Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

300C Tire Replacement

bamsdmbamsdm Member Posts: 11
edited May 2014 in Chrysler
I experienced a vibration at 60mph on my 2006 300c. This occured at 17,065 miles. My five-star Chrysler dealer found the factory installed Goodyear Assurance tires had runout on each of the them. My tire preference for years has been with Michelin. I located four of the new Michelin Primacy MXV4 225/60R/18 at my local Merchant dealer. The new michelins would not fit on the factory 300C wheels. While the tires were the same size, the factory wheels has a double bead that would not allow the tire to seal. I didn't believe this until I watched the dealer try to mount the Michelins on the wheel. Merchant located a set of the Goodyear Assurance. They fit without a problem. This is UNREAL!

Comments

• bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    This is unreal. Any chance the Michelins were run flat tires? That could explain why they wouldn't fit.
  • bamsdmbamsdm Member Posts: 11
    Side by side it appears the Michelins are a smaller tire than the Goodyears.
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    Sounds like you've been duped. I just went to the Michelin website and put in for tires for a 300C. Just as a year ago when I went to replace my Conti's, it says Michelin doesn't have any tires that exactly fit the vehicle...so doubt they would fit the rim either....
  • bamsdmbamsdm Member Posts: 11
    The reason that is happening is becasue of the load value. The factory load is 99H while the Michelins are 100H. I received a message on Friday from Michelin. A factory rep is looking into this as the Primacy is to fit the 300C.
  • smithedsmithed Member Posts: 444
    I have some new CS4 Coopers on. We'll see how they do. Certainly better than the Continentals. :)
  • coolrunningcoolrunning Member Posts: 117
    I just replaced my OEM Continentals (P215R60-18) with a set of Michelin Latitude HP (P255R55-18) on the stock chrome clad rims that came with my 2006 300C Heritage Edition. The new tires are the exact size, brand and type that come with the BMW SUV's as OEM equipment. They are H-rated and run flat design. I only got 20,000 miles of the Continentals, but expect about 60,000 miles out of the Michelins. Performance is greatly enhanced. I am experiencing much better braking and traction on wet and dry pavements as well as amazing cornering improvemnet. The run flat design makes the ride a bit more firm, but it corners so much better I don't mind it at all. The tire profile elevates the ride height slightly, which is OK because the car is a little too low to clear some steep driveways without scraping anyway. You can buy cheaper tires, but I don't think you can buy better tires than Michelins. I spared no expense for something so critically important to the safe operation of my vehicle. :)
  • vic10vic10 Member Posts: 188
    Michelin's eh? They must be newly available. When I needed replacements last Fall (at 30K miles), when my Conti's were virtually Slicks, all I could find were Goodyear Assurance. They're not bad: Improved the handling and quieter ride. But I'm not impressed with their adhesion on wet pavement. I think even the Conti's were better. I've always preferred Michelin since my first car (69 Firebird)....
    The Coopers now have 12,000 miles on and look like new. The adhesion has been much better than the Continentals. Rotated once so far and will do next week with the next oil change. :shades:
  • bartm55bartm55 Member Posts: 1
    I have been around cars for most of my 62 yrs and have been a mechanic for the past 30. Our 2006 SRT with 17,000 miles on the odometer had the Eagle F-1's and had wear on half of both front tires on the inside. Now this is going to seem crazy and it is. If you draw a line across the center of the tire from front to back, back bumper to front bumper ....only one half is worn...top or bottom you chose but only half. There is a wear pattern like it was rubbing against something, it has a groove about 5/8ths inch wide that starts at one side on the inside and gets deep in the center about 3/8ths in deep and tapers off at the other side.
    The only reasonable explanation I can come up with is the tire suffers from tread separation.
    I know of three other SRT owners here on the Big Island that have had the exact same problem. Dealer has no explanation for it and the Goodyear says there's nothing wrong with the tire. I can buy new ones for 399.00 a piece. Yeah like I would buy another of those tires.
    It is utterly ridiculous and I''m sure there have been a death of two that this attributes to. Someone just has to expect the unexpected and check the tires for this unbelievable wear pattern. The outer portion of the tires looked great but I had the car up on my lift and saw the problem.....check your F1's they are very , very dangerous. The tell tale is the vibration that feels like a tire balance problem, don't be lazy get under the car and look at the inside tread... :mad:
  • mzmoniquereneemzmoniquerenee Member Posts: 12
    That really sucks, my Continentals have over 41K and still looking good, great balance and alignment. :P
  • dontplaymedontplayme Member Posts: 1
    currently have pirelli's p255/r 60/18 99h four seasons came out in 2006 have 44k on car & maybe 20k plus on tires problem all tires are down to 4/32nd and worse at tread wear bar have to replace all 4, tire store won't even rotate them. not sure if i should get same tire again since tie rod issue may be reason for uneven tire wear & such. went online & out of the choices & price pirelli stands out the best at $133.00 per tire unmounted. chrysler dealership is willing to sell them to me at their cost not sure what this is yet. any suggestions :confuse: oh by the way purchased car 11/11/08 certified used car at chrysler dealership car had just come off lease,tie rod & shot tires should have been dealt with before car was put on floor for sale :cry:
    Right now I'm running Cooper CS4. 26,000 miles on them now and the tread appears to be about half there yet. (I have not measured) :)
  • 70roadrunner70roadrunner Member Posts: 1
    I just put Coopers on (CS4) and they are the better than I would have imagined. Conti's sucked and Michelins don't last either. GoodYears are garbage..Pirellis are junk...Coops are golden...
  • tweekestweekes Member Posts: 5
    I bought my 300C in 04 (2005 Model, paid sticker, had to have it) the Conti's were toast at 20K, put on Goodrich somethings with the tread that looks like snake scales, you see them on trick my truck etc. Toast in 20K, noisy and vibrated but they looked really cool. Did Goodyear Assurance, 25K and they are almost gone. Moral of the story, get a 60K treadwear guarantee, at 25K, get a new pair at half price. I'm in S. Florida, they tell me it's the worst treadware area in the US. Other than tire destruction, love the car. 65K on the odo and I'm still happy
  • paul922paul922 Member Posts: 2
    I'm in SoFl also, on my 2nd, 300C. OEM Conti's got 13,500, twice. Got a new car w/Goodyear Assurance and got 30K+. The heat and shell 'rock' in the asphalt here eats tires. Trying Bridgestone's now. Love the car, am looking forward to 2011 and the new body style!
  • jupesjupes Member Posts: 4
    Heard the latest tires being gobbled up by Chrysler dealer for the wear problem is the Michelin Primacy. Anyone have them yet/ Apparently a whole new rubber compound.
  • deadeye1deadeye1 Member Posts: 6
    Hi I have a 300 Touring 2007 that has about 30,000 on a set of Goodyear
    Intergrity tires. Looks to have at least 60-70% left on the tread. Not sure
    if they are originals or not I bought the car with 24,000 on it...So far-so good.
  • jupesjupes Member Posts: 4
    You should be fine . The 300c with 18 inch are the nasty problem. OEM was Continental. 20,000 clicks and they were toast on the front end.Firestones didn't do much better. Three sets of tires burnt off at 77,000 kilometers!!! (45,000 miles to my American cousins) Bought the New Michelins. keep you all posted.
    Just checking in to let folks know how the Cooper CS4s are working out on the 300C. Now at 32,000 miles and a good bit of tread left above the wear marker bars. So much better than the original Continentals were! :shades:
  • jloiaconojloiacono Member Posts: 12
    I HAD AN 06 300 C WITH CONTI'S ON IT. HAD TO REPLACE 2 FRONT AT 18,000--THE 2 REARS AT 26,000 MILES. I GOT A LETTER IN THE MAIL THAT THERE WAS A CLASS ACTION SUIT AGAINST CONTI. I FILLED OUT THE FORM FOR A REIMBURSEMENT LAST SEPTEMBER. THEY SAID I DIDN'T GIVE THEM ENOUGH INFO. I GAVE THEM 2 BILLS FROM 2 DIFFERENT CHRYSLER DEALERS--THEY EVEN HAVE THE TIME OF DAY ON THEM. I MAILED THEM THE FORM AGAIN. STILL HAVEN'T HEARD ANYTHING. HAS ANYBODY HEARD ABOUT THIS--OR MAYBE ITS A SCAM.
  • coolrunningcoolrunning Member Posts: 117
    At least you heard something. I sent in two claims, (one for each of my 300C's) and have yet to hear anything at all. I expected to get back about $80.00 for each claim, but it has been over a year now and not a word. I have copies of everything I sent, including phone numbers. I will call to inquire what the hold up is... I bought Michelins (two sets), and they are the exact same size as what BMW puts on their SUV. They are run flats, and grip like magnets. ;)
This discussion has been closed.