Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Emissions Indicator Light - Jerking when braking

goalie35goalie35 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Honda
I have a 2004 CR-V. Last week I saw the emissions indicator light come on while I was driving into work. Looking at the manual it mentioned that it could be due to a loose gas cap. After work I removed the cap and then tightened it down again. The light stayed on while I drove home but then the next day when I started up the car it was gone.

Today, when I was pulling up to a stop light, when I was just about to a stop the car kind of jerked like I'd slammed on the breaks for a second, and then drifted to a stop as usual. At that point I noticed that the light had come back on again. Every stop I made for the rest of the ride in resulted in the same behavior. When I got down to a few miles per hour the car would jerk right before I came to a complete stop...?

Does anyone have any clue as to what this could be?

Thanks...

Comments

• Options
    blueiedgodblueiedgod Member Posts: 2,798
    The CEL was probably due to the gas cap.

I assume you drive automatic (cough, girly, cough). When was the transmission fluid replaced last time?

Generally, it is recommended to replace ATF with Honda ATF Z1 ONLY!!! every 30,000 miles. The manual states 60,000 miles, or something ridiculous like that, but for most driving conditions 30,000 miles is better.

Check the tranny fluid. It may be low. Use Honda ATF Z1 only, nothing else. Get it either from the local Honda dealer or an online reseller. Some manufacturers may claim compatibility with Honda ATF, but they are full of it.

Does the "D" on the dashboard gear selector indicator blink?
  • Options
    The CEL was probably due to the gas cap.

I assume you drive automatic (cough, girly, cough :blush: ). When was the transmission fluid replaced last time?

Generally, it is recommended to replace ATF with Honda ATF Z1 ONLY!!! every 30,000 miles. The manual states 60,000 miles, or something ridiculous like that, but for most driving conditions 30,000 miles is better.

Check the tranny fluid. It may be low. Use Honda ATF Z1 only, nothing else. Get it either from the local Honda dealer or an online reseller. Some manufacturers may claim compatibility with Honda ATF, but they are full of it.

Does the "D" on the dashboard gear selector indicator blink?
  • Options
    sophiethecatsophiethecat Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 CRV with 62,000 miles. My wife complained about the very same problem of the check engine light coming on and a strange jerking of the vehicle when braking. When I came home I checked the owner's manual and it said something about an emissions problem. I checked the gas cap and it was screwed on OK. I checked the oil level and it was down about a quart. (just barely above the lower dot) on the dip stick. I added about 14 oz. of 5-20 and drove it around. The engine light went off after about 400 yards and has remained off. The oil indicator light had never come on, just the check engine light. I'll check the transmission oil level (as an earlier post suggests), but I wanted let you know of this experience.
  • Options
    goalie35goalie35 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks.. I'll look into both of those. Yes, it is an automatic... but it's actually my wife's car, so it's ok that it's girly... :)
  • Options
    I have a 2003 CRV with 62,000 miles. My wife complained about the very same problem of the check engine light coming on and a strange jerking of the vehicle when braking. When I came home I checked the owner's manual and it said something about an emissions problem. I checked the gas cap and it was screwed on OK. I checked the oil level and it was down about a quart. (just barely above the lower dot) on the dip stick. I added about 14 oz. of 5-20 and drove it around. The engine light went off after about 400 yards and has remained off. The oil indicator light had never come on, just the check engine light. I'll check the transmission oil level (as an earlier post suggests), but I wanted let you know of this experience.

When low on oil, K-series engines will go into "limp" mode, as in limp back home. Since the VTEC changeover point is at 2250 RPM, the low oil pressure prevents the engine from revving higher than 2250 RPM, and you are forced to drive in the sub 2250 range.

I'v had that happen to me on the Civic Si, which was about a quart low. I had both CEl and Low oil lights on.
  • Options
    sophiethecatsophiethecat Member Posts: 2
    update on my 2003 CRV regarding the emissions light etc.

Brought it to the dealer and they said it was a "throttle body" sensor or something that has to do with sensing the position of the throttle. They said it was an $800 part and it was covered under a 7 yr. 70,000 mile extended warranty. They said the car also had a problem with a pressure sensor for the fuel tank, they replaced that for around $100. They replaced the automatic transmission fluid also.

The car runs fine now.

So, be ware to get your car into the dealer to cover things before the 7 yr. 70,000 extended warranty period ends, if your emissions light is on.

:D
This discussion has been closed.