Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Ford Taurus New Owner Reports

Comments

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    While I don't doubt that the GM torque "peak" comes at a lower RPM, VVT engines typically allow more flexible power delivery. Also, unless your GM was a supercharged 3800, it likely makes less peak torque than the Taurus.

You never did come back and answer my question, though; was the 3.8 AWD? You say you hoped for better than the 3800 GM, but with AWD, you really aren't comparing apples to apples if the 3800 was in a Grand Prix / Oldsmobile 88 / Buick LeSabre etc, since the Taurus has the added weight and friction of AWD.
  • catman6catman6 Member Posts: 1
    Gas gauge has not been accurate from day one,reads high.Gauge indicates half tank,put in 15 gallons,dealer claims "ITS A DESIGN FLAW"...CAN'T BE FIXED !!! Their must be 10's of thousands taurus owners running out of gas! Alan Mulally,Mark Fields,Jim Farley are you aware of this?
  • desertrat5desertrat5 Member Posts: 85
    The 3.8 was in a Buick Ultra which is only available in FWD. And it was supercharged. I had previously owned a Buick Park Avenue with the unblown 3.8 and it likewise was great on mileage on the highway and very rarely had to downshift for a hill. So again, while the Taurus enginer is higher tech, it remains a mystery to me why it is not able to at least equal the ancient 3.8 in economy. By the way, the Park Avenue is listed at 3750 lbs while the Taurus is listed at 3640. The 3.8 generates 205 hp and 225 lbft of torque unboosted and 240 hp and 280 lbft of torque boosted. The Taurus generates 260 hp and 245 lb ft of torque.
  • penguinfrostpenguinfrost Member Posts: 5
    > My wife and I actually like the color, maybe better than the dark wood trim.

It's all a matter of personal taste. I really wanted to buy a Sable as I liked the grill and Xenon lights, but bought a Taurus instead as I just couldn't stand to look at the Sable interior color combinations, particularly the light wood.

To each his own.
  • marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    I just checked the Sable site, and I did not find Xenon lights as an option or as standard equipment... did I miss something???
  • ronsmith38ronsmith38 Member Posts: 228
    The owners manual of my 2008 Sable lists the headlight lamps as 9005 for high beam and H11 for low beam. I think both of these are Xenon lamps.
    ...may soon be joining the ranks as Taurus owners. They drove it yesterday, and while they dislike the exterior looks, its just too good of a buy to pass up. They may even get a program car; the dealer had nearly a dozen with 12-15k miles on them, SEL models with plenty of options (leather, convenience package, safety/security package, moonroof) for $17k.

What a deal.
  • rotaryrotary Member Posts: 71
    17k for SEL with leather?

What kind of 'program' is that?

Thanks.
    It was a demonstrator/loaner car. And yes, $17k for SEL with Leather, Convenience, Safety/Security, Moonroof. 13k miles for the particular car they drove.
    Not to beat a dead horse, but are you sure that diesn't mean HALOGEN lights rather than Xenon lights, which are HID???
    After checking, the bulb types come in both Xenon and Halogen. The suffix may be different for the two types. Searching the internet I find Xenon lamps mentioned for the 2008 Sable in the specifications on several car sites. However, I don't see it on the Mercury site. The 2007 Montego specs on the car sites also listed Xenon lamps.
  • rotaryrotary Member Posts: 71
    That makes sense. I thought it was new. Or maybe a demo with 3k or 4k thousand miles on it.
    Nope. You must've passed over the part of my post that said : "They may even get a program car; the dealer had nearly a dozen with 12-15k miles on them." :)

No problem.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    The headlights are projector style Halogen bulbs, not xenon.

Mark.
  • terrydterryd Member Posts: 3
    Are there any qualatative differences between the two models for 2008. We are considering the Limited or the Premier, and the salesman said it is only a badging issue with sheet metal the only significant difference. Appreciate your insights.
    The salesman is correct. The Sable has some styling tweaks versus the Taurus (different trunklid/taillamps, front-end styling), but otherwise should be pretty much identical to drive.
  • rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    The 2007 Montego definitely has HID Xenon headlights. We have a 2007 Montego Premier with HID headlights. The one drawback is that with the HIDs we don't have daytime running lights.

It is surprising that the Sable goes back to halogens. Must be a cost cutting measure?
    "The headlights are projector style Halogen bulbs, not xenon."

What is this based on?
  • slagfyshslagfysh Member Posts: 7
    I have an 08 mercury sable that I purchased in Nov 07. After a few thousand miles I began to hear an annoying suspension noise from the front end. This occurs when going over speed bumps, turning right or left, crossing a dip or ridge in pavement, any condition that works the front suspension. This condition is worsening with time and use. Any else experienced this problem? If so, what was the cause of problem and what was the fix. Thanks.

Merlin
  • auld_dawgauld_dawg Member Posts: 40
    **By the way, the Park Avenue is listed at 3750 lbs while the Taurus is listed at 3640. The 3.8 generates 205 hp and 225 lbft of torque unboosted and 240 hp and 280 lbft of torque boosted. The Taurus generates 260 hp and 245 lb ft of torque.**

Actually, the Taurus FWD is listed at 3643lbs. The Taurus AWD is listed at 3817. So, the Taurus has two "mileage hits" going against it. It weighs over 170bs more than the FWD Taurus {nearly 70lbs heavier than the Park Avenue} and it loses some of its potential power thru the AWD. Likely close to 20lbs of torque.

The AWD may be real good for nasty weather conditions, but its a minus for mileage..........
    Hi all. My folks purchased their new Ford Taurus SEL today. It is equipped with leather, the convenience package (Auto Headlamps, Power Driver's Seat, Dual Climate Control, 6CD/MP3), SYNC, and Sirius Radio. MSRP - $26,615.

First, the pricing.

Was given an initial offer of $22,000 Out the Door, and after passing it on to my folks, they were happy with that. No negotiating necessary. The breakdown on pricing looks like this:

2008 Ford Taurus SEL, Silver Birch over Stone, 21 miles on the vehicle.

MSRP : $26,615
    Dealer Price : $24,844
    Customer Cash : - $2,000
    Manufacturer to Dealer Cash : -$2,000
    Doc Fee - $199
    TTL - $957

APR - 4.54% (Fantastic Credit)

Final Price - $22,000 OTD

As far as how the car drives, today was my first chance to drive it. A few short thoughts (as it was a short drive, after all)...

Powertrain: More than enough power. I felt like I just "wafted" to 50 mph. Shifts are incredibly smooth; smoother than the 2008 LE-V6 Camry I drove recently; probably the smoothest transmission I've ever experienced, actually. I "got on it" from a light, and while it didn't make a fuss, it just "went." Quietly. Engine noise is very muted; most of what you do hear is the exhaust note, which is quiet, but has a nice sound to it. Very smooth-sounding; as smooth as our 3.5L Honda we had. Throttle tip-in is gentle; appropriate for a car this size. Interestingly, when accelerating on an on-ramp onto I-59 (70mph limit) I didn't "nail" the throttle, but instead accelerated like I normally would. The car stayed below 3,000 RPM, but had my dad (who at the time was sitting behind me) saying "easy there, cowboy - we want to buy it, you don't have to force us too by driving fast and wrecking. My mother actually told him "he's not gunning it; it is just a quick car!"

Handling/Ride: Steering is much too light for my tastes, but for a large highway car it should be just fine. I'm used to sportier Honda tuning. It felt accurate, linear, and quite easy to drive. It handled bumpy I-59 with only muted "thumps" from the suspension. No real floatiness, although the nose does pitch-up more than I'm used to upon hard acceleration (probably because it accelerates harder than my 4-cyl Accord!). Something that stood out to me was its tight turning radius. Surprising, really, in a car this size. I didn't do any "cornering" but in my test drive I felt more secure than in the Camry I drove not long ago, and rode as well.

Braking: A pleasant surprise. I was expecting the mushy pedal I experienced in the Toyota; wrong. While not as grabby as my 2006 Honda Accord, the brakes were firm enough, with feel that was well-modulated. I felt instantly comfortable driving this car in traffic, unlike the Toyota, or even my Honda (my Accord has very touchy brakes, and take some getting used to).

Features/Interior: Sync is a pleasure. The dealer even set up my folks' cell-phones, and showed them how to use it, having each of them execute commands from the driver's seat until they fully understood how it worked. Interior room is obviously unmatched by many others. The rear seat of the SEL model does not have adjustable rear headrests, so neck support is lacking for me in the back (I'm 6'5"). My mom was just fine (5'5") however. The rear bench sits well-off the ground at chair height, as do the front buckets. Those front buckets have little lateral support, but make for easy ingress and egress, and should suit this car just fine. The lack of a telescoping wheel was no big deal (sure, it should have it at this price, but it's placement was great). Materials such as the wood-grain aren't going to make anyone think this is a Lexus, but there was enough soft-touch plastic and well-damped buttons to make this car feel more expensive than it's $22,000 price; especially given the features. The leather is soft and perforated; interior color: stone. Stereo sound quality from the more basic 6CD system (not the Audiophile one) is better than adequate; at least as good as that in my Honda if not better.

I'll have more chances to drive this car as time goes on, but wanted to share my experience with it today. I already thought this car had a lot going for it on paper, but as a Honda guy I thought it might feel like an 80% effort. I was wrong. It is an 80% price for 100% good car. Give it a look.

Thanks,

TheGraduate
    I think you will find that the audio system included with the convenience package is the Audiophile one.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    Wow! Other than me not really being a Honda guy, your review could have been written by me! I agree with everything you said. Your folks got a great deal and the car is a tremendous value, IMO. I hope they enjoy it as much as my wife enjoys ours.

On another Edmunds board, you asked about oil changes. There is no oil life monitor but the recommended intervals are 7,500 miles for normal or 5,000 for "special" service. (lots of idling, slow speeds, stop & go, etc.) The car comes with synthetic blend 5W20 oil. It has a timing chain - not a belt.

Thanks for the well-written review. After you drive it more, please share your comments.
    All we could find were four speakers (the ones in the door). What am I missing here, because it sure sounds better than a 4-speaker stereo!
    Thanks for the info about oil changes and the timing chain, and I'll share more the more I get to drive it.
  • bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    Nice review on the Taurus. I agree with everything but the motor comments. Since I own an 08 Taurus and an 07 Honda Odyssey I think am qualified to comment..

I think the 3.5 Vtec Honda engine is much quieter than the 3.5 Ford engine when it's at idle. It whispers whereas the Ford has a growl(which I kinda like).

However Ford has done an awesome job of putting sound deadening materials around the car and it's much quieter then the Honda on the open road.

I've got 17,000 miles on my Taurus and really like this car. It's a great highway cruiser with a lot of room.
    2004 Crown Vic in for some warranty work on the window (new motor) and my loaner car was a 2008 Taurus Limited...Crown Vic had 99,400 miles on its 100K mile warranty, had to get some stuff fixed while I could...

I was quite surprised at the size of this car, much larger than my 2000 Sable, and certainly much more powerful...

Drove well at 80 mph, comfortable car, nice sound system...took awhile for the A/C to cool the car, seemed like the fan was blowing at high speed, you could hear the fan, but the air coming from the dash vents was not of high volume, almsot as tho some of the volume was going elsewhere...

When stepping on it from a stop, there was a definite pull to the right, which I attributed to torque steer, but on the road, the car ran straight...brakes were very touchy, but I like that, as you can NEVER have too much brake power...

Back seat was roomy, car was well laid out...my main complaint, if it is one, is that the adjustable lumbar support was manual instead of electric, like my Crown Vic...

Only drove it during daylight, so I have no idea how well it does at night...among the hundreds, no, thousands of vehicles I have considered to replace the Crown, this could be one of them...still have to check Lucerne, LaCross, Malibu, Impala, and maybe a 2 year old DTS where the first owner took the depreciation hit...

Knowing the Sable is the Taurus' stablemate, what are the minor differences between them, even if only cosmetic???...are there any REAL differences, such as sport suspension that may be available on one but not the other (My Crown Vic has the LX Sport package, for example, whch was NOT available on the Grand Marquis, a true difference between them, plus the Grand Marquis had a Driver Info Center whereas my Crown Vic only had an overhead compass in the same place)...???

No question this Taurus is nothing like my Sable of 8 years ago...
    One of the 2008 Sable reviews on this site by a new owner indicated the digital gas mileage read-out was about 4 mpg higher than what he calculated. Has anyone else experienced this on the Sable or Taurus?
  • capellacapella Member Posts: 20
    Not many differences between the 2008 Taurus and Sable. Obviously, exterior styling is different. Here's what I posted earlier:

Here are the differences I could find between the base 2008 Taurus (SEL with no options) and the base 2008 Sable:

1) Exterior styling differences that are obvious (grilles, fake side vents on Taurus, none on Sable). I think the Sable has the edge here.
    2) The fake wood on the Sable is a "colder" color than on the Taurus. I prefer the warmer feel of the Taurus interior.
    3) Sable comes with the analog clock. Base Taurus does not. Edge to Sable.
    4) Sable steering wheel spokes are silvery metal-like stuff. Taurus spokes are leather covered. A draw as far as I'm concerned; our son liked the Sable steering wheel better.
    5) The interior convenience group on the Sable is $100 less than on the Taurus, and it includes power pedals. However, the price of the base Sable is a few hundred dollars more than the Taurus. Depending on how you equip the cars, the Taurus and the Sable can cost almost exactly the same.

The differences are pretty minor. We ended up getting a Taurus mainly because we found one equipped exactly how we wanted it (base model with ESC only), and I didn't like the colder feel of the Sable interior.

NOTE: The above applies to the 2008 models, I don't know how Mercury will be equipping their 2009 models, and Ford is changing the trim lines for 2009. All 2009 Tauruses will come with ESC standard. The Taurus model lineup is a little different with the re-introduction of the base SE model along with the SEL and Limited trims. The 2009 base SE is like the 2008 SEL, but with ESC standard. The 2009 Taurus SEL is like the 2008 SEL, but with the addition of the Convenience Package (8 way seat, 6 CD changer, better sound system, etc) and Sirius radio. Limited has more goodies too than the 2008.
    Do you know if there is a package where the adjustable lumbar support is power instead of manual???...yes, I can be lazy at times, plus my Crown Vic is power so I am spoiled...

plus, if I were to purchase a 2008 leftover, with the autop market as it is now, maybe the 2009s will come out of the gate with $5000 rebates if no one is there to buy them...
  • capellacapella Member Posts: 20
    Marsha, I've looked at the '09 Order Guide for the '09 Taurus, and I don't see any package or option that allows you to get power lumbar. You can get an 8 way power driver seat (not available on SE, standard on SEL and Limited), and you can get leather seats that are heated in front (this is not available on SE, optional on SEL, standard on the Limited). But as far as I can tell, power lumbar isn't available.

We have the 6 way power seat with manual lumbar and the lumbar works great. It's comfortable for my wife (who's under 5' 2") and me (5' 11"). My wife often has difficulty finding seats that fit her and that was one reason we bought the Taurus.

I don't know if Mercury has power lumbar for '09, but the '08 Sable was very similar to the '08 Taurus and I don't think it had power lumbar available then.

(Note: Order Guide can be seen here: http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24437 -- need to sign in as a member to view)
  • reggiechereggieche Member Posts: 4
    It's a great car, a lot of car for the money. Powerful 3.5L engine with 6-speed automatic, very good gas mileage for the size. Command seats are a good feature, gives great view and driving comfort - I drove SUV and minivans for the past few years, very similar sitting position. Sound is great, backup sensors work fine.

Some very minor issues - hope Ford can improve for future designs:

1) Mech. brake pedal is too close to hood lever. Several cases when I released the brake, the hood was opened (I wear heavy boots).

2) Minor adjust nob is two far away.

3) The trunk needs a latch, or handle

4) Continental tires give a little road noise.

By saying these issues, this is still a great car for the money, and even better than a lot of cars with much higher sticker price. I would like to recommend this car to whom looking for a family sedan, compare this one againest some Japaneses.
    2) Minor adjust nob is two far away.

What knob? I'm not sure which one you mean.

3) The trunk needs a latch, or handle

You mean as opposed to the dash-mounted button for unlatching the trunk? This feature is much nicer than the manual pull-handle mounted in the floor of my Honda. Different strokes for different folks, I guess! :blush:
  • jontyreesjontyrees Member Posts: 160
    The audiophile system should have speakers in the front doors, rear doors, and two 6x9 subwoofers in the rear parcel shelf - you can see the underside of them from the trunk. I'm not sure how many speakers the specs list, but manufacturers always count a coaxial speker with a tweeter and mid as two speakers, so it's probably listed as a 10 speaker system. I'm used to seeing tweeters on the dash or the A-pillars, but the front door speakers are pretty high up, so I guess they didn't feel they needed separate tweeters. I'm amazed at how good it sounds - better (IMO) than the 625w Infinfity Logic7 system in the Azera. I'm a habitual car stereo modifier, but I really don't think I need to alter this one.
  • terrydterryd Member Posts: 3
    Any insight on differences the 2009 will bring. I have procrastinated long enough buying , I think I should understand the new model before taking the discounts available on the 2008.

Terry
    See post #81 above. Also click on the following link, then search on "2009 Taurus". Include quotes. You may have to register.
    http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index.php?
  • cocar1cocar1 Member Posts: 2
    Just found the forum. My 2008 SEL hits one year on the road end of the month- should be at 47K by then (typically drive 45-50k/year). Roomy with a great ride. Base stereo is fine. AC @ wide open is a bit noisy. Tan interior with the black carpet does show a bit of dirt. Put in husky liners to help. Many who ride with me can't believe it's a Taurus. Here's a few things to respond to previous posts: Mileage: 26-28 mpg on the road at 70-80 mph. Mixed driving 21-23 mpg. Ride: Has been great up to 42K tires (Continental-I don't really care for them) tires are going. Will replace with Michelin's new 90K tire. Problems: Trunk latch spring broke at 40K, replaced myself for $60--not worth losing the car for the day. CV boot making noise (42K) used rubber lube no more noise. Pet peeve: chrome trim around the shifter has terrible glare in early spring/ late fall. I need it to last to 150k- so far the so good, let's see how it goes.
  • cocar1cocar1 Member Posts: 2
    Same thing. Was CV boot on Driver's front. Used a rubber lubricant and issue went away.
    Anyone know what the circular vents in the dash are for? They are directly above the a/c vents to the sides of the dash that blow air out. Doesn't really make sense that they would be air intakes for the a/c, since you would expect that to be the hottest air in the car. They are placed where you might see tweeters for the stereo, but there aren't any tweeters in there. I couldn't find them referred to in the manual.
  • brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    If I understand the ones you mean, they are the side window defroster vents.
  • jkinzeljkinzel Member Posts: 735
    Well I purchased a 2008 Taurus Limited. I’m sure I didn’t get the best deal, but I’m not unhappy with it. Any time you can get your tax, tabs and fees paid is not bad.
    MSRP was $29355. Tax, Tab, Fees came to $2613. I got the car out the door $29312.

Ice Blue Taurus Limited with limited convenience pkg, limited wood pkg, power moon roof, Sirius Radio and a full tank of gas. The gas alone is an $83 value $4.19 a gallon.

What little I have driven it I love the ride and amenities. The car it replaces is a 1993 Explorer with 200K + miles on it so I have 15 years of technology to get caught up on. We spent the next day in the car with owner’s manual playing with all the buttons.

Driving it home from the dealer, about 60 miles on hilly, winding roads, I averaged 25.6 MPG. The car had 106 miles on it by the time we got home so I can only assume the mileage will improve with time.

I think the Explorer might have made 18 MPG on the same road as it only gets 20 freeway.
  • bhasinbhasin Member Posts: 11
    Hi,
    I am having a kid soon. I would rather not have a minivan. Since the Taurus is so huge, has anyone experience with car seat +2 rear seat passengers.

What i want to know is "Is this comfortable for 2 adults in the back+ 1 infant in infant seat".

Adults are not taller than 5'8, and medium sized.

I really like this car, and hope it can beat the minivan...
  • bobber1bobber1 Member Posts: 217
    The leg room is great, but width could be better. For short trips around town what your saying would work fine. On a long trip I have to think the adults would feel a little cramped with the car seat in the middle.

I have 3 car seats across my Taurus and can make it work fine. On long trip we go for the minivan ever time. Really a good minivan will get you nearly the same mileage and you have so much more room.

It's hard to beat the value of a minivan(I have a Taurus and a Honda Odyssey).
    Or you could get a Taurus-X which has a 3rd seat.
    Taurus and Mazda MPV here. Practicality eventually won the day at our house.
  • mschmalmschmal Member Posts: 1,757
    Three across in the back with a child seat might be tight due tow width.

An Edge would be ideal its 4 inches wider than an Explorer!

Mark
  • bhasinbhasin Member Posts: 11
    I am not a minivan fan, but if the MPG is the same, then i guess it is more logical choice. Plus can haul more too.

I just like the Taurus, but can afford only 1 new vehicle.

thanks
    Was the CV Boot noise when you went over a bump? I have the noise on my 2008 Sable. It is more pronounced with passenger(s) in the car. Was the lubricant placed on the outside of the boot? Did you or the dealer do it?
  • danielnordeendanielnordeen Member Posts: 1
    I just got a used 8700 miles Premium AWD that was returned to the dealer in Yakima. I live in Lake Stevens, WA was smart to search the local state area. I got a fully loaded black AWD with nav, traction, handling, 18 in wheels, leather, heated seats moonroof, Pierlli tires, etc.

I almost bought a 2008 20k FWD for 15900 but decided to go all the way and glad I did.
    I met them on the Snoqualmy Pass and sign my life away for 23900 plus and now have a 35300 valued car for $24k.

This car is like my F350 lookin down on the other cars and is very comfortable and roomy. The trunk blows me away. I never thought I would buy a sedan being a wagon and fastback type but it is much funner to dirve that my 92 Civic or 1990 VW Cabriolet.
    I love Fords and have a 1975 Bronco with a 5.0 EFI. I am happy to buy a almost new US Ford Mercury product when they need our support to offset Toyota and others. Love my Sable AWD
  • jg585jg585 Member Posts: 9
    Just bought an ’08 Taurus SEL with 18k on it. Take possession Monday evening. A seemingly decent car with a much better seat than my 07 Buick Lucerne. That car crippled me.
    My other consideration was an 06 Volvo S80 at three times the money. Could not bring myself to spend the dough. Woulda coulda shoulda
This discussion has been closed.