Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln LS 2000 Valve Covers

gadjettgadjett Member Posts: 3
My BIG problem is my LS has a 460 engine - we have bought 2 Haynes Auto Repair manuals that supposedly include our LS, but we need to change the valve covers and o rings, and nothing has info on a 460! We discovered it is a 460 from the VIN code. Any help? Love my car! Lots of get up and go! but... valve covers leak and have a nasty smell, and I suppose could start a fire?

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    AS I mentioned in the other thread - there is no such thing as a 460 LS engine. It's either a 3.9L V8 or a 3.0L V6.
  • gadjettgadjett Member Posts: 3
    according to the Haynes Repair Manual, the 8th digit of the VIN # tells the engine code - the 8th digit on my car is an A - which codes as a 460 cu in. - it is a big motor - the valve covers go back beyond the back of the hood. Unfortunately this book doesn't tell how to change them (and put it all back together again...)
    I don't care what the manual says - that would equate to a 7.5L engine which Ford doesn't even make. The 4.6L V8 would barely fit under the LS hood.

RTFM.
    Here is the VIN decoder values for the 8th digit for passenger cars. A is a 3.9L V8, not a 7.5L.

VIN CODE 8TH
    POSITION ENGINE/LITRE CYLINDERS FUEL MANUFACTURER NET BRAKE H.P.
    PASSENGER CAR
    3 2.0 EFI-DOHC I-4 Gasoline Ford 130
    P 2.0 EFI-SPI I-4 Gasoline Ford 110
    Z 2.0 EFI-DOHC I-4 Gasoline-GFP Ford 125
    L 2.5 EFI-DOHC V-6 Gasoline Ford 170
    G 2.5 EFI-DOHC1 V-6 Gasoline Ford 200
    U 3.0 EFI V-6 Gasoline Ford 145
    S 3.0 EFI-DOHC V-6 Gasoline Ford 200
    1 3.0 EFI-FFV V-6 Gasoline/M85 Ford 145/155
    2 3.0 EFI-FFV V-6 Gasoline/E85 Ford 145/150
    N 3.4 EFI SHO-DOHC V-8 Gasoline Yamaha 235
    4 3.8 EFI V-6 Gasoline Ford 150
    A 3.9 EFI-DOHC V-8 Gasoline Ford TBD
    W 4.6 EFI-SOHC(R) V-8 Gasoline Ford 190-210
    V 4.6 EFI-DOHC V-8 Gasoline Ford 260-305
    X 4.6 EFI-SOHC (W)2 V-8 Gasoline Ford 225
    9 4.6 EFI-SOHC V-8 Natural Gas (CNG) Ford 175
    H3 5.4 EFI 4V V-8 Gasoline Ford TBD
  • lrjrlrjr Member Posts: 3
    I agree, there were only two engines. One was a V-6 3.0 liter, the V-8 was a 3.9 liter. The book is definitely wrong. I own an 2004 LS V-8 3.9 liter. It definetly is a small block engine with no other -8 offereings. Hope this helps.
  • inztagatahinztagatah Member Posts: 9
    I Put all new plugs in along with replacing two bad Coil Packs, and noticed i had a little bit of oil in cylinder 3 and 4. Dose this mean head gasket, or valve cover gasket? The car runs and sounds good.
    Valve cover gaskets. Get those replaced asap or you'll be replacing the COPS again.
  • nenosgnenosg Member Posts: 1
    This is a re-occuring problem. I have changed the Valve cover gasket a total of 6 times now, 3 times at the dealer while the car was under warranty and 3 times at my local repair shop. I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem and if they have found a fix for it. Any info is appreciated.

The car is a 2001 Lincoln LS 3.9L V8.
    IIRC there was a redesigned valve cover gasket. If they keep putting on the old parts that might explain it. Or they're just putting it on wrong.
  • twest1230twest1230 Member Posts: 1
    I am replacing the valve cover gaskets in my 2002 Lincoln LS. What should I expect this to costat a shop. not a dealer. Also is there a quality difference between the genuine ford gaskets and the ones at Auto zone. There is a definite price difference, $70.00 compared to $140.00
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    Alan, our LSs sure would have been a "hoot" with a 460 under the hood, don't you think??

Those were some fun days, back in 2000-2006, when our LSs were new...
    I would have settled for a supercharged 4.2L like the Stype. I miss the handling but not the problems.
  • leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    I had a chance to drive a supercharged S-Type back around '03-04, during the local Jag dealer's meet, greet, and test drive. I haven't done too many crazy things in a car, during my 40+ years of having a drivers license, but let me say this, and keep it under your hat....That Jag could hit 90 MPH (in a 40 MPH zone) SO quickly!!!

I seem to recall that you, like many of us, have since traded off your LS for something else, but I don't remember what it was. Could you refresh my memory?
    2006 Fusion 3.0. I'm probably trading it soon for a 2013 to get better fuel economy. Might even get a hybrid just for the driving experience. I'm saving up all my spirited driving for a midlife crisis Red Porsche Cayman S after the daughter finishes college.