Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

NASCAR!

snapcracklepopsnapcracklepop Member Posts: 111
How do you think things are going to end up? I am really liking Kurt and I think he is moving in the right direction for a strong win. I am thinking there could be a huge win for the Dodge team this weekend! What does everyone think about this weekends race?

Comments

• Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Are you referring to NASCAR? Please be more specific in your details as there is all kinds of racing besides NASCAR! :)

-mike
  • Options
    Hey! Sorry about that Mike. I am referring to NASCAR. I recently started watching the races and I really like it. Still learning but I have been routing for Kurt Busch and the Dodge team. Was hoping to see everyones favorites!
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    No worries, I figured you meant NASCAR :)

I guess my fav is Tony Stewart cause he wins the road courses which is the only ones I watch. :)

-mike
  • Options
    He did well this past weekend. 7th place! My man Kurt Busch came in 26th and is in 7th place overall. I am really pulling for him and his Dodge! Any thoughts on this weekends race? It should be really exciting!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Ford Racing Unveils Mustang Built for NASCAR Duty (Straightline)

The Mustang will run its first race at Daytona in July.

(and yeah, we tweaked the discussion title to make it more encompassing for all NASCAR news).
  • Options
  • Options
    (link)
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Wow... kind of quiet around here, so...

Way to go Jeff! :D
  • Options
    sportscarfan1sportscarfan1 Member Posts: 7
    Just an open question about something I've noticed and a few fans have told me they noticed but haven't brought it up on the forums yet: Has it ever bothered anyone else that the brands of the cars in NASCAR really don't have much relevance to the street cars? I mean, I used to watch nascar a lot (now just a few times a year) and it's really fun most of the time, but it's always nagged me that the Chevys (Chevies?), Dodges, Toyotas, etc. are all essentially the same car with different stickers.
  • Options
    tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    They surely are nothing like street cars! NASCAR has pretty strict rules for various specs so they can't stray from that. Not exactly like the old days. :)
  • Options
    Ford v. Chevy.

And NASCAR is trying to get back to where the cars at least resemble the ones you buy in the showroom.

"Also last year, Nascar began a concerted effort to bring brand loyalty back to the track, by putting more "stock" into the stock car. The move began quietly when Nascar started using biofuels, because biofuels are in vogue at gas pumps. Next came the announcement that Nascar would debut electronic fuel injection at this year's Daytona 500, since that is the technology in consumer vehicles. Finally, Nascar announced a complete redesign of its racing cars. Starting in 2013, they will once again resemble street-legal ones."

Now This Is a Rivalry: Ford vs. Chevy (WSJ)
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    First time ever.

Daytona 500: Rain postpones race to Monday for first time in history (washingtonpost.com)

Naturally the weather was perfect last Sunday, the traditional day of the race.
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    It WAS kinda funny to flip back to Fox at about 4PM and watch them struggle to figure out what they were going to talk about since they used up all their filler by then :shades:
  • Options
    I would have thought that the woman driver talk would have filled up 8 hours all by itself.
  • Options
    Maybe it's the ticket cost, the cost to get to the track, the boring cars, the boring drivers. Whatever it is, attendence (and sponsorship) is down.

"Nascar, the nation's richest and most popular form of motorports, has experienced a fall-off so steep in recent years that the roaring ambitions of the past have been throttled down.

After a prolonged skid that many blame on the economy, this was the year Nascar had hoped to bounce back. Then again, so was last year. Now, careening into this Sunday's championship showdown, the last race of the season, Nascar's losing streak is looking more serious. Fans, viewers and sponsors seem to be continuing a multi-year defection to other sports. Suddenly it's possible to imagine the once-rocketing sport sputtering toward a halt.

As Nascar gets safer, its halo of danger has faded somewhat. Drivers use a homogenized "Car of Tomorrow," with aerodynamics that make passing tougher and mechanicals that leave less room for personalization. Nascar historian Dan Pierce points out that stock-car racing has moved away from the time when the cars on the track were cars you could buy—and the cars are less relatable. "It was so much a part of growing up, out there in the yard, working on a car on a Saturday afternoon," Pierce said. "Now it's all computers."

Nascar's Leaky Fuel Tank (Wall St. Journal)
  • Options
    "Winning pole position at the Daytona 500 is a big deal for any driver, in part because it is the best-known race of the season and also one of the fastest. For this year’s pole sitter, Danica Patrick, it could mean more.

Her decisive qualifying victory with a speed of 196.434 miles an hour showed that she belongs in Nascar’s premier racing league and has the speed and skill to win the big season-opening race. She may even silence a few naysayers."

What Does Danica Patrick Winning the Daytona Pole Really Mean? (WSJ)
  • Options
    PF_FlyerPF_Flyer Member Posts: 9,372
    I've heard a lot of criticism saying she's all hype, but she can drive and drive fast. So many factors go into winning. Even the best driver has to cope with parts failing, unexpected incidents on the track. She's good enough to win at any time. I just wish they stop focusing on the "first female" angle. That's not even a factor in my mind any more. You either cross the line first or you don't.
  • Options
    "It started as Speedvision in 1996, became the Speed channel in 2002, and this August 17 it will be gone. Gone, that is, at least as a cable outlet dedicated to motorsports and gearhead obsessions.

News Corporation, the Rupert Murdoch-controlled media empire that has owned Speed channel outright since 2001, today announced that it will convert into a general sports coverage channel to be called Fox Sports 1 (FS1)."

Speed Channel Bites the Dust