Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Toyota Tundra EPA MPG ratings

carlcroutcarlcrout Member Posts: 1
edited July 2014 in Toyota
Why does the Toyota website show 14/17 for the 4.7 and 14/18 for the 5.7? How can the 5.7 deliver better mpg as it has way more torque,hp and a lower rear end ratio?

Are these the new (supposedly) more accurate EPA figures?

Comments

• Options
    rhoekwaterrhoekwater Member Posts: 1
    I believe the mpg differences are related to the fact that the 4.7L has a 5 speed transmission, while the 5.7L comes with a 6 speed.
  • Options
    jazzbeaujazzbeau Member Posts: 10
    ANOTHER REASON COULD BE THAT WITH 100 +/- HORSEPOWER WITH THE NEWER V,/8 THE ENGINE IS WORKING MUCH LESS TO PULL THE TRUCKS WEIGHT AND THEREFORE IT USES LESS GAS. :)
  • Options
    graylinergrayliner Member Posts: 39
    My 2000 2wd 4.7L access cab gets 19 mpg no problem. Maybe the truck is now heavier, did you check that out?
  • Options
    tommy1234tommy1234 Member Posts: 1
    I very much doubt that you are getting 19mpg with a 2000 model 4.7 V8 - unless of course you are driving downhill everywhere you go.

I owned the same truck for 2 years. I averaged 14.6 mpg on the hwy. Which was only about 50' above sea level. No Hills.
  • Options
    Welcome to edmunds forums tommy1234!
    Here's the governement window sticker EPA mileage link that says 18 mpg.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/calculatorCompareSideBySide.jsp?column=1&id=16132-

Maybe 1 mpg better is way out of line as time passed, I don't know. Could've ham fisted the calculater buttons maybe too - I guess. Not too worried as I have a '91 Toyo pickup with the 4 cyl 22re now.

79K miles, just broke in! Tundras are great trucks though.
  • Options
    mikonmikon Member Posts: 7
    FYI, I just completed a 6500 mile trip to/from Texas. Drove 75 mph typical on Interstate and did ~95 mph for ~2 hours of the 4-month trip. My 2000 SR5 4.7 liter V-8 averaged 17.7 mpg over the whole trip. I carried about 1250 lbs load at all times and did considerable off-roading in West Texas hill country. (Ran circles around two 2006 Chevy trucks by the way.They kept hanging up because of lower ground clearance.) Around Lake Tahoe (6000-6500 ft. altitude) I routinely get 17 mpg, but it has been as high as 20.5 mpg. Most of my driving is in the 60-80 mph range.
  • Options
    Sounds like you had a great trip mikon. I used to 4-wheel around the Pacific Northwest a lot. There's a ton of mountain roads. But I really seldom needed it. I got through everything with 2wd and only got stuck in a 4wd. Couldn't resist going where I shouldn't have.

My 2wd Tundra never failed me.

Wished I had a 4wd Tundra once- towing a trailer up a gravel hill to a MX track once. That was nasty.Toyota sponsors MX and Supercross events, and that aint nasty.
  • Options
    eric70eric70 Member Posts: 2
    I've pulled a lot of 4x4 trucks out with a 2. i too get buy with a 2 wheel drive.recently bought an 02 tundra browsing to see what issues I'm in for.
This discussion has been closed.