Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2008 Volkswagen Jetta

roughrider1roughrider1 Member Posts: 3
Anyone having problems with this one yet! I am considering buying one but am waiting to see how many problems arise!

Comments

• boyd82boyd82 Member Posts: 3
    No problems at all. Love the spunky engine, stellar interior, handling, and comfortable seats!
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Even the consumer reports that constantly mark down all good cars says that the jetta with the 5cyl engine is a good car. If you check insideline for the Longterm Jetta they had a few years back, you'll see that they had only minor problems. Overally, the A5 jetta(2005.5+) is a reliable car anyway you look at it. It has 2 recalls and 11TSBs on minor things also. Compare that to the Audi A6 with 42 TSBs and counting.

In fact, i'd love to own a 2008 Jetta SE, Any non silver or white Jetta Wolfsburg from 2007, or any non silver or white Jetta Period! As long as it doesn't have the 2.0T engine. (IMO, the higher insurance for <50hp isn't worth it.)

Hope you get one and try it for yourself! I'm sure you'll be happy.
    ps if you buy and dont like and want to give it away, I'm available 24/7!
    -Cj
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Even my mothers 04 Jetta has been trouble free! Their amazing cars!! I have been looking at the Accords, but the Jetta, is another option for me.
  • emily23emily23 Member Posts: 8
    The Jetta was on the top of my list until I visited Montesi Motors in CT. I can only descrbe my time there as...bizarre. They showed me dealer invoices that had absolutely no relation to reality, and the salesman was incredibly rude and well...nasty. I said thank you, and left. A good car let down by another terrible VW dealership....when I got home, I looked at Jetta sales for the year 2007. They are down ALOT from 2006. I will try another dealer about 40 miles away from me because this car is a tremendous value, and to me at least, a class leader. If you are in CT, avoid Montesi Motors.
    I hate dealerships like that! The only thing I really dislike reading is consumer reviews in which the buyer had like a small problem and ends with "OMG I will never purchase a [insert car company name here] again!" That really makes me want to throw a wrench at someone! (Not literally but it sounds better than the old "toss my cookies" phrase...)

-Cj
  • gmangman Member Posts: 5
    Has anybody seen or bought the '08 Jetta Sportwagen yet?
  • bismarcbismarc Member Posts: 2
    is there any mods like air intakes for the 2008 jetta yet???
  • bismarcbismarc Member Posts: 2
    um.. no. But it does look good for the family.
    The jettasport wagen will be available in spring. I wish that the panorimic sunroof in the jetta wagen er wagon and tiguan was available in the rabbit! I'd so get it.
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    i know the tdi will come out this summer but when is the redesign planned for the jetta?? my wife loves this car, more than a civic or altima, but i don't want to buy if it's going to be redesigned next fall. when is it due, this has been out since 2005.5
  • vdubsalesguyvdubsalesguy Member Posts: 2
    The Jetta Sportwagen isn't out yet. Should be on the showrooms about July or August
  • homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    I've driven a 2007 Jetta for almost a year and a half, and it's been a great car. My son just took my car on a road trip to Houston, and got 35 MPG (not in Houston traffic). He drives at the speed limit, and most don't, but still that's tremendous for a car that weighs over 3K, has every safety feature, 5 cyl., etc. It's a great road car. I've had only minor issues, fixed quickly under warranty. I'm considering another for my wife. They seem to have turned the corner on quality.
  • bkjettabkjetta Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I just bought an '08 Jetta today and must park the car on the street in Brooklyn. I am trying to find the best bumper protection possible. I'm planning on buying the bumper bully. Does anyone know how well the 3M Scotchguard paint protections works for the front? If so, can you recommend an installer and a ballpark idea of cost. Also, any opinions on stick on bumper guards. Any good brands to recommend? Do they damage paint?

Thanks!
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    No redesign but some changes. A new touch screen navigation system is coming out. Also there will be bluetooth. This navigation system can fully integrate with the new bluetooth module. Touch screen dialing and 6 phone presets. The new touch screen navigation system has a hard drive and a SD card slot. Stores the maps on the HDD and you can have some room for music.
    Its like every year VW makes the Jetta more appealing to me! I think I'll just get an 06 and call it a day! Maybe the new TDI if $$ permits. The 08s get more power and smake tails, the 09 touch screen Nav.

VW should sell Xenon lights in the jetta or projector beams from Hella that have the celis light bar...

Maybe next comes A6/MKVI jetta... :blush:
    -Cj
    How does a new USB based iPod adaptor sound. It's going to be far better than the non USB unit that mimics a cd changer and doesn't work well. It's very expensive though. The iPod cable is extra. Plays USB devices like thumbdrives. Hope this helps. It works with the RCD and RNS-510. Should have full integration of the iPod :).
  • tdibobtdibob Member Posts: 12
    Jetta Owners:

Has the reliability improved over the years? Jetta is listed as one of the worst cars (consumer reports) as per an article in MSN auto. I will appreciate comments. I am about to buy a Rabbit. Thanks
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I'm not sure, but I believe as of the 2006 model, CR has the Jetta rated as "average".

For some perspective on the differences, you can look at Edmunds repair and maintenance cost estimates. For the Rabbit the 5 year 75,000 mile total is $937 repairs and $3569 maintenance. Comparing that the the reliability benchmarks, the Civic is at $732 for repairs and $3283 for maintenance, while the Corolla is at $732 and $4374.

I don't know about you, but an expected difference of $100-200 per year would not affect my choice of vehicles.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    My mother is turning in her 04 Jetta lease, and she has had no problems with it, and she has not be too obsessed with maintenance either, so that is good.

I am too looking for a new lease, I will be trading my 06 Accord Lease this month, maybe this weekend, and I am not worried about it the VW. I love VW's! I was going to get the 08 Accord, but, the leases are way too expensive now, when I can lease a $29,000 VW for much less a month, and with $0 down! I am looking at the Passat, and now looking at the "NEW" Wolfsburg special edition they have out, with DSG, it is truly amazing!! Just like the GLI, but for $$ less. I am also looking at the GLI, perhaps the EOS, but that ventures a little about what I want from leasing, but NOW, would be a great time to lease a VW.

I get the following incentives!!
    I live in the same household of my mother which owns a VW lease $2,000
    I am trading in an 06 Accord $1,700

I get a total of $3,700 off the price, which I am getting the car at Invoice!!

Some how, I think I would be crazy if I didn't make a deal on that!! Truly amazing!

I have always loved VW, and feel totally confident in them, also this day in age, I think most cars are pretty good, and up to code.
  • jp548jp548 Member Posts: 1
    I just puchased a Graphite Blue Jetta SE from Crestmont VW in Pompton Plains, NJ. The MSRP was 21,575 and I paid 20,900. The color was what I wanted and hard to find so I was wondering if I got a good deal or not. What do you think?
  • nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    yes you got a KILLER deal, that's very near invoice or at invoice, what options did you get, auto, ipod adapter etc.
    i just got an SE auto but had to look very hard for a red one....paid 500 over invoice had to travel to cincinnati to get it. but i could have got a silver at 200 over invoice at 21050 so you did very well....... looks awesome in red.....great stereo
  • shirotorishirotori Member Posts: 51
    Hey to all thinking about a Jetta; don't forget about the Rabitt. It is a very versatile car as it is able to hold more things since it doesn't have a trunk to contend with. It holds as many people just as comfortably and is at least a few thousand dollars cheaper than the Jetta. I love my Rabbit (2007 5spd 4 door) and highly recommend it.
    Bluetooth will be avaliable for 09 but maybe later. More like September-October. Will require the MFI aka MFD and the steering wheel audio controller. Mainly for SEL models or models that have the MFI and MFSW. The Bluetooth kit can be installed in earlier models but they need the MFI and MFSW. It's made by nokia and will turn on that mystery phone button. It gets even better with the new RNS-510 navigations system.
  • 600kgolfgt600kgolfgt Member Posts: 690
    Consumer Reports agrees with you, too - they list the Rabbit as one of their recommended vehicles...
    I dare to be different... well at least now I do. Going from the stones throw accord to the jetta or rabbit or tiguan or... to a Vw :) . Also I have a Zune instead of an iPod so the iPod adapter is of little use to me. Thanks though!

Also heres a question. I have heard that not all Jettas have the AuX jack but its by year instead of trim level. When did the jetta get an AUX jack? Would older jettas with Package 1 or 2 have them? I have a Zune and like listening to it in my car. I currently use a cassette adapter as I hate those expensive and unuseful FM transmitters.

-Cj
    The 2door wabbit :blush: just won 1st place in a Car and Driver comparison too! In fact, I've never seen a comparison in which the rabbit hasn't won... If only I could get a rabbit the way I want it:

Jetta or R32 Grille, heated Leatherette or Leather, panoramic sunroof, tdi engine. Would be perfect. Also VW should give the Rabbit better color choices... VW should also bring back the deep sea green for the Jetta too... And the old metallic red...

-Cj
  • popadopolispopadopolis Member Posts: 16
    I just purchased a new 2008 Jetta SE with 16" alloy wheels. Here in upstate New York I feel secure driving with snow tires on all four corners. My question is can I put 15" steel wheels off a 2008 Jetta S. The wheels are brand new takeoffs and of course in excellent condition. If they come off a Jetta S will they fit the SE. Anyone know if the Jetta S has disc brakes all around? Any help would be appreciated.Thanks and Have a great day!!!!! :)
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Yes. No problem. The tires and wheels involved have the same rolling diameter, and there should be no issue with the brakes - there are no differences in the braking systems across the Jetta line, with the possible exception of the GLI - certainly no differences between an S and SE.
  • scardini23scardini23 Member Posts: 5
    I got my 2008 Jetta right when they came out - and I love it. I have had not ONE problem with it (I had a Landrover Freelander before and it had more problems than I could count). I purchased it at New Country in Greenwich CT and now that I have moved into the city a month ago - it is even a good city car to have. My brother had a Jetta in College about 5 years ago and didn't have one problem throughout his entire lease. I would def. recommend the Jetta SE 2008. :)
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    The '08 Jetta SE auto is currently on my list of potential cars that I'm looking at to buy sometime in the next three months. I didn't see a thread on the Jetta forum regarding real world mpg experience on the 2.5 auto powertrain. Love to hear some realistic reports on mileage as well as opinions of the '08 or Jetttas in general. Thanks.
  • roughrider1roughrider1 Member Posts: 3
    M6user, I drive in mostly rural areas with some city driving, and I constantly get 31 mpg and if I have to go far on freeway, I get 33 mpg. Very pleased with mine.
    Thanks roughrider1! That's actually very good mpg...well above the lower range. Would you consider yourself to be a conservative driver?

I read all the Jetta consumer reviews and some complained about mpg or marked it down a little. Then I read about a lot of clutches going and understanding the demographics of the Jetta market, I add two and two together and decide one might beget the other. I have never had any trouble getting epa estimates on my cars and I would say I'm a pretty average driver. In a hurry sometimes but mostly fairly easy going.
    In the one long trip we took we averaged 31 or 32 mpg on in our 2005.5 with 2.5 ATX, driving on the freeway typically at 70-75 mph. I don't really know what it gets around town, because my wife drives it and unlike me she does not check mpg with every tank.
    Thanks. How has your repairs/maint been? Is it true that an oil change is something like $100 even though you might only have to get it changed once a year or so?

From what I can gather, the engine realiability of the Jetta has improved since they came out with the 2.5 and overall reliability has also improved over the last several years. Would you agree with that?
    We never paid anywhere near $100 for an oil change. Our first one was free and the other two were about $60 or a little less. We have spent $455 on maintenance in 3+ years and 25,000 miles.

Ours was a pretty early one, bought end of May 2005, I think that was the second or third month for it. So we probably had more issues than average, which we fully expected. Several minor things right away and then strut bearings after 6 months and one bigger item, a transmission repair after one year. These were all under warranty. Oh yeah, and there was a speedometer TSB.

Also two minor recalls one was to check location of a fuel line or something the other is for to disable certain headlight aiming screws.

CR now rates the 05-07 as average or above, this is a definite improvement over ratings for the prior versions of the Jetta. The engine gets a lot of red circles (= good reliability) in CRs ratings.
    Thanks for info. Sounds a lot like a Buick LaSabre Ltd I had. Loved the car but it really did have a lot of warranty work, mostly minor, some major....a lot like your experience. I know what a hassle it is even if they are picking up the tab. Have things pretty much smoothed out on it now?

Now the real question.....if you were in the market would you buy a new Jetta? What about the new 2009 TDI?
    In the last 2 years+, since the transmission there was really only the second recall which is a nothing issue. They did not disable certain headlight aiming screws, which apparently cars in the US are not allowed to have by NHTSA. The speedometer was always off, but I became aware of TSB admitting it and giving a fix recently, so that was just done at the last oil change. Previously they had said they could check it but if it was not off, they would have to charge us $50, so we had let it go.

Oh and they have to replace the truck lifters, the 2005s would lift the trunk lid all the way open when you hit the trunk release button. These had gradually weakened and it would just pop the lock , like most do. So I finally asked them about it at the last oil change. This feature was eliminated, so at first they were in denial, no one knew the truck lid was supposed to go up. They tested another 2005 on the lot and it did not do it (uh, yeah it's broken too :surprise: ). It was not a big deal, I mean it would be a burden ;) , but we could continue to survive with manually lifting the lid. I said something like "if you want to say that this is not something that will be fixed under warranty, fine, but don't try to tell me that it did not ever lift the trunk lid..." Finally they found a district manager who actually remembered that this was a feature in the early ones and agreed to replace next time we want to bring it in. I had also found a video clip someone had made of this feature in action and emailed it to the service manager :) .

All this sounds like a lot, but really we only made 2 extra trips to the dealer and we did get a free loaner as needed. In fact, during the transmission repair, we got a Mazda6 loaner, so it was kind of nice as I got an extended test drive and my wife drove our other vehicle. The first extra trip was when it was new and had to go for the recall, which was a minor thing except it said a fire could possibly start and we had 4-5 other minor items, anyway. The second extra trip was for the strut bearings, which were making strange noises they were replaced with a redesigned part. Including normal maintenance we have had it in 6 times in 3 years+. My Mazda6, because of their 4 month oil change requirement, has been in 5 times in 1.5 years.

My wife would buy another and I would be fine with that. She loves the car. The transmission needing repair is the only item that would cause me much concern, but transmission issues have not been common on these so I would not let it prevent us from getting another. I like my Mazda6 better, it is just slightly more comfortable for me mainly because the steering wheel telescopes further out.

But do like some things about her car more...the extendable sun visors, driver's arm rest for right arm, her automatic transmission is smoother than Mazda's, her A/C is better, her windshield washer system is better, her car is better in snow or even wet as she has ESP (stability control) plus I think her tires are more truely all-seasonish. Hers also had better IIHS crash test results.

You may already know this, but the current models have 4 year/50K mi bumper to bumper warranty, next year I think that drops to 3 years/36K mi and they add free maintenance for those 3 years.

Diesel mpg would be nice, even though often offset somewhat by the higher price of the fuel. OTOH, we do not drive all that much and don't like the idea of taking longer to get heat in winter. We would probably at least drive it and do the math on fuel savings vs. higher initial cost. I guess diesel engines are also supposed to be more durable, but since we would probably only hit 100K mi in about 12 years that is not a big consideration.

What would intrigue me more is if they would make the DSG transmission available in the lower priced trim levels of the Jetta and Rabbit.
    Thanks again for the copious notes. I've had my Mazda6 for about 10 months and it's been back to the dealer twice--both for oil changes and a bracket on one of the tailpipes came loose and they refastened it...very, very minor really. Has been an excellent car and it was originally for me but my wife has taken it over and I drive it rarely now. Hence I'm looking at another car for me. Oh what a chore(ha ha). The three I'm looking at are the Jetta, Sonata and the new Mazda6. Obviously I have to wait another 5-6 weeks to really look at the new Mazda6 and I'm sure prices on that will be high until at least January or so. If it really is popular and is as nice as it seems on paper I may just have to bite the bullet and pay top dollar. It's a shame because as you well know, the price we paid for the current Mazda6 was a steal in my opinion.

I feel pretty much the same with TDI....I don't think I would drive enough miles a year to really justify the extra expense up front. Anyway, is the new 3/36 warranty with free service on the Jetta worth it or would you rather have the comfort level of that fourth year? I guess I would lean towards a little better price on the 08 and the longer warranty. I also have to time my purchase because if I wait too long for the Mazda6, the supply of 08 Jettas may become pretty depleted. What do you think?
    Yep, I always like to point out to my wife that the Mazda6 cost us $3K less than the Jetta :) . I doubt that'll be the case with the new '09 at least for a while.

I don't know, the warranty vs. free service is kind of a toss-up to me, since they still have 5 year/60 K mi on the powertrain. I felt the same way with the Mazda6 which went from 4 years to 3 on the bumper to bumper but added a 5 year power train warranty. The price difference between a leftover '08 vs. new '09 would likely be a bigger factor to me.

If you know what you want, you could try to find out how many are around. When my wife got hers she knew exactly what she wanted, had to be the right color and trim level. I checked on-line inventory of dealers to find out there were very few within 100 miles, so we took what seemed like a good deal on one when offered. But she had also already narrowed it down to just the Jetta, there was no new car we were waiting to see...actually the Jetta was the new one that we had waited for, but it had come out early, like March.
    Good advice. Thanks again.
  • roughrider1roughrider1 Member Posts: 3
    I consider myself a conservative driver about 90% of the time! Wife can't get that kind of mileage though, she gets about 29.
  • scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    i would rather have the warranty. since our VW dealer advises 10k oil changes,
    that's once a year service for what, $70-80? warranty covers BIG items if they
    break.
    What about tire rotations? Is there no 15,000 or 30,000 required maint that could add a fair amount of money? I would lean towards the extra year as well unless I could save a lot on these types of charges.
    No, VW does 10K, 20K, 30K , 40K.

There is a tire rotation every 10,000 miles ($20?), cabin air filter change at 20K (~$50), brake fluid change at 24 mo ($90). So, assuming all is included, I'd guess savings of ~$500. (We spent $450 in 3 years, 25K mi and had one free oil change in there)

The bigger service is at 40K mi, where spark plugs and air filter replacement is required.

I wonder how the manufacturer payiing only for10K mi between oil changes is going to sit with dealers that try to convince folks that they should pay for a synthetic oil change every 3 mo. or 5K mi?
    Wow. Plugs at 40,000. Haven't heard of a manufacturer asking for plug changes that early in a long time. Most seem to be going towards 100,000 or so. What's up with that?

Not that I think it's bad but haven't heard of many manufacturers requiring a brake fluid change either that early or at all. I do think it could save some money on the ABS system down the road though.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Mercedes has always required brake fluid changes at 24 month intervals. Still true on our '08 C300.
    Maybe it's a German automaker thing. Do they use some real different kind of brake fluid or brake system parts which would make it necessary or do they just feel that's a good preventive maint thing to do?
    Not sure why 40K for plugs. There is also a time factor of 4 years, which for us will be maybe about 32k mi. Meanwhile they say no routine changes of automatic transmission fluid are needed.

I would not wait 100K (that'd be 10-12 years for us), even if that is specified. I go about 6 years normally, just because I had heard that waiting to long can create problems with actually removing the old plugs.

I think Honda has three year brake fluid changes. Mazda says 2 years, but only in Mexico :confuse: . Where it is not specified (or after warranty) I plan to do it at about a three year/25,000 mile interval in future. I think this will mean one complete change between brake jobs and then one when brakes are done. I've also decided to periodically change power steering fluid in future (not on the Jetta, as it has none).

I am still undecided about automatic transmission fluid which now supposedly lasts forever. I figure I'll re-research this issue when we get to about 80,000 miles.
  • scottinkyscottinky Member Posts: 194
    tire stores that rotate for free with a service. I can bring them a filter and VW
    spec oil, and they will change it. As well as using some excellent german
    indy shops for maintenance. WAY cheaper than the dealer.
  • siobhannalexsiobhannalex Member Posts: 5
    You are so not the only one - here in New Mexico, there is only 1 yes 1 dealership and they are horrible. From the salesman to the owner to the mechanics, they all leave little to be desired. They don't even know the product they are selling, I knew more about the car I wanted and test drove than he did. I ended up driving 640 miles round trip to Lubbock to get mine........good luck!