Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Torrent Ignition Problem

vickytvickyt Member Posts: 2
I have had my '06 Pontiac Torrent since Jan 1 2007. It has been in the dealer 3 times for ignition problems. It started out being hard to turn, then I would have to jiggle it for quite a while to get the car started. I took it in the first time and they said it was a factory defect, removed the ignition, cleaned and oiled it and that should fix it. I could tell it was still catching but I gave them benefit of the doubt because they said GM would not pay for a new ignition switch. That lasted about 2 months and it started again, this time they replaced the ignition switch. Yesterday it was towed in and is currently in the dealer for the third time.
I love everything about this vehicle, but this is not making me a Pontiac fan. Has anyone else had this problem?

Comments

• dannyd3dannyd3 Member Posts: 56
    I have a 2006 torrent purchased in sept. 06, the odd time it is as if the key gets stuck and wont turn is this what has happened to you. I know from previous vehicles sometime the steering wheel has to be moved to unlock the key... Have you had any prob with rear spoilers expanding in the heat and hitting when opening the trunk?
  • vickytvickyt Member Posts: 2
    I wish the ignition problem was as easy as moving the steering wheel. They are replacing it again and giving me a new key this time. I guess they realized that keeping the damaged key from last time wasn't a good idea! Go figure. I haven't had any problems with the rear spoilers. I haven't had any other problems, knock on wood.
    I'll keep on eye on my ignition, wonder how long it is covered under warranty
  • rlt2rlt2 Member Posts: 13
    Hi all, I'm also having an ignition problem. When I turn my key to start vehicle, it doesn't always "turn over". Sometimes I have to keep key turned for about 10 seconds before it starts. Anyone have this problem?
    As far as I understand or so someone told me the Pontiacs have an electric starter. There is nothing wrong they just turn over sometimes and I guess try to find their sparking point, but I am going to ask my dealer about it all the same b/c my torrent does it also the odd time. Weird but I am told normal
    also I forgot to mention you actually dont have to hold the key just turn and let go the car will start try it. It is habit to hold the key I know.
    FYI - I took my Torrent into service to check out the starter. They ran diagnostics and found no problem. Hopefully it's normal We'll see what happens.
  • phoofvalphoofval Member Posts: 1
    I have a 06 Pontiac torrent since 4/07. I have had the key completely stuck in the ignition. I also have had problems with excessive cranking with the starter. I turn the key let go and the starter tries to turn over. My vehicle has been to the dealer 6 times. They have replaced the relay,the cylinder & key, ignition switch and regreased everything. Yesterday I tried to start my car and it just cranked would not turn over, tried for 3 times later my husband tried and got it to start. Today it started the first time but the second time it acted funny again. This is very frustrating because you dont know if it will start. My sister also has an 06 torrent and she has had the cylinder replaced on hers. I spoke to her today and she said recently her key stuck on her. Obviously there is a bad design with the starter/key set up. I will call the dealer tommorow and waste my time again. By the way one of the mechanics told me the 07 has a new design-gee I wonder why.
    I have had my 06 since September 06 and I have had that same problem from day 1 but it doesn't happen as frequent as it seems yours does. Speaking with other people I was led to believe that it is the electric starter system but nothing wrong, I am going to question my dealer about this as well. Also my key sometimes gets stuck. My inlaws have an 07 I am going to see if theirs has this problem.
    Hi. I have had my 2006 Torrent since 9/06. I have had the same problems as you with the ignition cranking and very slow to start. It usually starts...eventually. I've brought it back to the dealer 3 times and they tell me "it works as designed". I'm due to go back to dealer again and this time bringing my husband since they don't seem to take me seriously being a woman! Now that I know it's not just my vehicle perhaps they will listen!
  • bccledbccled Member Posts: 1
    I have the 2007 Torrent- the first time I had trouble I was able to jiggle the wheel and get the key to turn. Today I was unable to turn the key no matter what I did. What was funny was the remote start worked but I was still unable to turn my key. I called the dealer and they were going to tow it but I ended up getting a ride home to get my spare key to try which did work. Now my regular key works too. I have a service appointment next week, it will be interesting to see if any problems show up.
  • lawsonklawsonk Member Posts: 4
    Ive had my Torrent since April of 06. Occasionally I have had the problem where it takes a few seconds to start as described above, but sofar it has always started.

On Saturday, the key got stuck in the ignition, and was absolutely not comming out with any amount of steering wheel turning and wiggling. I was still able to start and drive it while the battery still had juice, but I was not able to remove the key from the ignition. With the key stuck in the ignition, the battery remained engaged, and the vehicle at risk of theft. Because the Pontiac Dealership is closed on weekends (and no I did not disconnect the battery), the battery died completely by Monday morning - I couldnt even unlock the doors to get in. It was taken to the garage by tow truck this morning (after the towtruck driver broke into it from the inside). I will followup with what the problem was.
  • dahlbpmndahlbpmn Member Posts: 12
    My 2006 Torrent has had intermittant issues with starting. The engine won't fire. This has gone on for a year with increasing frequency-at the dealer 3 times this month. Eventually it starts but may take 3-8 tries at starting. Seems to happen when I do several short trips. Dealer has done hot soaks, load test battery, fuel pressure test and cleaned tac bore. Have also done several software updates and checked service bulletins but no definitive answer. The "patient" is home now for another test run. GM engineers are now involved. Anyone have a solution to their starting difficulties? I have also had the check engine light go off and on often and they aren't sure if there is a connection. :mad: :confuse:
    There was an object interfering with the shift lever, preventing it from fully engaging in Park (according to the mechanic, the cable was out 1/8th of an inch). So if you are having problems removing your key from the ignition, and it hasnt anything to do with the position of your steering wheel... check taht the shift lever is engaging fully into park, that nothing has fallen into the well...then try to remove your key.
  • stephanievstephaniev Member Posts: 2
    I am having the same intermittant starting problem with my '07 Torrent. This too, has gone on for the last year, with increasing frequency. The 1st time I took it to the shop, they got it to start no problem and told me nothing was wrong. They said if it happens again, don't try to start it, so they can run diagnotstics on it. It stranded my brother once after that, but the tow truck man got it to start, so it wasn't towed it. The next time it happened, I did what the service people said. I left it as it was, had it towed to the dealership to get looked at. They told me it was loose battery cables, and they fixed it. 2 weeks later, it was back in the shop. They said they could not find anything wrong. I said to keep the car until they fixed the problem, they said they cannot do it. I was left with no choice but to take back my car. They said AGAIN the next time it happens, to leave it as was.. blah blah blah. Today (2 days after pickup) I got stranded out of town again. Howver, I ignored their advice, and on the 3rd attempt (luckily) my car started. I am starting to think that I will have to live with this for the remainder of my lease.
    :mad: :mad: :mad:
    Thanks for posting. I haven't had problems since March-until today. I made a quick trip (which I am avoiding due to gas prices) and it happened again. It always has started but has taken anywhere upto 8 tries. I have even taken the key out and turned it around. We are describing it as the engine not firing. Last time I was in I was running up to the end of my 36k warranty. The dealer suggested I call GM and I did. They started a file, worked on my car some more, were in contact with the dealer, etc. I ended up with an extended warranty to 100,000 miles at no charge to me. I am too good of a GM customer at that dealer for them to risk losing me. I have bought my last 4 cars there and have all my service done there.
    Make sure you are documenting everything and insist that the dealer check with GM because they do have a history of my vehicle. Keep in touch.
    Good luck.
  • joeltahoejoeltahoe Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2006 Pontiac Torrent with the same hesitating start. The dealership replaced the key cylinder and made some computer adjustments, but the problem returned with increasing frequency.

Until recently, the car always started; however this Saturday, the car would not turn over at all. Fortunately, I was with mechanic at the time, and he said to depress the accelerator to the floor, and the car started. He said it suggested a problem with the fuel pump.

The dealership tied to make me feel better by saying that the same problem exists with the Vibe, and Lucerne. I told him my German and Japanese cars don't do this, and that GM has had 100 years to design an ignition system that works.

He said to bring the car back to the dealership. We'll see what happens.
  • mmckeemmckee Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE HAD SO MANY PROBLEMS W/ MY TORRENT. I AM ABOUT READY TO LET THEM HAVE IT BACK..... IT IS OUT OF WARRANTY NOW SO IT IS COSTING ME NOW. IGNITION X2, SENSORS KEEP GOING OUT, BATTERY, RADIATOR FANS AND FAN MOTORS. ALSO IT SHOCKS THE DAYLIGHTS OUT OF ME ALL THE TIME... THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT STAYS ON NEARLY ALL THE TIME... THE DEALERSHIP IS BASICALLY GOOD TO ME. WHEN I WALK THROUGH THE DOOR THEY SAY HERE COMES TROUBLE.... I GET SO FRUSTRATED. IT IS NOT THEIR FAULT I KNOW BUT, I HAVE TO GRIT MY TEETH.
    PLEASE ANYBODY THAT KNOWS WHAT I CAN OR SHOULD DO PLEASE LET ME KNOW............... :cry:
    Have you talked to GM? When I was having problems someone at the dealer suggested I call GM directly. You need to get your dealer, GM and yourself all working together. Tell your dealer you are contacting GM and tell them of your issues and that they need to offer more support to your dealer. In my case GM started a file and worked with the dealer-staying in touch with them. My car seems to have settled down(starting issues and the check engine light coming on) and I was also given a 100,000 mile full warranty. I was just about out of my 36,000 and that is why I pushed them to find a solution. Good Luck
    Hello everyone,

I was having problems with my ignition as you have read in the past finally the dealer noticed that there was a reprogram notice in the system for certain Torrents but not mine. My dealer went ahead and reprogrammed my Torrent with this update. I will keep you all posted if it helps.
    I have a 2006 Pontiac Torrent with the same intermittent starting problem, or failure to turn over as described by other. I've been through reprogramming the computer and the ignition replacement, and most other repair attempt listed.

After 3 visits to the dealership, they determined that I had a very high level of "Upper-End Carbon Buildup" in the motor. They performed an "Engine Decarb Procedure" as described in SI DOC 03-06-04-030F (whatever the heck that is?)

In any case, I have not had any starting issues in 2 months. They may have been giving me a line of bull, but so far, the problem has gone away with this Engine DeCarb Procedure.

I don't really know how the engine had such a bad carb build-up as we take long trips in the car and always burn good gas (Chevron).
    Thanks

I will keep this fix for future fixes, for now my is working well no problems in 2 weeks but it is still early to tell.
  • notlovingitnotlovingit Member Posts: 1
    Hello everyone,

Let me first say I am actually happy to find this site as I was being led to believethat no other torrent is full of probs. I own a 06 sport. I bought it in dec'06 as a clearout, after my partner bought one in June06. 2 wks after purchase I had to have it towed to the dealership as it was dead in the morning- no cranking nothing. When they finally got it in it started like a dream, I brought it home and within a wk was doing the same thing finally they kept it overnight and lo and behold I wasn't just a dumb female! That was fixed- replacement of computer module. However this is where my story gets good-- I have replaced both front hub assemblies TWICE, the dealership and GM have not done anything to date as to why this is happening! Oh the RKE, I have had issues with this as well, they both are currently working but range is terrible. Today the beast was in again as the air bag sensor light has been on since Monday contsantly. Another expensive repair if I wish to fix it, just the power window motor that I have also had to have looked at.
    I am hoping to get rid of this vehicle. And if you are wondering about the other one it has had hub assembly replaced on fr dr side and there was a time we thought another would have to be done but it was the brake rotor
    hello - Just as an fyi for people who are having problems with the key sticking in the ignition, this happened in my 06 torrent and after having GM mechanics tinker with it for hours, they discovered that it was an interference with the gear shift - IT WAS NOT FULLY ENGAGED IN PARK. The mechanic said that if the gear cable was out of line even a hair the key would stick.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    You can read more about the Pontiac key problem in the Pontiac Grand Prix Key cannot be removed from ignition discussion.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • aakidd0204aakidd0204 Member Posts: 2
    This sounds just like my car! I have a 2006 Torrent and the engine won't fire! Its sounds like it trying but will not turn over! My car has been at the dealer about 12 times for this! The mech asked if anyone else drives my car bc they thinks i'm crazy! I have called GM spoke with someone that could not speek very good english! Now I need to call them back I got to tired of messing with it I said just 4 get it! I'm over it! well now i'm tired of it doing it and I want ANSWERS!!! I have had the car since sept of 07 ( I have 34,000 miles on the car) so my warrenty runs out at 36,000 what do I do!!! If anyone has a phone number for GM please give it to me!
  • dannyd6dannyd6 Member Posts: 1
    I was wondering if the truck is still problem free starting, the reprogram didn't seem to work on my vehicle as i had hoped. The dealer wants to charge me $130 to do the de-carb thing you did. I have had this prob from day 1 so I dont understand the carb build up.
    I have two phone numbers I found in my notes. I am not sure which one is the correct one for GM customer service. 800-462-8782 or866-790-5700. You need to pursue this and also work with your dealer. I told GM that the dealer needed their support to solve this. The dealer was very willing to work with GM but it had to be initiated by me. They started a service contact number for me and over about a 10 day period they seemed to have solved it. The last problem I had was last winter except for one time on July 4, 2008. My Service Manager at the dealer went to bat for me and I got an extended warranty-bumper to bumper for 100,000 miles. I pointed out to them that I was an excellent customer and they didn't want to lose me. I had purchased my last 4 cars at the same dealer. I think that was a lot of the reason why I got the extended warranty. Take notes on all conversations! Good Luck!
    Hi dannyd6,

Problem has started again. I think there might be something to this "High-End Carbon Buildup" that people are talking about. I run long trips, and only burn Chevron, so I shouldn't have this problem.
  • samiamlsamiaml Member Posts: 10
    :mad: I have this same problem.... 3 weeks ago i bought a 2006 Torrent wit 32,700 miles and within a week i started havin this long crankin time prob when starting... My husband was drivin at the time and i just though he was holdin the key to long it being a new vehical and all and all cars are different.... But now its been starting to happen to me... Sometimes i can hold the key and count to 10 slowly in my head and still no start... I dont want to ruin the starter or n e thing so i let it go and try again and sometimes nuttin or sometimes it starts....Sometimes it can take 5 or 6 try before it will start.... Really weird if ya ask me... like it has a mind of its own...lol... Im worried one day it wont start then im stranded..... Which is horriable for just gettin the truck 3 weeks ago.... So i called the dealer and explained my prob and they told me to bring it in... So i did... and later that day they call me and tell me my truck is ready to be picked up... so i ask what did they find wrong with it and he said nuttin... they started it cold... started it warm ect and it started all times fine.... So when i went and picked it up i said you know this is a big issue not only did it start having this prob only a week after i drove it off there lot but im worried one day it will not start and then im stranded some where and cant make it to work or pick up my daughter from school ect,,,,, He said he understands my anger but if the dignoses computer dosnt throw up a error code then as far as hes concerned theres nuttin wrong with the vehical... I said do you think i like to take off work and deal wit you and this dealership because i think its fun????? He said im sorry mam theres nuttin we can do at this point.... By this point i was furious...... So i left... I went home and contacted GM and told them my prob... He told me he will make a file on this and contact the dealer and see what we can do from there.... He calls me back and says take it to the dealer again and this time leave it there for a few days and see if they can find the problem... So we'll see.. i gotta take it there later today.... I see alot of people have had this same prob but nobody really said what was done to fix the problem permently... So if someone knows what was fix on the vehical to stop this plz post and let me know...... Maybe i can fill the mechanics in on something they apperently dont know...lol

Thanks,
    Samantha
  • brendavbrendav Member Posts: 11
    Hello, I recently read your message and are having the same problems with my 2006 torrent. Have you resolved the problem yet. I have had the ignition replace, the starter replaced, the ignition cleaned out, and some cable reconnected in the last six months. This has been going on for over a year. The car had 20,000 miles on it when this started happening. now its up to 47,000. Let me know what you came up with. Brenda
    Brenda, Be sure to go back and read all of the entries. I pursued this with my dealer and GM who started a file. Over several months they did make several adjustments, trying several different things, but they did end up extending my warranty to 100,000 miles (of course if GM does go under that will be valuable, lol). Part of the extended warranty is because I have purchased my last 4 cars at the same dealer. The important thing on your part is to document everything! Keep a notebook including when the hard starting happens. Urge your dealer to contact GM and see what the history is with this problem in other Torrents. There is at least my file and it looks like another person has a GM file. Basically my starting issues ended last March although it has happened 3 times since then. Last winter it was happening several times a week. Your dealer probably won't be impressed by what people post on this site but they would pay attention to GM. Everyone that is having problems needs to be sure it is documented back to Detroit. Good Luck
    Hi Brenda, Well as i stated in my last post ive been in contact with GM and they did make a file for me regarding this problem. I had my Torrent in for the 2nd time about a week and a half ago and this time i told them i DO NOT want this vehicle back until its fixed.... So after talking to the service manager i was given a rental. 2 days later they called me and said that they were unable to get the truck to have the starting problem but they did notice that the onboard computer was 2 steps behind in updates... so they updated it and since then(1week and a half) i havnt had the starting prob.... I truely think its to early to tell if this updating the computer thing has actually solved the prob. I did call GM back to keep them up to date with my truck problem... he said that as of now hopefully the updating the computer has did the trick and he will close my file... He said that from the day he closed it to 90 days after that i can reopen the file and continue with my case. I have a VERY big issue about buying a newer vehicle (2006) wit 32,000 miles and in less then a week having a problem with it... So trust me i WILL get this problem fixed (If not already) or i will demand GM giv me an extended warrenty or they buy back there BROKE vehicle! I also asked the guy from GM if this problem is NOT fixed and my manufactors warrenty ends what then???? I said since its a pre-exisiting problem will they still fix it for free and he said no!!!!!!!!! So i bought my Torrent as a certified vehicle so i have to 48,000 miles... So to make a long story short im not paying for anything to be fixed on that truck if its regarding the starting issue...So ill get it fixed one way or another!!!! I went from a 01 Grand Am with 90,000 miles of which i NEVER had a problem with, (but because it was gettin up there in miles i thought it would be in my best interest to get a new vehicle.) To a 2006 Torrent and have had more problems wit the Torrent in 1 week then i did wit the Grand Am in over 6 yrs. Whats funny about the whole situation is the dealer acts like of all the Torrents they have sold im the ONLY one with this problem.... And GM also acts like this is something new and they never heard of it...... What a bunch of bull! :mad:
  • aakidd0204aakidd0204 Member Posts: 2
    Well lets see the dealer has had my car again its going on its 2nd day and nothing yet! Mine started about 20,000 miles! these cars of a peice of junk! I have a extended warrenty or something but GM will not give me the paper work saying what its for! I'm so mad! They have replaced the starter, computer and some other things an nothing yet has worked! I'm so lost on what to do next! I think GM needs to buy back all these cars and give us our money back!!
    Thats what im sayin....... Tomorrow i gotta take it to the dealer for the fourth time for them to check the same problem.... Ive been in contact wit GM and its to the point where i am now demanding that the dealer either keep the truck until its fixed or like you said they need to buy this wack [non-permissible content removed] torrent back or trade me for something simuilar. Ive only had my Torrent a lil over a month and all this drama already.... I guess GM is sick of hearing from me cause the guy ive been dealing wit wont answer my calls nor return them. I so dont know what to do n e more... Im at my wits end wit this truck... And the longest the dealer has kept it is over night. I tell them they need to keep it longer and they tell me they cant. Well it happened again this past weekend which is usually when it does it... almost exactly once a week..... well now it seems to be doing it more...but i called the dealer and told them and they said bring it in that next day of which i did the last 3 times... I told them this time i will bring it in 5 or 6 days later cause thats when it seems to happen (which is this fri) so we'll see....... Man i had a 01 Grand Am and loved it.... Never had one prob wit it........ So i thought since that was a Pontiac and was a good car i should get another Pontiac... boy was i wrong... I think after this i will never buy another GM again.....
    Hello fellow torrent owner!!!

The dealership had my torrent for a total of 23 days. Over the past year . We have been round and round. Well here is where I am at. We have replaced the ignition, and rebuilt it over and over. Next they checked the injectors for fuel build up. Next the check engine light came on and we thought yay!!!!!!! but it was a loose wire. Next we replaced the starter. thought it was fixed. NOT!!!!!! All the while the service manager never able to duplicate the problem. They were just taking my word for it. Right after we replaced the starter it started acting up. While it was acting up I called the Service manager and put him on speaker phone. He heard the nine times it took to get it started. He thought it was a fuel problem. I took in for another 7 days and nothing. It didnt want to act up. I brought it back to the dealership again for three days. So he asked it one of the guys could take it home. I said ok. The next day they were driving it and finally!!!!!! it acted up. It left them stranded for 37 minutes before it would start. Heres something, It lost 40 pounds of fuel pressure when the starter kept dragging and hesitating to start. They immediately said Fuel Pump!!!!!. So another two days later they replaced the fuel pump. At this point I was hopeful. I picked the car up in the evening. Not even four starts later i am stranded for 30 minutes. I immediately called the dealer. The service managers response was Call Pontiac. I cant help you. I have done all I can. I called pontiac back. And as of today I am still driving a defective car and waiting for an engineer from pontiac to look at my car. The problem is that I cannot get a rental car until they diagnose a problem. I am losing days of work and pay. We as pontiac owners are getting the shaft. I spoke to a girl at pontiac and asked her what my chances are for them to get me out of this car. She said sometimes they give good customer vouchers to help with a down payment on another car. But she said specifically I wont get the money I paid into the defective car. She mumbled something about five hundred dollars. If I dont get anything resolved with the engineer. I am going to go for the lemon law. The dealership and I have records of how many times this car has been in for the same problem. I have four claims with pontiac regarding the same problem. Dont mention the Lemon law to pontiac becuause they will stop talking to you as soon as those words come out of your mouth. Your extended warranty is probably through a company called Superior. Do you have a 100.00 deductable every time you go in? My car now has 48000 miles. My starting problem started at about 20000 miles. I have been fighting this since one year after I bought the car brand new. For a total ownership of two years and five months. They should be recalled. I hope this helps you by telling you about the fuel pressure drop. I am expecting a call on Monday from pontiac to schedue yet another drop off at the dealership so an engineer can look at it. I asked Pontiac what the difference between an engineer and a service technician was. She said an engineer eats, and sleeps cars. What a load of crap. I am becoming a professional at the waiting game. As well as other Pontiac owners. I will let you know whats going on.

Brenda Valentine
    Brenda,
    That is very interesting. I am the one with the 100K warranty for my Torrent. It is through Pontiac not an off brand company. I have had a couple of issues of no starts this winter but it really has been good since last March. In any case I keep a notebook to document all issues. You really have to work with your dealer on this. I am sure you are frustrated since they have said they have done all they can. They need the support of the GM engineers. Although I was firm and both GM and the dealer knew I was angry, I gave the impression we could work together to solve this. The previous writer let their frustration work against themand that doesn't help. In any case it is important for GM to have files on these issues.
    Barb
    Well i took my truck in this fri and spoke to the service manager instead of just a service worker.... he was informed on all my calls and dealer visits.... He said ok lets park the truck outside and wait 15-20 as if you were going in a store and then we'll go out together and start it.... So my husband and i waited an waited and about 25 mins later the service manager caller our name and we went together to start it.... He handed the keys to me and said i should start it.... i said i am so sick of this truck not starting i dont want to deal wit it give the keys to my husband... so he did.... My husband jumps in the truck and turns the key..... and of course it starts..... So he trys it again....Still it starts....Meanwhile the service managers talking to me outside the vehicle and lookin at me like im crazy cuz the truck never does it for them..... So my husband trys it again.... and it did it.... it just cranked...... I was so happy.... After 4 visits to the dealer (of which is 40 mins, one way from our house) the service guy saw this happen..... But because we were talkin i dont think he fully heard it... I said did you hear that... he said faintly...I said is that normal... he started saying something about it bein an ele starter it sometimes it has to find its contack point or something so it my crank a bit..... So my husband turned the key again and of course it started.... He did it again and it started.... and on the 3rd try it did it again..... Just cranked... and this time a nice long one...... I said so your telling me this is normal.... he says oh i never heard of that..... He tells my husband let me try... So he gets in and trys and it starts, trys again and it starts and again.., of course it starts....then on the 4th try it just cranked again... and again a longer crank.... I said again you can not tell me this is normal..... So he said lets go in and i have to call GM assisants or something.... We say ok and we go back to the waiting room.... Meanwhile we're grining from ear to ear cuz the truck finally just cranked wit the key in the hands of the service manager..... we finally think we're gonna get somewhere...... About 15 mins later he comes over and says he couldnt get ahold of the GM assist guy so pretty much sorry.... Im like what.... he says sorry i cant keep your truck.... I was pissed.... I said 3 times this truck just cranked in front of you and theres nothing your going to do about it.... He says that yes it had long cranking at times but it did eventually start...... He said it has to actually NOT start for it to be a prob.....I said i should not have to try to start the truck 2 or 3 time before it finally starts... this is a 2006 vehicle not a 1974 it should start right away..... Im like so i gotta wait till im stranded on the side of the road somewhere wit my 7 yr old lil girl in freezin tempatures before you do something about this.....I started yellin and cursin and the service manager tells me to calm down and i said no i wont.... you dont want all these people here to know you sell junk cars..... He didnt say a word after that... He started saying something and i said let me talk to the owner of this dealership.... So we all went in his office and talked...... To make a long story short i am now told when i start the truck and it dont start on the second try im suppose to call the service manager and then they're gonna come to wherever i am and either hook it up to a portable diagnois machine or have it towed to there dealership.... I told them that is such a hassel for me when they can just keep it now and fix the prob while its there.... but they tell me they can not keep it cuz as it sits right now theres nuttin to fix.... I was soooooo pissed but my husband tells me to calm down.... So i said whatever.... whatever its gonna take for you people to fix my truck....I will miss work... yet again..... i will be late picking up my daughter from skool.... yet again...... just to satisify your wishes ok....So thats how we left the conversation cuz i walked out.... I truely think they're waiting for my manufactors warrenty to run out and say sorry now you gotta pay.... Well i bought it certified so i have till 48,000 miles and it now has like 33,000 but still they keep puttin off fixing it... The keep saying they cant fix something thats not broken..... But this time the prob actually happened in front of them and still i get nowhere...i love my truck but this is gettin really ridiculous.... Other then updating the onboard comp they havnt did a thing.... How do you fix a prob if you dont start somewhere.... I told them check the ignition... check the starter... check the wires... do something other then tellin me theres nuttin you can do.... So i dont know whats gonna happen from here......

Samantha
    Samantha, There is nothing I can tell you to help other than I am in the same boat. I am a dooer. I dont know if you read my last update or not. If it helps keep an open file at pontiac. Here is the number 800-462-8782. Get them involved with the dealership and you dont have to do it. They will take over at this point. My plan starting next week is to call pontiac every day and make an update. They have to update your file like it or not!!!!! Every day!!!!!!!!! Just say your problem is STILL UNRESOLVED. I am sending copies of all of these complaints on a weekly basis to pontiac not the dealership. I am updating these complaints with the new ones. I am gonna bug them to death. I dont know if it will help or not but it gives me a little hope. If you havent read my last blog read it and inform your dealership it is not any of these problems. As of now pontiac is sending an engineer out to the dealership to see if they can see something a TRAINED TECHNICIAN at the dealership cant. I am not giving up with this. I will get it resolved. When I do everyone is going to hear about my experiences with pontiac and my 06 Torrent. Hang in there. Write down conversations and get names. I think we are all gonna need this when we go for the Lemon Law.
    Brenda
  • stephanievstephaniev Member Posts: 2
    So, after a few months of having no problems.... coincidently following my last post~! lol... my 07 Torrent is back at it again. I was stranded in an empty mall parking lot @ 1am because the thing wouldn't start. I had to call for a tow... because the dealership wants it towed directly to them when the problem happens so they can attempt to solve it... however, i was so pissed and COLD by that point, I just had the guy jump start it. I know that if I had waited and gotten it towed, the car would have started by the time the mechanics looked at it... happens EVERY single time. No one can figure out what the heck is wrong, but keep telling me to be patient... right. I didn't spend money on a new vehicle to have it be unreliable. I even went as far as to telling the dealership to keep it until it was fixed, but they refused to do so. I've had this problem for 2 years, and I am just tired if it. As I am sure u all are too! :mad:
    Well... hopefully, it doesn't happen again soon!
    U know its quit a shame that we all have to wonder if our Torrent is even gonna start in the morning or after a shoppin spree or if we're gonna make it on time to pick up our kids from school ..... After all my cursing at the dealership i at least got them to refund me one of my monthly payments.... cuz i told them i wont even drive the thing cuz it very unreliable..which is true.... But to be 100% honest i would rather them keep the money there giving me for the monthly payment and just have them fix it... so i never hav to see them again. The stupid thing did it again this sat.... Outside of target.... It just cranked and cranked... I usually let the key go after a few seconds but im like 4get it..... Just hold that [non-permissible content removed] till it starts..... Maybe ill ruin something and they can finally look at something other then just updating the comp....
    Hello everyone. I am working on getting my starting issues resolved. you can read my other posts under Brenda. Anyway I have a cool websight for those of you who are frustrated and have no where else to turn. Its the NHTSA ( National Highway and traffic safety administration. You can file a complaint with them in detail about your car. They are able to force auto manufacturers to repair or replace the vehicle. I filed a complaint today. They are the Government!!! Go to their websight or call them at 888-327-4236 or www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov and do it online. Online is better you can print your complaint. This might be a long process and might not work but its worth a try! Lets all complain. Hope it all goes well. Brenda
  • jponczekjponczek Member Posts: 2
    Wow is all I can say. I guess I should have read this before purchasing. My wife and I purchased our 2006 Torrent on 2/21/09. This purchase was our 2nd at this dealer. In short, she got a 01 Eclipse in early 02 as a leftover. Some months later the car developed white spots on certain places around car. We tried alot to get them to go away. So in the end they repainted them at dealer and they ate the cost. So we were alittle skeptical to buy here but we did. So today I get the wake up call that she had the igintion problem as described. Turned key and it wanted to start but wouldn't. 3rd time it started. She called dealer and they said to bring it in when it's good for us to look at it. I even asked the "salesman" who said he had a 06 if he ever had problems and he replied "no" I guess he just wanted the sell. So today he tells the wife that his DID it also. Ours had 29,027 miles when we got it and it's not been a week yet and already this...We may have put 100 miles on it so far. I will keep you guys posted unless I end up in jail which at the same time will also be bad as Im a Police Officer. I hope they at the dealership don't think I won't make a scene. ;)
    Man I am so sorry for your purchase. All I can tell you is to read all of the blogs and dont do what everyone else has done. Its all a useless waste of money. The dealers keep replacing things that wont work. the first thing you need to do is file a claim with pontiac. Keep on them. Print out these forums and take them to the dealer if you have to. I have done that. File a complaint with the people I did last night. Make yourself known. Gotta go to work now. Please keep us all updated with your progress so maybe if you get lucky and get it fixed you can let us know and we can do the same thing. Visa versa with us.
    Sorry, Brenda
    Hi again. I found out through pontiac that my 06 torrent was manufactured at the Oklahoma city plant. I am curious to find out where everyone else's came from who is having the same problem. If its not to much of a bother contact Pontiac and find out where yours was made. It might be a tool in our search for resolution. I can almost gurantee they were made in the Oklahoma city plant. Post your answers please. I am going above and beyond the dealership and a file with pontiac. I might need this information for leverage.
    Thanks, Brenda
    The final assembly on my Torrent was Ontario, Canada. Interesting theory though. I like your file with the NSTB!
    Barb
  • jponczekjponczek Member Posts: 2
    Wife called yesterday and filed a claim. They gave us a file number and we told them we were going to take it in to be looked at. He stated he would call back next week to see what happens. For what it's worth it hasn't done it again yet. At this point after discussing it we would be happy to give it back to them. Ours was made in Canda as well. I'll report back when I have something new.
    I also have a file wit GM and as of now its useless..... Yeah its a good thing to get them involved but all they tell me is to take it to the dealer..... when i do the dealer says theres nothing wrong and GM goes on what the dealer says and they close my file till the next time i call....... even though the last time it was at the dealer it did the excessive cranking thing for the service manager.... He tells me hes never seen that but because it eventually started after 4 or 5 seconds theres nothing he can do.....He said when it dosnt start after 4 or 5 seconds the first try then i should call them and wait wherever i am for them to come and hook a dignois machine up to it... Which is a huge waste of time cuz odds are it will start right up when they get there....or they said get it towed to there garage...... I kinda gave up at this point..... But trust me if it leaves me stranded one more time it wont be pretty..... Oh fyi ive called ALL over talking to different GM dealerships and explained to them my prob they say the Torrent does have an electric starter that i shouldnt have to hold the key till it starts.... From what im told just turn the key and right away let it go...... It will start...Which it does.... Ive been doing that for about a week now and havnt had the cranking issue yet... And ive been doing ALOT of in and out of stores ..... So ill keep everyone posted......
  • mmckeemmckee Member Posts: 3
    I HAVE A 2006 TORRENT, I HAVE HAD SEVERAL PROBLEMS WHICH STARTED AROUND 26,000 MILES.I AM ON MY 3rd BATTERY, IGNITION- THIS IS THE 3rd TIME,FAN MOTOR, WIRING HARNESS 2nd TIME, I HAVE 56,000 MILES ON IT AND THE WARRANTY WENT OUT @ 36,000 ALL OF WHICH HAPPENED BEFORE THE WARRANTY WAS UP AND NOW AGAIN. IT SEEMS THAT EVERY 10,000 MILES I HAVE SOMETHING HAPPEN. THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT HAS BEEN ON PRETTY MUCH ALL THE TIME.. THERE HAVE BEEN A FEW MORE THINGS ALSO. I HAVE TALKED TO THE DEALER AND THEN TO GM NOW THEY WANT TO PUT A WIRING HARNESS FROM A WRECKED CAR ON MINE AND CHARGE ME 200.00 TO 300.00 TO DO IT.AT THE TIME I GOT MY CAR WE WERE SITTING PRETTY GOOD I GOT 0% INTEREST AND PRETTY DECENT PAYMENTS, THEN I HAD HEALTH AND PERSONAL PROBLEMS AND OUR CREDIT DID A NOSE DIVE, NOW I AM HAVING TO FILE BANKRUPTCY AND THE LAWYER RECOMENDS ME SURRENDERING MY CAR, THE PROBLEM IS THAT I LOVE IT BEING A SUV AND I WORK OUT OF IT, IT IS MY OFFICE, IF I TURN IT IN I WILL NOT GET ANYTHING THAT LOOKS DECENT FOR A WHILE. I WAS IN HOPES I COULD GET THE WARRANTY EXTENDED TO 100,000 OR THEY WOULD FIX THE THINGS WRONG FREE OF CHARGE THEN IF ANYTHING ELSE WENT OUT IT WOULD BE MY PROBLEM.. I WOULD NOT EXPECT ANY THING LIKE THAT IF IT HAD NOT BEEN NEW AND I HAD NOT HAD ALL THE PROBLEMS I HAVE HAD...I DONT KNOW WHERE ELSE TO TURN. I CHECKED THE ALABAMA LEMON LAW BUT IT STATED THAT YOU HAD 1 YEAR OR 12,000 MILES. MINE WAS FINE TILL 26,000 MILES BUT IT WAS ONLY ABOUT 6 MONTHS OLD. I PUT ALOT OF MILES ON BECAUSE OF THE TYPE OF WORK I DO. IF ANYONE HAS ANY SUGGESTIONS PLEASE REPLY. I HAVE 15 DAYS TILL I HAVE TO SURRENDER IT. :cry: :mad: :confuse: :sick:
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Gosh, that sounds dreadful.

The lawyer that you mentioned - is that YOUR lawyer or is it someone from the "bank?" If it's not yours, then I recommend talking to a lawyer who will be looking out for your interests. There are ways to avoid bankruptcy and you should exhaust all of those possibilities before throwing in the towel.

Good luck!

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper