #2 for this since last Nov., wish me luck and I'll wish you luck!

ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:COOLING SYSTEM:FAN
    TSB #98771 -- THE RADIATOR FAN RELAY MAY NOT TURN ON THE RADIATOR COOLING FANS, CAUSING ENGINE TO OVERHEAT. *AK (NHTSA ID #601474, MAY 01 1998)
    TSB #183397 -- SUBJECT REGARDING IMPROPER COOLING FAN RELAY ACTUATION. *YC (NHTSA ID #600488, DECEMBER 31 1997)
  • chaz6chaz6 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Chrysler Town & Country LX MiniVan. It has nearly 160,000 miles on it. I live in Michigan where it gets cold and snows. Two weeks ago (end of January), the vehicle began having heating issues...

Upon start up, the engine runs fine. The needle on the engine temperature gauage remains at the bottom, at "C" for at least 5 to 10 mins. Then it slow increases to the 1/4 mark. Then within 1 minute it shoots up the the 7/8 mark close to the "H". (The first few times this happened I shut off the vehicle). However, now I found that after another 5 minutes, the needle lowers back down to the "just below the 1/2 way" mark.

At the same time, my cabin heat stopped functioning correctly. Related? Perhaps.

I can't get any heat in the cabin unless I'm traveling at least 40 mph. Therefore while driving through town, there is not heat. On the highway, I have all the heat I want. However after slowing back down to below 40 mph, the vehicle begins blowing cold air again.

Since I take my children to school in the morning, they are freezing the whole way. I don't dare turn on the heat since it only blows cold air, but instead I've given them blankets. After dropping them off, I hit the highway to get to work, and then I'm warm and toasty!

Let me know what you think,

Chaz
  • masterpaul1masterpaul1 Member Posts: 421
    Have you checked the coolant level in the white overflow reservoir? You should see the coolant line at the minimum line, when the engine is cold and between the minimum and maximum line, when engine is warm. Also, look for visual leaks under the hood and on the ground, when the engine is at regular temp. When you are driving at a constant speed, does it over heat or is it just when driving around town? :)
  • jasonclementjasonclement Member Posts: 1
    I am having the same problem as the guy with the 2001 T&C. Engine keeps overheating at random times, and the inside heat only seems to work when I am giving the van gas... anyone have any insight on this? Are the two issues related?
    Sounds like you are getting an airlock. This may be due simply to low coolant levels, or it could be a water pump issue, or worse. Have you checked the level of your coolant? If it is low, park it on ramps or with nose-uphill, and slowly fill until all bubbles stop emanating from the radiator, then see if it helps.

If it is the water pump, the lack of heat and the overheating will be simultaneous even though you are topped off on fluid. Without the water pump circulating the coolant, the heater core will go cold while the stuff in the engine boils (if hot enough!).
    I HAVE HAD THE OVERHEATING ISSUES SINCE I HAVE OWNED MY 1998 DODGE GRAND CARAVAN. HERE IS WHAT I HAVE FOUND:

THERE IS A TSB ON THESE VEHICLES, HERE IS THE LINK TO LOOK IT UP AS WELL AS RECALLS: http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recallsearch.cfm
    SEARCH FOR THE COOLING RELAY BULLETIN ON YOUR TOWN AND COUNTRY MINI-VAN USING THE SEARCH ENGINE PROVIDED BY THE OFFICE OF DEFECTS INVESTIGATION.

IN MY 1998 GRAND CARAVAN, THE COOLING RELAY WAS DEFECTIVE, THEY HAVE REPLACED MINE 8 TIMES AT NO CHARGE, THE 9TH TIME, THEY, (CRYSTAL DODGE IN CRYSTAL RIVER, FL), SAID IT IS NOT A "LIFETIME RECALL". I DID FIND OUT THAT THE COOLING RELAY SHORTS OUT DUE TO THE HIGH AMPAGE OF THE FAN MODULE, ONCE I REPLACED THE FAN MODULE, I HAVE HAD NO OVERHEATING, WHICH PRIORLY IT HAD DONE 9 TIMES THAT I WAS AWARE OF.
    Make : DODGE Model : GRAND CARAVAN Year : 1998
    HERE IS A COPY OF THE TSB FROM THE OFFICE OF DEFECTS INVESTIGATION:

Manufacturer : CHRYSLER LLC
    Service Bulletin Number : 98771 Date of Bulletin : MAY 01, 1998
    NHTSA Item Number : 601474
    Component : ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:COOLING SYSTEM:FAN
    Summary :
    THE RADIATOR FAN RELAY MAY NOT TURN ON THE RADIATOR COOLING FANS, CAUSING ENGINE TO OVERHEAT. *AK
    HRE IS THE LINK FOR THE 2005 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY TSB'S. YOUR LOCAL DEALERSHIP SHOULD RESOLVE THIS FOR YOU AS SHOWS FROM THE OFFICE OF DEFECTS INVESTIGATION...HOPE IT HELPS!
    HERE IS A COPY OF THE TRANSPORTATION SERVICE BULLETIN FROM THE OFFICE OF DEFECT INVESTIGATION, YOUR LOCAL DEALERSHIP MAY BE ABLE TO RESOLVE THIS FOR YOU UNDER THE TSB:

Safety Ratings Defects & Recalls Safe Driving Information Resources

Office of Defects Investigation
    File a Complaint
    Search Complaints
    Defect Investigations
    Safety Recalls
    Service Bulletins
    Downloads
    Foreign Campaigns
    EWR Information
    Sitemap
    Contact ODI
    (888) 327-4236
    TTY: (800) 424-9153

Service Bulletins - Search Results
    Navigate: ODI Home » Service Bulletins » Results List

Search Results
    Report Date : September 28, 2008 at 03:50 PM
    Search Type : VEHICLE
    Year : 2001
    Make : CHRYSLER
    Model : TOWN AND COUNTRY

Results : 123 | All records displayed
    Make : CHRYSLER Model : TOWN AND COUNTRY Year : 2001
    Service Bulletin Number : 2302007 Date of Bulletin : SEP 27, 2007
    NHTSA Item Number : 10022182
    Component : STRUCTURE:BODY:DOOR:HINGE AND ATTACHMENTS
    Summary :
    POWER SLIDING DOOR ADJUSTMENT AND DIAGNOSIS AID. *KB UPDATED 10/26/07. *NJ

Check to Request Research. Submit below.

Service Bulletin Number : 1400207 Date of Bulletin : APR 05, 2007
    NHTSA Item Number : 10021668
    Component : FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
    Summary :
    CLEANING PROCEDURE FOR THE MECHANICAL THROTTLE BODY. *KB

Service Bulletin Number : 0500106A Date of Bulletin : SEP 23, 2006
    NHTSA Item Number : 10020494
    Component : SERVICE BRAKES, AIR
    Summary :
    SNOW/WATER INGESTION INTO REAR BRAKE DRUM. *KB

Service Bulletin Number : 0803006 Date of Bulletin : AUG 25, 2006
    NHTSA Item Number : 10021239
    Component : POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    Summary :
    POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE INITIALIZATION. *KB

Service Bulletin Number : 0500305 Date of Bulletin : MAR 09, 2006
    NHTSA Item Number : 10019632
    Component : SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC:FOUNDATION COMPONENTS:DRUM
    Summary :
    SNOW/WATER INGESTION INTO REAR BRAKE DRUM. *TT

Service Bulletin Number : 1900805 Date of Bulletin : NOV 02, 2005
    NHTSA Item Number : 10017651
    Component : STEERING
    Summary :
    REVISED POWER STEERING SYSTEM BLEEDING PROCEDURES. *SC

Service Bulletin Number : 58 Date of Bulletin : NOV 01, 2005
    NHTSA Item Number : 10019015
    Component : SEATS:FRONT ASSEMBLY:SEAT HEATER/COOLER
    Summary :
    THE FRONT SEAT ELECTRIC HEATER ELEMENTS MAY FATIGUE AND CAUSE LOCALIZED OVERHEATING AND/OR DISCOLORATION OF THE SEAT COVER SURFACE. CUSTOMER SATISFACTION NOTIFICATION D58 - HEATED SEAT ELEMENTS. *TT

Service Bulletin Number : 2100903 Date of Bulletin : OCT 02, 2005
    NHTSA Item Number : 10003524
    Summary :
    AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION DIAGNOSTIC TEARDOWN PROCEDURE. VARIOUS MODELS INCLUDING THE 2004 RAM TRUCK, DURANGO, SEBRING CONVERTIBLE, CHEROKEE, VISION, NEON, AND VOYAGER. *TT *SC

Service Bulletin Number : 1900403 Date of Bulletin : AUG 04, 2005
    NHTSA Item Number : 10003546
    Component : STEERING
    Summary :
    STEERING SHUDDER. *TT

Service Bulletin Number : 0500204 Date of Bulletin : JUN 21, 2005
    NHTSA Item Number : 10005996
    Summary :

Service Bulletin Number : 0200405 Date of Bulletin : MAY 27, 2005
    NHTSA Item Number : 10016751
    Component : SUSPENSION:FRONT:MACPHERSON STRUT
    Summary :
    CREAKING/SQUAWKING SOUND FROM FRONT STRUT AREA. *TT

Service Bulletin Number : 1802505 Date of Bulletin : MAY 25, 2005
    NHTSA Item Number : 10016750
    Component : ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:ENGINE
    Summary :
    LONG CRANK OR IDLE FLUCATION IN COLD TEMPERATURE WITH E20 - E30 ETHANOL FUEL BLENDS. *TT

Service Bulletin Number : 0200305 Date of Bulletin : MAR 16, 2005
    NHTSA Item Number : 10013699
    Component : SUSPENSION
    Summary :
    RATTLE/KNOCKING SOUND FROM THE FRONT SUSPENSION. *SC

Service Bulletin Number : 0801505 Date of Bulletin : MAR 02, 2005
    NHTSA Item Number : 10013731
    Component : POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION:CONTROL MODULE (TCM, PCM)
    Summary :
    POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE INITIALIZATION. *SC

Service Bulletin Number : 0500404 Date of Bulletin : DEC 03, 2004
    NHTSA Item Number : 10011941
    Component : SERVICE BRAKES, AIR:ANTILOCK:WHEEL SPEED SENSOR
    Summary :
    ANTI-LOCK BRAKE REAR WHEEL SPEED SENSOR REPLACEMENT. *TT

Service Bulletin Number : 2301004 Date of Bulletin : SEP 09, 2004
    NHTSA Item Number : 10006965
    Component : STRUCTURE:BODY
    Summary :
    PASSENGER COMPARTMENT FLOOR WATER LEAK. *TT THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES BULLETIN 23-010-04 DATED 04-29-04. *TT

Service Bulletin Number : 2400503 Date of Bulletin : JUN
    HERE IS A COPY OF THE TRANSPORTATION SERVICE BULLETIN ON THE 2005 TOWN AND COUNTRY, FROM THE OFFICE OF DEFECTS INVESTIGATION. YOUR LOCAL DEALERSHIP MAY BE ABLE TO RESOLVE THIS FOR YOU UNDER THE TSB:

Safety Ratings Defects & Recalls Safe Driving Information Resources

Office of Defects Investigation
    File a Complaint
    Search Complaints
    Defect Investigations
    Safety Recalls
    Service Bulletins
    Downloads
    Foreign Campaigns
    EWR Information
    Sitemap
    Contact ODI
    (888) 327-4236
    TTY: (800) 424-9153

Service Bulletins - Search Results
    Navigate: ODI Home » Service Bulletins » Results List

Search Results
    Report Date : September 28, 2008 at 03:57 PM
    Search Type : VEHICLE
    Year : 2005
    Make : CHRYSLER
    Model : TOWN AND COUNTRY

Results : 54 | All records displayed
    Make : CHRYSLER Model : TOWN AND COUNTRY Year : 2005
    Service Bulletin Number : 2101807 Date of Bulletin : OCT 27, 2007
    NHTSA Item Number : 10023420
    Summary :
    1-2 AND/OR 2-3 SHIFT HARNESS. ERASING AND REPROGRAMMING THE POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE WITH NEW SOFTWARE IS NECESSARY. *KB

Service Bulletin Number : 2302007 Date of Bulletin : SEP 27, 2007
    NHTSA Item Number : 10022182
    Component : STRUCTURE:BODY:DOOR:HINGE AND ATTACHMENTS
    Summary :
    POWER SLIDING DOOR ADJUSTMENT AND DIAGNOSIS AID. *KB UPDATED 10/26/07. *NJ

Service Bulletin Number : 1802907 Date of Bulletin : APR 26, 2007
    NHTSA Item Number : 10021684
    Summary :
    GENERIC POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM) PROCEDURE. *KB

Service Bulletin Number : 1400207 Date of Bulletin : APR 05, 2007
    NHTSA Item Number : 10021668
    Component : FUEL SYSTEM, GASOLINE
    Summary :
    CLEANING PROCEDURE FOR THE MECHANICAL THROTTLE BODY. *KB

Service Bulletin Number : 2200406 Date of Bulletin : OCT 04, 2006
    NHTSA Item Number : 10021247
    Component : TIRES:PRESSURE MONITORING AND REGULATING SYSTEMS
    Summary :
    TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR SYSTEM INFORMATION. *KB

Service Bulletin Number : 0500106A Date of Bulletin : SEP 23, 2006
    NHTSA Item Number : 10020494
    Component : SERVICE BRAKES, AIR
    Summary :
    SNOW/WATER INGESTION INTO REAR BRAKE DRUM. *KB

Service Bulletin Number : 0803006 Date of Bulletin : AUG 25, 2006
    NHTSA Item Number : 10021239
    Summary :
    POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE INITIALIZATION. *KB

Service Bulletin Number : 2301206 Date of Bulletin : JUN 03, 2006
    NHTSA Item Number : 10020046
    Component : SEATS:MID/REAR ASSEMBLY
    Summary :
    3RD ROW SEAT FRONT LEG WILL NOT RETRACT. *TT

Service Bulletin Number : 06 Date of Bulletin : APR 01, 2006
    NHTSA Item Number : 10019905
    Component : ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING:COOLING SYSTEM:HOSE
    Summary :
    LEAKING COOLANT AT THE HEATER TUBE CRIMPS. CUSTOMER SATISFACTION NOTIFICATION F06 - UNDERBODY HEATER HOSES. *TT

Service Bulletin Number : 0500305 Date of Bulletin : MAR 09, 2006
    NHTSA Item Number : 10019632
    Summary :

Service Bulletin Number : 2301704 Date of Bulletin : FEB 25, 2006
    NHTSA Item Number : 10007917
    Component : STRUCTURE:BODY
    Summary :
    3RD ROW SEAT FRONT LEG WILL NOT RETRACT. *MJ *TT

Service Bulletin Number : 01 Date of Bulletin : FEB 01, 2006
    NHTSA Item Number : 10019543
    Component : EQUIPMENT:ELECTRICAL:AIR CONDITIONER
    Summary :
    THE UNDERBODY REAR A/C AND HEATER TUBE MOUNTING BRACKETS MAY HAVE INSUFFICIENT CORROSION PROTECTION - CUSTOMER SATISFACTION NOTIFICATION F01. *TT

Service Bulletin Number : 0803205 Date of Bulletin : JAN 03, 2006
    NHTSA Item Number : 10016171
    Component : AIR BAGS
    Summary :
    DAIMLERCHRYSLER CORPORATION IS NOW OFFERING A PASSENGER AIRBAG DEACTIVATION WIRING PACKAGE. TO INCLUDE 2006 CHRYSLER TOWN AND COUNTRY AND 300/TOURING. *TT

Service Bulletin Number : 0900105 Date of Bulletin : DEC 10, 2005
    NHTSA Item Number : 10013774
    Component : ENGINE AND ENGINE COOLING
    Summary :
    CYLINDER HEAD BOLT RE-TORQUE PROCEDURE. GPOP - ISSUE REVIEW SYSTEM. *TT

Service Bulletin Number : 2200205 Date of Bulletin : DEC 07, 2005
    NHTSA Item Number : 10018985
    Component : TIRES:PRESSURE MONITORING AND REGULATING SYSTEMS
    Summary :
    TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR - SYSTEM INFORMATION. *TT

Service Bulletin Number : 2102205 Date of Bulletin : NOV 04, 2005
    NHTSA Item Number : 10018572
    Summary :
    INACCURATE SPEEDOMETER. *AK

Manufacturer : CHRYSLER
  • reddog607reddog607 Member Posts: 6
    check the fan relays there are two or three depending on the model
  • ndurham84ndurham84 Member Posts: 3
    Hey Guys
    I have a 2001 town and country that is leaking coolent. Hose seem to be fine looks like it leaking on the passanger side behind the fire wall, there are 2 rusted out metal pipes, you can tell it leaking from there. It don't look like to big if a problem to replace if i could just figure out what they are called i always thought they were called heating tubes, anyone know?
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I'm gonna guess that these are the inlet/outlets from your heater core, which is located under the dash somewhere.
    Car overheated last night, lost heat, took a look today and the metal pipes on the under carriage are in bad shape, that the only leak that I'm seeing.
    there are 4 total, the first 2 that run the length of the van look perfect, other two small ones maybe a foot and a half, are rusted out and leaking coolant. lost heat when this happened, still sound right? what would they be under on like autozonecom?
  • hofmanelectrichofmanelectric Member Posts: 1
    There's a lot of discussion about T&Cs overheating, but I have a question that I didn't find an answer to earlier. My radiator fans don't come on, and I replaced the relay on the driver's side below the air filter, but they still don't work. other ideas?
  • hdave7hdave7 Member Posts: 9
    Having a overheating problem on my 2000 Town & Country. Diagnostics points to a Fan Relay needing to be replaced but I have been unable to locate this part on the car. Any help on locating and replacing it would be appreciated.
    Have finally located the Fan Relay for the engine radiator fans. Replaced it and fans are operating once again. The relay was rivet mounted in the air intake passage just below the drivers side headlight assembly. I removed the air-filter and intake ducts and then removed headlight assembly from the frame(1 bolt on top & 3 nuts in back). Next I disconnected the two lamp connectors to complete the removal process. Lastly there was one more screw holding the upper half of the forward section of air intake. Under this was the Fan Relay. Disconnected the relay, drilled out the rivets, pulled out the old relay and put in the new. Used sheet metal screws to secure it in place. Tested it and reinstalled everything. Working fine so far.
  • kat67kat67 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2010
    replaced thermostat and fan relay and still overheating. fans still not running. any ideas?
  • egamboaegamboa Member Posts: 2
    :mad: I'm having fan problems, I stop the engine but the fan wont stop runing, it had runed my battery down the first time cause I did not noticed, now I have to pull the fan fuse every time I stop and put it back on when I'm ready to go, a certified mecanic from cadillac told me it most likely be the fan relay that needs to be replace, the mechanics at Chrystler didn't find nothing wrong ( imagine that ), of course, didnt hapen when they checked it, now it won't stop doing it; did anybody ha this problem before. The funny thing is that it happened when they had the car for oil change, then all started. THIS CAR IS PROBLEM AFTER PROBLEM; BACK BREACKS, FRONT BREACKS, ROTORS, THEY HAVE TO BE REPLACE ALMOST EVERY 10k to 15k MILES, I ASSUMED THAT THE " MOPART '' PARTS THAT THEY USED ARE NOTHING BUT CRAP, DON'T KNOW WAY THEY BRAG ABOUT IT, THEY NEED A BETTER AFTER MART MANUFACTURE FOR THEIR PARTS. DOES ANYBODY HAVE ANY COMMENTS ON THIS MATTER?

THANKS
    Ps:I' ll think about it before buying a Chrystler next time.
  • egamboaegamboa Member Posts: 2
    Do you know how many relays on a 2008 T & C ?

thank u for the info

GAMBOA
  • yuphen8yuphen8 Member Posts: 2
    i have the same issue..my fans is not kicking in when my a.c. are on..so it overheated..just wondering is 2000 and 2001 the same..mine is a lxi..i need help bad...thanks..
    not sure if 2000 and 2001 are same but think there's a good chance they have the same fan relay setup.
    If the fans never come on when the engine is beginning to get hot, like when the engine sits idling for 10 mins or more, then there's a good chance the fan relay may be the problem. The relay was less than $15 a year ago and it took about 30min to replace and I was figuring it out as I went. Locating the relay (on the car) was my biggest problem.
  • yuphen8yuphen8 Member Posts: 2
    i change the fan relay,but it's still overheating,any idea?thanks
  • olrolr Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem that you have. I found the the pigtail (468 7259 wiring jumper) is shorting. I wiggled it while the motor was hot and it began to run. I am having a problem finding the replacement part because it has been discontinued. I am canvasing junkyards now for a replacement. I rigged a wire hanger to create pressure on the plug and it operating now. Need to find a wiring jumper fast.
  • abw2011abw2011 Member Posts: 1
    Van overheated last night. Coolant was leaking from one of the 4 metal pipes run the length of the van, they maybe a foot and a half, are rusted out and appear to be leaking coolant. Filled overflow tank with coolant and is full, but still overheating. Any thought? What would they be under on like autozonecom?
  • karbevkarbev Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2000 Chrysler Town and Country and it is overheating. i deliver the newspaper and it does fine when i drive long distances, but, when I start doing my route with the slowing down and starting up again, is when it starts to overheat. Steam comes out from under the hood on passenger side. Turned off engine and let it cool and i was able to drive it home. Mechanic came over and we replaced the water pump and he also switched out some of the fuses in the fuse box under the hood. Turned ac on and the fans wouldn't come on, he wanted to go get freon to charge ac so it would be stronger to turn on fans, but, we decided against it. So, next morning I started my route and it did the samething, When I got to a stop, I turned off engine to go deliver a paper at an apt. and I noticed water dripping on passenger side. Got back in and started route again and steam started coming out from under hood on passenger side, thought I would stop and let it cool down again, but, before I could do that, a lot of steam started coming out from under the hood on driver side and i got out to check, and water all over ground, too hot to check under hood, of course, sat there and waitted, was able to open up hood and only thing i saw was some water in the tray that holds the battery. So, I had it towed home and mechanic came over next day and found a crack in the radiator and also noticed that the fan on drivers side, he could turn the blade, but, the fan on passenger side wouldn't turn at all. So, now he thinks that we definitely need a new radiator and also the fans-maybe just the one. As far as the fans, could it still just be the Fan Relay, or has it gone past that? Please help. I am a single mother and need an honest opinion. Don't want to get taken advantage of because I am a women.
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    edited October 2011
    Sounds like the fan on the passenger side of the radiator is frozen (since you can't turn the blade by hand). That by itself would explain the overheating, especially in stop and go driving. With the van moving, there is enough air being forced though the radiator to keep things cool. When you stop, only the fan(s) pull air through.

Sometimes the fan and it's motor are able to be repaired. I've done that twice on one of my cars. But, it takes some time and patience, and there is no guarantee. Also, probably not worth the money if you have to pay someone to do it.

Fan relay may be OK. Hard to say from your description of the symptoms.
  • jawcrcjawcrc Member Posts: 1
    Hi my t/c overheats when driving on the freeway. But not when I stop an let it sit idling? Just replaced the radiator because it was cracked and the thermostat at it. I have knowticed that the upper radiator hose gets very hot but the radiator cap is cool to The touch. One of the fans is having a bit of an issue however on freeway thy Gould t matter right? Also no cabin heat whats so ever. I did bypass the rear heater core. Because one of the metal lines was leaking so I joined them together at the location where it's rubber under passenger door. Would this cause it to overheat? Or is there another problem? No waterleaks as I can see now? Thanks everyone
  • shipgrad2002shipgrad2002 Member Posts: 1
    I had this issue with an older car I had. When I looked at the jumper it was obviously corroded. I took a wire brush to it, and it worked perfectly after that. the other option that I have heard of is cutting the jumper out and hard wiring it.
  • budg1budg1 Member Posts: 1

I too was having non cycling engine fans. Thank you all for your great advise. Just needed a fuse. Experts sharing their knowledge makes the web an awesome tool/manual. God's best for you all, always.

• vite1vite1 Member Posts: 1

where is the cooling fan relay at? My cooling fans aren't working either, and they are brand new, and what is the "jumper" that you guys are talking about? Thank you  For your help

• caligurl78caligurl78 Member Posts: 2
    @Masterpaul1,
    I have the same problem as hp3". I started off by changing the radiator cap, then cleaned the bugs and dirt etc off the radiator, No luck. I then replaced the relay box/house cause I thought my fans wasn't working properly etc, and the guy tested it and it seemed to not be working by the indication of the lights on this lil tool thing that looks like a screw driver. Still no luck. I noticed a lil leak under the thermostat, so he replaced the thermostat and the gasket because it was said that it wasn't properly on which caused it to leak. No luck! It still runs hot. So both fans come on when parked in idle once I cut the AC on. After I cut the Ac off the fan stays on a lil longer but then they got louder as if they gonna go out? so I think they are working properly?
    So I check everything you said to check. I did noticed the gauge going up at a faster pace then before. So I then pulled over and cut the van off. At that point the fans stopped running unlike usually when I cut the van off. Usually they continue running for a bit then cut off. But not anymore. So I check/squeezed on the top radiator hose and its steaming hot and hard as if its full of water is, not flowing. Feels like the hose is gonna burst I also I hear bubbling noise, as if the water is boiling and just got turned off to cool down. Please help!

• Kimmiekai5Kimmiekai5 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2020
    I have a 2013 chrysler town & country when you turn on ac it starts running hot immediately, when you turn it off it cools back down. If you stay parked with van in park for period longer than 45mins to an hour temp starts increasing. What are the possibilities of causes & estimated cost of repairs?