Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Article Comments - 2007 Kia Rondo Long Term Test

Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
Follow along with our 2007 Rondo long term test and post your comments here.

Long-Term Introduction: 2007 Kia Rondo
Tagged:

Comments

• prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    Rented this from Enterprise a few weeks ago to take my daughter to college. Didn't want a minivan so they offered me this. I wasn't sure but I've gotta tell you that this is one very tight, nimble Kia. I was very impressed.
    I was most impressed with the build quality and sense that it was just screwed together very well. Frankly, it rides farrrrr better than my Honda Pilot. Far less wind and road noise too. Feels very much like a car...probably due to the fact that its based on the Optima/Sonata platform. Found that out when I did a little research before agreeing to take this 1700 miles.
    I still can't get over how well this vehicle performed. 23.9 mpg overall for the trip.
  • medicinemanmedicineman Member Posts: 135
    You can read all the blog entries for the Rondo's long-term test here. Strange that there's no direct link to these blog entries on the webpage mentioned in the first post.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Nitpicking your positive review here but the Rondo is based on the Optima platform. Unlike the last, almost identical, generation of cars, the Optima and Sonata have parted ways. With struts up front, the Optima is more closely related to the new Elantra, although it shares the four cylinder engine with the Sonata.
  • ramblinramblin Member Posts: 29
    Nov 26, 2007
    2007 Kia Rondo: Rondo Vs. Audi Q7

http://blogs.edmunds.com/roadtests/category/cat.2007KiaRondo?@@
  • flipbflipb Member Posts: 18
    Today's blog post about the Rondo mentions that '08s will have an Aux input jack for mp3 players. On the Kia website, it looks like all the photos are still the '07 model.

Anybody know where the Aux jack will go in the '08s? If it's integrated into the stereo faceplace, I wonder how difficult or expensive it would be to buy the '08 stereo and retrofit it into my '07...
  • conwelpicconwelpic Member Posts: 600
    on the Canadian 2008 model the AUX jack is mounted in the bottom of the armrest storage with a entry door (for your cable) from the upper storage, not sure whether the US will follow this set up as the Canadian models do not have a mp3 player.
  • e_net_ridere_net_rider Member Posts: 1,380
    I am suspicious that this is only on the high end audio and I think it was there with the 07 high end unit.
  • prosource1prosource1 Member Posts: 234
    I had to rent a Rondo from Enterprise to get my daughter off to college this year. When they told me a 'Rondo' was the only minivan they had, I laughed. Then I started loading this little baby and was shocked at the space, compartments under seats and overall utility this possessed.
    Driving it, well, I was impressed. I pushed it hard through the highways of the Northeast and the back roads of Maine and got 26 mpg. The V6 was more than enough and the ride was very compliant with a very smooth drivetrain. The interior is very well put together and there are no rattles or quality issues whatsover. VERY WELL BUILT and it feels that way. Hyundai/Kia is really putting some very good feeling products out there.
    To sum up, the Kia impressed me and if it looked a little less stodgy it would likely sell even more. Forget everything you thought you knew about Kia's. This felt like a Honda in everyway(and I'm a Honda owner).
  • festiboi1festiboi1 Member Posts: 10
    I'm sad to see this little critter go; it was one of my favourite long-term cars. If I had a family or needed the space, this car would be at the top of my list. Even though people say it's bland, I find the styling quirky and almost European, which is appealing.
  • klossfamklossfam Member Posts: 7
    I think you are confused - the button in photo 11 of 18 is for the windshield "de-icer" grid...

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/MediaNav/articleId=122707/firstNav=Gallery/- photoId=65114
  • lonestar98lonestar98 Member Posts: 48
    Klossfam is right...That button on the left is the de-icer not the defogger.
  • 204meca204meca Member Posts: 369
    From the time I first spotted a Rondo about a month before its official introduction, I knew Kia had designed a uniquely pratical and functional vehicle. I helped one of my employees purchase one about a year ago & it has lived up to expectations. Way to go Kia!
  • nissan_rocksnissan_rocks Member Posts: 7
    12 month/20000 is not a whole lot to go on for reliability honestly, how about a least 3 years. This test should be renamed "short term reliability". Not to many brands give headaches in their first year.
  • bgwbgw Member Posts: 116
    I agree that 12 months is not generally long enough, but tell that to my Civic Si that needed 13 trips to the dealer in the first 6 months, for varying problems, and several dozen more trips over the next 3 yrs I owned it.
    My 07 Rondo, however, has only needed oil changes.
    But yes, a test of more than 12 months would be very informative.
  • hhsohnhhsohn Member Posts: 1
    little too blah for me... I'd rather take the Mazda5 over this one.
  • drjjjjdrjjjj Member Posts: 25
    My folks bought a 2007 Rondo LX 2.4 and have 138,000 miles on it. I've done much of the service and this car has been the most reliable to date vs other Japanese model we've had! There was a re-call for the drivers airbag spring and Kia flip the bill on that one with over 100k on the clock! Brakes have worn very well, paint is still good and I mean nothing has gone wrong!! We now have a noisy strut up front but hey 138k on the clock so no worries!
    Well done Kia, this was a sleeper best buy too in 07-only $15,000 new includes stability controls, 3400lb weight/safety, 5dr practicality, decent MPG and I'm impressed with the Engineering/components. Re-sale not the best of course, so we'll continue to drive but no worse than the others given the low entry cost! We sold a used RAV for $15k with 60k mi on it, bought this new for the same price and couldn't be happier! The Koreans have arrived! Picky Engineer PS: get under one and look at the robust components!