Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Solara Convertible Demise

dturrdturr Member Posts: 70
Is the demise of the Solara around the corner, two local SW Florida Dealers have almost no stock of SLE's and are evasive about when more due in. These convertibles must be the bread and butter for Florida anyone any ideas.

Comments

• karen24karen24 Member Posts: 2
    When/if you get a response, can you please let me know. I live in Oregon and the dealerships here are also being evasive. I called the Toyota Headquarters Customer Service area and was told just this morning (6-27-07) that the Customer Service reps were not being given that information and they have been asked the same question several times. Anyway, I also am interested in what anyone else finds out.
  • dturrdturr Member Posts: 70
    Come on Edmunds I thought you may be in the know. Whats going on at Toyota??
  • gulfridergulfrider Member Posts: 6
    See my post re: the '08s are on the way. They'll start showing up mid to late July at dealers.
  • passatownerpassatowner Member Posts: 16
    The convertibles and coupes are all on the Toyota.com website (SE, Sport and SLE).
  • luvumeluvume Member Posts: 4
    does anyone know how to reset the maintenance warning light? i just had my oil changed and the shop didn't do it for me
  • karen24karen24 Member Posts: 2
    I took my car into the Toyota shop and they said to press the button and hold it down for at least three (3) to five (5) seconds. I believe the car also needed to be turned on while holding down the button.
  • njexpressnjexpress Member Posts: 170
    Folks,
    Does anyone know if there is going to be an 09? I am looking to find out if it is worth waiting till next year to see a possible hard top version of the Solara or even if it will continue to exist beyond 2008?
    Any input will be appreciated!
    Cheers!!
    --njexpress
  • meegwellmeegwell Member Posts: 67
    If you don't get a definitive answer on this forum why not put your thoughts before Toyota?

Who knows, maybe they even monitor forums like this to see where their devotees heads are at.

Meegwell
    Thanks, meegwell - Yes, it's a thought. But there have been too many teasers on other possible models (there may or may not be a supra, there will be a hybrid 2+2, etc...) to believe that Solara will be either revamped or continued beyond 2008...
    Cheers!!
    --njexpress
  • blkbobblkbob Member Posts: 36
    There is no "official" word from Toyota that the Solara is being discontinued, however being that insiders (plant workers) have noted the plant will no longer be making them VERY soon is a safe bet it will be. So I would probably forget about future thoughts on a 2010 let alone a 2009. This is the same behavior Toyota exhibited with the Celica discontinuation. An unofficial Toyota spokesperson was quoted as saying a new crossover vehicle will replace the Solara (how a crossover is labeled as a replacement for a coupe is beyond me). The rest is just plain rumor or wishful thinking, there isn't a shred of evidence Toyota is bringing the Supra back soon or Toyota is going to just surprise everybody with a redesign in 2009.
    Thanks for the info, blkbob. Yes, sounds like this is it for the Solara. I am having second thoughts getting one, considering I will also have to sacrifice my S2000 to get a Solara.
    Thanks again.
    Cheers!!
    --njexpress
  • congaboycongaboy Member Posts: 3
    I heard yesterday that there will not be a 2009 Solara. I was told that the Celica is being brought back. I suspect that the water leaks and rattles that are apparently very common in the convertibles do not meet Toyota's standard for quality and as such they are discontinuing this model.
  • blkbobblkbob Member Posts: 36
    My best guess for discontinuing the Solara is two fold--1) two doors vehicles just don't appeal to families who want a single car and 2) any update to the Solara would probably be cannibalizing into Scion and Lexus markets. That being said, I don't see any two door Supras, Celicas, MR2s, etc. being reborn on the Toyota badge, maybe Scion but not Toyota. And no way are any of those rebirths happening by 2009, everything for that near future will be just a re-update of current models. Even hybrid Hummers, Tahoes, etc. being sold this December took 2 years to hit the production floor from the drawing board just for an engine change (way too fast for GM to be shelling out a new technology they barely researched--my advice: wait for their third model year ;) .)
  • dturrdturr Member Posts: 70
    In the end I purchased a new 07 Solara SLE for $29k. The vehicle has done almost 4000 faultless miles. It has been out in Florida thunderstorms and not a drop of water inside. My wife gets 29mpg and we are both happy with the car, it seats four in reasonable comfort gets our luggage in the trunk and does everything we require. If anything Toyota should supply mats with holes that fit the stud holes and caps for the screw holes to cover the trim on the cills. 9/10 from me.
  • thestevo44thestevo44 Member Posts: 6
    I change my own oil on my 2004 Toyota Solara Convertible. To reset the light, with the engine off and key in off position, and with odometer in the "odometer setting" (NOT trip A or trip B), press and hold the reset putton. Hold the button in, and turn the key to on, without starting the car. You should see a series of dashes which will slowly disppear then possibly read all zeros. Once they show zeros, release the button. Your maintenance light show remain off until next time she needs fresh oil.
  • thestevo44thestevo44 Member Posts: 6
    On a different note than my last post, we have had our Solara for about a year. We found one used, a 2004 SLE in practically mint condition, albiet high mileage for the year (it had 48,000 when purchased at an age of almost 3 if you consider 2008s are almost out). We paid just under $19K for it. We have put 24,000 miles on the car in one year. I drive it to Tucson 3 to 4 times per month and we have taken it on numerous drives to Northern Arizona and Southern California. I change the oil religiously and use only Castrol. Side Note: Toyota engines do NOT do well without Anti-sludge oil. Castrol is an anti-sludge oil, and I recommend NO other oil. Just my opinion. I rotate the tires myself, have flushed and filled the Transmission myself according to the Haynes manual, and take care of the engine. I recently changed the brake pads because the original pads developed a squeal. The brake pads were beyond easy to change. Very nice design when it comes to switching pads on the four wheel discs on this car. The top did "drip" once.... when it really really poured on us. Just a little bit, right in the first bend joint, about a foot or so behind the windsheild. I can live with that. The trunk is huge, as convertibles go. And the high trunk lid really allows you to stack stuff up high. If Toyota stops production on this, that is fine. I am just happy I got one. It is my second Solara. My first was a 2000, hard top, with the four cylinder engine and manual tranny. Not fast, but comfortable and fun to drive. I love this car. After I wash it, I sit and look at it. Then look some more.
  • lizabetlizabet Member Posts: 2
  • lizabetlizabet Member Posts: 2
    My 2006 convertible is leased, so I will have to turn it in in May 2009. Except for the black exterior ( a horrid paint job), I would buy it. It is a wonderful car in all aspects. So I'm concerned about how I'm going to replace it. There's no other convertible on the market that is as beautiful, as reliable or as affordable. (Last week I saw a beautiful convertible drive by as I was exiting my driveway. I followed it, thinking "now that's an elegant car". When I caught up to it, I learned it was an Aston Martin. The price checked out to be between $200-265,000. Well....)
    Anyone hear anything? The folks at the dealership don't know or are not talking.
  • silorlandosilorlando Member Posts: 6
    I heard that it is being discontinued for 2009. Get a 2008. My 2006 is super!
    Not going to be any 2009's. They ARE discontinuing it. I am on my second one and am very disappointed. Don't know if there will be any other convertibles oferred by Toyota but I heard rumours that the Celica is coming back. That's a much smaller car though.
  • gregdanegregdane Member Posts: 3
    We just purchased a 2008 SLE and love it- BUT, no matter how careful I am I can't seem to keep from chipping the edge of the driver's side door whenever I touch something with it- I took it to the dealer we purchased it from and they were little help other than to rub some type of polish along the edge that seemed to take most of the scarring away- So, I asked about a plastic door edge protector and was told Toyota doesn't make one- anyone have any other ideas?
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    I just found out that unless I bought the maintainence package from my dealer there is no roadside assistance available from Toyota for my 2008 Solara Convertible (and I guess any other of Toyota's models either!!). That info blew me away as every new car I have owned in the past 10 years always came with a roadside assistance program.I can't remember when I have used it on any other of my cars but it was nice knowing that I could if I had a problem.
  • moms_maxmoms_max Member Posts: 62
    That's great news! Hopefully, any existing 'issues' won't get swept under the rug under the assumption that the car has faded away - and mechanics will try to fix things, since the model will be around for awhile longer.
  • solaraman2003solaraman2003 Member Posts: 92
    Is Toyota going to continue the Solara Convertible in 2009, and leave the Coupe in the dust ?

I stumbled on some articles today that stated that Toyota was going to continue with the Solara Convertible for 2 more years, but discontinue the Coupe.

I have lost many hour of sleep over this, since I LOVE my Solara and am ready to buy new one. I almost bought the 2008 last year, but held off because I was hoping the 2009 model year would bring us a hardtop-convertible. I guess not.

One of the articles that discussed this was in the Boston Herald dated August 12.
    I've got 110,000 trouble-free, happy miles on my 2003 SLE V6. I've done nothing but regular maintenance on the car - oil/tranny fluid changes, fuel/air/fuel filters, pcv, hoses, timing belt, tires, plugs. Really all just basic stuff and I did most of it myself.

The most expensive maintenance item was probably when I did the timing belt and water pump.

I've gotten so much pleasure out of this vehicle, I am very hard pressed to replace it with anything else.

I'm thinking about the BMW 3 series. I'm thinking about the Honda Accord coupe. I'm thinking about the Lexus SC. I'm thinking about the Audi 6. I'm thinking about the Pontiac G6. I'm thinking about all of those vehicles, buy yet I keep coming back to the Solara. I find some reason to rule out any of those others.

And now that I'm hearing whispers of the Solara possibly NOT being discontinued, or a 2010 coupe coming back, I get cold feet and think that perhaps I should wait it out. I'd hate to spend the bucks and get accustomed to another vehicle now, and then find out 11 months from now that Toyota came back with the Solara coupe. Especially if it was a hardtop-convertible !
  • gened1gened1 Member Posts: 256
    Your thinking too much.
    The Solara - your Solara- has brought you much satisfaction and joy. What more can you ask of a vehicle. Read the reviews of all the new hardtop convertibles and you will really appreciate the quietness the efficiency and the availability of a trunk, in a priced right vehicle, that the hardtops don't have. They won't ride better, may out perform the Solara but really how much more power do you need . I'm constantly being surprised by the power of the 3.3 in my 08 SLE convertible.
  • deant1deant1 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone heard anything else on the 2009 Convertible?
    There won't be one! Grab a 2008 if you want a new one
    Just received the following message directly from Toyota:

Thank you for contacting Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond to your inquiry.

We are happy to announced that production of the Camry Solara convertible will continue for the 2009 model year. Unfortunately, we do not have information available on the 2010 model year. At this time, we do not have a date as to when the 2009 Solara Convertibles will be available on dealer lots. We invite you to visit http://www.Toyota.com/Solara for information and updates as it becomes available.

Your email has been documented at our National Headquarters under file #200812090252. If we can be of further assistance, please feel free contact us. to http://www.toyota.com/help/contactus.html

LaKeisha Square
    Toyota Customer Experience
  • jaffeejaffee Member Posts: 10
    I just looked at a 2009 brochure of Toyota vehicles and the Solara was one of the cars in there. I also thought it was going to be discontinued.
    Probably. But they are only making convertibles :(
    Has anyone heard when the '09 Solara will be hitting the sales floor? Want to replace our current car with a Solara Convertible,

Thanks.
    Just adding more data to the data base:

I have a Solara 2006 convertible. The stitching began to wear out just as I reached 36,000 miles. The service dept. authorized the restitching at n/c. The top shop owner noticed the puckering across one of the seams and told me I have about one more year with this top before I'll have to replace it.

Details:
    I have the tan top. I do not garage or cover the car. I live in Southern California which experiences what some experts refer to as desert conditions, i.e. wide swings of extreme hot and cold within short periods of time.
  • nowlennowlen Member Posts: 35
    Go to TRDparts4u.com and drill down to your model/year and find the edge guards in your color. (or just go here: http://trdparts4u.com/MC-DCHJ-FIE.aspx ) They're not cheap at ~ $50 for a pair, but they are quality and they're metal. I purchased and installed them and they fit the contours perfectly. One thing you need to do is trim any excess sealer from inside the door itself (where the skin wraps around) and repaint the trimmed area so be sure you have the appropriate touch-up paint color which you can order there also. Be careful so you don't cut into the metal when trimming. They seem less susceptible to chipping, but at least they protect the door.
    And, since I barely know what a flat tire is, I'm guessing I could get a local auto body shop to install them- thanks! I had searched for these and never could find them-
  • hoosier500hoosier500 Member Posts: 1
    I've got an '08 convertible. The solution is quite simple--and inexpensive. I went to my local auto parts store and bought two protective door edge strips (I got black, but they also had silver) that are flexible, have an adhesive inner edge, and can be cut to the desire length. Been on for the past two years with no problems. Cost? Less than $5.
    Last month I spoke with the dealer that sold us our `06 convertible.
    Toyota still has no plans for a Solara or Solara type convertible in the near future.
    :(
    The Lexuus ISC is very similar.
    http://www.lexus.com/models/ISC/