Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic Safety Issues

amunityamunity Member Posts: 5
edited May 2014 in Honda
Hello,

I have an '02 Civic EX coupe which was in a crash and had it's airbags deployed. After seeing how much it would be to repair them I decided to just rip out the system. I have both airbags, the front driver and passenger, removed already.

I am wondering if there are any other parts I can remove that are SRS speficic.

Also, my SRS light stays on. I would like a method, besides repairing the SRS system, to shut it off.

Thank you in advance.

Comments

• Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Please stop and think about what you are doing. First, the airbags are important for protecting you and your front passenger in a crash. Even if you don't care about your personal safety, what if someday a friend or relative borrows your car, gets in a crash, and is severely injured or killed because there is no driver's airbag? How would you feel? How about if you are driving with a friend or loved one and are in a crash, and they are seriously injured or killed? Even if you have no remorse over those situations, what about the prospect of being sued (big time) by a survivor in one of those crashes (for gross negligence because you removed the SRS)? Then there is a little matter of legality; the kind of mod you are talking about is illegal. If you ever hope to sell the car, you'd need to replace the SRS (or risk killing someone who isn't aware the SRS is missing, or being sued by them if they aren't killed). And so on.

So think about it... is it really worth the $ savings?
  • Options
    kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    I agree w/backy, this is a HUGE legal and medical risk. If an accident ever happened whether you still owned the car or not, you'll be liable. Could easily change your financial situation for the rest of your life, and could even land you in jail. This could occur anytime, like 10 years from now.
  • Options
    amunityamunity Member Posts: 5
    Well I bought the car with the airbags already haveing been deployed. I don't have the money to put in new airbags and decided I would use the space that the air bags take up for mods.

I know the airbags save lifes, and about it being a legal issue if I sell the car, I dont see how. I bought it without airbags, there is paperwork you have to sign saying you are aware the system is defective.

Now, are there any parts I may be missing? Thank you for any help you give.
  • Options
    lovemygrandamlovemygrandam Member Posts: 330
    There is no logical excuse for not replacing air bags after they have been deployed in a crash. Your insurance should cover all the cost. (unless you feld the scene) The air bags should have been included in the estimate for repair. I assume that if the air bags deployed, there was other damage as well? Did they repair only the body damage, and not replace the air bags?
This discussion has been closed.