Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Pontiac Torrent GXP

dentaldental Member Posts: 1
edited April 2014 in Pontiac
Does anyone have any inside info on the 2008 GXP Torrent, sounds as if the changes are going to be numerous. Comments please !!---GLR

Comments

• dannyd3dannyd3 Member Posts: 56
    Just some stuff online but there is a whole lot more about it. It sounds awesome wished I would have waited

GM’s 263-horsepower 3.6-liter V-6 hooked-up to a six-speed automatic, stiffer suspension, forged aluminum five-spoke alloys and a gussied-up interior.

Body styling changes to justify the GXP badge include a revised front end with cooling inlets and deep-set grille inserts, body-colored front and rear fascias and rocker moldings, and dual chrome exhaust tips. They also ditched the roof rack—it’s now on the option list—to make the trucklette look sportier.
    140-mph speedo and racy red backlighting, and shiny piano black trim for the dash.

Like the Equinox, the GXP gets stiffer spring rates and shocks, slightly thicker anti-roll bars, and a marginally lower ride height, which should make it handle slightly better. Front-wheel drive is standard with all-wheel drive on offer.
    I wonder if we will be able to adapt some of the intake changes to our current torrents to increase performance???
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Member Posts: 572
    I saw a Torrent GXP in person at a regional Pontiac GTO meet - they had one on display along with a team from the factory.

My impressions were it was sharp looking on the outside, but not really that different inside.

I was told it will run about $3,000 more than a fully loaded Torrent currently runs. The powertrain is much better, but not sure if it is worth the extra coin.
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    They should start hitting the dealers in the next few weeks. Edmunds has pricing loaded for them. (Base ~ $27.4k FWD, $29k AWD) Add a few options and your at or above $30k.The 3.6l and 6 spd tranny should be a good improvement over the current powertrain; but my impression is that it is now on parr with then new Highlander, XL7 and a few others. Since the GXP will be close to 4000lb. curb weight, performance will be stymied a bit. My FWD Saturn VUE with the 3.5l V6(~250hp) is about 300 lbs lighter so I would expect them to perform fairly close: ~ 6.8-7 seconds 0 to 60 mph. The Torrent is supposed to have Tap Shift which could be fun with the 6 speed tranny.
  • joey2brixjoey2brix Member Posts: 463
    There's no cooling advantages to the intake scoops. For show only. Intakes just kill the aerodynamics anyway.

For 30+ grand. I'd start showwing other higher end SUV's.
  • petemj23petemj23 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know specifically when the 2008 torrents will be going on sale? I need to purchase by the end of August. Any chance of getting a GXP by the end of Aug, or should I just grab a great deal on a 2007? I would love the increased performance, but I don't think I can wait, and is it even worth the extra $?
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Member Posts: 232
    direct quote from the Pontiac folk:
    "The 2008 Torrent is scheduled to begin production on June 28, 2007. Vehicles generally begin arriving at dealerships about six to eight weeks after the start of production. We anticipate the arrival of the new 2008 Torrent GXP by mid to late August. For more information, please visit http://www.pontiac.com periodically. Our website is scheduled to be updated with 2008 product information in mid August. Your preferred Pontiac dealer will also have more information closer to the time of availability. You can find nearby dealers by using the dealer locator web tool on our website."

If you can't wait, you might start drifting by the dealers now and act like you really aren't in a hurry. There should be some incentives coming to clear the 07's once the 08's start arriving. I'm in the NW where there is like a $3000 rebate on the Torrents and no reason to expect not to buy one close to invoice. (before the rebate)
  • dragonflymbdragonflymb Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at buying a 2007 fully loaded Torrent, about 30k. I see that the trany is made in Japan, but the engine in China. Is that so on the 2008? and thoughts on this?
    Im not sure about the 08's but I dont think it is a big concern import products tend to be built really well so I wouldn't worry about it
  • big_prizebig_prize Member Posts: 50
    I'd bet a lot that the "normal" Torrent's powertrain is a carryover, including where the components are built. The GXP's powertrain(3.6L/6sp auto) , however, is not a China/Japan unit.

I'd also echo the previous response that I wouldn't worry about it too much. In fact I didn't, as I have an '06 Torrent. So far, there have been no problems.
    The 3.6L is made by Suzuki in Japan.
  • big_prizebig_prize Member Posts: 50
    I believe that Suzuki builds the GM 3.6L under license in Japan for their own XL7, but units in GM branded vehicles are mainly built in NA. The engine is a GM unit, not a Suzuki unit, by origin.

If the Torrent GXP gets the Suzuki-built version, I could understand that, since they are shipping them to the plant at CAMI for the Suzuki XL7. However, the same engine (more or less) in the Aura, Vue, Outlook et all, G6, etc, is not built in a Suzuki plant. I'm going out on a limb in thinking that I saw Mexico on the window stickers of some of these cars with this engine.
    GM makes the 3.6L DOHC VVT engines in Canada, but shipe those to the US. Mexico makes the 3.5 and 3.9L engines.
  • ranrich1ranrich1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know the actual production numbers for the 2008 Torrent GXP?
This discussion has been closed.