Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus RX Transmission Problems

Comments

• la4meadla4mead Member Posts: 347
    Are you otherwise happy with your car? If not and you might be looking at an opportunity to make a change.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    If ou shop around I'd bet you can get a remanufactured installed for ~$2,000. Then trade it in QUICK.
  • hisekidhisekid Member Posts: 1
    Does the RX300 transmission problem affect th 2003 model year? The postings I saw refer to older RX300s.
    It wasn't until the RX330 was introduced using DBW, E-throttle, to "protect" the drive train" that premature transaxle failures were alleviated. Interim measures were taken, for instance no late model, after '01, RX300's were shipped without the towing package.

By the time the '01 went into production Toyota was well aware of the causative factor of the all-to-numerous '99 & '00 premature transaxle failures and made a few corrective actions. In my opinion one of those was to "beef-up" the ATF pump capacity which led to the ATF itself being overheated prematurely.

By '01 there was also a pretty RADICAL change made in the RX300's F/awd system. The mechanical rear LSD was dropped entirely and a newly designed (more FLACCID IMMHO) VC, Viscous Clutch/Coupling was used. VSC/TC also became standard and TC was then used to provide rear and center diff'l LSD virtuality, making the VC virtually useless so it was dropped entirely for all future HL's and the RX330 (and perhaps also the RX350) product run.
  • mrbostonmrboston Member Posts: 43
    The Lexus RX 300 4 WD transmission is a Camry. It was not built to handle the torque of four wheel drive.
    The RX 300 has a Camry transmission and was not built to handle
    four wheel drive. tremendous failure rate.

LEXUS defrauded people by selling them not a LEXUS, but rather a camry transmission.

Demand that Lexus corporate pay for parts + labor, etc.
    RX 300 with four wheel drive has a Camry transmission that cannot handle the torque of four wheeldive.

Demand Lexus replace transmission + labor + alignment. This
    problem they know about.
  • bassiebassie Member Posts: 3
    I read some facts conceerning the transmission problems with the RX 300. - We have a "2000" RX300, and recently it started having similar problems. - However, although a local mechanic told us that it was the trasmission that needed to be replaced, it seems to me from my knowledge of other vehicles that it is some strange noise coming from the left front wheel/axle. Although the reactions seem similar to what I have recently read in these posts about an 01 Lexus, it seeems to me to be different. Does anyone out there know if this type of Lexus has axle/transaxle problems indicative to the model ? - I have had transmission problems with other vehicles in the past, and this does not seem to have anything to sdo with the transmission. It is worse when turning left, and the same backing up problems mention in the other post. However, when driving straight down the street, you can hear something scraping, clearly from the front, and seemingly from the left side. - I'm thinkng wheel bearing or axle issue, but do have experience with all-wheel drive. - I would be interested in opinions on this, and wonder if this vehicle is "known" for axle issues.
  • toydrivertoydriver Member Posts: 227
    I own a '01 RX300 with FWD. Bought new, had transmission fluid changed every 30K miles and it now has 160K miles. Never had any issues with the transmission (so far?). Love the car and would would hope that it would reach the 200K level, without a major expense.

I'm curious if the transmission failures are limited to AWD models or have some FWD models also failed ???
    First, it appears that by the time the '01 went into production Lexus had a "handle" on the causative factor(s) for the premature transaxle failures on the earlier, '99 & '00, models.

There is a different P/N for the VC assembly on the '01 and later RX300s vs the '99 & '00 models. As of '01 VSC and TC was adopted and TC would undoubtedly prevent the VC from ever becoming an active F/awd component for recovering loss of traction. It also appears to me that the towing package, additional ATF cooling included, became "standard" equipment by '01.

And then of course the VC was completely eliminated, no "constant" F/awd "forced" rear drive ability, for the entire RX330 model run and possibily the RX350 models. While the marketing literature of the time indicated that the RX330 remained with a VC Lexus was forced to admit that it did not. For the RX350 the marketing literature again indicated the VC was being used but the shop manuals indicate otherwise.

Besides which with TC functionality, other than partial driveline "stiffening"/coupling under "normal" driving conditions, there is no opportunity for VC use. And it was highly likely IMMHO that it was that "constant" VC rear coupling coefficient in the early models that put too much stress on the driveline.

At 80,000 miles I am becoming hopeful that being watchful of ATF condition will result in no need for transaxle work. But should that come to pass my '01 F/awd RX300 will get converted to R/awd (diff'l spider gears welded into place) and retrofitted with "99 VC assembly for driving the front wheels if the need should arise.
    Actually that's quite wrong.

IMMHO it was the need to build the Camry transaxle into a more robust unit for the RX300 series that lead to all the early RX300 transaxle failures. When you mount a V6 engine sideways in the engine compartment there is not a lot of room left for the transaxle. In order to allocate more space for a more robust transaxle some traditional parts/aspects of earlier automatic transaxles was eliminated.

It was the elimination ("abolition" in Toyota lingo) of the ATF pressure sustaining/holding accumulator and maintaining of constant ATF line pressure in favor of "real-time" line pressure control that lead to the premature failure problem.

Apparently before Toyota became fully aware of the problems this was causing the new design, with substantially improved FE, was chosen for adoption across the fleet.

So now, CURRENTLY, ALL Toyota and Lexus FWD and F/awd vehicle have the 1-2 second re-acceleration downshift delay/hesitation problem.
  • gbryantgbryant Member Posts: 9
    I just checked at http://www.mycarstats.com/reports/LEXUS/RX300/2000/complaints.aspx to see how many RX300 owners had filed complaints on the drive train problems, including the trans-axle failures and find only 86 complaints have been filed with ODI at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/. Mine is shown below. If all of us complain maybe Toyota will be forced to act on some compensation for our expenses and spare other 2000 RX300 owners who will be experiencing this in the future the grief we have been put through. Cost me $4K.
    ===========================================
    CONSUMER COMPLAINT: ODI Case Number: 10264449

Component: POWER TRAIN:AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

Details: TRANSMISSION WOULD NOT SHIFT, WOULD SHIFT WHEN IT SHOULDNT HAVE, WHEN PUT IN GEAR WOULD DO NOTHING THEN UNEXPECTEDLY LURCH FORWARD OR BACKWARD DEPENDING ON GEAR SELECTION. LEXUS DEALER REPLACED TRANSAXLE ASSEMBLY. *TR

Occurrences: 1 Injuries: 0
    Fail Date: 03/03/2009 Deaths: 0
    Date added to datbase: 4/8/2009
  • jbl85jbl85 Member Posts: 49
    Geez guys...on a government sponsored website you are telling me that there are 86 reported cases of trans failures?? Even if you say that this is for only the 2000 model year, this is unusually low IMHO...

This fact lends to the idea highly that this is not a widespread problem, because as we all know, people will go out of thier way to p&m about something they feel they are getting a raw deal on and the fact that there are just 86 out of how many sold, well, I'm not so convinced this is such a problem. With all due respect this is not to minimize the BS many have had to go through, but it says alot.

JBL
    JBL, you missed my point. I believe the number is much higher then 86 and if all of the people who have had this problem reported it on the USG web site maybe the USG would look into it.
  • tribeca911tribeca911 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I just joined this forum, and am the second owner of my 99 rx300. The 1st owner was meticulous on upkeep, she had recorded every maintence done, but i have been having all the transmission issues I keep reading from others, the upshift, idleing high, problems getting into correct gear, and now hard loud (exhaust?) rattling while idling. I just replaced a a blown dohicky for my 4th cylinder, but as car savvy as i thought i was i haven't a clue what to do, i am stuck with the car do to my divorce, and wonder if lexus will back anything after all these years, and not under warranty. help?
    This is a widespread problem of defective transmissions. AAMCO
    is repairing hundreds of these a month according to their personnel.
    The problem is most severe on 4 WD models because this is a Camry transmission not built to handle 4WD.
  • bendorrx300bendorrx300 Member Posts: 11
    The RX300 does exhibit a high incident rate of transmission failures. Our 2000 is now on its 3rd transmission. The first trouble we had was around April 2008 when the vehicle drivetrain was barely out of warranty. Reverse gear would not engage unless we accelerated the throttle, then suddenly, the vehicle would lurch into reverse gear. This was quite exciting. Over the course of a week, reverse gear continued to hang-up and eventually shifting between gears 1-2, started to shudder. Figuring the end was near, we managed to drive the RX 130 miles to Eugene, over a 4,900 ft mountain pass, to the Lexus dealer. The tech found plenty of metal fragments in the tranny pan. We paid for the labor and Lexus provided the hardware.

Noticed upon leaving the dealership that the rebuilt transmission was hesitant in shifting. Called the dealer and started a case file of further complaints over the next 11 months. With the 1-year warranty nearly expired on this second transmission, we took the RX to the dealer for thorough documentation. Tech said shifting was typical, we said NOT.

2 months out of warranty, the forward gears began failing completely in one day, and the excessive RPMs indicated the clutches were not engaging. Had to have the RX trucked by transport to the dealer. Lexus found that the tranny had completely devoured itself, leaving copious amounts of metal fragments in the pan.

Dealer provided a free RX 350 loaner and absorbed all of the expenses, including the extra transport miles exceeding 100 miles. This third transmission shifts very smoothly. We pulled a tranny oil sample and sent it out to an aircraft motor oil analysis shop to get a baseline on metal contamination. We will repeat the sampling at 9 months to assess any tin, iron, nickel, etc. value increases by this spectroscopic analysis.

You will find that Lexus Customer Satisfaction will listen and offer some help if you have documented your experiences with the failing transmission. To remove a tranny oil sample, go to the local farm supply store and purchase a long piece of vinyl tubing that will fit down the dip stick well. Use a 15 cc syringe from the same farm store to pull your sample. Be careful that the tube does not come loose from the syringe and drop into the tranny well.
  • bendorrx300bendorrx300 Member Posts: 11
    Our second transmission in the RX was at 13 months of the 12 month warranty. We had complained to dealer at 11 months of the rough shifting. The failure at 13 months began with a whistling noise that was very evident on idling and the noise seemed to come from the front of the trans-axle.

Over a week, the noise grew louder, until we began to notice random slippage of the clutches while in gear. Driving down the parkway at 50 mph and 2400 RPM, we would suddenly notice the RPMs launch to 4,000+, stay there a minute or so and then begin creeping back to 2400. RX finally lost its transmission at a stop light intersection while trying to make a left turn after stopping. Barely made our way through the intersection and then pulled into Lowe's parking lot to await the transport to the dealer 130 miles away, over the mountain pass.

Lexus paid for everything on the second transmission, figuring we had sufficiently documented the problem from day #1. We pulled an oil sample and sent it off to a Phoenix aircraft oil analysis group for spectroscopic analysis and setting baseline metal values. So far, we are happy with the RX and # 3 transmission.
    No, the early RX300's are having premature transaxle problems BECAUSE these are NOT Camry transaxles. These are of an entire new design, granted, a new design based on the earlier Camey transaxle. Lexus inadvertently incorporated a deisgn flaw, unforeseen design flaw in these transaxle. The deisgn flaw was overcome, not fixed, by the adoption of DBW in the RX330 and later models.

As a result everyone, EVERYONE, across the Toyoya and Lexus FWD and F/awd fleet, gets to suffer the problem of a 1-2 second reacceleration downshift delay/hesitation
    Gbryant, I did get your point but maybe I wasn't so clear on my explanation, which I wanted to say that if people have problems with their car, they are much more inclined to go on a govt website to complain about it. That said, I can't beleive there are only 86 complaints, and if my hunch is correct, that there may not be a wide spread problem with these cars...maybe that is wishful thinking.

Merry Christmas to you and all on this board!
    JBL
    AAMCO pulled up their records for me and they are doing several hundred RX 300 transmissions per month. AAMCO is rebuilding the transmissions. AAMCO charges 60% less than a Lexus dealer. How
    many other private firms are also repairing these faulty transmissions?

Lexus dealers will look you in the eye and say, this is not a big problem. If you make a big stink, Lexus will rebate 50% cost of the transmission, but it will still cost you $3,000 - $3,500 to repair.
    Definitely "..wishful thinking.."...!!
  • bosox4bosox4 Member Posts: 1
    how many miles did you have on your RX ? thanks
    I had 103,000 miles. The camry transmission they install in RX 300
    4WD mdels cannot handle the torque and wear out much quicker.
    Now they tell me you have to change the transmission fluid every
    20,000 miles!
    I agree someone should get a class action lawsuit going as I have been driving 45 years without a transmissio nfailure. I bought the first LS 400 in 1990 and had 300.000 miles on it, (eighteen years old), and it ran like a top.

The RX 300 from 1999 - 2003 transmissions are junk.
    I was successful, ($10,000) in smalls claims court.
    The correct legal argument is you bought a Lexus not a cheap
    economy toyota camry. We were all defrauded! Nowhere is it
    disclosed that Lexus just used a camry transmission.

Shame on Lexus for this scam.................................
    The answer is you were defrauded. Did you know the RX 300 was
    built with a camry transmission that could not handle the torque?

Nowhere is there a disclosure from Lexus that they used a camry
    transmission. You paid for a luxury car but got an economy car, think you were defrauded????
  • lee7194lee7194 Member Posts: 4
    My 2001 RX300 AWD tranny failed at 317,000 miles. Replaced by dealer with rebuilt for $4,700 and so far running perfectly. I did flush/exchange the fluid every 50,000. Now at 347,000 and vehicle runs and drives almost like new. Recent O2 sensor replaced at 335,000 only engine work other than oil changes every 3,000 to 4,000. I have apparently been very lucky.
    MESSAGE NOT CREDIBLE

Now why would someone write on Edmunds their success story????

The only people writing are those who either identified a problem, or want clarification on a problem.

I had a Lexus with over 300,000 that was a jewel, and I certainly did
    not write that previously on Edmunds!
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I think it is fine to write about success stories and I certainly don't think it makes the post less credible. I doubt Lexus employees are lurking around putting posts in about 10 year old cars. I lost my transmission at 160,000 so I am not a really happy camper but when people are deciding to buy a used car they look at these forums and even though we realize most people only write with questions or problems it is good to see the other side of the story reported. And some people like to feel good about their decision by publicly announcing their good fortune.
    I have owned 9 new lexuses and have not written once about the other
    eight and their superior performance and longevity. Writer "332"
    suggests that used car buyers want to go to Edmunds to hear about
    good stories????

Maybe I am far to educated than "332", but to take time to write
    success stories on a forum that chronciles car issues either needs
    a life, or sign up for Obama care.
    Why do you think this is not credible? I welcome anyone who has a success story with the RX300's to sound off if they are reading this board. There is enough doom and gloom on this board about these cars it wouldn't be so bad to hear some success stories!!

People need to be more positive...You should have posted your Lexus jewel with over 300k miles. If not, we don't get the whole story!
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Why do you think this is not credible?

I don't think it's a matter of credibility. Some folks are simply pleased with their vehicles and like to write about it. On the other hand, it may not be particularly constructive to tell a person faced with a problem and looking for help that your own vehicle runs perfectly without offering either sympathy or suggestions for resolving the issue.

In any case, let's get back to the topic at hand rather than questioning each others veracity or credibility. :)

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
  • glenj1glenj1 Member Posts: 2
    mrboston,
    My 2001 RX300 just lost its transmission yesterday at 127K miles. Might I ask who you took to small claims court, the dealer or Toyota? I understand that the technical reason for winning was the Toyota Camry vs a Lexus transmission. Is there any other information that you could share with me?
    regards
    GlenJ1
    At 127K miles I really doubt if any "court" will be sympathetic.

Plus I don't think the more robust design, design flaw and all, of the RX300 transaxle was adopted by the Camry until about the '02 MY.
    The issue is not warranty coverage, but rather were you informed
    in any way that you were not buying a Lexus transmission? If not
    you were defrauded and suffered damages as a direct result of
    the flawed product.
    I took Lexus Corporate to small claims. however, you could file two actions, one against teh deaelr and another against Lexus corporate.
    Lexus corporate indemnifies the dealer so you basically could double down. By the way most small claims courts do not allow lawyers, so Lexus just sent in a manager to contest. The judge just asked two questions, can I prove that it was not a lexus transmission, YES and two did Lexus disclose this prior to purchase? NO Any AAMCO transmission shop can bringthe information up on their computers.
    By the way I paid $2,200 at AAMCO to get mine fixed and it is working greta!
  • glenj1glenj1 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you very much for the info. I wrote the dealer to ask them to share the cost of the repair. They sent that on to Lexus Corporate for an answer. The dealer performed all service on my car, including transmission service. I had taken it to them a few months ago when a new noise started. They did not connect the dots that this was the transmission. I await the dealer/Lexus response.
    Regards
    According to the factory shop manuals the Camry used the A140E transaxle from 1994 until 2001. Whereas the 2000, 2001, and 2002 RX300 uses a U140E. The 2000 and 2001 ES300 also used the U140E until 2002 when the U150E was used.

The only difference between the FWD and F/awd RX300 was an U140E vs an U140F respectively. No difference between the U140E & U140F until you get to the diff'l section.

Looks as if AAMCO might have unwittingly pulled a fast one on the court.

On the other hand Lexus was having so much trouble with the new design of the U140E/F series they may have taken the interim measure for the late 2000 models of using an A140E, Camry, transaxle. IMMHO most buyers having Lexus vehicles with the early versions of the U140E/F transaxle would have been much better off with the Camry transaxle.
    In 2002 the Camry w/V6 adopted the Lexus RX300/ES300 U140E transaxle.

Thus began the episode of the use of DBW, E-throttle, in an attempt to hide the design flaw of the U140E/F series of transaxles from the buying public.

While I now suspect that Lexus may well have used the Camry's A140E transaxle in late model year production of the 2000 RX300 I rather doubt, strongly so, that you will find a 2001 or later RX300 equipped with a Camry transaxle.

Beginning with the 2001 MY Lexus had made a significant number of changes to the drivetrain that would certainly help to reduce the load duty-cycle of the U140E/F transaxle. The VC was made virtually non-functional, the rear LSD was no longer an option, and the only time engine drive torque was diverted to the rear drive was with TC activation, which included SIMULTANEOUS, SEVERE, ENGINE DETHROTTLING.

No stress on the U140F to be had there.

There is also some indication that the towing package with additional ATF cooling was included as standard equipment in all RX300 F/awd factory shipments.
    REALLY! Would you like to see a copy of the Lexus check?
    Contrary to your thinking, or lack thereof, it appears that
    Lexus made the decision to not appeal as this would have
    only escalated their exposure of both the fraud and the poorly
    designed transmission. Class action attorneys would smell
    blood in the water, if it went to appeal and Lexus lost.

You should note on the Edmunds blog that there are a number
    of people raising the issue of a class action lawsuit.

What kind of law do you try to practice?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    What kind of law do you try to practice?

Did somebody claim to practice law? It would be better to use the "reply" link so people can tell whom you are addressing rather than creating a new thread.

tidester, host
    SUVs and Smart Shopper
    "..may have taken the interim measure..."

I take that back...

Lexus would have been commiting fraud on the EPA and CARB were they to have substituted the old style Camry transaxles for the newer, more fuel efficient U140E/F.

Plus the engine/transaxle ECU firmware would not have been able to operate the Camry's A140E transaxle.
    It just occurred to me that something rather strange (does not compute, need more input) is going on here regarding the use of a Camry A140E transaxle in a Lexus RX300. The A140E Camry transaxle control functions, solenoids, etc, are completely different from the RX's U140E/F RX300 transaxle.

In order to use the A140E in the RX300 you would have had to also change the engine/transaxle ECU module, along with the wiring harness and connections. Or maybe even the engine itself altogether with the module AND the transaxle.

103,000 miles when yours failed...bought it new or used..??

Used might mean a previous DIY owner could have dropped the Camry system in, or maybe even an actual Lexus or Toyota dealer. I doubt of you would have gotten compensation if a third party made the change.
  • iqinvinciqinvinc Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    Thank you for the great info, I have same problem with my RX300 2000 with 120K and I live in the area,
    Do ou remember rep's name at Lexus of Riverside? or who I should talk to? I'd appreciate it!
    I'm hoping I can get the same treatment. Thank you so much, Justin-
  • cardude13cardude13 Member Posts: 1
    When I come to a slow or not so moderate stop i feel a bump int the transmission downshifting into first gear. I have noticed that when i slam on the brakes in an immediate stop it does not bump so to speak. I have recently replaced the front motor mount and had the transmission rebuilt. The tranny guy says its not the transmission. There are no codes stored in the computer. HELP PLEASE!
  • edr45152edr45152 Member Posts: 1
    My 2001 RX300 transmission failed at 81,000. I had a local shop repair it for $4000 instead of the $6000 that Lexus estimated. Although the local Lexus service manager knows there's a problem with these transmissions they say that there's "nothing they can do." According to them, Lexus Customer Assistance usually contributes $1000 towards the $6000 rebuild bill. I've added my complaint to the NHTSA Office of Defects Investigation list and encourage everyone else to. This is the tool that puts governmental pressure on the manufacture and gets recalls initiated. It only takes a couple of minutes.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/
    The following letter to the editor will be published in two of our local Cincinnati area newspapers. If more of us do the same it might cause some Pulitzer prize seeking journalist to take up our cause.
    --------------------
    Watching Toyota trying to squirm and spin there way out of the gas petal sticking fiasco I can only say, they are getting what they deserve. I bought new 2000 Lexus RX300 because I was tired of the continue recalls and quality induced failures of the American brands I owned and believed that Lexus provided the best product available. I was wrong. When the transaxle in my RX300 had a massive internal failure at 92,000 miles (not a lot of miles for a Lexus) Lexus, manufactured by Toyota, showed me the same contempt they showed the Toyota owners who complained about the sticking gas pedal. The Lexus dealer wanted $6000 to replace the transaxle but eventually settled for $4000 which is still more then their cost. In researching this failure on my RX300 I found that this is a common problem on the 2000 Lexus RX300 and that Toyota has know about it almost from day one but has stone walled the RX300 owners in our attempts to get a recall to correct the problem. And as part of my claim to get Lexus to replace the transaxle at no cost I presented them with a documented history of this type of failure on the RX300. I reported this defect to the Office of Defect Investigation (ODI) at http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/, case no. 10125165. Even though ODI has a significant number of complaints about this defect of the RX300 transaxle nothing has been done about it. I can only conclude that unless someone dies from an event, nothing will ever be done about it, if even then. I also presented Lexus with the results of a search of Edmunds CARSPACE that list hundreds of complaints of the type of failure I had on my RX300 and the horror stories the the owners faced from the all to smug Lexus (Toyota) dealers. My experience with Lexus has soured me on the Lexus and Toyota brands and will drive me back to the last of the truly American auto manufacturers, Ford, for my next vehicle.
    Would you believe that your experience, premature failure of your '00 RX300, and '99 moreso, transaxle, is the base reason Toyota adopted (under duress and therefore maybe too quickly??) DBW thruout the fleet by 2002. DBW is used to overcome, protect the drive train, once the flawed transaxle design was adopted widely.
  • avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I bought a Lexus for the same reason, perceived quality, and while my transmission failed at 150,000 miles which is a heck of a lot better than 92,000, I still think it shouldn't have. I also have a 2006 Sienna and have been following a thread reporting problems with the side doors in older models. With the number of people reporting the exact same problem there is obviously a design problem. Toyota has done the same thing that they have done with our transmission problem, stonewalled. So I have lost a great deal of respect for Toyota and will probably look very closely at other brands before buying another Toyota product. Any company can have problems. It is how they deal with it that defines them.