Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pathfinder Fuel Pump

matt04matt04 Member Posts: 6
edited June 2014 in Nissan
I have a 2004 Pathfinder SE which has had an intermittent problem with squealing belts. The issue started approx 2 years and I have had the car serviced 4 different times. The problem was initially diagnosed as a CS belt/pulley problem and the first the belts have been reset then replaced, then the pulley was replaced. After each adjustment the noise would stop for a variable period of time and then recur. The service center performed these services for free as the problem was first diagnosed while the car was under warranty.
Now the service center says the squealing is from a broken power steering pump. They further state that it will not be covered by the warranty since this was not the problem initially and the car is out of the warranty period.
My question is: is it possible that this was the underlying problem initially? Is it reasonable to think that a similair squeal recurring over the course of 2 years is the same issue or is this two distinct problems? How would I differentiate? And how do I know that the fuel pump was even checked during any of these other visits.

Comments

• Options
    kbzjkbzj Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2006 Pathfinder with 52,000 miles. The gas gauge and destination to empty reading have stopped working. They are telling me I need a new fuel pump which is $700. I haven't even had the vehicle 3 years yet. Please let me know if anyone has had this issue and gotten anywhere with Nissan.
  • Options
    ricardo_33172ricardo_33172 Member Posts: 34
    If you have under 60K miles call Nissan USA warranty department directly and tell them about the defective pump. Ask them to document your call and give you a case number. When you get that case number go to your owner's manual and look for the part that it talks about the 60k miles powertrain warranty. Make a photocopy and highlight the area where it mentions that the feul pump is covered. Then go to the service advisor and tell them that you have a case with Nissan and they will replace the pump for free. Now the feul gauge is a problem that I am trying to get as many people as I can to complain about it to get this part recalled. However, since they are going to lower your gas tank anyway to replace the pump ask them to replace the feul sensor then, even if you have to pay for the part. Negotiate the labor, since they have to remove the tank anyway.
    I will also like you to send a complaint certified letter to the CEO of Nissan USA. I did that and I had someone call me within days. The more we compain as a group, the better chances we have at getting this defective part recalled. :sick:
  • Options
    nb2808nb2808 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Pathfinder with 43K miles and just started having the same problems with the fuel pump. The fuel cache and electronic distance to empty are not recording accurately. Also, the check engine light is coming on.
  • Options
    burgherburgher Member Posts: 1
    My 2005 Pathfinder needed a new fuel level sensor and fuel pump at 62,000 miles - you are not alone! The check engine light came on again a little while ago, and now I am told the main computer needs replacing. Of course, the car is 2,000 miles over the 80,000 mile warranty mark. I will be complaining to Nissan strongly.
  • Options
    mlaniermlanier Member Posts: 23
    I am not saying that your fuel sending unit doesn`t need replacing , but my pathfinder had the service engine light come on without any other symptoms, and I replaced the fuelpump/sending unit. Well that did not help, so I dug deeper and posted on here, well this guy helped me out of alot of head aches. Here a link to go to and try this first, may help you save some cash....http://www.titanspot.com/Titan/index.php?showtopic=9442&st=0 .. Hope this helps you narrow things down.
This discussion has been closed.