Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

2004 Odyssey vs 2004 Sienna vs 2006 G Caravan SXT

tinyguytinyguy Member Posts: 44
edited March 2014 in Dodge
For the first time in my life, I am considering buying a used vehicle. My current lease is about to expire and I was wondering why do I need to return a perfectly running vehicles at the end of every lease I have experienced through?

Choices (from Canada):
- 2004 Odyssey EX, 100,000km at $19k CA
- 2005 G Caravan SXT, 50,000km at $14k CA
- 2004 Sienna LE, 100,000km at $20k CA

What are the (relatively trouble free) life expectancy of the above vans? If I want to keep them for the next 4 years, which would end up with lower ownership cost?

Which would you choose?

Comments

• Options
    hansiennahansienna Member Posts: 2,312
    The title says 2006 GC SXT but the paragraph says 2005 GC SXT. Which year is it?
    I would get the 2006 GC SXT with less miles, lower mileage, and lower cost. The separately controlled temperature for the driver and front passenger of the GC SXT is a VERY important feature which NEITHER the 2004 Ody EX or 2004 Sienna have. ;)
    The 2004 Ody EX has the most comfortable seats BUT the Ody EX 3rd row fold into the floor seat is only one piece while the Sienna LE and GC SXT have 60/40 split fold into the floor 3rd row seats. :shades:
  • Options
    Yes I meant to say 2006 - I knew G Caravans depreciate faster but it is insane to see such big differences.
  • Options
    aaron_taaron_t Member Posts: 301
    Regarding buying based on resale/resudial: Buy the HonToys new or the domestic used (or new with very good prices).
  • Options
    The insane thing is that people will pay so much for a used Odyssey or Sienna that has less content than the Grand Caravan. :confuse:
  • Options
    Buy ONLY any of the 3 new but make sure you get a HUGE discount on the Grand Caravan, a reasonably large discount on the Sienna, or a lesser discount on the Odyssey since Honda NEVER gives factory rebates on the Odyssey.
  • Options
    jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    I would probably get the Grand Caravan, as that van has some major depreciation and is a good deal used. New, the DCX van is a good deal, but they're better deals used.

Most of the time, it's better to buy the Honda/Toyota/Lexus/Acura cars new, and the Chryslers, Fords, and Chevys used, unless you can get a screaming deal.
  • Options
    thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I'd wonder why such a new van was already on the lot.

Our two Chrysler's never made it to the end of their warranty when we had them - we got rid of them before they ran out because it would have been so expensive to keep them up at that rate should the warranty expire.
  • Options
    Oh well, I ended up purchasing a 04 Sianna LE. It has kinda highish mileage (117000km), and it was sold at about 50% of the original MSRP. It is exactly 3 years old, off the lease owned by one person. Record looks good, interior looks good and it seems to drive very clean.

I hope this car won't cause any problems... (crossing my fingers!)
This discussion has been closed.