Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln Navigator Power Running Boards

2»

Comments

• brutillbrutill Member Posts: 1
    edited July 2012
    We too have an '06 Navigator with the rear driver's side running board bracket having broken and the passenger side about to go also. As with all other posts, our dealership basically said tough luck. The $4,400+ price tag to replace both at a dealership seems universal. We don't have an extended warranty (although it doesn't sound from other posts that it would matter anyway) and certainly can't afford the cost of repairs. Our vehicle only has 35K miles on it and I now feel like it's an expensive piece of junk. I agree with others that it's a design flaw and Lincoln should do something about it, but I'm sure that will happen when pigs fly. As I told the dealer, if we're ever in the market for a luxury vehicle again, we won't even go near a Lincoln dealership.
  • naomilynnenaomilynne Member Posts: 5
    The service manager at Sam Galloway Ford is very concerned but has never heard of this being an issue. I have taken to posting on Ford and Lincoln Facebook and Craigslist' we are not the only people who have had this problem I am sure. I wish your daughter luck with recovery my dog has a floating knee cap and fracture in ankle and thigh. His leg will never be 100%.Please let me know if you get anywhere with Ford and I will do the same.
    My running board on passenger side is now closing every time door opens. This started yesterday and we took to dealer righ away. When service rep opened and closed door several times it started closing almost as soon as door opened. We have left it there he is getting manager to look at and I am calling Lincoln corperate again to let them know it is in for service and doing this everytime door opens. I will let you know what happerns. I hope your daughter is doing better.
    Sam Galloway Ford has ordered a new motor assembly for my 06 navigator. They are saying this is the problem and drivers side motor is good. Good for how long. I am scared to get into my own vehicle!!! Hope you check this post and get yours fixed prior to warranty expiring, they are covering mine under extended warranty.
  • bellbbellb Member Posts: 1
    I also have a 2006 navigator which I always kept the running boards in the "in position" never using them for the last 5 years. Yesterday a women stepped on the drivers side running board getting into the back seat and the bracket broke completely in half! Wow, must be a defect for that to happen especially if it's happening to more then just me.
  • snickarnsnickarn Member Posts: 1
    I have a Lincoln nav 2008year model, the running board on the passenger side is not functioning properly. At first it was slow, had to help it start moving, as if it was to heavy or running parts giving to much friction. I cleaned it and oiled it, this worked for a while. No it looks in out or in position. Seems like it "lives its own life", I wonder if the step is hollow inside so water can gather there and thereby making it heavier. My repair in Stockholm have "computer checked" it and it seems like the overload security stops the motor from working.
    Vincent
  • ase801ase801 Member Posts: 1
    2006 Navigator 150k miles.

I too have had this issues with my Running boards. At first it was slow, and it sometimes open when door are open or not. I was driving to my local Super market, and once i got out I noticed my runnig board was dangling from the rear hinges. Once done shopping I took it home and crawled under to see what exactly was wrong. Upon further inspection, I noticed my Aluminum brackets that pivots the Running board was detiorated into a "salt and pepper" like condition. It flaked off with a touch of the fingers, and could be pick out with a pencil. Ive recently heard that 2004 - 2008 Ford brand cars/Trucks/SUV are known to have these issues with other alumium parts detiorating. Under investigation, I found that the Aluminum detiorates due to metal "unsimilarity" contacting and mounting on each other. It causes a chemical/atomic reactions that possibly causes fatigue in our running boards.

Called the stealerships for an estimate, and pricing. I got a starting price of $700 parts and labor for one hinge, and one week to order and install. Called Ford/Lincoln Customer care services, and asked if this was covered under warranty, and they stated that it did not, and they have never recorded or heard of this situation before. Who knew they would deny hearing such a problem?

So with the choice of forking out $1400 for one side of my running board or just tear it out. Ive decided to fix it myself. It ended up costing me $10 to fix. I did this with running boards still dangling underneath the Lincoln.
    1. Cleaned out the mounting area with wire brush, and air hose. Cleaned up the detiorated bracket.
    2. JB/Epoxy any exposed aluminum area that would be touching the steel mounting frame. Sprayed it with a coat of rubber sealant paint.
    3. I Bought a 2 5/16"( I think it was that size) U-bolt anout 5" inches long at my local Lowes/HomeD. Ran the U-bolt into the existing holes where the original mounting brackets was bolted. Put a fender washer and Nylock on the threads. Sinch it up. Did about 20 ope/closed door tests. Jumped/bounce on the running board with my 200 Lbs weight.

Sorry for the vague descriptions, but if you crawl under neath, look at the pivot hinges, and just think about it. Its an easy fix.

As for detiorated dis-similar metals. I had an issue with my Lincoln shutting off. I was making a left hand turn with on coming traffic. Luckily i coasted out of the way before I got T-boned. But anyways, found out it was the Fuel pump driver module sending unit (FPDM for short). Took it out, and it deterioated like salt and peppers shaking out. It had a couple holes that moistures would get into them module. The module would fault and possibly ruinning your sending unit, or fuel pump, or blow your #12 fuse (located inside the front passanger kick panel). Search for Dorman 590001 590-001, and read on it, and it will also make sense on why some of your cars/truck/SUV gas hesitiations might be resolved.

I believe the FPDM issues should be recalled, because it causes safety issues when your Lincoln/Ford just shut off for no appearant reasone. Luckily my family and I didnt get hurt because of this.
  • v1rxv1rx Member Posts: 1
    2006 nav 98000 miles I am having a very similar problem ,and experience. My wife stepped on the board coming out of the vehicle it gave way and she when down ,luckily she did not get seriously hurt . the rear board was sticking out ,but instead of the support bracket ,it is the female bracket that the extending arm goes into. I tried to get the part from ford and you must purchase the entire running board and mechanism at a hefty cost of 2300.00 so i tried getting part from salvage yards and they are all telling me that they cant keep that part in because it flies out as soon as they get a navigator comes in . so it seems that this is major defect in this vehicle and a potentially dangerous one. I really just want to repair it but cant find the part. any suggestions
  • mikelvmikelv Member Posts: 1

2008 Navigator with similar problems. Fords running boards are junk and just short of 98k I have running boards, three window motors, seat belt retractor, rear window defroster, drivers seat trim, drivers seat heater and cheap trim all with problems. I have no issues with routine maintenance and have done tires, breaks etc. but there is no excuse for all the other failures which appear to all run a few hundred dollars or more. I left Chevy and Dodge due to poor quality and it appear Lincoln is no better especially considering what you pay for their premium line. My machine shop also noted an issue with dissimilar metals between the running board hinge and bushings causing issues. We are going to see if we can rebuild them rather than spend a few thousand to replace.

• george3234george3234 Member Posts: 1

03 with severely rusted running boards, one works the other not. I would like some suggestions. 1. get boards in closed position and disconnect power? 2. Remove entirely and look at fixed replacement running boards for that 03 year? 3. Who makes them? 4. Leave off and don't worry about replacing. Thanks

• DixiexpatDixiexpat Member Posts: 1
    2014 Navigator L -- squirted oil on everything that looked like a moving part. Working fine so far.