Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GMC Jimmy Transmission Problems

Comments

• debbehdebbeh Posts: 1
    I have a '96 Jimmy (automatic 4x4) that has up till today, been a great vehicle. No problems what so ever. Just regular maintainance. Today while driving along my transmission just quit working completely. No forward or reverse. There were no unusual noises or sounds, I was just driving along when I noticed my rpms going high. Pulled to the side of the road, checked fluids, all which were correct, and when I put the car back in drive... nothing. Pleez help if u have any ideas or suggestions on what the problem could b.
  • rhtransrhtrans Posts: 84
    Other than the trans being damaged inside, pump failure, a broken input shaft or possbly the converter stripped which would be unusual...maybe the transfer case somehow got engaged in neutral. If you put in drive then back to park and hear a grinding sound thats what it is...if not somethin just unfortunately broke or stripped in the transmission.
  • hiltsy82hiltsy82 Posts: 1
    I had my tranny fluid and filter changed a few days ago they said everything looked good now my engine light came on put it in drive and feels like its draging rpms revs really high just to start moving like someone is pulling you as your trying to drive away it dose that in all gears but rev
    4hi dose it but not 4lo any ideas would be great
  • your best bet would be to find a used one you can just throw in instead of doing a rebuild. You can put in a 4 speed maunel with no problems but you'd probabally be happier with the 5
  • I have the same problem with my 97 Jimmy, just spoke with a Transmission Tech and he said they probably didn't remove the cross-member to get at the last 2 bolts that are hidden by it and probably damaged the solenoids on the bottom valve body when they wriggled the bottom pan off. If you take your Jimmy in to have they engine scanned (free at all Advance Auto Parts stores) it should give the codes to tell you this. Hope this helps.
  • the revers recently went out in my 01 jimmy and it slips from 1st to 2nd. i have taken out all bolts from trans housing but havent had time to pull tranny out to replace it. i have 4 kids and one is girl so dont get alot of time to repair truck. one mechanic told me that when i pull back im goin to have to loosen the torque converter from the flywheel, can someone explain to me??? my dad was a great mechanic but, he was murdered in march,09 so i cant get advice from him anymore. please someone help!!! there is a guy who is tryin to sell me a transmission out of a jimmy that was submerged in water would tranny still be good?
  • i have 2000 gmc jimmy and it stalls when i take off and it gos and stops and wont go then it goes and then it reves to 4000 or higher rpm and wont go any faster than 40 mph then it finally goes and acts normal what do u think email me at classiccar0612@charter.net
  • tidestertidester Posts: 10,059
    tryin to sell me a transmission out of a jimmy that was submerged in water

I wouldn't go anywhere near it. Beyond possible water damage, transmissions don't ordinarily become submerged without serious stress on the entire system.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • nikki0124nikki0124 Posts: 1
    I have a 99 GMC Jimmy a couple of weeks ago the check engine light came on and it started to hesitate when I would accelerate from a stop. I took it to auto zone they could not read anything the thing in my car they hook the machine up to is messed up. Anyways my car now dies. I start it and it goes a little bit then dies again. Has anyone had this happen to them? Does anyone know what it might be?
  • sambatessambates Posts: 1
    i have a 95 gmc jimmy that s no over drive. before i this it was shifting hard and i still had over drive so then i change the transmission fliter and fluid it stoped shifting hard but now i have no over drive my check engine light is not on so i have no clue. dose anyone have an idea what going on with it
  • kazgarothkazgaroth Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a buddy with a 95 jimmy that's doing the exact same thing. Any chance you ever figured out what was causing the problem?

My friend is a disabled Vietnam vet and on a budget so i was hoping i could help him out with this.

Thanks
    Kurt
  • i've got a 1998 jimmy with 2wd only, the transmission seems to surge between gears when at 45 mph and up. it feels like it down shifts for a second, then finds the correct gear again. it does this every five seconds or so even when its on cruise control... anyone got a suggestion?
  • hellcattthellcattt Posts: 3
    I never could figure out what was wrong with mine and finally traded it in - didnt want to spend $800 on a torque converter and that not even be my problem.
  • jaqdadijaqdadi Posts: 3
    ok, I have a 95 jimmy sle 4.3, 4l60e auto, w\111K, the vehicle as a whole is in excellent shape, I let my mother drive it to boston and back (40 mile each way) on the way back the water pump blew and dumped all the fluid and also the tranny overheated and flushed a bunch of it's fluid, by the time she noticed the needle was in the red and the vehicle had no power. Towed it home and replaced the water pump, fortunately no damage to the engine as it is running perfect, added some tranny fluid as well, but, now it won't move when I shift it in to 1st, ther is some minor movement, a few straining inches, in any other forward gear I get nothing, when I first start it I can get a few feet in reverse but that's it. I have no problem tearing the engine apart and putting it back together, however my tranny work is limited and so is my budget. I have all the tools and space to work on it. I have replaced solenoids, filters , flywheels, etc.. in many other vehicles so I am not affraid to open this up I would just like to know where to look if possible? thanks.
    I just put it up on jacks and started it, it shifts and the tires move in forward or reverse, but when on the ground nothing. I also am draining the fluid and I have never seen tranny fluid this dark brown and very thick. It's like 80 deg and sunny out and this stuff looks like molasses on a co;d day.
    Actually i'll be learning how to do a full rebuid on the 4l60e transmission, this one must have gotten pretty hot cause one of the electrical connectors was completely melted off and the fluid in the pan was like graphite sludge, so in the end i'm probably gonna get it right, but I know it's gonna be painful. If anyone was considering any suggestions, thanks.
  • I am having the same problem with my son's 2000 Jimmy. What did yours turn out to be?
  • focofoco Posts: 2
    I have a 95 jimmy and the tranny would slip into neutral when giving it gas. I would have to shift it back into drive again. One day when this occured I shifted back into drive and the tranny would not go into any gear. Makes kind of a whining noise now. Any ideas if it could be speed sensor, ignition switch/wiring, front pump, torque converter, or does it sound like it needs a rebuild?
  • cuffy531cuffy531 Posts: 1
    i have a 97 gmc jimmy 4wd i just had the transmission replaced, at first it ran fine after about a month it started acting up when its cold it seems like it doesn't shift properly, i have to manually put it in 1st gear to get moving again at 45 mph the rpm is at 2500-2700. after i stop and shut the truck off and start it back up it shifts fine, i replaced the computer when i had the transmission replaced. the check engine light is on code comes up as p0785 Shift/Timing Solenoid Malfunction, but after i shut off the truck after about 3 miles and it sets for 3-5 minutes the light will go out and everything is fine
  • I have a 2001 Jimmy and it will not start it will start in netural after you have to keep turning it over. I have changed out the ignition, distrubutor cap, rotor, wires,plugs and I have tried all I could but when i get it cranked it hard to put it in gear could this be a transmission causing this but it's not reading any codes could someone please help signed Frustrated.