Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Suzuki SX4 Oil and Fluids

gemini6toadgemini6toad Member Posts: 5
edited September 2014 in Suzuki
Jiffy Lube, Valvoline, and other such garages don't seem to have the abilty to change the oil on my new SX4. It's not in their computers. I've called some local garages and they can't do it either. Does anyone know of any service shop in Worcester, MA that can change my oil? The dealer is quite a drive which I'd like to avoid.

Thanks,
Gordon

Comments

• gunmetalkatgunmetalkat Member Posts: 7
    Hi, I'm a female who does her own oil changes, the SX4 is really easy, don't read the owner's manual, it'll only scare you. I had my boyfriend put a oil filter strap on the factory oil factory and loosen it up, then I removed it, drained the oil from the drain plug area; I looked up under www.fram.com and under Advance Discount Parts to see which brands of oil filter numbers were available. I purchased a STP oil filter and changed my own oil. The STP oil filter is a tad shorter and easier to reach with a cup-type oil filter wrench so next week, I'll have 3k on my SX4 and will be changing it again. (I changed it at 500 mi the 1st time). The owners manual says you can run 5w30 or 10w30; I'm running 10w30 because I'm in FL, and I'm still getting 26.1 mpg average. Take your time, do it yourself and save; its easy.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I wonder why Suzuki specifies such a short mileage interval for oil changes? I go at least 7,500 miles on my minivan between changes, per the manual for normal service. Seems like a big waste of time and oil.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    why, you've brought up a subject that demands a good answer. Both of my Kia vehicle manuals said 7,500 miles between L-O-F changes, but I followed the old "get it done at 3,000 miles, you and your car will be better off for it."

On my 2008 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS we just went at about the 3,400 mile mark to get our first L-O-F. We bought a prepaid 3 year maintenance program and the provider issues coupons for the work each step of the way, you don't forget maintenance that way, etc.

Well, what I thought the Mitsu dealer I went to(not the one I bought the Lancer from)might balk because my coupon had 5,000 miles printed on it. The Lancer GTS manual says 7,500 for "normal driving conditions" and 3,000 for "severe" driving schedules. I told the service writer that I wanted it done now due to Arizona's driving sandstorms and also the fact that my "commute" is only about a half-mile!

They did the L-O-F with no questions asked. :D

But your question on the 2007 Suzuki SX4 oil changes demands more input from SX4 owners. Does Suzuki suggest 3,000 miles between oil changes for your SX-4's? I was getting close to buying a SX-4 but went with the Lancer instead, hence the interest in this thread.

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

• erics6erics6 Member Posts: 684
    Pretty sure factory recommendation is 7500. Stealership service is always 3k. I usually go about 4k. Most newer cars are fine with oil changes around 4-4.5k for mostly city and some highway. I'd do the 7.5k if I only did highway.

With my old Miata I change the oil every 6 months which is usually under 3k. My beater truck gets an oil change once a year.
    Maybe the Edmunds Maintenance Guide is wrong, but it says the interval is every 3,750 miles, and that would be for normal service. (link)

Do you have a manual you can quote from? Anyone? Maybe we got the severe service plugged in instead of normal service.

This is an issue for some of us who do look at ownership costs when we shop cars.
    Quote from the "New Passenger Vehicle Maintenance Information Guide" 2007 Suzuki SX4 Book:
    Page 5
    Normal Driving Conditions:
    You should have maintenance performed on your SUZUKI every 7,500 miles or 7.5 months, whichever comes first, if you operate your vehicle under normal driving conditions. The scheduled maintenance log identifies maintenance procedures required at each mileage interval and corresponding time interval that is based on mileage of 1,000 miles per month. If you drive more than 1,000 miles permonth, you should have maintenance performed at the indicated mileage interval rather than the indicated time interval.

Severe Driving Conditions:
    In addition to standard maintenance items, the sever driving conditions maintenance log provides additional maintenance to be performed under especially harsh driving condtiions. Check the sever driving conditions guide to determine whether your vehicle requires this extra maintenance.

page 76
    Maintenance Recommended Under Severe Driving Conditions:
    Every 3,000 miles or 3 months
    -Replace engine oil & filter
    -Inspect air cleaner filter elements

Ok guys, hope that answers everyone's questions & curiousity! I've had my car 2 months & have 2,800 miles on it; so I change my oil every 3,000 miles. Plus every vehicle I've ever owned gets a 500 mi oil change then a 3,000 mile oil and then every 3k after that; I've never had an oil seal failure, oil leak, engine sludge, zero internal engine problems. The oil is the blood, the life of the engine, change it often & live forever! And you can quote me on that.
    Terri, Riverview FL :)
    Thanks very much for checking on that. I'll send in a note to the help desk about the guide and put Suzuki back on my "ok" list since I go by the manufacturer's recommendations for fluid changes. I'm a bit dubious about getting some Toyotas at the moment since they lowered the interval from 7,500 to 5,000 miles.
    The Chev dealership told my mom on her new 06 Malibu she wouldn't have to change the oil until the "oil life" indicator said 5%; I told the dealer that it was going to be changed on my schedule and she'll never have any problems. So far she's driven it 10k in 1.6 years, but the oil changes have been sooner than later. Also Suzuki SX4 recommends either 5W30 or 10W30 depending on climate; since I'm in FL and drive rather hard & alot, I'm using the 10W30. My mom's Malibu strictly states only 5W30 and that's what is being used. Thank you! :)
    If you're that concerned about the quality of your oil, you should be spending the $20 on an oil analysis. I think you are probably wasting oil and time. There's a lot more on the oil wars in the Engine Oil - A slippery subject Part 2.
  • iluvmysephia1iluvmysephia1 Member Posts: 7,704
    I have noticed here on Edmunds from forums past that oil changing is a highly personal thing...sort of like the subjectivity of liking a particular car's body style or not.

I was taught as a teen when Dad was showing me how to change oil and other basic maintenance duties on my first car, a '65 Ford Mustang, that oil changes should come every 3,000 miles. That needs to include changing the oil filter and lubing the chassis. So I did all of that every 3,000 miles.

I have taken note, however, of my two Kia's service manuals stating that every 7,500 miles is sufficient for oil changes. I did check with service managers at the Kia dealer and, yes, that is the said time to change oil for a Kia.

Now with my '08 Mitsubishi Lancer GTS it says every 7,500 miles. As I stated, my prepaid service plan gives me pre-printed coupons for changes every 5,000 miles. I may go to 9,000 or 10,000 before getting my next one. If it takes too many months to get to that mileage(more than 4)I'll have it done earlier. Remember them saying every 3 months or 3,000 miles change your car's oil? I have noticed my servicing Mitsubishi dealer doesn't sweat the small stuff so they will flex a tad on it as I want, which is nice.

It does seem to be a very personal thing for people. Not changing oil is a huge mistake, obviously. Or spacing it out too long. Changing oil short of 3,000 miles or 3 months seems to be overdoing it, yes?

2021 Kia Soul LX 6-speed stick

Oil changes are a hobby activity for some people too. It's relatively easy and gives you a feeling of accomplishment, and at $20 a pop, it's a lot cheaper than lots of other hobbies.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    GM Envoy ('04). Last oil change the oil life monitor was at 47% IIRC. I think that was around 6000 miles since the previous change. So, the 'recommended' interval would be like 10-12K miles....a little much for me. With this engine (I6) holding 7 quarts instead of the normal 5-5.5 I don't feel as bad about going a little longer.
  • suzukitechsuzukitech Member Posts: 1
    I'm a Suzuki Tech in Halifax NS the factory recomended milage is every 5000 KMS and that works out to about 3000 miles. Oh and my wife and I own one aswell it's an 07 SX4 JLX Blue in colour with 5 speed. Love it great little car.
    Thank you! It's so nice to know a tech sided w/me on this one. Since I'm driving 1500 miles per month, which I consider 'severe', then me changing the oil every 3k miles is perfect. I've never sludged a motor & don't intend too. I use to work as a dispatcher in the dealership and have seen too many ruined motors due to lack of oil changes/maintenance. Like I said earlier, the oil is the blood the life of the car. Again, thank you! :)
  • squirteesquirtee Member Posts: 15
    Just bought an '08 SX4 automatic and already love the little thing! Since I am alittle older and married into a "mechanic's" family many years ago, I became a firm believer of frequent oil changes. This is actually my first REAL new car, and I am obsessed over keeping a good maintenance record on it, so do you believe in changing the oil at the first 1000 miles? (which is coming up soon) I only drive a couple miles to work every day, so I guess that would be considered severe conditions?? And is going to the dealership (for an oil change) really better with a new car?? (we have more than a few bad experiences with the quick oil change establishments!) Thanks! :)
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    I would read what your owners manual says about oil changes. The reason i say this is Honda actaully warns about NOT changing the oil too soon when doing your first oil change. Honda doesnt mention Why, they just state to go the full distance before changing the oil...
  • blufz1blufz1 Member Posts: 2,045
    It's wise to let the dealer do the oil changes, particulary during the warranty period, for documentation purposes.
    Honda uses a special break in oil and they want it broken in with that oil. I read that most oil filters do their best "filtering" after about 4k. I use Mobil 1 synthetic to avoid sludge problems.
    What is the general opinion on using synthetic oil in these new little cars??? I never used it in any of my vehicles, but would like to try with this one.
    Check out the posts on the 2 major oil threads for full info. Synthetic flows faster/lubricates faster when it's cold and has much less tendency to form sludge vs. dino oil.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye Member Posts: 473
    If you are going to use synth oil, you would be wasting your money if you change it at now intervals. But since you are under warranty you will want to change it at normal oil change intervals. The advantages of synth is not only better cold temp flowing, but its the longer life you get. In my 04 chevy tracker Zr-2 i do a once a yr oil change using amsoil 0w30 full synth oil. I also have had my oil tested by blackstone labs to prove what im doing is safe. And it was. I also use synth in my motorcycle. (my motorcycle has a 2 litre engine!! lol) In my bike im currently going every 6000 miles. I use oil analysis to findout When to change the oil. most people who use synth oil change it out way too soon...... The cleaners and additives in synth oil are way more robust than regular dino oils.. If there was ever a time to use synth now would be it. (colder temps) also do NOT fall for the many myths about synth.. 1) is once you go synth you cant go back.. mobil1 and amsoil both put on their websites that this is a myth... i know people that go synth in the winter and dino in the summer. Me i just go synth all year, once a year and be done with it.
    most people who use synth oil change it out way too soon

Most people who use dead dino oil change it out way too soon too. :shades:

Nice to see someone actually using an oil analysis.
    Thanks for all the info-- I will take it to the dealership to have it done after the holidays are over.( Since its been getting down into the high 20's here at night)
    I have to admit I wouldn't even know where/how to start doing an oil analysis!!! Sounds pretty interesting though.. One last question, how much more does it cost for a synth oil change ?? (My husband has done 95% of all our vehicles himself) So I'm sure the price might stun me alittle at first. Thanks again for the info/patience! ;)
    You can get a 5 quart jug of Mobil 1 at Walmart for about $20-23.
  • debricdebric Member Posts: 13
    I run Amsoil 0W30 Signature series in the engine, ATF in the auto tranny Severe gear in the diffs and transfer case and ATF in the power steering also all synthetic oils and she runs great........... :blush:
  • eviechefleviechefl Member Posts: 2
    I just wanna know how many miles I have left after my low fuel light comes on. The owners manual doesn't say it just tells me to fill up immediately, but you still have another line before you get to the empty....
  • eviechefleviechefl Member Posts: 2
    The dealership told me not to change my oil till 5000 miles. This is a 2009. That seems a little odd to me...
  • kennybeeakkennybeeak Member Posts: 21
    I have the Touring package which has an electronic mileage display, including miles left on gas remaining in the tank. My low fuel light comes on when there are at least 20 miles left. More than that, but I don't recall how much more. I'll post it in a few days when I get back down to that point.
  • kennybeeakkennybeeak Member Posts: 21
    As stated in my previous message, I have the Touring package which includes an electronic display of the miles left with the gasoline remaining in the tank. The last time I filled up, the low fuel light came on with 25 miles left; the time before that, with 20 miles left. Hope this answers your question.
  • nace818nace818 Member Posts: 140
    Mine is about the same, 25 sometimes, 30 at other times. I did notice yesterday however that if you leave it on that display and keep driving the mileage does not count down unless you get out of it and then go back to it. I forgot to get gas at my usual exit and the next exit was 25 miles away. I kept it on because it was going to be close and I was sweating it. I made it but I think there must still be a reserve after that 25 miles because I think I went further.
  • stinson108stinson108 Member Posts: 4
    The manual for my 2009 SX-4 Crossover AWD, manual shift, says that the range remaining readout on the fuel calculator display is range until the GAGE reads empty, NOT until the TANK is empty. The tank still has fuel in it when the gage reads empty, so that range remaing readout is really sort of worthless.

On my car, at least, topping off the tank when the gage reads exactly empty says I still have about a gallon (or maybe a little bit more) left in the tank, based on the published fuel capacity. I usually get in the high twenties or low thirties of miles per gallon, so I figure I have a safe 25 miles when the needle touches the empty mark on the gage. I might even have 35 or 40 miles, but why press it?

Since the low fuel light seems to come on when the range remaining readout (to empty on the gage, remember) says about 20 to 30, and since I figure you have about 25 or miles left when the needle touches the empty mark, I guess the answer for the person who asked how far they can go after the fuel light comes on should figure a safe 40 miles, maybe a little more, but again, why press it?
  • joeyrabjoeyrab Member Posts: 65
    Not for nothing but doing an "oil analysis" is overkill. Just change it 3-4,000....you'll be fine trust me....
    I used valvoline 5w30 in winter and 10w 30 in summer in my 87 dodge shadow 2.2....had a valve cover gasket replaced at 75,000.my mechanic showed me the motor with the valve cover of...couldnt see a whole lot, but he was amazed at how "shiny" and minimal wear on the motor....he said to just keep doing what I was doing....I kept that engine alive well over 100,000 thousand....gave it to my brother at 140,000. the car was junk, the engine was good...
    Changing your oil every 3,000 miles is just overkill too.

I follow the recommendations in my owner's manual (although I do stretch it out sometimes). Currently that's 5,000 and 7,500 miles.

My van is on the 7,500 mile interval and it's over 150,000 miles now. The engine probably nice and shiny on the inside too. :)

Both my cars are over a decade old and will more likely die from running into a snowy ditch or hitting a deer than having the engine sludge up or throw a rod.

Stop Changing Your Oil
  • joeyrabjoeyrab Member Posts: 65
    I agree with you on all counts!
  • frojoe47frojoe47 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2008 Sx4. I have the same package that tells u how many miles are left in the tank. That is set as a precautionary measure of course so that people don't run out of gas. When my gas light comes on the touring gauge will say I have approximately 20 or so miles left in the tank. However, I have let it run to 0 miles numerous times and have pushed my tank to the limit. I would say that once that occurs there should be at least 1.5 gallons left. Giving you anywhere from 20-50 more miles depending on where and how you are driving. I have gotten at least 45 more miles in my SX4 after both gauges said empty/zero.
This discussion has been closed.