Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lincoln LS 3.9 engine problem

13»

Comments

• akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Thanks Steve. I think it's time to put somebody on the ignore list.
  • garthmangarthman Member Posts: 42
    I have a 2001 (Aug-2000) LS8 Sport with 59,000 original miles. sounding like it's time for secondary timing chain tensioners. Some say the revised tensioners are the same for all 3.9 engines. I'm interested in knowing if this is true as the parts folks believe this might be true.

Also, I'm looking for the company that made the cold air intake for Brian when he was with LLSOC.com. The smog inspections are wanting to see a sticker on it so they can pass it through the smog rules. I have the receipt but there's no manufacture info on it or anywhere on the polished intake.
  • cmaxcmax Member Posts: 17
    I am going to ask a very ignorant question to some but here it goes.Why do you think you need secondary chain tensioners at 59,000.
  • teazie03lsteazie03ls Member Posts: 1
    Mannnnnn, I have a 03 LS V6 AND have the same problems. I got the car in 06, 75k, 2nd owner. Within a yr or so of obtaining this vehicle, 5 of 6 of my coil packs blew and when the 5th one blew it fried my cpu also. I never knew that so many ppl also have had these same problems and I am experiencing them again. Engine like coming on, miss firing again, engine light blinks sometimes. Please let me know if Ford or Lincoln resolve any of these things or reimburse for these problems. I would also like to be reimbursed for my car repairs since it was not from my driving or my own negligence and for our lives being at risk b/c of some greedy, uncaring ignorance. And in that instance, FoMoCo/Lincoln SHOULD have fixed this problem and not kept manufacturing these cars until the problem had a solution. I mean, I value my life and enjoy living. I for one have actually questioned my own safety in my car and the value of others when driving my LS before because i have had these same problems and symptoms in my car before. Should dont even let my lady drive it w/o me incase something happened while she drove. Sould we LS owners look into a settlement case and take this to court or is it even worth it for us? What does it take? Signatures, enough complaints, DEATH? Obviously there is a lot of this going down w/ our specific vehiciles and should not have to go through these problems. PLEASE KEEP ME INFORMED WITH ANY INFO → jteazie1@gmail.com ←
  • toomanyfumestoomanyfumes Member Posts: 1,019
    I checked into it when I had my LS, and I think Ford just covered replacing the coils on some V8 models.
    2012 Mustang Premium, 2013 Lincoln MKX Elite, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander.
    This car is almost perfect the only thing is a safety recall that had to do with the wheels falling off.The rest of the problems ford produced a lot of repair bulletins but no recalls that they felt obligated to stand behind apparently.Your wasting you time even the trained mechanics want to run.The coils and timing chain guides seem to be of low quality and probably the fact that (to my knowledge)no deaths were found to be caused by these issues,ford just walked away.If you like the car as i do just be prepared to pay a minimum of $500.00 plus at any time .If you do not get rid of it and move on,its not worth staying on the edge of your seat all the time. If you cannot afford another carat this time,just do the best you can and not stay upset.
    There's a slight noise in that area. Considering the age of the vehicle and the known tensioner problems that will develop, I trust the nylon is on it's way off of the metal plunger itself.
  • lividlsownerlividlsowner Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2013
    This is Livid LS owner and I finally got my nearly 10 year old problem fixed on my 2000 LS and it drives like a beauty. I am suing Ford/Lincoln for compensatory damages. I would love to sue for more like mental anquish, time, etc., but I'll settle for all my money back to fix a problem that should not have existed in the first place. ): Ford/Lincoln knowingly AND with careless disregard for the safety, financial welfare, vehicle engine reliability of the potential owner/operators DID manufacture, assemble, distribute, and sell 2000,01, & 02 Lincoln LS's with defective engine parts (including plastic substandard flimsy tensioners, primary chain guides, and cam chains) causing serious engine failures on many different occasions in the past 10 years for this owner. I have a name of a mechanic in Illinois who knows the fix so if any of you LS owners want his name, it will be available on public record after my lawsuit is over or I will provide his name then on this thread. The mechanic took his time researching to find the fix. He's reasonable too. Good luck all you LS owners. Piece of advice, do not allow mechanics to change your ignition coils valve cover gaskets, spark plug boot in hopes that will take care of your missing cylinder problems. Lincoln knew or should have known that defective tensioners, chain guides, and cam chains are the direct cause of the engine failures in this vehicle. Last piece of advice, don't listen to cmax on this thread he or she is a shill for Ford/Lincoln.
    What does your mechanic have to say about the intended fault assembly on chains etc?

My understanding is, if you catch the secondary chain tensioner failure before the nylon comes off, is wound through the 2ndary chain and sprockets (stretching the chain) then that crushed nylon drops down onto the primary chain and/or tensioners causing more chain and tensioner damages before all the residue ends up at the bottom of the front cover area. Some folks are lucky, the nylon comes off, does not grind past the 2ndary sprockets etc and free falls to the bottom of the front cover.

With that, the noise of the upper chain and tensioner are loud enough to alert the owner/driver something is wrong enough to no longer run the motor and seek repair. Those who aren't that lucky and both tensioners/chains are damaged, the resulting damage is from the pistons striking the valves bending them. Once that is done, the heads have to come off both side and the job is likely going to cost more than the vehicle is worth.
  • ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    There was NEVER a recall for the wheels falling off. The recall was for a possible wrong torque spec on a upper ball joint. The ONLY recall in the LSes production run.
    Why were they worried about the proper torgue?I have also heard of owners having the wheels fall off.
    They found out that the factory equipment and/or operator allowed some to leave the factory with improper torque specs so they had to check all of the ones produced in that timeframe to be safe.
  • iamdbldiamdbld Member Posts: 1
    Hey Livid - I am thinking of buying an 2002 with 135K miles on it. They did not say they had a coil problem but I'm worried it going to come up. How much was the fix by your mechanic? And how can I get his name/number in case I need him.
    My LS began its serious engine failure troubles which were misdiagnosed as coil problems at just over 50K mark. Yes, you should be worried. I can't discuss the facts of my car's history at this time due to pending litigation. Ask the owner(s) if they've ever had extensive engine work done on the vehicle and get a Carfax report on the vehicle. Have a legal professional write up a Bill of Sale with a clause committing the seller to any claims made about the vehicle concerning its repair history. Some states allow for refunds on a sale between private parties if the seller has misrepresented the item being sold. Check with your local state statutes. Good luck.
  • loco1126loco1126 Member Posts: 2
    My issue is the engine light keeps going on ..it went off for a little while but came back on how can I fix the issue with out getting the run around from mechanics
  • loco1126loco1126 Member Posts: 2
    My engine is jumping a little from time to time plus I'm having a electrical issue with my power windows and door locks I can only control them from my driver side door control..please help .
  • shanahdshanahd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 lincoln ls 3.0 v6 with approximately 113k on it. I have changed the egr pressure sensor, all spark plugs and coils, and o2 sensors. It is at the shop right now and the mechanic is stumped. He's done tests on the computer, the wires that control the injectors, the ignition coils, and the injectors themselves and said all were ok. However, the engine is not firing on the passenger side. What else could possibly be the problem?????? Please help!
    My first thought would be a wiring problem since it's likely all of the wires for one side come together somewhere before being combined with the other side going back to the PCM. Second thought would be the PCM but I don't understand why that would affect one side of the engine only. If you could get a spare PCM to swap that would tell you for sure. But I would start with the wiring between the coils and the PCM.
    My condolenscence, shanahd. My engine was doing the same thing for years with the same ole worthless repairs you've mentioned. However, since I had the these parts replaced no prob: plastic substandard flimsy tensioners, primary chain guides, and cam chains. My left side was misfiring for a long time and now it's smooth sailing no more chugging. The work is not cheap, but if you feel your vehicle is worth then, I have a mechanic who can do the work for you. Let me know, he's in Illinois. Lincoln really bit the big one on the LS's and they will not stand behind them not now or back when my car had much fewer miles. They knew the problem existed and have left we owners to our own devices suggesting that they have no responsibility to stand behind these engines even though so many are experiencing the same problems. I will never buy another Lincoln. I paid a premium for a luxury car and got Pinto quality in return.
  • jwflorida1jwflorida1 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased this car new in 2004. It was good for the first couple of years. When the car had 45,000 miles on it 3 coils went. It was still under warranty. At 65000 miles the rest of the coils went and it was not under warranty. In 2010 when the car was only 6 years old and had 92,000 miles on it the seals were leaking and the compressor on the AC went. There had been minor things as well during the 6 years that were annoying as well. I got rid of this car in 2010 as it was not worth fixing (Forgot to mention the Transmission was slipping as well). I did not drive this car hard and it was always serviced at the dealer,
    I had two Ford Products before this and they were great. Lincoln would have to come up with the best warranty out there before I would consider another one. I now have a Lexus and am very happy with the quality of it.
    Lincoln rushed the new LS model to market and left us holding the bag as far as working out the bugs at our own expense. It was wrong of them not stand behind their product (whether or not the warranty had expired because it's the engine failure that is the issue that we should not have had to experience on a luxury car at just over 50,000 miles for mine) not to mention it's a road hazard and NEEDS the attention from the transportation department there are too many on the road. I won't buy another Lincoln either and I won't buy a Japanese vehicle, either. A BAD car, INDEED!
  • 3_9scharged3_9scharged Member Posts: 1
    Hello I have a 2002 Lincoln ls that I am rebuilding. 3.9 8cyl laser iridiums or however its spelled. I have had the same issue, what I have noticed is there was oil on my spark plugs which cause the spark plugs to misfire. CHANGE YOUR VALVE COVER GASKETS that should cure your prob. while hes in there go ahead and replace your fuel pressure sensor/regulator and check All of your vacuum hoses IT MAKES A BIIIIIG GAS MILEAGE DIFFERENCE. Check ebay for parts.
    p.s.
    do a little forum research on the product that you find before purchasing
  • GER138GER138 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2019
    @lividlsowner - can you give me the name of your mechanic in Illionis? My 2001 LS is having the same problems you describe on your LS in all your posts

Thanks
  • BoostHoundGPBoostHoundGP Member Posts: 1

Lincoln rushed the new LS model to market and left us holding the bag as far as working out the bugs at our own expense. It was wrong of them not stand behind their product (whether or not the warranty had expired because it's the engine failure that is the issue that we should not have had to experience on a luxury car at just over 50,000 miles for mine) not to mention it's a road hazard and NEEDS the attention from the transportation department there are too many on the road. I won't buy another Lincoln either and I won't buy a Japanese vehicle, either. A BAD car, INDEED!

I have a 2000 ls v8 164000 miles. Owned it 8 years now. Drove it super hard for 3 years. When I say hard its at 7200 rpm and drifting sideways around a track. I have never had one issue. Ive crashed it multiple times, overheated multiple times, has no cats at all (manifolds only no o2 sensors) it has no windows and it sits outside in the rain. I left it for 5 years sitting on the ground without wheels on it. Recently went out and after a fuel pump from a toyota and draining the trunk of water its hanging at 7200 rpm once again after 5 years with no issues. Ive never changed plugs or coils and they're original. If its not believable I have video proof and multiple vids of the car on my Youtube channel. Search BoostHoundGP if you require proof.

I get the frustration with a lemon car, I have a backyard full of them. However its ignorant to pursue a company that didnt even design the engine. Ive always had the idea when buying an expensive car that its going to be high maintanence and expensive. After all its a jaguar engine.
  • BCraryRUSH2112BCraryRUSH2112 Member Posts: 2
    People should not talk about things they know nothing about. If you're so frustrated with the car that you have to resort to pointing fingers at the manufacturer and filing lawsuits because you believe the quality is not up to par, then stop bitching and whining and get something else for you to complain about. Welcome to mass production, where every manufacturer and every car is subject to problematic issues. I am a mechanic and a darn good one and I have seen very poor engineering in lots of cars, Kia and Hyundai especially, but I won't sit on here and complain about it. It is what it is and you either deal with it or you don't. But please do not go off and talk like you know about the way an engine works when you know absolutely nothing only what your so called mechanic claims. I have met a lot of ASE certified mechanics that don't even know what they're talking about. Fact is, if Ford is the problem, which I know for a fact they are not, then GM, Toyota, Honda, Dodge/Chrysler and so forth are also the problem because they all make cars that have their fair share of issues. You gonna sue them all?
  • BCraryRUSH2112BCraryRUSH2112 Member Posts: 2
    I like that "Pinto quality". Whats wrong with a Pinto? Back in the 80s my dad and uncle who worked for Barret Jackson, had a Pinto wagon and professionally chopped it and named it a Pinchero. Currently my uncle owns it and has completely built the old 2.0 4 cyl. and it runs on a liquid cooled Mitsubishi turbo with the intercooler located right under the hood scoop. Pretty bad [non-permissible content removed] little hot rod tearing up imports on the streets of Moab.
  • Lsowner85Lsowner85 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2003 ls and I've had it since June. When I first got it it skipped but no light. I ran the hell out of it and the light finally came on. Ran a diagnostic on it had multiple misfires. Replaced all plugs with double platinum. Still skipping. So i moved on to the cops... i replaced 4 to see which side it was on. It cleared up for a bit. Then I did the same on the other side.... it got better for a couple weeks. Then started skipping again. So when you take the cops off and shine a light down where the plugs are theres this gunk. I took off the boot on the coils and there was gunk. So I cleaned it off. I have a cheap code reader so I reset the codes. It runs just fine. I have to do it every so often but thats fine with me. Its a pain to get the cover off the driver side but oh well... i have a k and n intake on it. I built a box around the filter and run a pipe down and to the front bottom grill. My car runs fantastic. When it gets cold I do have to reset codes in the morning before I drive it.. its a ford made car so yes its very tempramental but besides my 87 iroc z this is my favorite car.