Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Rogue Real World MPG

Comments

• captain2captain2 Member Posts: 3,971
    over the last 4 tanks - computer now reads 25.4 mpg and dte reading on fillup has been consistently over 400. Usual fillup is right at 16 gallons after driving something over 400 miles on that tank. Am also pleased with the 'car' at this point (7k on odometer)
  • tamoshantertamoshanter Member Posts: 33
    purchased 2008 rogue SL AWD 12/07 and currently have 29,000 on it. just came back from a weekend trip from VA to upstate NY (Albany - about 1200 miles RT with in town driving). fully packed, 4 adults and belongings, A/C running full blast, averaging about 65 (with my driving) to 75 (my 21 year old son driving), mostly highway, some traffic through philly and some stop and go while in Albany for 2 days.
    averaged 26 mpg (+/- 2 mpg).
    continue to be extremely satisfied with vehicle.
  • srauhalasrauhala Member Posts: 2
    I bought my '08 Rouge SL AWD with a little over 6k miles on it. I have put about 1000 - 1500 miles on it since I got it. I have averaged 27.9 mpg according to the trip computer.

During the week I drive 30 miles each way to work. Approx 25 miles of that is on the highway. We do mostly city driving with it the rest of the time with some highway driving. I try not to be too aggresive with it at starts and I go approx 65-75 on the highway.
  • unresolvedunresolved Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2008 SL with awd. I reset the trip computer when I filled up yesterday morning. Going down the expressway at about 60 without the air the trip computer showed about 33 mpg. Is this possible? Before the reset the computer showed a consistent 23.9. Just wondering if anyone has a feeling for the accuracy of these numbers.
    have found the trip computer, speedometer, and odometers to all be accurate. All three should be checked to arrive at a corrected FE number as well as equalizing the actual gallons taken in a fill-up. 33 mpg on the highway is not likely something you'd see on a long highway drive but certainly possible as a misleading 'instantaneous' reading right after you reset the computer.
  • pitkeyspitkeys Member Posts: 18
    captain2 said...

" 33 mpg on the highway is not likely something you'd see on a long highway drive but certainly possible as a misleading 'instantaneous' reading right after you reset the computer. "

Have to disagree on that. We have never seen less than 31 on hwy and usually 33-35 mpg at 65-68 mph, SLAWD. AVID tires @ 38psi, no A/C, light load, no wind, little traffic, same pump, same fuel, no cruise. We do that consistently on the same 150 mile loop and have verified the ODO on a measured hwy patrol course.

And while we're doing that loop, the MPG gauge has never gone over 28.4.
  • phil53phil53 Member Posts: 54
    I have been comparing the 2008 Rogue SL AWD against the 2009 Forester Limited. The Forester actually has the Rogue beat on paper. Seat of the pants, though, the Rogue comes out ahead. I like the CVT and paddle shifters and it seems peppier than the Forester. Looks better too (except for that grill - ugh!).
    But this has been very valuable information. People I've talked to regarding the Forester claim 25 mpg or better. I've not heard anyone getting less - yet - on average. Going through all the posts pertaining to the AWD, it looks like they average out to about 23 mpg.
    Just for the record, my average daily commute is a little over 30 miles each way - about 70% hwy/30% suburban streets. When I travel, this vehicle would be fairly well loaded down (at times, I would need a car top carrier). I drive 70-80 on the interstate and about 5 mph over in town or on 2-lanes (yeah, I have a heavy foot). I don't act like I have an egg between my foot and the accelerator. I get up to speed quickly. Whatever tire pressure is posted on the vehicle or in the book is what I run. [Over-inflating can wear your tires prematurely down the center and a set of tires will easily off-set whatever little fuel you may save. Furthermore, it's not as safe, since you do not get the entire contact patch to the pavement and that's really all you have between you and disaster.]
    So I take all these things into consideration and figure I would come out on the lower end of the spectrum. I already have a 2004 Avalanche that gets 14-15 city and 17 highway (which I'm keeping). I need to improve on that considerably, as I'm getting rid of a 2000 Beetle TDI that gets about 42 mpg.
    Plus, I'm not encouraged by the person who is getting really poor mileage and can get no satisfaction from his dealer or Nissan. I think you've just tilted me in favor of the Forester. So thanks to everyone who contributed.
  • mlmcgaheemlmcgahee Member Posts: 102
    There is a set of chrome geill inserts you can get for the Rogue that realy makes the front end look sharp.

Thanks for the info. That does improve the looks. Where did you get those?
    I am still concerned about the fuel mileage though.
    did say 'not likely' - driving at a relatively tame 65 mph with hard tires and perhaps even nursing it a bit - I'll bite. My SL AWD is sitting right on 25 mpg overall right now (4 tanks) with about 60% of my mileage highway (albeit at a more 'normal' 75-80mph ;):blush: ). I'll agree that the new EPA numbers are quite easily beaten (especially on the highway) but still think that overall the 21/26 on the window sticker is about right for this vehicle - for most drivers in most conditions.
  • pitkeyspitkeys Member Posts: 18
    Agreed re the sticker MPG and current EPA methodology.

I was somewhat intrigued by the '09 Forester. We had a '97 and thought it was a fine ride. I've also had about five other Sube wagons since they started selling in the states and generally like the marque for where we live.

The '09 I drove was the 2.5 without the power upgrade as I don't want to be forced into premium fuel (I forget the actual model handle).

From a utilitarian standpoint I think the Sube may be a better choice since it has more cargo room. However, it measures a bit less ground clearance which is important here. I found it to be a dog upon entering the Interstate compared to my old '97. I think the 4-spd auto is way out of date and very dull to drive. Part of the allure to me of the Rogue is the seven speeds with the paddles. It also seemed doggy compared to the Rogue (with proper use of paddles, anyway).

I never gave the CRV serious thought as it doesn't seem what we want, although our Honda dealer (we have a FIT) is fairly decent.

The Rogue feels more fun to drive than either the Sube or RAV, although the RAV is OK for a utility.

Having had some pretty extensive experience with the RAV, I'd say it might be my first choice when/if they ditch the side opening gate...provided I wanted to pay more up front and have slightly worse MPG. But the RAV was no MPG hog. We consistently did about 25 overall. Given the V6 very handy power/acceleration, it has some advantages. From a utilitarian viewpoint we found it OK, too, especially with all the ways they pack in cubbies and cupholders. To us, the RAV has the most user-friendly cabin layout of anything in the class for day-to-day livability. However, we found it very uncomfortable on long trips with an annoying hobby-horse ride and seats that don't support very well.

It may very well come down to which brand has the best dealer experience. My son has an Outback and has not had good dealer experience, unfortunately, so I chose to stay away. But I do think the '09 Sube is an excellent choice. I just hope they bring it more up to date.

Re the hard tire thing: It's true that way over-inflation will cause excess center wear, but a Dunlop rep has told me that 3-5 lbs over the auto maker's sticker won't cause enough center wear to worry about. 45 lbs. probably would. And frankly the Rogue feels better at 5 lbs. over.

IMO, regarding tires, there is a serious ding against the Rogue: The OEM tires.

All the new ones around here are coming through with Continental 4x4 Contacts with only 6-8 tread depth. That's about 1/2 of what you'll get shopping for your own tires. The OEMs won't last very long. If one cares about that, then you need to crank in extra $$ for trading out of the Contacts at delivery. We recommend getting a quote on that before signing the papers.

So we suggest you measure tread on anything new you're tasting. It's a real PITA to have to shell out several hundred $$ in only a year or so for new tires.

Re the Rogue: Also be aware that there is an issue with paint scraping and wearing on the rockers under the doors. There could be a recall on that, but not so far. It is a problem on every one we've looked at and requires you do some work to preserve the paint. (If anyone is interested about that, check the NICO Rogue forum for pix and solutions).
  • mlmcgaheemlmcgahee Member Posts: 102
    The chrome grill inserts are a Nissan dealer part.mynissanparts.com I installed the kit myself. I also installed body side molding from SportWing and had my dealer install the rear spoiler.

As far as gas milage.... I bought my Rogue in November and now have 19500 miles on it. I work out of my Rogue and drive 300 - 400 miles a week. I am getting 25 - 26 MPG running 70% city and 30 % highway.
    Have to agree on the OEMs. My main concern is that they are very much a highway tire and don't even look like they'd be much use in the snow. The problem is, the tire size on the Rogue is a bit odd, so there aren't a lot of tire choices out there. About the only thing that doesn't qualify as a 'touring' tire is the Yokohama Geolander AT. And that's a bit more aggressive than I wanted to go on this vehicle. If I decide to buy the Rogue, though, I may do that. I'd really hoped for something in between, like the Michelin Cross Terrain
    On the clearance, though, the specs on the Edmunds web site says the Forester has more clearance than the Rogue.
  • kenn2kenn2 Member Posts: 11
    13000 miles on my Nissan Roug AWD
    I have complained about the gas milage since the start, Nissan Service Dep. stated since there was no trouble light on the dash panel there was nothing wrong with the car.
    Long story short, my Rouge is now at Nissan getting the transmition replaced.
    stated since there was no trouble light on the dash panel there was nothing wrong with the car
    how stupid this sounds! - we're degenerating into a bunch of mindless idiots that look to a silly computer for answers to everything - and your Nissan Service techs are apparently in front of the line!
    Ultimately this sounds logical though - if your tranny is 'slipping' somehow (or if the tranny computer) is selecting gear ratios that are too high - FE would be effected. The question is, of course, why those 'trained' service techs wouldn't have been able to diagnose this with a simple test drive :confuse: It's not like Nissan hasn't built a CVT before.
    My Rogue (SL AWD) manages 25+ mpg overall (60% highway), runs great, and can turn as low as 2100 rpm at 70. Sorry to hear about your problems and would be interested to know if the tranny replacement is the real fix.
    I saved your reply and will let you know, I am hoping to get 25+ mpg as well.
  • goroad1goroad1 Member Posts: 2
    With our 3 week old loaded SL AWD Rogue our worst Hwy mileage was 25mpg driving somewhat agressivly around 65-70 mph.
    Driving in light traffic 55-60mph (DC Area) I averaged 29.2mpg,,keeeping the RPM's below 2k really made a difference in the mileage and possibly the engine and drive train breaking in as well.
    Thanks; that's good information. Around here (KC area), 65-70 isn't really seen as aggressive - unless you're in a 55 zone. 60 to 70 is the speed limit on most highways. Driving to work, I generally run 70 -75 on the highway portions of my commute. But 25 mpg isn't bad. That's about what I'm hearing about the Forester too.
    I am also seeing 25+ mpg overall (SL AWD) - about 60% highway and also at higher (75+) highway speeds. The engine turns right at 2200-2300 rpm at 70. Have a friend with a 06 Forester and he averages about the same albeit with a higher percentage highway. Think that overall the Rogue does a bit better FE wise and is a bit quicker acceleration wise all probably because of the CVT.
  • lindaw2lindaw2 Member Posts: 12
    I've had my 2008 Rogue for about 2 weeks and do almost all city driving. I am getting 23MPG's. Maybe that is as good as it is going to get without the highway miles?
    although your FE should improve very slightly as the engine 'loosens up' I would tell you that 23 mpg overall in the City is quite good.
    That is quite interesting. This is actually the first time I've seen any evidence that the Rogue gets better fuel mileage than the Forester. I agree that, with the CVT (vs. the 4AT), the Rogue should get better fuel mileage than the Forester. I can tell you that it does seem to accelerate better and shifts (with the paddles) very quickly and crisply. The transmission is probably the Forester's weak point. Thanks.
    an aside - it is that 'electronically controlled/ learning ' Forester tranny that he had to take back to the dealer to get reprogrammed - the car was developing a helluva hesitation problem. The TSB did work though, haven't heard any further complaints.
  • medcookmedcook Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2008 Rogue 3 days ago in Colorado and the first 400 miles I got 25-26 mpg. Then I filled up in KS and it plummeted to 13-15 mpg. At 700 miles I filled up again and it still only got 13-15 mpg for the next 80 miles driven. Everyone's reviews I read about says they get from 23-28 mpg. I drive 17,000 miles per year with 2/3 of those miles on the highway. I can't take a hit on my gas budget like this. Any ideas on what is wrong and what I need to do about it? Thanks.
  • nickmatinenickmatine Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2008 Rogue SL AWD 5 days ago in Montreal and for the first 900 miles I got 25-26 mpg (US). Same hils, about 95% highway at 70 highway speeds
    A/C on
    cruise control used about 50% of the trip
    That is perplexing. You don't have the OD turned off do you? Or does yours have that feature? Even that should not account for the drop you're seeing. Maybe the difference in fuel (are you running 10% ethanol?), but again, you should not see that big of a reduction. I'd suggest you check with your dealer, but previous posts have led me to believe that would be futile. Go back through the string and you'll see one or two posts similar to yours (although not so extreme). My personal conjecture is that there's a 'glitch' in the CVT and/or fuel management programming. But, since it's evidently not throwing a code or lighting a light on your dash, the dealers aren't doing anything about it. There is a sequence for resetting the computer, but I'm not sure what it is. It's something obtuse like, disconnect the battery and turn the key to the 'on' position 6 times. And I don't know what other effects that might have, so not sure I would recommend it without talking to someone more in-the-know than I am. Still, it won't hurt to register your complaint. If enough people do so, maybe Nissan will do something about it.
    Quite frankly, posts like these are one reason why I've chosen to focus on the Forester. While there is some disparity in mileage returns on that thread, no one has reported anything like this or the issues one or two other have seen. Everyone over there is getting 20 to low 30s, depending on driving style, speed, type of traffic, terrain and road conditions - which is within the realm of reason. Aggressive stop and go city traffic versus steady state highway cruising makes a big difference in these little 4 cylinders.
    The only decision for me now is whether to go with Forester or go with a mid-size sedan - the Malibu LTZ. The Bu does not offer the utility or AWD of the small SUV, but it does offer much better mpg (33 mpg highway with the 4 cyl, 6AT) and even better creature comforts than either the Rogue SL or Forester Limited. I even like it better than the Altima 2.5 SL and the Altima is a very nice car.
    So, I probably won't hang around this thread much longer. But I do appreciate all the good information I've gathered.
    Good luck to you.
  • medcookmedcook Member Posts: 2
    No, the overdrive is not turned off. I have driven it mostly highway for another 75 miles and now it is registering 20 mpg. That is much better than what I was getting, but I am still hoping to get back to the 25 mpg I had during the first 400 miles. As far as the rest of it goes, I think my 2.5 SL AWD Rogue has nearly all of the amenities my 2006 Altima 3.5 SL had. The one thing I am finding I really miss, though is no automatic headlights that turn off or climate control AC. The leather seats are very nice and are heated like the Altima. The biggest difference is my Altima got 30+ mpg on the highway and combined mpg was around 24. I really detest the break in period on a new vehicle. The other thing is, my husband has a tendency to go 80 mph on the highway, which coupled with crosswind probably kept me from getting very good mpg on the last half of my trip (I am guessing). I am sure he won't slow it down without an argument. He is also having a little trouble getting used to the CVT transmission, as he always loved to shift the Altima himself, although it was an automatic. Anyway, right now it seems there isn't any consistency to the mpg, so I will just have to keep an eye on it. I did register a complaint with Nissan, however. Thanks for your response, Phil.
    I too have a bit of a heavy foot, so I've been taking that into consideration as I read these posts. The Rogue SL I drove had paddle shifters on the steering wheel, which would force the CVT to emulate a 6 speed. Interestingly, I noticed that when I shifted it out of that mode into full automatic at highway speed, it would actually shift to an even higher ratio than the "6th" gear of the manual mode, which means you need to be in "D" when crusing on the highway to get the best mileage. I will say this about the CVT in the Nissan, be it Rogue or Altima, it feels more like a 'normal' automatic than the unit Ford puts in the Escape/Mariner twins. I was also disappointed that they had no climate control. In fact, I would really prefer a dual zone. I have it in my truck; I'd think these vehicles would have that feature. Good luck with the mileage thing.
    which means you need to be in "D" when crusing on the highway to get the best mileage
    apparently true - have observed 70 mph to be at approx 2200 rpm if the tranny is left in 'D' BUT over 2500 rpm in '6th' a significant difference that logically would effect FE. The CVT while it does take some getting used to, is phenomenally smooth in the Rogueand cetainly 'smoother' than any AT I've ever had in any car - really don't understand why anybody would want to paddle shift it - after all it is no 'sports car' and overiding the computer gear 'selections' hurts FE???
  • tamoshantertamoshanter Member Posts: 33
    just finished driving RT to Washington DC along I-95 about 300 miles. most of the trip, caught the "draft" of trucks. would not recommend this to everyone unless you have nerves of steel, quick reactions and someone to watch for state troopers to make sure that you don't get caught tailgating. but averaged about 30-34 mpg going about 70 mph. (don't know how truckers feel about this...having a little Rogue trailing them closely).
  • bdymentbdyment Member Posts: 573
    Well, truckers don't like tailgaters at all. If I were you I would stay away from truck stops. Seriously this is a very dangerous practice.
    If I were you I would stay away from truck stops
    yeah, no kidding - I think that those same truck stops might also have a different definition of 'justifiable homicide' ;)
    'drafting' (to be truly effective) requires that one follow any vehicle much too closely to be safe! They can and do write tickets for this kind of thing?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    don't know how truckers feel about this...having a little Rogue trailing them closely

In addition to that little Rogue being a danger and an annoyance, any fuel savings that you might get out of it is coming at the expense of the trucker. It's tough enough for those guys to stay in business without having to shell out extra cash from their own pockets just so you can feel good about cutting your own fuel costs. Moreover, the rest of us end up paying more for the products they deliver. There is no free lunch.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "In addition to that little Rogue being a danger and an annoyance, any fuel savings that you might get out of it is coming at the expense of the trucker."

I have not heard of this. The big rig is going to generate the suction behind the vehicle regardless - the same suction with a drafter as without. There is no magical connection back to the big rig, is there? Where did you read this?

My understanding is that the drafter is entering into the suction zone where the air came off the big rig. But that zone is always present...

The truck drivers don't like it because people follow too closely, and the drivers can't see them in the mirrors.
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    The big rig is going to generate the suction behind the vehicle regardless - the same suction with a drafter as without.

I'm afraid not. Flow patterns are changed and the truck has to do extra work. The notion of a perpetual motion machine still doesn't fly. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • mtnxtrememtnxtreme Member Posts: 9
    My Rogue, which is abt. 6 months old has been stuck on 23.7 MPG going uphill, downhill, city, hwy. etc. since the day I purchased it. Anyone running into this problem. Should I bring in for service, are most of you using these gauges for the mpg you are posting, or figuring manually?
  • mx6bfastmx6bfast Member Posts: 11
    I'd bring it in if I were you. Mine changes constantly and has been anywhere from .2 manual miles off to 1.4.
    MY NISSAN SUCKS
    gas like it is going out of style.

NISSAN SERVICE DEPT SUCKS,
    they acted like they could not heare the noise in my CVT, until it finnally needed replacement, now my AC knocks, they act like they cannot hear that as well.

NISSAN CUSTOMER SERVICE DEPT SUCKS,
    wen the dealer service dep did not acknowledg there was a problem with my MPG, they called the service dept that said 17mpg was normal on freeway and then called me an repeated what the mechanic told me.
    since then we found out my car needed a new transmition

NISSAN SUCKS, CUSOMER SERVICE SUCKS, THEY DO NOT CARE IF YOU HAVE ISSUES WITH YOUR CAR AND THEY WILL TRY TO IGNORE MECHANICAL ISSUES UNTIL YOUR WARRANTY IS EXPIRED.
    just 'converted' my 08 SL AWD to Pennzoil Ultimate 5W-20 last oil change. Overall mpg has gone from 25.1 to 26.8, which sounds good.... BUT over the 3750 oil change interval recommmended by Nissan (too short for synthetic?) I will save approx. 9 1/2 gallons of gas. Even at $4/gallon,. I only recover about $40, at $2 less than $20. Are syn oil change more than $20 o(or $40 more costly - yep. Theerfore, it would seem, based on my experience, that gas would have to get up near $6 to cover the cost difference using the synthetic (in FE) . Is the more expensive oil better for the engine otherwise - maybe?
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Nissan has a 3,750 change interval for the Rogue? Or is that a dealer recommendation?

My '99 Quest has a factory oil change interval of 7,500 miles, and it's kicking along at 129,000 miles using regular oil at that interval (or longer :blush: ).
    every 3750 or even worse for those that don't drive a lot - every 3 months. Unusual and quite excessive IMO - but I have a feeling that this all ties back to some oil consumption problems Nissan had back in 06 with the 2.5.
    Well, the Edmunds Maintenance Guide says the normal service oil change interval is 7,500 miles.

There's no time interval listed in our guide. Oil is so good these days it's hard to imagine changing it every 3 months unless the miles were up there.
  • nicewarnernicewarner Member Posts: 6
    talked to a local dealer before I bought my Rogue... he was telling me that while the manufacturer might say 7500 miles, the dealer will "recommend" something far lower, like the 3K or 3 months we are all used to hearing, since that is direct revenue generation. that is the general reply I got from most of the folks I know that are in the business.
    Follow the money. :)
  • nicewarnernicewarner Member Posts: 6
    current mileage: 7204
    Purchased in April of 08.
    SL AWD, all options.
    did a full tank on the highway going up through Ohio and back home to Kentucky, averaged 27.6 MPG figured manually. trip computer was saying 28.3.
    average over last 3 tanks of normal driving, 60% in town and about 40% highway averaged 24.2. I have had no issues with the vehicle and the AWD has been nice in the rain as it feels very secure. oh, and I drive moderate.. not a heavy foot, but not feathering it either.
  • lonfranklonfrank Member Posts: 4
    @60mph on interstate=30+/-mpg. around-town 26+. mobil 1 (their top premium, 15,000mi) 40psi in continental tires. great car BUT it's my wife's. lon frank
  • crkyolfrtcrkyolfrt Member Posts: 2,345
    edited July 2010
    Well, I read entire post and he never did answer your (what I also felt were good and valid) questions.

The Rogue does seem to get quite consistent mileage given the variables of interpreting the varying driver habits and terrain and season etc. If one is drastically different than the other, then usually it could be traced to a bad sensor somewhere, or even as drastic a measure as a tranny problem. He mentioned he was going to have his replaced. But a simple answer to even your one question of how many rpms did his car show in OD at 70 mph would have garnered up at least some credibility with the complaints to the car and help substantiate if he actually owned one.
  • shilohduffeyshilohduffey Member Posts: 16
    We have 2 '10 Rogue FWD SL's, one which is largely driven within a short radius of home, the other a bit more on freeways. The "local" one gets around 20 mpg around town, the "express" about 22 overall. Both are under EPA estimates of 22/27 ... not that it's a big issue; Nissan didn't conduct the tests, the government did ... and you know how that goes!
  • usedtodrivevwusedtodrivevw Member Posts: 4
    I've had my 2010 Rogue for a little over 6 mos. Getting from 24 to 26 MPG city and highway. Live in Canada and see a drop to very bottom end during winter, but easy top end of that in summer with highway driving...
  • stevedebistevedebi Member Posts: 4,098
    "I've had my 2010 Rogue for a little over 6 mos. Getting from 24 to 26 MPG city and highway. Live in Canada and see a drop to very bottom end during winter, but easy top end of that in summer with highway driving... "

Would that be imperial or US gallons?