Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pain Point?

2»

Comments

• Options
    boaz47boaz47 Member Posts: 2,747
    I never thought I would be interested in a small slow car but I have found that the economy showed me that the car simply wasn't all that important anyway. I could live with a small city car as long as I didn't intend to travel any real distance in one. But city cars only need to be comfortable for maybe 100 miles. So in that regard I have changed but if they came up with an alternative fuel source or high mileage mid sized car I would be very interested. But I would even give up a city car if we had a good public transportation system or light rail in our state. That is one direction in which I have changed. I took the Metro Rail into LA a few times and it was one of the most relaxing rides into the City I have ever had. Had it been available when I worked in LA I would have never driven as a commuter.
  • Options
    andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,690
    Isn't the Echo actually pretty quick with a stick shift?
  • Options
    gagricegagrice Member Posts: 31,450
    I agree. I can drive most any little beater for running errands and even short trips to San Diego 30 miles away. In fact when I go shopping I would just as soon not have a nice car as door dingers drive me crazy. If I am headed to Phoenix or Las Vegas and points beyond I like the comfort & safety of a larger vehicle.

My closest point to catch the Trolley is 13 miles from home. Or an hour on the milk run bus with only 4 chances per day. If you miss the bus it is a $50 cab ride.
  • Options
    nippononlynippononly Member Posts: 12,555
    Yup, the stick shift Echo has a 0-60 time of 8.5 seconds, so pretty quick for an econobox. The automatic was about 2 seconds slower and 15% less fuel-efficient to boot.

They are reporting this morning that the trade deficit jumped enormously in October, primarily due to massive increases in oil imports. So clearly things are not so bad that people can't buy lots more gas at $2, and $2 is WELL below the pain point!

2014 Mini Cooper (stick shift of course), 2016 Camry hybrid, 2009 Outback Sport 5-spd (keeping the stick alive)

• Options
    Now there you have a good point. Taking the Tahoe or even my PT, before I sold it, to the mall was always a difficult experience. But with an econobox who cares? I thought about getting a Aveo or Corolla or Civic just for such trips. But my little Pontiac 4 banger gets along just fine and so there is no reason to get a new car. No sub compact is an upgrade and I don't need a mid sized car while I have the Tahoe and an old compact. But public transportation isn't readily available where I live unless you consider Dial-A -Ride. I tend to cycle more places now and 10 to 20 miles is getting pretty easy.
  • Options
    fezofezo Member Posts: 10,384
    Yeah, an Echo can move - and, heck, a Corolla these days does OK.

Funny thing with that old Sentra. It was small but it was comfortable. I'd drive it from South Jersey to Maine. The only problem was getting it up to speed. Once there it was fine and with the stick you could manage passing a slowpoke.
    2015 Mazda 6 Grand Touring, 2014 Mazda 3 Sport Hatchback, 1999 Mazda Miata 2004 Toyota Camry LE, 1999.
  • Options
    It is those cross state journeys that make me take the Tahoe. There are time when I get out on a long freeway like the 10 going through Texas or the 40 through New Mexico where the captain chair type of seats and cruise control make life a lot easier. I tend to not be effected by the wind as much on 40 or the rain groves on 10 like I do in a small car. I always thought they should put a cable down the middle of the lane on parts of ten so when you put the car in cruise control you could simply sit back and let the vehicle track down the road for 200 miles at a time. To tell the truth a new Accord or even a Camry isn't bad on such a road but a Corolla will tire you out a bit. I have gone 600 miles in the Tahoe and been just about as rested as if I had spent the day in my living room watching TV. After 300 miles in my sons old, 2001, Civic we both would have to get out of the car and stretch and let the blood return to our "hinter" regions.

Still I hardly ever drive my Tahoe locally and I only drive my 4 banger when I have to. Because of that I believe at least my family has changed.
This discussion has been closed.