Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

BMW 335i vs Infiniti G37

Comments

• fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I'm not a fan of AWD, but I have read that Audi has closed the gap with BMW, so maybe I should drive it. I've only driven one Audi before - a 2004 A4 1.8T. I was not impressed.
  • ildarad0ildarad0 Member Posts: 24
    well I'm returning my car in December.
    I'm debating what to get:
    my wife wants G37 Coupe
    I want BMW228i or should i go with 335i.

any touhgs???/
  • addamsaddams Member Posts: 74
    335i but the G37 sedan has more rear seat room.
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394
    I was considering the same two vehicles and ended up with the G37 sedan (not the coupe).

1. More rear seat room in the G37 (IMO).
    2. Concern about the longevity and reliability of the twin turbos on the '335.
    3. G37 ~$10K cheaper.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    I can opine on your question of 328i vs 335i. I drove both when I was shopping. I am not a spendthrift, but I paid the extra for a 335i. The 328i is by no means slow or peaky, but the 335i simply has power everywhere on the dial. You never have to really boot it (although doing so is very enjoyable). Just my thoughts.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• ytekytek Member Posts: 4
    Test drove both cars this past weekend and ended up getting the the g37 sport with all options. 335 is a great ride with a bit stiffer handling than the g37 imo. If you want the options and don't want to spend another 7-10k for them, get the g37.
  • ultradultrad Member Posts: 2
  • ultradultrad Member Posts: 2
    I am very interested in the g37. I test drove both the coupe and the sedan last week and was impressed with both. I began this process looking only at the coupe, but now I am thinking sedan for the bigger trunk and back seat. Also I am 6'4" and although I felt comfortable in both cars, the sedan had more head room.
    What do you guys think? Help!!
  • hollandoghollandog Member Posts: 36
    one thing I don't like about the BMW is the standard run flat tires.

If the tires are included in the free maintenance program then I can live with it.
  • bhill2bhill2 Member Posts: 2,466
    If the tires are included in the free maintenance program then I can live with it.

They aren't. The salesman who sold us our 335i recently said that they would do everything but 'replace the gas and the tires'. I missed the significance of that at the time.

2009 BMW 335i, 2003 Corvette cnv. (RIP 2001 Jaguar XK8 cnv and 1985 MB 380SE [the best of the lot])

• highlhighl Member Posts: 32
    I have been debating whether to buy 328i sedan (w/ AT & premium pkg) or g37 journey (w/ premium pkg). Overall, i am inclined for BMW simply b/c i like its exterior and interior look & feel. As far as driving experience is concerned, i am not able to pick one over the other. I am impressed with all the bells and whistles that comes with g37 ( plus a muscular drive train and still it would cost me almost 3K less than 328i). I am concerned about reliability and maintenance aspect of BMW. It seems people have lot of issues specially after 4 yrs ( beyond manufacturer's free maintenance period). If someone has real & practical insight into it, please advise.
    Help!!!
    tia
  • addamsaddams Member Posts: 74
    I liked sitting in the G much more then the 3. I'm 6'@200lbs. G was way more fun in the test drive then the 328. If I was getting a 3 it wouldn't be the 328. 335 vs g money wise it has to be the G. 3 is just to small for me and the 5 fits much better but $$$ so forget the 5. G I belive has better crasg test also and a longer Warr?
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    Shouldn't there be a 328i vs G37 thread to cater for this question. The dynamics of a 335i vs G37 discussion are pretty different from a 328i vs G37 discussion. People were mainly centered on whether the premium over the G37 is worth it for the 335i as the G37 offers similar performance, with the caveat that the 335i is still superior in the performance dept. With the 328i the discussion changes completely as it is not known for its performance and it suffers from the reliablity issues since, well, its a BMW (BMW ranks 26th out of 32 in reliability studies from consumer reports). The 335i although not as reliable as the G has the redeeming quality in the way of class leading performance. You can't argue with 0-60 times under 5s ;)

And before I am labelled a 0-60 fanboy bear in mind that the 328i will not best the G37 in any other category be it interior room, bells & whistles, reliability, pricing etc. Maybe except for fuel economy, then again a Prius is the best alternative if this is important to one shopping for a sports car.
    Hi,
    Thanks for your response. I know g37 is typically compared with BMW 335 which i must say is more fair and accurate. But comparison between 328 and g37 will not be far off too. They fall in the similar price range and have got similar driving experience. Yes, it is true g37 is more muscular but the real question should be is BMW 328i less powerful? For me, reliability is the major concern about BMW 328i. Again, one can say if reliability is a major issue, he/she should go with Lexus (ES/IS). I am trying to find performance vehicle w/o sacrificing much of reliability.
    Can you point me specifically some of major concerns you about 328i?

tia
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,499

The deal killer for me was the run-flat tires, but I also don't care for a design philosophy that substitutes an unreliable oil level indicator for a dirt-simple dipstick -- truly an answer to a question no one asked.

It wasn't bad enough that they made that choice, but the fact that the early indicators failed on a regular basis compounded the error -- there was no possible way, short of draining the oil & measuring it, to determine how much was in the engine. It's not at all uncommon for new BMWs to use some oil until they get fully broken in, and afterwards as well in some cases.

Rumor has it that these days the indicator works, but if you live in the wide-open spaces of the West and drive in the middle of the night on the weekend, having a car shod in tires that cost a fortune & aren't available anywhere outside of large cities, the RFTs are totally unacceptable.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • srs_49srs_49 Member Posts: 1,394

I second cdnpinhead's comment on the RFTs. While not a deal breaker in and of themselves, they were a major negative for the BMW.

Also, in my case, the free maintenance for 4 years/50,000 miles didn't mean much. First of all, I would only put maybe 6,000/year on the car. Second, I had some bad experiences with the local BMW dealership (they also handle Subarus, which we owned) and so I would not take my car to them for service. Two other BMW dealers are 30-40 minutes away, making it unlikely I would use them for routine service.

Finally, the perceived long term cost of maintenance after the 4 year period expired was a downer, even though I tend to do almost all repairs and maintenance on my cars myself.

So far,I have been very satisfied with my G37S 6MT.
    Actually yes, the 328i is less powerful, quite significantly if I may add. One way to put it is look at a Toyota Rav 4 v6, check out the 1/4 mile times on that and compare with the 328i. If you think the 328i is powerful then the Toyota Rav 4 is one hell of a powerful car. Also bear in mind that the FX35 (an SUV with the G35s engine, not even the one in the G37) will still out perform the 328i (in a straight line) so in my world its tough to imagine the 328i as having power.

I think to say if you want reliability you should go for an IS is not accurate as Infiniti per the 09 consumer report tops Lexus in reliability as well. The ranking for the Luxury makes is
    Infiniti, Acura then Lexus. So to put it differently, the correct way is if you want reliability head to Japan and while you are there pick up an Infiniti:)

Like I said, 328i vs G37 is a boring topic, set up a different thread cos the more interesting discussion is the 335i vs G37, thats the real comparison with the caveat that the 335i is superior in the performance department and YES the G37 is less powerful (it has less torque than the 335i). ;)
  • stuckintrafficstuckintraffic Member Posts: 6
    Here's my 5 cents (2 cents+inflation):

I leased an '07 328i coupe w/ all the bells and whistles ($50K msrp) for 3 reasons: 1) lifelong goal to have a beemer, 2) didn't need performance (coming from a corolla - anything is faster than that), 3) coupe design was too damn sexy to resist.

Over 2 years I've brought it to the dealer at least 8 times! Beyond regular maintenance I brought it back for gizmo issues (ipod adapter needed an update, cup holder replacement, etc etc.). Nothing related to engine or tires. BMW's maintenance-free program gave me peace of mind and little stress. They even paid for my rentals if it took more than a day. Run flat tires, although costlier to replace, also gives me peace of mind living in SoCal. I can be in San Diego and theoritically get a flat and drive to my dealer - which I like and is close by - w/o towing or replacing the tire on the freeway if I had to.

On the other hand - Infinitis. I've driven and rode as a passenger in a few Gs. It truly drives and handles like beemers. My friend's 08 G37 Coupe had a transmission failure after the 5th month and cost him like $500 to fix. I'm sure that was an anomaly though. It's less comfortable for passengers than my beemer. I'm a small guy but my head touches the roof in the back seat of the coupe and the engine sounds like a 4 cylinder being pushed past its limits in the back. WTH?

With those in mind I'm glad I leased my beemer because now I feel i've accomplished having a beemer and feel I don't need to own one at all and I have an opportunity to get more bang for my buck. That's why the 2010 g37 is at the top of my list for my next car. I'm not a fan of the design but what a great value. You can't lose whichever one you select.

I do want to add though that just the BMW brand name pays lots of dividends compared to Infiniti's. It's more recognizable and more respected by more people from my experience. Let me put it this way, people who don't know about cars know about BMW but not Infinitis as much. Its instant street cred if you will. It truly is a case of McDonald's (BMW) vs Carl's Jr (Infiniti). Carl's Jr - more value, just as good burgers if not better, but ... McDonald's is still McDonald's.
  • members78members78 Member Posts: 140
    i dont eat fast food, but if i were in a bind, i'd probably get wendys. but ill have to try this carl's jr.
    I finally decided to go with g37 sedan. For me the main reasons behind it were:
    1. Concerns regarding maintenance cost with BMW 3 series. It did help that G37 was ranked very highly by JD powers and consumer reports on its reliability.
    2. Less powerful drive train. I test drove both these cars and most of times i couldn't say 328i was less powerful. But one instance i did notice slight hesitation in the engine when i tried to going past a car on the freeway.
    3. Way too much cost of similarly equipped 328i. Even though i was not planning to take all the bells and whistles on 328 if i were to take that. On G37 it came standard or didn't add too much cost.
    4. Thought objectively :) : I realized i was putting 328i ahead of g37 b/c its name is more recognizable.
    5. Looks: I went to see both cars many a times and overtime i started to like the looks of G37

I got such a nice deal ( though i was getting very good deal on 328i too) on g37, i pulled the trigger on it. I have owned it for a week and i feel so happy and satisfied with my decision. Thanks forum for all your inputs.
    can you sate my curiosity and say what price you were offered on the 328i?
    I was offered $1000 below invoice before dealer cash incentives of $1500 ( so a total of $2500 below invoice). I had posted this in the other thread on this forum itself and people were incredulous! Good luck!
    I do want to add though that just the BMW brand name pays lots of dividends compared to Infiniti's. It's more recognizable and more respected by more people from my experience. Let me put it this way, people who don't know about cars know about BMW but not Infinitis as much. Its instant street cred if you will. It truly is a case of McDonald's (BMW) vs Carl's Jr (Infiniti). Carl's Jr - more value, just as good burgers if not better, but ... McDonald's is still McDonald's.

I am glad you said this and congrats on getting the G. I do want to highlight how retarded this is though:
    BMW as a brand is more valuable than Infiniti because of history (its longer in the case of BMW) and more top end models. Now say you drive the M3 or 335i, if you tell me whats up there, I can understand, you are living up to the "legend". In the case of the lesser engine, the 328i, its a common fallacy that you get street cred, from whom, "people who do not know about cars". This is like saying a blind person thinks I am beautiful therefore I feel good about myself. It simply does not make sense. The opinion I care about is of those who do know about the subject matter. I think everyone, at least the intelligent people I talk to realize in the 3 series, there is one gem, thats the 335i and I get questions of why I did not get the 335i (rarely been asked why not the 328i)

Recently, I went to test drive the 2010 S4. The dealer there, very nice guy by the way, after running the numbers and hearing me say its too much money for me right now and may have to delay the purchase, he did not even offer the A4. He knew the type of customer he was dealing with, someone who does not shop the brand but the object, in this case the S4.

However, if shopping for a coupe, I would find it very very hard to pass on the 335i nothing compares IMHO. Its truly a well crafted machine.
    Why do any of you care what other people think (or why do you derive "status" based on the car you drive)? It's not like you designed and built the car - you simply bought (leased) it - anyone can do that.

As for the 335i vs. 328i discussion...there are actually a lot of reasons to choose the 328i. Besides the obvious price difference, the 328i is arguably more fun and rewarding to drive because of it's lighter weight and better balance. Yes, you sacrifice about 1 second in the 1/4 mile, but really, how important is that? I get more satisfaction from the steering wheel than the throttle - every time.

Anyone can drive a Corvette or M3 fast at the track - but when you can hang on the rear bumper of one of these cars with a "momentum" car like the 328i (0-60 in 6 secs is hardly slow, by the way), then you know you're using skill instead of HP - which is much more rewarding.

Plus, with the added complexity, maintenance, and stress (heat) of the TT engine, coupled with the inability to routinely inspect the engine oil, I wouldn't buy a 335i even if it cost the same as a 328i.

The 335i is really only for people who care more about the image, only drive in a straight line, and plan to turn the car in after 4 years. For everyone else (enthusiasts not grandmas), the 328i with 6MT is the best car in the segment (yes, a better drivers car than the G37) - in my humble opinion.
    thanks for the well-wishes, but i've already just recently purchased a g37x coupe. i paid $4.5k below invoice (w/Nav) and I couldnt pass it up. but I was cross-shopping the 3-series b/c I knew there were deals. I think I read somewhere that 3-series sales have really slowed down more than anticipated, so they're hastening the new model series and have slashed prices on the current cars. but i was really looking at the 335 diesel b/c of the torque, fuel economy and the best part... $9000 off MSRP. alas, i went with the G b/c of the styling and its relatively newness. i didnt want to buy a new car, only to have a newer model come out a year later.

i wanted to add to the ongoing debate between bmw and G. car and driver magazine gave top honors to the 328i over the sport version G sedan. granted, it only won by a few points, but it goes to show that bmw's magic lies not only in the engine, but in handling, steering and driver involvement. it's a finely honed driving machine that has earned its cache. the G is remarkable for offering so many great qualities at such an attainable price point. some things the G does better, and others the BMW, but ultimately that's for the consumer to decide. im from the school of thought that a car reflects who the driver is, but i also realize that people buy certain cars for a myriad of reasons. i think some people buy bimmers b/c they think it represents success. they certainly charge the most so it's easy to have that prejudice.

the fact that the G and the BMW are close competitors is high praise for both car makers. i bought the G b/c of the styling, exhaust, LED taillights and handling. i love my car so much i even washed it today despite the 29 degree weather. :P
    Congrats on getting G! I was aware of C & D review before i made my decision. I could not pick up winner based on the review.For me reliability was a key factor since i plan to own the vehicle for long time.
  • jpfivejpfive Member Posts: 37
    Interestingly, the G37 and 335i are leasing right now for about the same amount, despite the ~10k price premium on the 335i. Both are selling for around invoice (pre-rebate), but the 335 has the 2,500 cash vs 1,000 with G37 along with the ~6% better residual value on the 335.

To sum up my experiences with both:
    -G37 is more luxurious with better standard features like vicinity keyless entry, ipod, and heated seats
    -335i is better drive, fast as hell, rides on a rail

Right now, 335 is probably better for lease and G37 is better for purchase
  • millwood0millwood0 Member Posts: 451
    as a new G37x owner, here is my 2 cents.

i have owned quite a few BMWs, from the older M-coupe (a dream to drive), to a 330i, a 530i, and then a X3. the 530i and the X3 are pigs in terms of their handling. so they are off this comparison.

the G37x beats out the 330i in terms of acceleration, interior room (could be a minus, depending on your perspective), and bang for the buck.

the 330i is far more civilized, however, vs. the G37x. The BMW engine / combo is probably as good as it could get. the engine is silky smooth and revs on the slightest tap on the gas. the transmission downshifts aggressively. the chassis is solid as a rock, and the steering feedback is perfect. When the BMW goes over rough surfaces, you don't need to adjust the steering constantly.

the G37x on the other hand has a quite rough pitch at high rpm, jumps on uneven surfaces, and the transmission has a more pronounced lag / response to your gas pedal.

the BMW is a professionally trained world class athlete, and the G is a newly discovered superstar with lots of potential.

I don't know how well the G will do in the reliability department but beating my particular 330i in reliability should be easy, :).
    Useful stuff.

Thanks.
  • archdriverarchdriver Member Posts: 1
    I know its a bit late to respond to this post but I just joined.
    Anyway, My wife had a black on black 525 wagon with the M package with every option that it came with. As Wagons go it was probably the nicest looking one on the road. We thought we had finally arrived with a thoroughbread like a Bimmer.

However, What a piece of junk it turned out to be!!! It was in the shop more often than it was in the driveway. The dealership, Competition BMW in Smithtown, N.Y. was the pits. They were rude and the service stank! We dumped it the minute the warrantee was up as it was destined to suck us financially dry.

Shortly after that (two years ago) I leased a G35x sedan. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that car. Its packed with features and super fast for a sedan. Its been incredibly reliable. The few times it was back at the dealership they treated me like I was royalty.
    My lease will be up in two months and I am hoping the 2010's come out in time.
    My only disappointment is that the 2010's have taken so long to come out.

The only way I'd have another BMW is if they gave it to me!

Anyway , thats my two cents... I LOVE my G !!!!
    "Right now, 335 is probably better for lease and G37 is better for purchase"

absolutely true. the germans in general and the bmw in particular is more expensive to own but less expensive to drive than the infiniti, in most part because of their high residuals.

if you factor in the no-cost maintenance, ...
    "I LOVE my G !!!!"

I truly loved my 330i (2004-2005) when it worked. and the two dealerships I have worked with, Bridgeport BMW and Ridgefield BMW,while being on the expensive side, have been very nice to me.

hopefully my infiniti experience will be as good.
    Why do any of you care what other people think (or why do you derive "status" based on the car you drive)? It's not like you designed and built the car - you simply bought (leased) it - anyone can do that.

The 335i is really only for people who care more about the image, only drive in a straight line, and plan to turn the car in after 4 years. For everyone else (enthusiasts not grandmas), the 328i with 6MT is the best car in the segment (yes, a better drivers car than the G37) - in my humble opinion.

Ist point, never said I cared about what people think otherwise I would be driving a 328i as its a BMW, in terms of brands BMW>Infiniti. When I spoke of intelligent people, simply was making the point that if you are to tune to other people's thoughts, then better those than "people who do not know about cars"

2nd point, it amazes me how 328i drivers turn against 335i drivers yet its the 335i that makes the 3 series. I simply do not believe that 335i drivers are for those who car about image. My take is there are those who can afford it, or are enthusiasts or like me, do not bother with base engines amongst other reasons. Remember the 335i is the benchmark in its class in respect of performance, NEVER forget that. (Although the S4 now takes that spot.)

Regarding the 328i driving better than the G37, and reference to the C&D article, which can be expected from someone with the 328i. You should look at how they concluded why the 328i was better and the points system. It was all in the "gotta to have it factor" where in you case you would max out on this and for me that would be 0 points (I do not do base engines of anything). In respect of the track, the G37 was superior, go read it again.

Interesting discussion:) but come one 328i will never be better than 335i at anything, other that reliability & fuel economy but its the price you pay for pure fun
    @ Fedlawman

Sorry man, I am having too much fun at you expense here but you said something to the extent that the 328i is only about a second slower than the G37 so its no big deal.

Let me put it in a different context for you:

The C63AMG is only about 1 second faster through the 1/4 mile than the G37 so its no big deal.

Does that make sense?
    To me the C63 AMG is a monster although its only about a second faster through the 1/4 mile. Just my 2 cents

Also humor me for a sec, do you know of a single magazine, C&D included that has the 328i as their long term test. The only one I know is Consumer Report and even they are not impressed, it scores around 80 in their driving tests and the G, the highest rated there scores and impressive 97, just food for thought.
    "it amazes me how 328i drivers turn against 335i drivers"
    "which can be expected from someone with the 328i"

I don't own a 328i or a 335i.

"328i will never be better than 335i at anything, other that reliability & fuel economy"

It is absolutely better balanced. The steering is more responsive and the chassis is more balanced. It's easier and quicker to turn in and get set in a corner (the 335i just wants to understeer).

"its the price you pay for pure fun"

Yeah, if your definition of fun is hanging out by the A&W and drag racing Eclipse turbos and Integras. ;)
  • roadburnerroadburner Member Posts: 17,312
    Yeah, if your definition of fun is hanging out by the A&W and drag racing Eclipse turbos and Integras.

LOL! At the US press intro of the 3er droptop I drove a 328i and a 335i- both with manual transmissions. I enjoyed the "slow" 328i just as much or more than the 335i. I drove a 335i slushbox for a couple of weeks after the intro and the 328i with a stick is definitely a more engaging and rewarding drive. That said, the 335iA IS a lot of fun if you always wanted a Mustang- but with a German accent... ;)

Mine: 1995 318ti Club Sport; 2020 C43; 2021 Sahara 4xe 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica Wife's: 2015 X1 xDrive28i Son's: 2009 328i; 2018 330i xDrive

• kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    The 335i is really only for people who care more about the image, only drive in a straight line, and plan to turn the car in after 4 years

I couldn't disagree more, but hey everyone has an opinion. After several years of the Susan G. Komen drive for a cure, I've had a lot of seat in time every BMW except the Alpina and M. BMW should get rid of the 128, 328 and lower the price of the 135,335.
    "BMW should get rid of the 128, 328 and lower the price of the 135,335."

I think BMW is smarter to follow that advice.

for a driver, the #1 reason to buy a BMW is for its handling. You can find plenty of cars that will beat the bmw in terms of raw power or acceleration, at much lower price point. What really set BMWs apart, at least the 1- and 3-series, is their handling. Or more precisely, their compromised handling: they offer a nice blend of comfort and sporty handling so you can haul your friends around most of the time, and have fun driving your car.

if you really care about raw power or acceleration, you have the likes of Mustang or WRX, or even a Camry V6.

if you really care about handling, you have Miata, or WRX, or the Z.

For most drivers out there, a 128 or 328 deliver 99% of what a 135 or 335 can do, at a much lower price point.
    Well, regarding the 335i, I admit I was exaggerating a little, for effect. The 335i a great sport sedan, but I still insist that the 328i is the better car.

The 328i is BMW's bread and butter. It is also, arguably, the best car they currently build. Quick, nimble, comfortable, reliable, luxurious, economical, and affordable. It may not be their most exciting car, but no other BMW has all of those qualities to the extent that the 328i does.
    Quick, nimble, comfortable, reliable, luxurious, economical, and affordable. It may not be their most exciting car, but no other BMW has all of those qualities to the extent that the 328i does.

Well, yeah, sort of.

If it weren't for the solid rubber tires (with no space to store a spare) and the "electronics at all costs" approach, I'd be driving one now. Plus which, BMWNA leaves the best ones over the water and brings only the "my unit is bigger than yours" versions over here -- there's that image to protect, and all.

Bring me a 325d with a manual transmission & I'll be all over it, especially if it's a wagon. I'm not holding my breath, though it appears many wish I would.
    "Bring me a 325d with a manual transmission & I'll be all over it,"

if you like it that much, you can always import it on your own.

No? then you don't like it THAT much.
    if you like it that much, you can always import it on your own.

No? then you don't like it THAT much.

Are you serious? 30 years or so ago that was do-able (not easy, but possible), but no more. The EPA & CARB nannys have completely eliminated the option.

It was never easy. Now it can't be done. Or maybe you know the "right people." Please let me know how to proceed.
    "30 years or so ago that was do-able (not easy, but possible), but no more."

it is still doable today.

Whether you have the means to get it done or you are willing to spend the dough to get it done is another story.
  • uncmo96uncmo96 Member Posts: 6
    A few months ago I went through the same 335 vs. g37 debate. I test drove the g37 and LOVED IT. I then went to my local BMW dealership to drive the 335 doing the math and realizing that it would be $7g more. I sat in the BMW in the showroom and looked at the rather restrained interior. No touch screen? No flashy buttons and bright lights. I was like eh, I'm not going to like this. Quick test drive and I'll go back to the infiniti dealership and start bargaining.

I then test drove the car. The salesman encouraged me to push it. It was amazing. While on paper the 335 and g37 are close the 335 drove like something that did not belong on the highway but on a track. I even went back and drove both cars again.

As far as status it doesn't really matter, since in most suburbs I'm sure you can find many gs and 3 series. I probably would have been happy with the G37 but the 335 is the closest thing to to a full on sports car I can get that is 50k or less, allows me to put 2 car seats in the back, and comes in AWD for the winter.
    "Yeah, if your definition of fun is hanging out by the A&W and drag racing Eclipse turbos and Integras."

The G8 will do the trick as well, but again here you are ignoring a few obvious facts amongst them, all these cars you mentioned are not entry level luxury cars. Its not just a need for "raw power" although arguably the G has thas that locked down too, hence the comparison with the 335i.

As for pure fun in the 335i, look at the posts between yours and mine.

To change topics, looking forward to 2010 hoping to step into the 2010 G37 from my 2nd Gen G35 or the 2010 S4 (I need a lot of things to go my way if this is to happen but I love that car)

As for the 335i, if there is one thing I respect its a car that goes years with its performance standing unchallenged, the 335i is an example of that. Only the S4 has done it but even then its close (0.1-0.2s through the 1/4 mile with a 2mph difference in trap speed). Did you guys read about the new twin turbo in the Z4, +330HP & +330lb/tq. The icing on the cake is some additional +40lb/tq that comes with a press of a button OMG. I am not sure if Audi or Infiniti will have an answer to that if that engine ends up in the 335i :D

My prediction though is Nissan has the 350HP engine in the Nismo Z, if they can figure out a way to boost the tq from 270 to at least 300 and drop the weight in the G, then it may still be close on the track. The X28i will most likely get 260HP, see X1 and base Z4 engines, however Nissan Altima, Honda Accord and Camry V6 models may end up with +300HP from their ELLPS cousins.
    Just to illustrate a point here, currently pricing for the 335i & G37 are very close, here is why I am choosing the 2010 G37

1- Reliability
    2- Handling (not implying its better but its great)
    3- Toys (I cannot do without those, just got to have them. S4 provides these two)
    4- Interior room (not implying the 335i is cramped but the G has more room, S4 is close if not better)
    5- Better looking interior especially with the 2010 updates (S4 is better)
    6- Arguably the ONLY NA engine in this segment delivering 99% of the fun in the 335i

Dont take the above to mean I am implying the 335i is not great, in fact let me put it this way, the 335i is better than the G37, see my previous post above this one, great respect for it. Illustrating that the decision of getting a G37 goes far beyond raw power, it cannot be compared to Mustangs, Camrys as this is a whole different world altogether. In fact the Mustang is coming out with a 5l 412HP engine which will be cheaper than the G37 but there is a different crowd for that.
    "No touch screen? No flashy buttons and bright lights. "

touch screens, flashy buttons and bright lights and "look at me" styling are exactly things I try very hard to avoid in cars.

one of the reasons I loved earlier BMWs is their understated styling. they don't go out of the way to draw attention at them. at least until that Bangle guy ruined it for me.

for that reason, we abandoned the Audi A5.

having to live with touch screens, flashy buttons, bright lights in the g37 has been a downer for me.
    "1- Reliability"

I had a terrible experience with my 330, but reasonably good experience with a m-coupe, 530 and then a x3. we had a worse experience with a J30. and with an Audi allroad 2.7t. but at least my BMW dealers are great.

"2- Handling (not implying its better but its great)"

I would give the edge to the bmw on that one. the bmw's ride is far more controlled, yet comfortable. the g's ride is harsher but sudden when pushed. the G's handling reminds of older VW's: good but primitive?

"3- Toys (I cannot do without those, just got to have them. S4 provides these two)"

that would be a minus for the G, for me.

"4- Interior room (not implying the 335i is cramped but the G has more room, S4 is close if not better)"

slight minus for the G, for being bigger.

"5- Better looking interior especially with the 2010 updates (S4 is better)"

agreed. both are terrible vs. the audi.

"6- Arguably the ONLY NA engine in this segment delivering 99% of the fun in the 335i "

never driven a 335 so I cannot opine on that but the G is considerably cheaper to buy than the bmw.

the bmw does have the advantage of free maintenance + long oil change interval. I did have a foresight to negotiate into my purchase of the G 3-yrs of free oil changes but I have to go in more frequently.

My sense is that ownership cost over a short period of time will be cheaper for the BMW than for the Infiniti. But if you intend to keep your car for a while, the Infiniti is likely cheaper.
    some have talked about HP figures. My experience has been that those figures don't matter that much in real life driving.

my 330 is a 2004-2005 vintage (one or two generations ago from the current one, I think) with ~200hp and a 5-speed auto transmission. I have also driven the same generation 325 (with a 2.5l 170hp engine) + 5-speed auto transmission, and then the later gen 325 (with a 3.0l engine + gm transmission I think). the older 325 is every bit as quick as the 330 for intown driving and lots of torque, and the transmission downshifts very aggressively. the only weakness I would say would be a little bit of chassis flex / bounces. the later 325 fixed that problem and that is a wonderful car to drive.

the only difference between the older 325 and 330 shows up at high way passing, with the vehicles are loaded with people + luggage.

both vehicles drive better in town than a g35 I tried then.

the g37 has zero problem passing on the highway while being loaded with people + luggage. but accelerating from a standstill, the g has a split second lag that the bmw doesn't. the 530 suffers none of that.

to me, the BMWs are much more refined than the G. In the end, we downgraded to the Infiniti for lower cost + hopefully better reliability: the G replaced a Volvo XC70, which we would have loved to replace with a 5-series wagon but it would have cost us twice as much as the G did.
    Although the G cost half, its not a fair comparison, 5 series is a different league altogether. E, M35/45, GS350 would be a better comparison. For the family I have the MDX in my radar. Kind of why the S4 may not end up in my garage otherwise would have to get S4 and a Toyota Sienna CE or G37 and MDX, the family would be happier with the 2nd option.

We can agree to disagree on my list of 6, it wasnt meant as a comparison just a personal list of whats important to me. This is kind of why Mustangs, Camry V6, Eclipses, STis, Evos, Camaros etc would fall off my radar and the typical guy who goes for the G. Some or most people may not even have those 6 on their list of must haves but may still end up in the same place.

You seem concerned with reliability, but as a general rule you cannot go wrong with Lex, Acura, Infiniti, Honda and Toyota. If one can say the Germans are good at sports cars, Americans @ muscle cars the Japanese have reliability locked down every year (Thats not to say there are no exceptions :) )
This discussion has been closed.