Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Voyager/Caravan Tires and Wheels

nvdfwnvdfw Member Posts: 3
My 05 Dodge Caravan came with a compact (mini) spare tire under. I am wondering if there is room and if the wire will manage a full size spare tire with a heavier wheel.

Comments

• betitoebetitoe Member Posts: 1
    My rear passenger wheel has 3 broken studs. I took the wheel out but couldn't remove the hub/brake drum from its place.
    I took out the grease cap, drum nut, and bearing cone also but the hub/brake drum still intact.

It is a Plymouth voyager SE year 1995. Can somebody help me with my problem?
    Thanks
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    .. loosen the hand brake cable so that the rear shoes can be moved away from the drum.
  • minardiminardi Member Posts: 30
    Did Dodge ever offer a Caravan with 14" wheels with a 4 lug nut pattern? Several years ago I purchased a complete axle assembly(leaf springs, straight tube axle, etc.) from an auto salvage yard to use for a utility trailer. Seller told me it was from a Dodge Caravan. I need to replace the wheels but was told that Dodge never used a 4 bolt wheel on Caravans. Any help will be apprecaited.
  • shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Per Tirerack, the 1984 Caravan was available with a 14" wheel that used a 4-100 bolt pattern. I'm thinking that's what you've got. ;)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • phillrecophillreco Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 caravan with 14 inch wheels. I want to get those 16 inch aluminum wheeles off the more outfitted t+c or grand caravan. Seems like the bolt patern would be the same? Phillreco
    "I have a 2000 caravan with 14 inch wheels. I want to get those 16 inch aluminum wheeles off the more outfitted t+c or grand caravan. Seems like the bolt patern would be the same? Phillreco"

Nope, sorry, the OEM 16" wheels from the minivans with larger wheels will not fit any vans with a 14" wheel size from the factory. The bolt pattern for the 14" wheels is 5-100 while the bolt pattern for vans with 15" and larger wheels is 5-114.

Now, with the above said, TireRack does in fact carry six 16" wheels that will fit your van, and if you opt to go that route, then you'll need to buy a different tire size than what is standard on the 16" wheel equipped vans. The overall diameter of the 205/75 R14 tires that most likely came on your van is about 26.0", however, the 215/65 R16 tires that came on the 16" wheeled vans is roughly an inch larger in diameter. What that means is that to keep your speedometer and odometer accurate, you'll need to opt for 215/60 R16 tires.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • phillrecophillreco Member Posts: 4
    Thanks Shipo, I needed that. I'm getting about 17 mpg aon a 3.3. Plugs wires air filter are all good and it runs great. I saw one post where they were getting 22 mpg on a 3.8? I tried putting a Jet computer chipin a 97 318 ram I got but iit only gave me about 50 miles on a tank of gas seems like the older dodges got better milage. wo, that 17mpg was on that 2000 caravan.
    Hmmm, 17 mpg sounds low, especially if that's primarily highway.

On the 1998 DGC 3.8 that I just traded in two months ago I was getting about 19 city, 22.5 in a city/highway mix, and as much as 28 (taking it really easy, 25 was more typical) on the highway. That said, the 3.8 liter vans have taller gearing and as such, the engines turn a few hundred RPMs slower at highway speeds than the 3.3 vans.

Best regards,
    Shipo
  • ettiennesettiennes Member Posts: 2
    I got 70000 miles on my original set of tires and then put on a set of Michelins because they are advertised to be a safe tire and supposedly allegedly give you 30000 extra miles. The reality is I only have 37000 on those Michelins and they need to be replaced, so much for paying extra for better tires. Anyway I'm wondering what were the original tires fitted to the Voyager? Was it Goodyear?
    I suspect they were the same Bridgestone Turanzas that came on our 2003. That said, the Brigestones, while they gave a long service life were, from pretty much every other perspective, junk tires. Personally I'll sacrifice some tread life to have a tire that has better grip in sketchy weather conditions and better handling when the roads are dry.

FWIW, the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred and the Michelin HydroEdge typically get top marks from both a longevity and ride, handling, & grip perspective. I've run two sets of the TripleTreds on two of our vans and they both were at roughly 65,000 miles when I replaced them (which I did because winter was looming large and not because the tires were down to the wear-bars).
  • ettiennesettiennes Member Posts: 2
    Thank you.
    I checked my records and my van came with Goodyear Integrity tires fitted, so that's what I'm putting back on, at least I know they gave me good service.
    I read all the reviews and see that Michelin Hydroedge gets the best ratings, but I'm rather put off by the poor tire life. I'm in Florida, maybe they don't do well with the heat.
  • xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,793
    edited March 2010
    I was about to say that the Integrity does not perform well on snow/ice, but since you mentioned you are in Florida, that should not be a problem! Tire life on that tire, along with several others made by Goodyear (including the Assurance line), is outstanding. The benefit of Integrity is that is is much more economical to fit on the vehicle than any of the Assurance tires.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • mk14mk14 Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2012
    in 1984 I think it was they did I had one .. a caravan with 4 lugs and 14 inch wheels