Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2002 Aurora 3.5 liter V6

gene900gene900 Member Posts: 5
edited March 2014 in Oldsmobile
Does anybody know details of the technical details of this engine? I have a 2002 3.5 liter V6, and it is exceptionally smooth running as well as economical. Anyone have comments on durability or oil consumption? I understand it is a variation of the GM Northstar engine.

Comments

• Options
    butchkazbutchkaz Member Posts: 3
    They do burn a little oil. Approx. 1 1/2 quarts every 3k miles is considerd normal. If more than that, there are a few things that can cause this.

http://www.greatautohelp.com/more_oldsmobile_questions.html
  • Options
    oldwinooldwino Member Posts: 20
    Exactly what do you want to know? I've got a set of 2002 service manuals and can get you any info.
  • Options
    seadog316seadog316 Member Posts: 2
    How do you clear fault codes on a 2001 3.5 without a scan tool.
  • Options
    Here's what the manual says;

Clearing Diagnostic Trouble Codes
    Use a scan tool to clear DTCs from the PCM memory. Disconnecting the vehicle battery to clear the PCM memory is not recommended. This may or may not clear the PCM memory, and other vehicle system memories will be cleared. Do not disconnect the PCM connectors solely for clearing the DTCs. This unnecessarily disturbs the connections and may introduce a new problem

I couldn't find anything that said how to clear the codes, other than using a scan tool. Disconnecting the battery may or may not work, according to the manual. I don't know for sure, as I've never tried it. Just about any auto parts store can check and clear the codes for free.
  • Options
    seadog316seadog316 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you. I tried disconnecting the battery and it didn't work. The parts houses I have went to will read codes free but they wont clear them. They tell me they are not allowed to. I know they used to but not anymore. Thanks again John
  • Options
    Your Welcome. Have you tried Advanced Auto Parts? I've had them do it for me on several occasions. Good Luck, Jack
  • Options
    sjsalbesjsalbe Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone tell me where the port is to hook up a code reader on a 2002 Olds Aurora with 3.5 V6?
  • Options
    The connector is under the dash on the driver's side near the steering column.
  • Options
    01aurora101aurora1 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2001, 3.5 litre that is leaking water inside during rains. I have noticed that the water is pooling on the driver's side, back seat floor. Originally, I thought it might be the sunroof, as I have had to adjust it a few times.... and have blown compressed air through the two water galleys toward the front of the car. But I am now beginning to question that.....
    Most recently.... I also noticed water 'inside' the trunk lid, which came pouring out from within the trunk- lid- liner. Is it possible that water is leaking inside from the trunk!!!! The spare tire seems dry.... but are there any other drain galleys that could be clogged????? Any tricks on drying out the carpet other than Shop- Vac????
    Any help would be very appreciated!!!
  • Options
    gene900gene900 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 3.5 Liter 2002 Olds Aurora. The surface of the steering wheel has become worn with use and is now a bit of an eyesore. It appears to be a covering (leather?) that is stitched on. Can the cover simply be replaced or is this a situation where the entire steering wheel has to be replaced?
  • Options
    etm44etm44 Member Posts: 1
    I really have a 2001, but think they are probably the same basic car. I am trying to clarify what it takes to fix my gas gauge. I am seeing that I will have to replace the gas pump in the tank which has the unit that drives the gauge on the dash. If this is true, what will it take to do that? Is there an opening in the trunk to get to it or do you have to drop the tank? Thanks for any help.
This discussion has been closed.