Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Hyundai Elantra

starryknightstarryknight Member Posts: 31
Does anyone have any other information about the 2008 Elantra? When will they start showing up on the lots? The link is the only information I could find so far. I guess there will be some added features.

http://research.cars.com/go/crp/research.jsp?makeid=19&revid=51889&modelid=219&a- code=&crpPage=summary.jsp&mode=&year=2008&myid=&revlogtype=21&section=reviews&mo- de=&aff=national

Comments

• joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    here is all you need to know about 2008MY Elantra for the US market:

http://www.hyundainews.com/Media_Kits/2008_Models/Elantra/Press_Release.asp
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Well, everything except the prices. ;) I suppose those will be out shortly.
  • thecincykidthecincykid Member Posts: 3
    Didn't see a date in the linked article. Anybody know when they'll be showing up?
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Is the 2008 a new design?
  • nthenthe Member Posts: 414
    the LTD model will be no more, but they will have a option package for the SE that add leather. The SE will have ESC standard.

The GLS will start at 16,895 for an automatic with air conditioning and a radio. The SE starts at 17,845 for the automatic.
    probably in the next couple months, or less.
  • joe97joe97 Member Posts: 2,248
    2007 is a new design so 2008 is mostly a carryover with minor enhancements and re-packaging. next year we will see a variant of the Elantra hitting the market, as a 2009 model year - that's being discuss in another forum. And by then we should see a facelift.
    Thanks for the info. Does that mean the SE 5-speed stickers for $16,845 including destination? If so, that's not too big a markup from 2007 considering the extra equipment.

BTW, since the SE gets ESC and brake assist standard, does that mean it also gets traction control standard (which I really like on my '04 Elantra)?

I don't see the value proposition of the GLS when for about $800 more (after some negotiating) you get the 16" tires and alloys, ESC, brake assist, traction control (maybe), telescopic wheel with audio controls, leather wheel and shifter, availability of the black interior, and trip computer.
    I don't think we'll see a facelift for the Elantra until at least the 2010 MY, or fall of 2009. Hyundai typically does the refreshes after 3 years.
    yes, that would be the MSRP for the SE manual. The SE also comes with TCS standard too.

hopefully hyundai will make more of the cloth interior SEs, cause the SE have been very hard to find for 07. my dealership had 1 (one of the very first elantras we got last Oct).
    That's interesting, I've seen a pretty even mix of GLSes and SEs when I've checked the lot of my local dealer over the past year.

I predict you'll see the SE be the #1 seller for the Elantra line for 2008, at least for retail sales (Hertz tends to buy GLSes).
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    I've noticed some of the local dealerships have the 08's advertised on their web pages so they have either arrived or will be shortly.
    And I see Edmunds.com has pricing posted. Also colors. I see that the SE is no longer available in Seattle Blue. That's my favorite color on the Elantra. :(

One thing I've noticed is that the markup over invoice has increased quite a bit on the Elantra over the past few years. When I got my '04 GT, MSRP $17.4k, the markup was about $1400. Now I see it's less than $1000 on the base SE with a MSRP of $16.8k. So not only have list prices gone up quite a bit in the past few years, but there's less room for dealers to work with on discounts. Still it's a great value, but I don't expect to see fully loaded Elantras for $13k anytime soon, as was possible not long ago.
  • alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Haven't had a chance to drive the new Elantra yet but yes have noticed that the prices have gone up, may be a sign that the Elantra's are beginning to catch up with the class leaders. Funny thing is I still see some 06 Elantra's in stock which kind of surprised me. Hope to test drive the Elantra next week as I've narrowed my choices down to the Elantra, Sonata and Rondo.
    we just got one yesterday.
    this has happened will most cars. the invoice has increased faster than the sticker to appear to keep prices the same. The elantras are a better car than they were just a few years ago, so naturally they are more expensive.
    I agree they are better (except the driver's seat :( ). But I wonder if some buyers are having sticker shock over the Elantra's pricing, compared to just a year ago. It was a big jump in a short time. When prices are compared to the likes of Civic and Corolla, the Elantra is a great deal. But I have a feeling buyers have been conditioned to expect a huge difference in price between an Elantra and a Civic or Corolla. It's still a significant difference, but not as big as it used to be.
  • starryknightstarryknight Member Posts: 31
    I'm a buyer for a manufacturing company and here's my take on the price increases. The increase in price is probably due mostly to a couple of things. Supply and demand is one reason. The car is better and more people are buying (demand), thus reducing supply. The second reason is because, over the last 3-4 years, metal prices have skyrocketed worldwide. I've noticed it as I purchase a variety of different types of steel for my company. I'm sure car companies are trying to defer increases in retail prices as long as they can. I'm a little suprised car prices haven't gone up more significantly.
    I don't think it's because more people are buying the Elantra. Elantra sales to date for CY 2007 are nearly 5,000 units less than in CY 2006. Maybe fewer cars are being shipped here, but I don't see any lack of supply on dealer lots. Maybe metal prices have something to do with it, but I think a bigger factor is the strength of the won vs. the dollar, the increase in labor costs in the ROK (multiple strikes in the past few years), and the startup of manufacturing in the U.S., with its higher labor costs (which doesn't directly affect the Elantra but affects pricing for two popular models). And of course there's more standard equipment on the Elantra than there used to be, with ABS, 4-wheel discs, and six airbags added across the lineup since 2006.
    I was unaware of the sales figures between CY06 and CY07 and your reasons are certainly valid as well. I offered two possible reasons of many and were based on activity over the last 3-4 years rather than just one. I'm also not very knowledgable of what is going on in the car industry in particular. I deal in a different commodity altogether. Good discussion :)
    So, what is the percentage increase of auto-grade steel over the past 3-4 years? Is this increase because the number of suppliers of corrosion-resistant steel have dwindled? I remember seeing that the cost of steel comprises about $400 of a $30,000 car, or probably less than that for an Elantra. So if the price of steel has doubled, that could account for $100-150 of the Elantra's price increases over the past few years.
    As I said, I don't know what goes on in the car industry. I have no idea what car manufacturers pay for their steel, who they buy it from or what type of steel is used. All I know is, the machine shops I purchase steel parts from have doubled or tripled their prices over the last 3-4 years, depending on the type of steel used. Their shop rates and setup times haven't changed over that time. I do know the main culprit for the steel price hikes during this time period (especially during 2004) has been China. Their expanding economy has caused them to import incredible amounts of steel, depleting the world supply. Recently, for us, steel prices have moderated as we are finding steel inventory at mills and distrbutors has been going up a little.
  • mariogpmariogp Member Posts: 20
    What's up with this.. Now they bumped the milage rating down.. it used to be ..28/36 now is 25/33.. wich is more acurate.. That's the kind of milage I get..
    I know it's only 3 miles... but this can be deseving.
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    All 2008 and later MY cars must be rated using the EPA's new MPG standards. All 2008's have a lower rating than their 2007 counterparts.
    If it makes you feel any better, the EPA rating (under the old, looser rules) for my '04 Elantra is 24/32, and it's basically the same engine but with some tweaks (also tweaks to the automatic transmission). So the 2007+ Elantras do considerably better in FE than they used to.
    I saw a few 2008 GLSes when I checked my local Hyundai dealer's lot today. They looked the same as the 2007s, except for one thing: the window sticker. Prices are up for 2008, so that a GLS AT with the Preferred Package and mats now tops $17k. When I think that a little over 3 years ago, a fully-loaded Elantra GT AT with leather and moonroof was only $17.4k MSRP, that is a big price jump in a short time. Maybe that is why sales of the 2007 Elantra haven't been higher?

BTW, if anyone is interested in a 2007 Limited 5-speed, this dealer (Metro Hyundai, Bloomington, MN) has one, in silver. I bet that's a pretty rare car now. It's also the first 5-speed Elantra I've ever seen.
  • ginny12ginny12 Member Posts: 1
    What don't you like about the seats in the 2008 Elantra vs. the 2007 model? I've test driven the 2007 and like it but just heard about the new safety features available in 2008 models so am considering that also now, even though they have no rebates.
    I was comparing the driver's seat of the 2001-2006 Elantra, which had an 8-way seat with dual height adjusters and lumbar support, to that on the 2007-8 Elantra, which has a single height adjuster and no lumbar adjustment. I like the seat on the old Elantra better. But the new Elantra SE has a telescopic wheel, which makes up somewhat for fewer seat adjustments. And the 2008 SE has ESC standard, which is really great.
  • satyamsatyam Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I m from Toronto ON Canada.

I m relatively new to this forum. Right now i m looking to buy new car and after reading all forums and based on my requirement I narrow down to Elantra / Mextix or Vibe

All 3 have some advantages over other. Elantra wins over price and features as well as interior.

I need advise on choosing model and year. I m looking to have Auto + Power everything + 4 disk break + ABS

I have also seen used car listing for 2007 model, If i get everything in one year old car can i consider buying it? here it makes almost $4K-5K difference.

Thanks
    If driving a car that got a "Poor" score on the IIHS side crash test is not an issue for you, you should look at the 2004-2006 Elantra with ABS. The ABS cars from that era had 4 wheel discs also. ABS can be a little hard to find, however. But if you are looking for the 5-door, the GT models (available in Canada?) were typically more loaded than the GLS and might have ABS (my 2004 GT does). Another plus is that the 2001-2006 Elantras with ABS also have traction control--that is not available for 2007 and available only for 2008 on cars with ESC.

Obviously, it's much easier to find a 2007-8 with ABS since it's standard (or is it, in Canada?). Going for a slightly used 2007 might be the way to go; they are almost identical to the 2008s except the 2008 SE has ESC with traction control standard (here in the U.S. anyway).
    the 04-06 models with a sunroof will have ABS (it was packaged together).
    Yes, for 05-06 at least. Not sure about 04--I think ABS was still available separately then? What about in Canada--aren't the trims different there?
  • jasonnetjasonnet Member Posts: 1
    I see the 2007 and 2008 specs mention "door courtesy reflectors". I don't recall seeing anything that sounds like that on the Elantras I looked at at the dealer. What are these?
  • inharmswayinharmsway Member Posts: 153
    We have a 2004 elantra GT (5-speed) and could only get ABS if we took the sunroof, which we did.

Niels
  • tylerectylerec Member Posts: 6
    I am really looking forward to getting one of these. Does anyone know when these will hit the dealer. All I can find are GLS.
    The thread I started was in reference to the 08 SE. There was no reason to move it.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I'm sorry, but we can't support separate discussions for every model and trim level. All of the Elantra folks will see your post here and if they can help, I assure you that they will. You'll find that a post is more likely to be seen if you place it in a discussion where folks are already reading and posting rather than just having it hang out by itself.

Again, welcome - we're very glad to have you as a new member. Feel free to email me if I can help you find any of our resources or with anything at all.
    Some dealers already have SEs. Have you asked the dealers near you when they expect to get some in? They should know what will be coming in the near future. They could also do a search for you around the region to find SEs at other dealers.
  • fennisfennis Member Posts: 1
    Anyone have any thoughts on potential rebates or incentives on the 08 Elantras?
    I just noticed that there are no courtesy lights (not the dome, but on the door) coming on when I open my driver and passenger doors. There are red reflectors at the bottom of the doors. Are they suppose to light up? They do on my Santa Fe.
  • mareanmarean Member Posts: 2
    Two part question... Is there anyway to replace the rear turnsignals with amber ones (like on www.hyundai.com.au - australian) and is there a way to easily hook up rear fog lights within the 2008 Elantras?

We now have two of them! They're really great cars!!! :confuse:
  • danbfreedanbfree Member Posts: 1
    These are the "door courtesy reflectors" mentioned earlier. I was wondering the same but now we know. They are simply reflectors. Kind of strange the SE with option packages doesn't even have lights on the door and electric seats. Heck, even my Ex's '92 Taurus has power seats!
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    CR released their "Top Picks" list today and the Elantra Se made it along with the Santa Fe! ;)

Elantra named a CR "Top Pick"
  • mrcellusmrcellus Member Posts: 52
    I am also very very happy to see this report although I knew the new elantra was going to get good marks. It even says as far as a 5 year cost & ownership is not higher than its rivals-Ye-Haw! for the elantra se 08'. I am definitly moving a little quicker to get my baby.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    When will the Touring be available?
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    You can watch their review online without a CR account:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/video-hub/video.htm?bctid=1405714084
  • jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    Resale value may be an issue with the Elantra.
    Resale value remains to be seen and the depreciation cost could cause the total cost of ownership to skyrocket when you are ready to move on to your next vehicle.
    Good press like the CR "Top Pick" award can't help but do good things for Elantra's resale value.

Considering the Elantra is available for thousands less than competitors that have higher resale value percentage wise, the financial picture is not as gloomy as you paint it, IMO and IME.
    Something that was not clear to me until I read the April Auto Issue today is that not only did the Elantra SE take the Top Pick for small cars, it's also now tied with the Civic EX MT at the very top of the "Sedans under $20,000" category in CR's rankings, with 82 points each, and in fact is the highest-rated car under $20k with an AT. Overall it's the 2nd-highest ranked Hyundai by CR, with the Azera besting it by 1 point. It tops even the Sonata and Santa Fe in CR's scoring. So quite a showing by the Elantra SE.

I recall noting when CR's review of the Elantra GLS came out that they seemed to dislike some things that the SE would have taken care of, e.g. lack of a telescopic steering wheel and lack of agility. They gave the GLS a score of 70. They seem to like the SE better, with its bigger wheels/tires and telescopic steering wheel, and ESC. They must have tested the SE recently but not yet published the test report. Maybe they will when they report on the new Corolla et. al.

The only criticism CR has for the Elantra SE is "steering feel." I wonder what they'll think of the Elantra Touring, which has a sport-tuned steering and suspension?
  • standepuystandepuy Member Posts: 23
    L_S_ is only for the GLS. It looks that way in the brochure.
    I'd like to get the se, but don't want the other colors. :P