Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Acura RL

Comments

• pellucidpellucid Member Posts: 5
    My 2005 RL, with 32K miles on the odo, produced a grating noise from beneath the hood. The service manager listened briefly, and shook his head. He promptly called for his Foreman who came out with his 'stethoscope' with wand attached. He poked around and said: "This is a first - the only RL that ever required a new 'serpentine belt tensioner." That aside, this car has run smoothly and without complaint. My dealership is beyond compare: beautiful showroom, responsive service people, loaners always available and warm greetings upon arrival.
    Hi to NebraskaGuy! - and Pat.
    Regards,

George
  • jjacurajjacura Member Posts: 807
    You interested in the '09 RL for yourself Neb.Guy or just curious to see it? Big changes coming in 2010 ... 2011 for sure. I just hand waxed the 2005 today WITH Zymol :shades: and it looks like new! Figure its about broken in now with 42,000 miles. Am considering Michelin Pilot Sports to replace the OE'S in a couple months. (Are you and I the only ones left from the hot '05 forum days?)

OMG!!!! This wasn't planned!!!! ACURAPHILE!!!!! :surprise: AMAZING!!!!!!

JJACURA
  • pellucidpellucid Member Posts: 5
    How did the name "Pellucid" pop up? This is Acuraphile - remember me?? Out of sight, out of mind, is it???

George
  • nebraskaguynebraskaguy Member Posts: 341
    You interested in the '09 RL for yourself Neb.Guy or just curious to see it? Big changes coming in 2010 ... 2011 for sure.

I'm definitely curious to see it, but possibly interested as well. I love my 05 - just put 8,200 miles on it for my Midwest trek, but I want to see what the 09 brings. I know big changes are coming for the 2010 or 2011, but I doubt I'll want to jump right on it like I did the 05. If I do like the 10 or 11 when it comes out, I'll probably wait a year or two.

(Are you and I the only ones left from the hot '05 forum days?)

If not the only ones, one of the few, definitely. Good to see you still posting.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It looks like you have two registrations and logged in under the pellucid one. Why don't you drop me an email.

And it's good to see you again, whatever you call yourself! :)
    :)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Hey jj, good to see you!! :)
    I just received the brochure on the 09 RL. Just glancing, I see a couple of changes in the specs from the current model:

1st is 2008, 2nd is 2009

Length - 193.6 -- 195.8
    Turning diameter - 39.7 -- 36.1 (great)
    HP - 290 @ 6200 rpm -- 300 @ 6300 rpm
    Torque - 256 lbs-ft @ 5000 rp -- 271 @ 5000 rp
    Displacement - 3.5 -- 3.7
    Compression ratio - 11.0:1 -- 11.2:1

In addition, both driver and passenger have 10-way power seats (this corrects a common complaints on these boards)

With the tech package, there are now ventilated seats (corrects another common complaint)

I was disappointed to see there are no new colors, despite a report to the contrary on these boards.

There are probably other differences, but the above are what I noted.
  • docrwdocrw Member Posts: 94
    Thanks for the specs.

Can you tell us what the rear seat legroom is for the '09, this was the biggest disappointment for me in the previous version and if it is improved would definitely get me into the showroom for a test drive.
    Can you tell us what the rear seat legroom is for the '09, this was the biggest disappointment for me in the previous version and if it is improved would definitely get me into the showroom for a test drive.

Unfortunately, despite the slight extra length, there is no more legroom in either the front or back seats. Sorry.
  • vavavavolvovavavavolvo Member Posts: 110
    Acura.com has removed the 09 RL from "Future Vehicles" . The RL section is now (mostly) updated to reflect the new vehicle.

Check out the RL commercial and video on the website.
  • kurtkbeekurtkbee Member Posts: 22
    Good to hear, will check the website for the new ad.
    I wonder if anyone knows if they improved on the very low mileage that this sedan had or improved the styling for 09'. It looked so much like the accord (just longer).
    I wonder if anyone knows if they improved on the very low mileage that this sedan had or improved the styling for 09'. It looked so much like the accord (just longer).

The listed mileage is slightly less than the 08 model. However, I've always gotten better highway mileage than the listed mileage. I recently took an 8,000 mile trip and got a low of 25 mpg and a high of 30 mpg.

The styling hasn't been changed much except for the grill and a little in the trunk. For those of us who never thought it looked much like an Accord, it still doesn't. Those of you who thought it looked like an Accord will probably not change your mind.
  • billyperks2billyperks2 Member Posts: 378
    Why only five gears for this class?
    I like the refresh look but come on, in this day and age, five gears will not cut it for this segment.
    I will compare with the new TL pocket is leading towards the GS350.
    Unfortunately, despite the slight extra length, there is no more legroom in either the front or back seats. Sorry.

That's very disappointing. All of the previews stated that that was an area that they were going to address. I read yesterday that they redesigned the seatbacks of the front seats to provide more leg room. Unless they went with carbon fiber seats, I don't see how that could make any significant difference.

If the new TL is based on the Accord, then it seems like it would have more rearseat room than the RL. How will Acura reconcile that with customers?
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    How much would an RL buyer be willing to spend beyond a top-line Accord? They're built on the same platform with an identical wheelbase, but the RL is AWD. Have you noticed the horrendous gas mileage figures for the Acura V-6 vs. Honda's V-6? Also the RL requires premium fuel.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    "Have you noticed the horrendous gas mileage figures for the Acura V-6 vs. Honda's V-6?"

In the case of TL's V-6, the difference is not significant, particularly if you compare hwy mileage. I frequently get 29-32 mpg when cruising at 65-75 mph on the hwy when driving the TL. With respect to the RL, the mpg is around 25-27. Not too bad for a car weighing close to 4k pounds.
  • kenb757kenb757 Member Posts: 149
    The 2009 RL brochure lists 16 city and 22 hwy with premium fuel. My DTS lists 15 and 23 with a 4.6 V-8 on regular fuel and I get around 20 combined.
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    You need to take into consideration how a car is driven. If you have a lead foot, your mpg will suffer. If you cruise btn 55-65, you have optimum mpg.

For reference, see this link about real world RL mpg:kamdog, "Acura RL Real World Fuel Economy" #1, 28 Mar 2007 12:24 pm. The 09 RL has a bigger engine, and is supposedly tuned for quicker pick up and acceleration. Thus, mpg is likely worse than 05-08 models.
  • kurtkbeekurtkbee Member Posts: 22
    I agree, there are very similar styling lines in the RL and the Accord and for me the RL really does not stand out in its class (A6,BMW5,M45 and E-Class).

Combined with the requirement to use premium fuel, its poor fuel efficiency and the styling, i doubt that anyone looking at other members of its class will get the RL (and you should even look at the Jaguar XF which is $49K and 18/26MPG).

I always loved Acura but i think that i may skip this generation. But you do get more amenities/options for less that the other brands (but do you really need them)
    But you do get more amenities/options for less that the other brands (but do you really need them)

What does "need" really have to do with any car in this category? Can any of us really say we need the things luxury cars offer?
    yes
    I received an e-mail yesterday morning from my salesman informing me they finally had a 2009. I called this morning to arrange a test drive and he informed me they sold their only one yesterday afternoon! So, someone must have really loved it!
  • ocimocim Member Posts: 45
    This is a major disappointment. Even though I swear I read somewhere that the 2009 RL would offer more room in the rear. Although, I must admit I was wondering how they would accomplish this since they were not changing the basic design. Basically, Acura does not make a sedan that is not tight in the rear. Oddly enough, the Honda Accord offers plenty of leg room. Why can't the TL offer the same amount of leg room since it is built on the same platform as the Accord? How is it that the TL ends up with less leg room in the rear and a smaller trunk. Why are luxury cars built under the Acura badge smaller than those built under the Honda badge? What is so luxurious about being cramped? I just don't get it. I would think that increasing passenger volume in sedans would be a selling point for manufacturers since I would think a lot of buyers will be switching from SUV to cars.
    I agree with all your points. I think Acura is making a mistake by not correcting this problem.
    This is a major disappointment. Even though I swear I read somewhere that the 2009 RL would offer more room in the rear.

Just the other day, I received an e-mail from Acura and one of the improvements touted was increased rear leg room. This despite the brochure I received earlier which listed all specs, including rear leg room that was exactly the same as the 2008. So, someplace there's a disconnect.
  • genesis6genesis6 Member Posts: 8
    I read somewhere there is a totally new RL coming in 2010? Can anyone verify?
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Yes the 2011 RL will debut in 2010. Thats when it will likely get a v8 and a RWD based platform. The v8 will likely have VCM and other fuel saving technologies.
    Finally got a chance to check out the refreshed RL and I have say I like it a whole lot.When I drove up to the dealer there was a white one parked up front and I was immediately taken aback by the refreshed taillights and very nicely done pearl white exterior with the chrome trim by the footwell.My sales guy saw me pulled up and went in the back for a black one, I sat in the car for about 30 minutes playing around with the gizmos- I am totally sold, this upcoming TL better be a home run for me not to purchase the RL.
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    Although I personally don't care for the 2009 RL, others appear to be in love with this car as it is selling very well at my 2 area Acura dealers. Nearly all of the 10 original shipment vehicles have been sold.

Wonder what kind of price discount are being offerred on the 2009 RLs to make them so attractive.
    One dealer offered $1000 off and another $500- that is definitly not attrative to me.
    When the redesigned 2005 first came out most of us ordering in advance did not get any discounts. My dealer threw in mudguards, trunk liner, and winter floor mats. that was it. The RL has been a dream car. It's worth the full list. A Grand discount pays for replacing the Michelins at 50,000 miles... :)
    JJ
  • desert_ratdesert_rat Member Posts: 23
    Seems they are moving fast here too. Did a test drive and there is certainly more room on the back seat. I normally touch the ceiling with my head, and in the 2009 is acceptable, not in the 2008. I do this in a lot of other cars, so the 2009 is OK.
    It now looks great, front and rear end.
    Are you talking just about headroom or leg room as well? I read that the way they improved leg room was to make the front seat thinner, by making cutouts in the back to increase knee room.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Well atleast this time around, the RL looks a bit more youthful, younger, I would say the older RL looked sort of like a Buick. The new RL is nice, though expensive. The Acura brand looks very techy, very cool! Though a different approach to design, I appreciate it, its almost like the car is alive, like a computer on wheels. Thank them for atleast stepping outside the box, and not putting something out there that looks like every other car.
  • steveaccordsteveaccord Member Posts: 108
    If I may offer a speculation on this topic.
    One could predict that Acura will remain stingy on rear seat accommodation if we accept that the brand is being developed to attract young (at heart at least) clientele that favors the Sporty set up of the vehicle. In pursuing such a philosophy of performance over comfort they are merely following leaders in this area of the automotive segment. I can speak more specifically about BMW because that is what I have tested when shopping recently. A series 5 has marginally more leg room than a series 3 as I found out. The reason for that is that for a car best enjoyed under a 'spirited' driving the fun is for those sitting in front so there is where the prize for this premium vehicles is placed. At least that is what I suspect is going on. Certainly Lexus plays by other standard (and benefits from a much larger offering) but I doubt that Acura will depart much from the current philosophy.
    Truly,

Steveaccord

P.S. due to a change in my garage lineup I should now change my nick to SteveBMW
    I finally got the chance to test drive the new 09 RL. I was very impressed all the way around. Here are my comments:

Exterior styling: I really liked it. From the pictures, I wasn't sure I'd like the grill, but it works. The rear styling is a marked improvement. One thing I never particular liked about my 05 was the "pushed-down" look of the front end. This has definitely been improved.

Noise level: it's very hard to tell whether it's quieter than my 05, but I did feel it was somewhat quieter.

Ride: I didn't feel it was any smoother than my 05.

Turning radius: definitely much better than my 05.

Rear legroom: definitely no better than my 05.

Interior styling: mostly unchanged from 05 with the exception of the wood insets on the steering wheel and the shift knob.

Back-up camera: definitely very nice and didn't have any significant delay like I've read about some models. I think I like my back-up sensors better, but some people (especially those with kids and things in the driveway) might really like the camera.

Heated/cooled seats: I never felt the lack of cooled seats was a major deficiency like some on these boards. However, I have to admit I really liked this feature. Another improvement - electronic switch instead of rocker switch. I really like this since it turns off when you turn the car off instead of always being on until you turn it off (ever wondered why you were getting so warm, then realized you'd turned the seat warmer on that morning when it was cold and never turned it off).

Verdict: if you have, and like, your 04 or earlier RL, I'd definitely give the 09 a serious look. If you have an 05 or newer, you might still want to give it a try.

I think I'll stick with my 05 for now. I've always been very happy with it and I didn't see enough of an improvement to upgrade now.
    Thanks Nebraska....nice review.
  • rasmaxwellrasmaxwell Member Posts: 6
    As the current owner of a 1994 Legend Coupe LS, 6 speed, take my feedback for what it is worth. The new Acura RL is an improvement, particularly over the Buick-like RL which preceded it, but it is does not inspire passion nor does it give you something that is built and engineered to a higher standard. Acura appears to have fallen victim to accountants and cost cutting. When Hyundai really gets on their game - the new Genesis is a fine vehicle for its price - Acura, Lexus, Toyota and Buick will be in deep trouble. I also feel obligated to comment on the "beak" that Acura has adopted as a front end styling cue. If that is the best that Acura can do, then I will never own another.
  • dandgdandg Member Posts: 91
    Been comparing the RL with the E350 and the GS (I ruled out the BMW due to idrive) and went to test drive a RL.Seemed like a nice car a bit more road noise then the GS I thought and lacking a few things (multi position heated seats) but still a real possibility.After check the interior of the E350 and finding many to be vinyl( MB-Tex) I wanted to be sure the RL had real all leather.I called and aske Acura and it does,however when asking what
    "Simulated curly maple wood-grained trim" is.
    Its not wood !!! Wow.
    The RL does offer quite a bit for the money but one would think real wood would be a given.
    Thanks NebraskaGuy, I've been meaning to get in to Acura one of these days to check out the 2009 in person. The 2005 is running perfect at 44,000 miles. Good to see you are still in the forum.
    JJAcura
    Yes, you should definitely check it out. I suspect, though, you'll come to the same decision I have. I have just over 37,000 miles on mine and still running perfect. Only problem I have is lack of gas - currently in Asheville and haven't found a gas station that actually has gas!!! Who knows when I'll get back home.
    went to test drive a RL.Seemed like a nice car a bit more road noise then the GS I thought and lacking a few things (multi position heated seats) but still a real possibility.

I'm not sure I understand correctly what you wrote, but my interpretation is that you're saying the RL does not have multi-position heated seats. If that's what you said, it's not correct. The RL does have multi-position heated and cooled seats.
  • sanjaysdcasanjaysdca Member Posts: 269
    RL is a nice car... but I cant think of its purpose. Its not significantly better then TL... both in terms of performance and cachet!! so what the rationale to buy RL?

Have you considered Infiniti M, Jag XF, or Audi A6?

If you like the drive of E350...you might want to wait till Jan/Feb when revamped model hits... and you probably will be able to get #350 with leather around 40K...my guess.
    Doesn't the RL have real wood?
    Doesn't the RL have real wood?

I assumed it did since the RL always has had real wood. However, the RL page on Acura does not say it's real wood which is suspicious.
    The RL does not have real wood its "simulated" (plastic).I called Acura when I read the "simulated curly maple wood grain trim" in the brochure.One other thing I found out was the only only leather was on the seat bottom and back,the edges are "leatherette" (vinyl) Very dissapointing as I really liked the look inside and out but think I may have to try some others makers.The GS does have real leather and wood,the MB has real wood but same thing with the leather only inserts (and only with option),otherwise its vinyl ("MB-Tex")

The M does look nice,will have to se about that as well.
  • jwacura3jwacura3 Member Posts: 6
    The RL is available in 3 configurations. The base option does have "simulated" wood, but the other 2 packages both have real wood as follows:

Technology Package - "Upgraded genuine wood interior trim"

CMBS/ACC package - "Genuine curly maple wood trim"
    Direct from Acura: its all plastic.Call them
    "....One other thing I found out was the only only leather was on the seat bottom and back,the edges are "leatherette" (vinyl) Very dissapointing as I really liked the look inside and out but think I may have to try some others makers."

I used to feel this way too but I changed my mind when I noticed that after a number of years--despite using the best leather care products--I found that the seatbacks and seat (the leather parts) were showing a lot of unhappy aging with cracks, delaminations and an overall discolored, shiny appearance, while the "leatherette" parts of the seat still look fine. This has happened to two of my cars including one I currently own. Interestingly, the passenger seat looks fine, but nobody usually sits in it.
This discussion has been closed.