Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

4wd and abs problem

soilordirtsoilordirt Member Posts: 4
I have a 95 suburban K1500 4wd with 182,000 miles on it. I went to trade it in recently and dealer didn't want to give me much for it because abs light was on (I knew this) and 4wd didn't work (I didn't know this). I thought the 4wd problem might be the actuator but on replacement, it still didn't work. I then found that when 4wd lever is engaged, no lights came on inside vehicle indicating it was on, but one line to actuator did become hot. I then started thinking that the abs problem could cause the 4wd to not work. Is that possible? I noticed that there is a wire to 4wd from abs.

I then found out that the ABS codes were 26, 27, 12, 25, and 68. 25, 26, and 27 codes indicated left front wheel sensor. 12 indicated 2wd without brakes applied and 68 indicated motor connector. Any suggestions on this?

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    Did you check the obvioius left front wheel sensor?

I'd replace that, then clear all the codes and see what pops up next.

Those problems are obvious deal killers, but I wouldn't expect much anyhow on a sale....so you need to be careful just how much you put into it to fix up. That's high miles, on an old large SUV, with high gas prices and low mpg. That market is VERY soft.

I just traded a 97 Sub for a 2007 Sub, but much less miles and mint condition. Even then, some dealers didn't want it on their lot (don't blame them with a 10 year old boat), and they would just wholesale it out. Found one dealer in a different market area which had a different clientale in that geography, and they were interested to deal.

I think you are going to have to work it a while to get what you think is a fair price.
  • soilordirtsoilordirt Member Posts: 4
    How do you go about checking the sensor other than spending $100 and replacing it? Is there a way of checking the sensor out? Also, do you have any idea where the motor sensor would be located?
    Check the wiring first, to see if there is any corrosion or the wire is broken or frayed.
    026 is sensor circuit open of speed signal missing, 027 is left front signal erratic.

The sensor should have a resistance, that changes with temperature. At -40 to 40F, should be 1575 to 2950 ohms. Above 40F should be 1980 to 3450 ohms. If you have the correct resistance, wiggle the wire to see if you loose the resistance.
  • soilordirtsoilordirt Member Posts: 4
    I've tested the left front and found infinite resistance. Just to make sure, I tested the right front and found 1150 ohm. I'm guessing that this makes sure that I need to replace left front. I'll see about getting this done and update you.
    Yep......it's bad.
  • skankyfrankieskankyfrankie Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 K2500 suburban with ABS codes 13, 81, 86 . You seem to know what the codes are, do you have these or even better do you have the whole list or know where I can get it? I have the ABS light coming on at 16-18 mph and my cruise also stopped working at the same time.
  • kswiss8879kswiss8879 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 2005 tahoe, and the message keeps coming up saying to "service 4wd" what is that all about and how would i even fix that. i bought it used and it had 32,000 mi on it in dec/2006, now it has 75,000 mi. any info will be gratelly appreciated.
  • chevydaddychevydaddy Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2005 Chevy Tahoe Z71. I have recently started getting a "Service 4WD" indicator on the instrument cluster. Does anyone know if the same fix for the defective 1999-2002 Transfer Case Selector Switch will work with the '05 model?

Thank you,