Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 535i vs Lexus GS 350 vs Audi A6

2»

Comments

• Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Actually, there really is no need to post this in so many places. People tend to read all discussions about vehicles which interest them, so you don't have to worry about it being seen.

Since this is a specific vehicle comparo, let's ask anyone who can respond to so at this link asteinberg, "BMW 5-Series Sedans" #12442, 29 Mar 2008 6:47 pm instead of in this discussion.

Thanks!
  • Options
    asteinbergasteinberg Member Posts: 138
    Thank you, Pat.
    I find these discussions very helpful, and I've recommended them to many friends.
    Leasing a car means I'll likely be with it for 2 or 3 years; buying it for more.
    I think it's worth the time to get the one right for me.
  • Options
    usp357usp357 Member Posts: 3
    I thought I would add my 2 cents to this forum as I recently went through the same mental anguish of what to do when my '06 530ix lease was expiring this month. I looked at replacing with the 528ix, the A6, or the GS350 AWD. The A6 was out because I just couldn't get past how dated the car looked from both the inside and outside. I know they freshened up the A4 but I didn't want to get stuck with a A6 if a new design was going to be coming up in the first year of my lease. It then came down to the BMW or the Lexus.

The fact is that for the same price, the GS comes with a lot more toys than the BMW. You would think for the money, the BMW would come with xenon lights, keyless access, ventilated seats, and a few more things but only if you start checking off boxes at the dealer (not even sure BMW has ventilated seats). Also, the paint on the Lexus is far, far better than on the BMW. The reliability of the BMW came into question because my 530 did die on me once when heavy rains caused a short circuit that fried the electronics. Good thing for the warranty because I saw that the dealer charged BMW about $7,000 for the repairs. Would be horrified if I bought the car outright after the lease expired. My friend's 7 month old 528i also died on him as he was driving. Fortunately, he was able to pull over on the shoulder before his transmission failed. A new car at this price point should never, ever leave you stranded.

In the end for me it came down to ride and the fact that I have young kids. Everytime I pushed my 530ix, my wife for raise eyebrows. That being the case, what's the point of having a superior handling car if I can't flog it? That then led me to the GS which for someone who wants a lot of luxury and quiet, it's hard to beat. True the BMW handles infinitely better but the GS is much smoother and quieter. Also, for flat out straight line acceleration, the GS easily trounces the 528. So in the end, not a bad deal.
  • Options
    addamsaddams Member Posts: 74
    Same mental anguish . My list is 08 535i, 08 GS350 or a used next year 09 G37 sedan. I'm giving my wife my 02 Altima 3.5SE. Need something for some traveling we want to do when i retire in a few years. I've got $40,000 to spend from a small windfall.
  • Options
    roverlooker1roverlooker1 Member Posts: 4
    I just closed on another 3 yr lease on my second A6 4.2. Before re-upping,I drove a few in the class and a few out of class-Range Rover Sport Suprer-charged, Infiniti FX 50S. They are fun vehicles as was the 48 X5 and the 5-Series. It's boring to go back to the same instrumentation, etc. The upside of the A6 is what a fun car it is to drive, particularly under the most extreme (and fun) conditions, and I've never felt safer in a car. I'm no youngster, but in the 4.2 no one knows. Only wish one didn't have to trade the shifting paddles on the steering wheel for the cold package...we can use that package here in Chicago. BTW, my thanks to Car_man for all his help in allowing me to research a lease. His help was invaluable.
  • Options
    jdritzjdritz Member Posts: 7
    Bimmer was just out of range by the time it came comparably equipped to the GS350 AWD. And those damned cupholders. I drive 35 miles one way to work and drink coffee in the car EVERY day. It' s not like I need those things sometimes or once in a while. I needed a car and the new supercharged A6's weren't out yet. So between the deal I got (17K less than the 535xi comparably eqiupped) and the cupholder nonsense, the Lexus won out.

6500 miles. No real complaints. Very good in the snow. Fast...a little too fancy schmancy with the wood and whatnot. The nav system is less than perfect. But all in all, I'm satisfied. Oh...and rain sensing wipers are about the least useful thing I've ever experienced.
  • Options
    addamsaddams Member Posts: 74
    How's the dash sounds so far in the GS?
  • Options
    jdritzjdritz Member Posts: 7
    Started out good. Then got cold out. Lots of creaking and sounded like the glass would flex and the dash wouldn't (or vice versa). There is a TSB to apply a "noise kit" and that has solved that problem.
  • Options
    mobiusf1mobiusf1 Member Posts: 15
    I drove both the GS350 and 535xi, and other cars in the segment and easily picked the 535xi which I was fairly confident I was going to pick earlier. M35x, although the 2nd best performer I drove (really enjoyed driving it), is still slightly behind the 535 in terms of performance, the build quality was also lacking in addition to a lack of split folding rear seats (kinda important to me, gives a huge increase in practicality), and not so great gas mileage. A6 looks nice, has a great interior (except for strange omission of auto steering wheel adjustment unless they changed that) and costs a bit less than the 535xi (only the A6 V6 version); but definitely exhibited more body roll in the corners than the 535xi and weaker overall performance

The 535's engine is simply awesome, its a twin-turbo inline 6, with stronger performance than Audi's V8, and better fuel economy. And the cost advantage for the Audi only comes with the A6's V6 engine.

MB E Class, forget about it, a joke, and it costs more than the 535, at least the Lexus has a price argument. Lexus GS350, sorry, no way. Its steering is numb compared to the 535xi, noticeably more body roll in the corners, and headroom seemed to be an issue. I don't really need to go into any more about it because if the performance is not there than the other stuff doesn't matter. For others though, this may not matter as much. Lexus and Mercedes Benz don't make cars that fit my idea of enjoyable driving. The 535 is a true sports sedan and I certainly can't say that about the GS350. The iDrive, while it could be a bit more intuitive, is not that bad, and is not a deal breaker by any stretch. In fact I don't mind it at all. And no, the cup holders were not even a consideration, haha.

This is an honest opinion, no bias, if Lexus made a GS model like their own IS-F against the 535xi, then it would far more difficult.

Although the 535 has sharp handling, excellent road feel, fantastic engine performance and efficiency, I must also mention that the ride quality is excellent.

I could go into even more details but its late so here it is summed up in 1 simple sentence. If you want a floaty, relaxed (I would say boring) ride take the Lexus, if you want to drive, get the BMW ...and I love to drive.
  • Options
    eddie33081eddie33081 Member Posts: 19
    What do you guys think of the new A6 supercharged version. I was thinking of getting that instead of the 535i. I would be getting the plus version with sports package.

Let me know your opinions.

Thanks
  • Options
    flbimmerflbimmer Member Posts: 12
    live in fla, never missed the awd ever, and got better MPG
  • Options
    audibabe1audibabe1 Member Posts: 1
    I have an '04 audi a6 2.7 quattro and am being told my turbos are bad. I have heavy exhaust smoke and I cannot even drive the car because it smokes so bad. I took it to the dealer and they want to charge me about $3500 for the job. That is way more than I expected. I have been looking at turbos online and can get them for less. I think I am going with another mechanic but I would like names of other mechanics in the Philadelphia, Pa area. Help!!!
  • Options
    yoyo16yoyo16 Member Posts: 2
    Only problem here with the 5 Series is reliability. How long do you plan on owning the car? The cost for repairs throughout the years adds even more $ to the already high price tag of the BMW. Lexus is damn close on performance but BMW is no where near Lexus on reliability and overall quality. I'd prefer to drive my car instead of look at it on a lift in the shop.
  • Options
    jks24jks24 Member Posts: 69
    edited May 2014

Ive owned 10 Lexus cars/SUV's, and it does not compare to how I am treated or how many times the car is in repair as my 528i. Lexus is luxurious! Hands down! BMW is exciting to drive, but it is a hassle to be in the shop, crazy expensive to repair, and the service center barely will give me a loaner! Lexus-first class all the way and I like that. I currently own 2 BMW's, and 1 Lexus. I wish Lexus would make a sexy car-then their would be no question.