Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

New Forester has problem after 800 miles, normal?

windy101windy101 Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Subaru
I bought a brand new 2008 Subaru Forester about a month ago. Everything seems fine until yesterday -- I drove around in the local, and didn't even hit anything noticeably major, then I heard a loud 'pong'-- it turned out both the tire and rim broken.

I'm a new driver and don't know much about cars. I do notice that the broken part is the inside of the tire, which adjacent to the rim. The car only has around 800 miles on it.

I'll bring the car into the dealershop for repair tomorrow. But now I'm worried if the car itself has quality issue. Can anyone shine me a light -- i.e.: is the problem normal? If not, how shall I deal with the issue?

Comments

• Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Seems odd. Definitely not a common problem. Heck I don't know of any broken rims on stock subie rims. Seems like a nasty pothole or something like that. I doubt they will replace it under warranty unfortunately, unless it looks like a defect where the rim actually broke rather than looking like an inpact.

Good luck on it.

-mike
  • Options
    aathertonaatherton Member Posts: 617
    "... brand new 2008 Subaru Forester... didn't even hit anything noticeably major, then I heard a loud 'pong'-- it turned out both the tire and rim broken.... now I'm worried if the car itself has quality issue. Can anyone shine me a light -- i.e.: is the problem normal? If not, how shall I deal with the issue?"

You hit something hard enough to ruin the tire and break the wheel. Any impact hard enough to ruin a tire is also likely to break a cast wheel. This is not a quality issue. You damaged your car and you or your insurance should pay. You should also go back and see what it took to cause this damage, so you don't do it again.

You must have premium cast alloy wheels. If you had plain steel wheels, the wheel might have been OK after such an impact.
  • Options
    Most cars don't have steel wheels these days. :)

-mike
  • Options
    Thanks Mike, after closer look, it seems that the damage not even caused by any direct hit -- either pothole or whatever things I'm still not aware of. I put some pics here.
    share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8EbtGbJm3aMbk

The cost part is not the major things I'm worrying about now. I want to make sure if the car itself is fine. Thanks guys for your help!
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Ouch! If you check your undercarriage and nothing appears broken or out of place, then there was definitely some sort of road debris that caused that. A chunk of steel, a vicious rock,... something. It has nothing to do with the car itself, though it may be a testament to your luck! ;)

The good news is that it happened so soon you will not need to replace any of the other tires, unless you so choose to upgrade them!
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    Yup as Wes said, this is clearly road debris or pothole of some sort. Not a malfunction of the vehicle.

-mike
  • Options
    "Most cars don't have steel wheels these days."

The 2008 Forester X models come standard with steel wheels and plastic covers. My 2006 Scion xB also has steel wheels with plastic covers.

To get the alloy wheels on a Forester, you have to order an X with the Premium Package, or a Sports, XT, or LL Bean model. Likewise on my Scion, alloy wheels would have been an option.
  • Options
    "... road debris or pothole of some sort. Not a malfunction of the vehicle. "

If it was the solid edge of a pothole, it could have bottomed the suspension hard enough to damage the shock absorber in the strut.

If it was loose road debris (steel that fell of a truck), a small item could have bounced up after the wheel went over it, and done damage under the car. But he did on hear evidence of that.

It was probably a piece of debris. He said he "heard a loud pong", which would have been the sound of the tire being sliced by a sharp edge that continued into the wheel. If he had hit a pothole, there would have been a huge bump and bang, the tire would probably not be cut, the rim might or might not have been dented, the tire would usually hold air unless the rim was badly dented, and the shock might have been damaged.

I would say he hit a piece of a steel I-beam, a short section of W6 that fell off a truck. The flange would have pressed through and cut the tire against the wheel with almost no impact, continued on and dented the wheel, the weight of the steel would have prevented the beam from bouncing up, and the 6" beam height would have allowed it to pass under the car.

I don't see how anyone could look at a sliced tire and a dented rim and even have vehicle malfunction enter their mind.
  • Options
    "... I want to make sure if the car itself is fine."

We forgot to consider that the second wheel that may have hit the same thing. There is no mention of a second impact or damage to a rear wheel. The second wheel would have hit a pothole with the same force as the front. If the thing was a piece of steel, it could have been knocked aside enough to miss the rear, or maybe not. The rear should be checked, too.

"... The cost part is not the major things I'm worrying about now."

When I bought my 2008 LL Bean last month, the salesman offered me a very expensive tire and wheel insurance policy. I had never heard of such a policy, and asked why I might want it. He said I might hit something and ruin a wheel, which would cost $500. My first thought was that a whole set of nice aftermarket alloy wheel can be bought for not much more than that. Then I told him I had never hit anything in 50 years that had damaged a tire, much less a wheel, so I declined the offer.

But... maybe Subaru is experiencing a high breakage rate of their OEM alloy wheels, and has encouraged their dealers to offer this policy.
  • Options
    p0926p0926 Member Posts: 4,423
    But... maybe Subaru is experiencing a high breakage rate of their OEM alloy wheels, and has encouraged their dealers to offer this policy

Nah, there's nothing wrong with Subaru rims, just an opportunistic dealer looking to sell something at close to 100% guaranteed profit ;)

FYI, I think these tire and wheel insurance policies are a common pratice at luxo dealers whose models come with expensive rims that are easy to damage when parking next to a curb. Guess the non-luxo dealers have realized the profit potential and have now started to also offer them :)

-Frank
  • Options
    Thanks every one for your information and help. The dealer checked the car, the replace quota is $400 for the rim, $150 for the tire, and $100 for undercarriage checking & alignment. I guess I'm sending out Christmas gift :-( A tough lesson for a new driver.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    Yeah, the bill hurts, but these things happen. Road debris is a constant threat. I cannot tell you how many nicks, tears, chunks missing, windshield breaks, etc my cars have incurred over the years due to debris. Sometimes you dodge them, sometimes you do not. A short walk along the shoulder of a local highway should give you great insight into how likely it really is for a driver to hit some sort of debris on the road. Remember, all that trash along the side of the road did not start out there.... ;)
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
This discussion has been closed.