Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buying a Used CJ or Wrangler

2»

Comments

• Options
    6horsestew6horsestew Member Posts: 4
    I found two Jeep wranglers that I am interested in. Both are privately owned. I have an appointment to see each one tomorrow. One is a 2001 with 48K miles on it. The other is a 99 model with almost 100K miles. Coming up with a base price was easy. The problem I'm now faced with is how to price what the user modifications are worth. Both products have expensive mods already installed. For example, both vehicles have a 4" Skyjacker suspension lift. The base price for such a feature purchased new (excluding installation) is about $1800. So, how does one go about assigning value to such a feature? Assuming one is able to determine the current price of custom features what is a reasonable depreciation value to assign to each of those features (e.g. suspension lifts, driveshaft with slip-yoke eliminator, rock sliders, winches, etc.) that a seller has added to his/her Jeep? I'm thinking I should discount the features by 35%-50%. Anybody on the board have any ideas on this? Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    The problem I'm now faced with is how to price what the user modifications are worth.

That's easy, $0 or less. It's only if the particular mods are of particular value to you that you might want to consider paying a premium for them.
    No other buyer is going to consider them an asset, so it will make the vehicle less attractive to them and therefore worth less than if they weren't installed.

The things that will hurt resale value the least are those accessories that are easily removed, i.e. lights, interior doo-dads that haven't required drilling or cutting holes, side steps, etc.
    What hurts most are things that can not be returned to original because either the original parts have been thrown away, or because things have actually been cut off or welded on, for example aftermarket bumpers or a suspension lift (and personally I would run, not walk, away from a 4" Skyjacker lift).

The general exceptions to this rule are factory options. Anything available that was factory fitted adds to the value. A specific exception on Wranglers and a few others would be a winch, if professionally fitted. It would add a little less than it could be sold for if removed from the vehicle.

The Jeep that's worth the most among others of similar age and mileage, is the one that's closest to looking just as it did when it left the factory complete with every available option.

Once major alterations are made it's becomes a custom vehicle, and its value is now a matter of negotiation between the seller and the very limited number of buyers now available to him.
  • Options
    6horsestew6horsestew Member Posts: 4
    mac24 - Thanks for that very detailed well reasoned response. It is very helpful.

BTW - what in you opinion is the problem with the Skyjacker lifts? There are a lot of jeeps in the North Alabama area that are fitted with this modification. I would like to get your take on why they are/might be problematic.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    The other thing that Mac hinted at is that the hardcore off-road crowd is more likely to add a lot of mods to their Jeep. That's great if you plan to do a lot of off-roading, but if you already off-road, you know that it can be hard on the equipment.

30 years ago when I owned an unmodified CJ-5 and went on a few weekend trail rides, the following Monday I would see several club members at the dealer getting parts or using the club discount to fix stuff they broke in the woods over the weekend.

I forget what I broke - ruined a shock or something. :blush:

If I was in the market for another Wrangler, I'd want one that looked as stock as possible.
  • Options
    babeegirl1969babeegirl1969 Member Posts: 1
    I have been looking at Jeep's for my daughter that will turn 16 in December. I have found a 1995 Jeep Wrangler 2.5L manual, Hard top, 102K for a reasonable price. Many people question me about putting her in a Jeep. I started driving in a 78 K10 Blazer and have been in trucks/SUV's every since. She's got her first "3-wheeler" at the age of 4 and always driven anything she could find. We did the Driver's Ed thing (for insurance purposes!) and her instructor told me he had "no worries with her from day one". Being born and raised around a family semi-trucking company, I don't see the "truck" worry; but people are making me question this possible purchase. I've read a lot here and I'm torn!!

Someone wrote "the manual keeps him (16yr son) focused, and speed isn't a real factor.
    Another wrote "the tipsyness" which seems to be everyone's concern and now mine!

She's strong and smart and a great driver, but still a kid! We live in the country (not back woods!!) and do have some bumpy back roads, mainly some highway driving with no open freeways. From what I am gathering the safety in a rollover, should it occur, is higher than the speed that can be reached in some other choices!

Any thoughts or suggestions!!
  • Options
    Get her a 4cyl auto model and you won't have any worries about speed. ;)
    However, the center of gravity is higher than that of a comparable length small car, and where a small car can easily zip quickly around a sharp bend, a Wrangler will be much more likely to lift a wheel at the same speed, or even tip over if it hits a bump at the same time.
    If it does actually roll, the 'roll bar' and windshield frame offer much less protection that a car with a regular roof.

That said, if she drives in a manner that suits the vehicle, you should have no worries.
    Texting, phoning, or being distracted by other teenagers in the Jeep are all much more serious threats to safety.
  • Options
    stact114stact114 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 95 Jeep Wrangler. I am not sure about the driving safety, but I have had a lot of mechanical problems. I was told by a couple of mechanics that this year of wrangler is prone to certain problems including electrical. In the two years I have owned mine, I have had to replace two censors and it still just dies sometimes when I am driving it. And because you need the codes to fix certain things on Jeeps, you can't just bring them to any shop to fix. Just make sure you have a Jeep mechanic look at it. BTW this is not my first Jeep. I have been a Jeep girl for the past 10 years.

Good Luck :lemon:
  • Options
    own a 95 Jeep Wrangler........... I was told by a couple of mechanics that this year of wrangler is prone to certain problems............

Can't really argue with that, although you should take into account that it's a sixteen year old vehicle.

Unless there is a specific reason I wouldn't recommend buying anything earlier then a TJ, which first appeared in '97. In fact late '98 or '99 would be the best starting point.
    The TJ was a huge improvement over the earlier CJ and YJ models, both mechanically, electrically, and in terms of reliability.