Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Pontiac Grand Am: Key issue

drock88drock88 Member Posts: 2
I have a 2005 Pontiac Grand Am, and lately it thinks that the key is still in the ignition when I take it out. So with my car thinking the key is still in the ingnition, I cannot lock my car by the switch on the door, due to a lockout protection feature.

Comments

• burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Do you have a lot of extra stuff hanging on your keyring?
  • drock88drock88 Member Posts: 2
    No, only my keyless entry remote.
  • prestocatprestocat Member Posts: 6
    The factory installed remote keyless entry stopped working. I changed the battery in the remote and I checked all the fuses (the maxi fuse under the hood and the mini fuse in the driver side panel). I also tried the verification procedure to see if the car has a factory keyless entry installed, which it does, with no response from the car. It's supposed to beep 3 times. Can anyone please help? Thanks in advance!
    I got it working now! I blew out the fuse panel with some canned air. I guess it wasn't making good contact with the fuse.
  • rick2165rick2165 Member Posts: 4
    2003 Grand Am GT1... I replaced the key cylinder, fix the issue for 2 days. The new cylinder locked up like the old one. Seems that the steering not locking must be related. Since the new cylinder requires damaging to remove, I am hesitant to install another cylinder until identifying the real root cause of the issue. Anyone have any ideas?