Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2009 Toyota Tundra

toddhmtoddhm Member Posts: 35
edited April 2014 in Toyota
Does anyone have the inside scoop on possible changes to the Tundra for the upcoming 2009 model year?

Comments

• Options
    My nearly brand new (4,700 miles) 2008 Pyrite Mica/Red Rock Tundra Double Cab 4x4 Limited was t-boned by some a-hole who ran a stop sign. Looks like it will be "totalled" by the insurance company.

My dillemma is whether to special order another 2008 model that will arrive in about 6-8 weeks or wait approx 2 months to place an order for a 2009 model, which may or may not have some changes and/or improvements, including the possible addition of a diesel engine option that I would be very interested in.

My dealer offered a discount of $4k off the MSRP plus incentives in effect at time of delivery on either the 2008 or the 2009.

Please post any rumors or news on any updates in store for the 2009 Tundra.
  • Options
    sbell4sbell4 Member Posts: 446
    pretty much unchanged for 2009 except for a few exceptions.

10 new model numbers for 4x4 5.7 V8 Tundra which are flexfuel.
    8323 reg cab stand
    8327 reg cab long
    8331 Dcab stand
    8332 Dcab SR5
    8354 Dcab lmtd
    8335 Dcab long
    8336 Dcab SR5
    8363 Crewmax
    8364 Crewmax SR5
    8374 Crewmax lmtd

two special edition packages:
    TRD Sport and Rock Warrior
  • Options
    tundra08tundra08 Member Posts: 5
    What about the Crewmax being built with a longer bed?
  • Options
    yes, but my feeling is that it will be a small production vehicle. At this time the southeast region is not planning on having any for dealer stock due to low demand.
  • Options
    sbell4,

So it will be possible to special order a 2009 Crewmax with the regular (6.5') bed? If so, how soon can I place an order for a 2009 model? I tend to think that this configuration will prove to be more popular than the southeast region thinks....
  • Options
    ??????? I do not know. 08/04/08 is scheduled for the first day of production for 2009 Tundra but I cannot confirm or deny if it is in 09 production. Sorry, I didnt pay much attention during that part of the meeting.

If people have interest in the longbed, they can be in this region withing 10-14 days so it really isnt that big of deal of them not ordering any.
  • Options
    olesmokerolesmoker Member Posts: 2
    :) plan to buy a new Toyota Tundra 5.7 limited 6.5 box
    trying to decide on the 2008 or wait for the 2009.
    any changes expected in engine ? fuel mpg is a big factor now with
    the price of gas going through the roof.
    i would also like the moon roof can't get it in the 2008 double cab in
    the 2008 model.
    please post any comments and when information on the 2009 models will be released.

thank you.
  • Options
    *based off of limited knowledge so take the following comments as "sketchy"*

There will be a new small V8 but I do not remember if they said it would be for 2009. I don't expect any changes for the 09 5.7 V8.

Since I have not heard of any major changes, I do not expect to see many or any at all. Prices usually do not change much but the dollar vs yen may make a nominal difference. If you want to wait for a 09, keep in mind that incentives *should* be slow during the first 2-3 months but no one can look into the future and be able to predict exactly what Toyota will do.
  • Options
    indiborn92indiborn92 Member Posts: 5
    Here is what I think should be changed for the Tundra in 2009.

1) Crew-Max models should get an optional longbed package (6.5 ft bed)
    2) Improve Fuel Economy (around 20 MPG)
    3) Include a newer selection of rims
    4) 4.7 Liter should get out about 300-315 hp/ 320-340 lb-ft torque
    5) Have a standard 30 gallon fuel tank (currently has a standard 26.4 gallon tank)
    6) Bump up the payload capacities to about 2200-2350 lbs lbs (currently at 1605 lbs-2065 lbs)
    7) Include a new small diesel engine (maybe 4.4 L V8 270 hp/ 410 lb-ft torque)

This is what I think reply to this if you guys think of more to add thanks! ;)
  • Options
    cthuskiecthuskie Member Posts: 11
    Anyone heard when 2009 Tundras:

will start rolling off the production line?
    will appear on Toyota.com ?
    will be able to be ordered at the dealer ?
  • Options
    renglishrenglish Member Posts: 1
    My son did some research last week and was told they were moving their plant and was tentatively shooting for November to start production. One of the earlier posts stated that the diesel would get upwards of twenty mpg. I just got an 08 Doublecab 4X4 Tundra TRD with the 5.7 V8 and I got 17.2 on the first tank, 16.8 on the second and 19.7 on the third. The 19.7 was at 60mph and under. The last tank I pulled our RV 60 miles down the freeway in high winds, interesting to say the least, and got around 9mpg. I haven't checked what the average is on that tank yet. So far I'm satisfied. I had an 07 Tacoma Double cab 4X4 long box. It did pretty well on fuel until I changed tires (Ave 18 dropped to under 16mpg) and I got pretty tired of no room and no towing capacity. A light motorcycle trailer dropped it to 13mpg. Prior to that I owned Ford F350 Crewcab 4X4's. The Tacoma was too drastic a change. I work out of my vehicle (Land Surveyor) and I've got to have some room. It'll be interesting to see the changes in the next few years. The one thing I'll say about the Toyota's, they seem to hold resale value a lot better than the competition. I don't think Ford, Chevy, or Dodge can say that. Just my 2 cents. Have a great Monday.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Forget the diesel.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/22/toyota-considering-building-a-bat-truck-cance- ls-small-diesel/

Seems they are trying to build a truck based on the Prius technology.
  • Options
    olesmokerolesmoker Member Posts: 2
    I'm looking to buy Winter Tires for My Tundra double Cab 4 X 4
    20 inch wheels.
    What would be a good tire ? :)
  • Options
    cthuskiecthuskie Member Posts: 11
    I live in Connecticut and travel northern New England all Winter long.
    I am fanatically devoted to a Winter Tire from Europe .
    The company is NOKIAN .
    They are located in FINLAND and are a former subsidiary of the Nokia phone company.
    These tires are made to perform excellently in the harsh Scandinavian Winters.
    I have had them on 4x4 pick-ups , all-wheel drive wagons and front wheel drive sedans. In every instance , they have performed much , much better than any
    previous Winter tire on had on these vehicles.
    Not marginally better , but extremely better .
    They have a unique rubber formula that grips better on ice than other tires ,
    as well as a tread pattern that improves traction on hills .
    Not every tire distributor has them , but their website will locate a local dealer .
    Definately worth checking out.
    Read about them at http://www.nokiantires.com/
  • Options
    mainer0607mainer0607 Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking at getting into an '09 Tundra Double Cab, 5.7L SR5. I'm also contemplating throwing a few options on this (bedliner w/ deck rails, fog lights, sliding glass, sidesteps). Was just curious what others have been able to purchase this model for?

This would be my first truck, and I want to do it right - thus looking at the Tundra - but don't want to take a bath.

Thanks for any insight.
This discussion has been closed.