Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru impreza 94 overhaul

subarujimsubarujim Member Posts: 3
Good afternoon everybody, a while back I purchased a 94 impreza L sedan and I figured im just going to drive it for a while until I find something better....

But then this random thought struck me.. it dosen't have a cup holder.... so I thought to myself well I want one in here.. so I decided to think of all the things that would be needed to redo it and get a cupholder... but it didn't stop there..

Well after a little while I decided I want to make this car a project.. At the moment, I know next to nothing about cars, but I will be more then willing to read up and do things myself, and what I can not get done myself I will get someone who is qualified to do it.

But I would like to ask you all the community from a newb, Is a 94 subaru with 160,000 miles worth putting all this work into? And by work, by the end im planning on a new or refurbished engine new tranny, body work all the good stuff. Im not planning on this being a quick fix tho, this right now Im on a limited budget this is a project that will be going on for the next year or so.

But may i ask with your input, to get this car lookin good and be able to reflect its proud history honorbly how much do you see would take to make this project work?

Again thank you all for your input and have a great day.

Comments

• Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Is your 94 an AWD or FWD version? If it's an AWD version it's very worthy for a WRX motor swap.

I am currently looking at a 97 Impreza Coupe Brighton that I will be doing a WRX swap into. It'll be a lot of work but it will be woth it in the end.

-mike
  • Options
    Its its just a fwd
  • Options
    Then I'd just use it til it dies. The FWD ones aren't really worth putting too much effort into.

-mike
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    AWD models are adundant so don't invest in a FWD that few would appreciate.
  • Options
    I understand and all I dunno, I hear about awd this awd that, But I dunno I just like the idea of taking an old car and turning into something special. Yes it FWD but does that Mean that no mater what I do to it It would always be inferior?
  • Options
    A FWD anything other than Subaru would be fine. Like you want to supe-up a 1990s Honda Civic, that's great, drop in a V-tec Integra motor etc.

A FWD Subaru is worthless in terms of doing any mods to it as all the modifications are setup for the AWD models. That's just how it goes, unfortunately.

-mike
  • Options
    merrycynicmerrycynic Member Posts: 340
    Mike is right. Hardly anyone would be searching for a souped up front wheel drive Subaru. Subaru is really known for, amongst other things, their superior all wheel drive system. I doubt you'll ever recover your investment in a fwd Subie.
  • Options
    subaru198614subaru198614 Member Posts: 1
    yes it is i have a 93 impreza l i have custom exaust all the way back cold air intake and underdrive pullys {hint}when you do deside to do any thang to this canr remember all subaru parts will bolt up to any subaru like my underdrive pully is for a 2004 2005 wrx and did it work andys auto sport sells the cheapes and best body kits thanks
  • Options
    gonzorfgonzorf Member Posts: 2
    My 1993 Impreza has a fuze in the engine bay that I can remove and replace to make it FWD to AWD. I love it and i rarely put it into FWD but when i am tight on cash or something I will put it in FWD in order to conserve a lil gas. Not a huge difference, but it works.
  • Options
    Even the newer automatics still have that feature.

If you insert the fuse, it goes to FWD mode. I think it's meant for being towed or when you get a flat tire.

With no fuse (default mode), it's AWD.
  • Options
    blu99blzrblu99blzr Member Posts: 14
    Holy Post Ressurection!

I have a 93 Impreza L fwd and it has 2 cup holders. Have you tried pulling on the trim piece below the heater controls and above the radio? Mine pulls out to reveal 2 very useful cup holders. YMMV.

And, no, I don't think I'll be upgrading this one.
  • Options
    czeckkczeckk Member Posts: 1
    LOL...yeah. I have a 93 impreza L fwd 1.8L...it's beautiful. you should read the manual though, it tells you all about the cupholders, lol.

Anyways, I would mod that car just as I am going to do more mods to mine. The 93 fwd's are just as fun to drive as any other Subaru. And hell...If you want a semi-big project, convert it to awd. There are dozens of forums on how to do just about anything to an impreza...the beauty of being an impreza owner.
  • Options
    ernierni Member Posts: 1
    hi, can you tell me which fuze you remove to make it awd. thanks.
  • Options
    Funny thing is, you actually *insert* a fuse.

It's in the engine bay, open the cover, it's labeled AWD.

I'll copy/paste some instructions I found, remember this is for Automatics only, not stick shifts:

Precautions for AWD vehicles
    with automatic transmission
    Your vehicle is equipped with the AWD
    (All-Wheel Drive) system. In addition, if
    your vehicle is an AT model, before driving
    your vehicle with the temporary spare tire,
    deactivate the AWD capability of the
    vehicle as follows:
    1. Turn the ignition switch to the “LOCK”
    position.
    2. Pull any one spare fuse out of the
    spare fuse holder in the engine compartment.
    Spare fuses are attached on the
    back side of the fuse holder cover. You
    may pick up any one fuse in the spare
    fuse holder.
    3. Put a spare fuse inside the FWD
    connector located in the cabin and confirm
    that the All-Wheel Drive warning light
    “ ” illuminates. The All-Wheel-Drive
    capability of the vehicle has now been
    deactivated.