Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Infiniti G37 Sedan

Comments

• drjcool1drjcool1 Member Posts: 45
    I am not sure where to post this query, so I am sorry if this is not the right place.

Just got my loaded G37x Sedan 2 days ago and love it. Just trying to figure out the center portion of the liquid crystal display (LCD), on the dashbooard. Next to the gear shift indicator, for example, "P" is displayed when the car is in park. Right next to that is a smaller "A". What does that stand for? To the right of that there are 2 sets of digits. One seems to represent the permanent odometer, and I thought the other represents the trip odometer, but that doesn't seem to be so, because that is located just above and that resets when the elapsed time resets.

Can anyone shed any light? Thanks to all in advance.
  • snagielsnagiel Member Posts: 750
    Just adding to the above responses...

You should always follow the factory-recommended gas grade. Note that, at least in the eastern half of the country, regular/mid/premium usually equate to 87/89/93. You can therefore lessen the price blow by filling the first half tank (~9 gallons) with premium (93) and the second half with mid-grade (89). They'll slosh around in your tank together and average to 91. The only downside is having to swipe your credit card through twice, but you'll save about a dollar per fillup.

That said, the car will run without major issues on 87. As others have mentioned, the engine computer will retard timing to avoid knocks, and will therefore cost you some power. It shouldn't harm the engine, but it's probably not smart to never use premium gas.
  • busman01busman01 Member Posts: 46
    The small "A" is for the trip mileage. There are two mileage meters, an A and a B. To toggle between them, or to reset them, look to the left of the steering column, right behind the steering wheel. The reset button while small is clearly marked.

The two sets of digits are the mileage figures in whole and tenths of a mile representation.
    Has anyone come across any information about changes (I realize they're expected to be minor) for the 2010 G37?

And, when are the 2010's expected to hit dealer lots? (i.e. when did the 2009's?) I have a lease ending September 24...
  • rhard49rhard49 Member Posts: 226
    I bought my 08 G35x in the end of November and they were letting each dealer put one 09 on the showroom floor, even though they were sitting at the entry ports. I believe it was december before they would sell you one as there were so many 08s left. You wonder if they are going to make 09 a short year and return to normal on the 2010 hoping the economy is better. I think no matter what you will see great deals on the 09 thast will be hard to pass up.
  • kingpcgeekkingpcgeek Member Posts: 1,051
    The 09 was scheduled to hit showrooms no later then October, but because of slow sales really didn't hit until January. Thus I wouldn't hold my breath for a 10 in September.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • slzweibelslzweibel Member Posts: 33
    Can you get the Sport package on the AWD G37??
  • rdesmanrdesman Member Posts: 43
    The factory makes it clear that it wants us to use premium but I have gotten along quite well in a 2005 G35 sedan and 2008 M35 using regular.
    Has anyone had experience with using regular though in the new motor, the 3.7, as in the 2009 G37 Sedan?
    Here in AZ premium is 20¢ more then regular. I have gone on the theory if I can't afford $3 more a fill up I can't afford an Infiniti.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    It'll work but the engine retards timing and output to avoid pinging, thereby reducing overall power and torque. In general, you should follow a manufacturer's recommendations--it's sourced from the engineers who designed the vehicle.
  • richardnvarichardnva Member Posts: 91
    Snagiel,
    Have you tried regular gas in your Infiniti? If so, please share what happened. I think we all understand the theory behind the higher octane, but I'm interested in actual testamonies from people that have used regular gas in their Infiniti. I just purchased a new G37 and would be interested in hearing from any other G37 owners if they've tried regular gas. Thanks!
    He already answered. You can do it but you won't get the same HP or torque. And I need to reiterate, you can't afford $3 more a tank?
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    See http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/hot_lists/high_performance/features_classic_- cars/regular_or_premium_feature+t-test_results+page-2.html for a more thorough explanation. I don't know the exact impact on the G37's engine (20hp? just guessing...), but the risks of harm from knocks/pings is not worth it over the long haul. So, an occasional switch to regular is OK, but if you intend to use 87 at every fillup to save on gas, that's probably not a good idea.
    I doubt that anyone who has a G37 cannot afford the extra $3.00 per tank.
    That is not the question really. The question is what does using premium buy us and would there be real damage to the motor?
    I live in Phoenix and we have odd blends required for clean air purposes so who knows what we are putting in our tank anyway and what it is doing to the motor. Perhaps octane rating is not the total and complete story under those conditions.
    Good article. Answers my question.
    I am mostly concerned with our new G37 which is my wife's car. (Anything that would retard her performance in it would be a good thing.)
    I think any metro area in the country now how to deal with special blends, us Phoenicians are not special. I do know that in AZ premium gas is 91 octane, and in other parts of the country premium is 93 octane.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    Thanks snagiel, good article. Thanks for sharing.
    I agree, it's not really a function of whether or not you can afford the extra few cents per gallon, it's about being practical in a manner that balances cost, performance, and potential damage or wear and tear. Upgrading the tires would yield better performance as well, can I afford it? Sure. Do I want to spend the extra money on better tires? Not really because the current tires already offer performance that go beyond what I need for daily driving. Same thing with the gas. Can I afford it? Sure. Do I want to pay the extra money? Not if buying regular gas still gives me the performance I need for daily driving without damaging the engine.
  • weho09weho09 Member Posts: 3
    The Screen on my 2009 G37 Navi screen has frozen up several times in the last day. Screen keeps rebooting and cannot change audio, climate control etc. Anybody else have this problem with G37?
  • busman01busman01 Member Posts: 46
    Yep. Happened to me right after I took delivery of my coupe (`08). It affected the radio, heater controls, backup camera, ...everything on the screen. The retailer ended up replacing the entire unit. Corrected the problem with no complaints thus far (12+ months).
  • oman9oman9 Member Posts: 97
    Richard, I agree about being practical...and being frugal/smart with one's money. This issue has been debated on various threads here and elsewhere for years and will be debated for years to come.

The fact that is always seems to be a question as to whether the engine (forget performance for a moment), the most important aspect of the car, could be damaged and the question of whether or not mileage may be adversely affected by lower octane fuel leads me to the conclusion, for the "extra few cents per gallon", to err on the side of caution and avoid any possible engine damage/wear, loss of MPG that defeats the purpose of saving the extra few cents per gallon, and possible loss of performance/enjoyment.

The fact is very, very few on these boards are absolutely sure as to the questions of the downsides of using lower octane. That being the case err on the side of caution and yield to the advice of the engineers who built the car, seemingly have no financial interest in the petrol companies, and follow the suggestion on the inside of your fuel door cover...YMMV as always...just my "few cents" :)
  • weho09weho09 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for your response. I took mine to the dealer today and they will most likely replace. First one they have seen on 09.
    For those of you even slightly concerned by my "sin" of potentially using regular, I want you to know that I filled up at Costco last night with premium. It was emotionally refreshing. Rest assured that I plan on continuing to do so.
    Now everyone can relax and move on to more productive chats like why my self healing clearcoat (2009 G37) seems to be out to lunch on the one new minor scratch on the car.
  • brooke37brooke37 Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone know how 2010 models of G37 sedan will differ from 2009? Any effort to improve gas efficiency?
    I've asked this same question here and with a few dealers. Only one dealer had any clue, and said the changes would be very few and minor (since 2009 saw a lot of changes). The only one he remembered was that fog lights--which are currently integrated into the headlight units--would be removed into separate units in the lower grille area.

I'm pretty sure there won't be any powertrain changes--gas efficiency should be the same.

(BTW, I've also gotten very different responses about when the 2010's should arrive--anywhere from August to December. The 2009's were definitely late, but who knows about next year...)
  • brooke37brooke37 Member Posts: 12
    Thanks! Please post any updates if you hear anything :)
  • oman9oman9 Member Posts: 97
    Good for you rdesman! :) I've been reading these boards for many years and this issue has some legs, won't ever die! My post was more about the issue being raised over and over than you in particular....thanks for the info on the self healing clearcoat, maybe another way for them to make money? Is that a dealer add on or a manufacturer option? Either way, sounding pretty useless...hope it didn't cost to much if it was a separate add on...
    The self healing clearcoat was no additional cost and is factory standard on the 2009 "G"s. I am waiting (I live in Arizona) for it to slough off and fall to the pavement when it gets really hot.
    I would have been more comfortable to have waited for a year to see how it worked out in the field for a year and to have bought a 2010 but we couldn't wait.
    If anyone has any issues with it one way or another please post your comments here, and thanks.
    self healing paint was used on the EX's before it was put on the G's
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    The owners that received the mailers have long ago redeemed them. The program has been going on for some time, and there is probably a hundred posts like yours that explain the whole program over again here on Edmund's.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
  • pharm30pharm30 Member Posts: 36
    Has anyone upgraded the stereo system in their sedan? Care to share what you did? I think my 06 coupe sounded much better than my 09 sedan.
    It doesn't seem to have much bass - I've used the driver audio setting and messed with the levels. Just doesn't sound all that great to me.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    I had a chance to drive my uncle's '09 G37X Sedan. Now if it were my car, I'd go for a G37S w/ 6-speed stick, but even with AWD and a slushbox this thing runs. I was actually more impressed with the balance and handling. The car seemed to turn on an axis. Very cool car!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

For all the impressive-sounding description in the brochure, I agree that the "premium Bose" (some would scoff at that phrase as an oxymoron in and of itself) does not blow me away. The Acura ELS system, by comparison, definitely sounded richer and more dynamic.

I can't imagine it would be easy (or cheap) to replace the head unit...too integrated with all the electronics. But maybe replacing the speakers (and/or adding an amp and subwoofer) would help?
  • addamsaddams Member Posts: 74
    For a 0-60 car in the low 5's I'm not sure you can do much better.
    yeah, I was thinking maybe new speakers/sub, don't really want to mess with replacing the head unit. I'll have to see if there is a cheap upgrade I can make.
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    I have seen complaints of this nature. In my experience I have noticed it depends on what you are listening to. If you listen to the in dash cd player on a CD with lots of bass (say a nice hip hop track) and max the volume, I promise you will feel you seat shake with bass output. Your rear view mirror will become useless with the vibrations being sent there. You will feel the bass around you and this is the experience I expect from this system.

On the other hand if you listen to a rock & roll track from your Ipod, the experience will not be as overwhelming. Why, cos Rock does not emphasise bass, its gives you everything across the spectrum and that is exactly what the system delivers. In addition, the the Ipod music will never outperform the in dash CD or music box.

To put things in perspective, my IS250 had the base system which is great in comparison to a lot of systems out there. Moving from that to the Bose was a huge upgrade, so I would not diss the Bose at all. Try different types of music, sample 50 cents "OK You're Right" ( I realize that this may not be your taste in music:)) and see what I mean. Just make sure to use the in dash CD or music box for this experiment.
    I just upgraded from my 07 G35x to an 09 G37x. Great car! Even better than the 05 G35 - and I thought that car was outstanding.

Anyway - I have noticed that when I dial my phone with voice commands there is no way to do so with one command. For example, on the G35 I could hit the Talk button and say "Phonebook Home" and it would dial my home #. Now I have to hit Talk and wait (while the annoying voice tells me my options) then say "Phonebook", and then wait again, and then say "Home", and wait again, and then say "Dial". I cannot figure out a way to make this work like it did in the G35. I tried turning on the Alternate Commands button in Settings under Phone but this did not help. I now just use the speed dial feature on my phone instead of the voice commands - but this sort of defeats the whole purpose.

Anyone??
  • pulp_fictionpulp_fiction Member Posts: 4
    I was just at the dealer checking out the G37 and complained about just that annoyance. They showed me that you can change the nav from beginner mode to advanced mode and use the commands like you described in your G35.
    I have a question regarding voice dialing.

Does the G37 do voice recognition for the phone books or just use trained voice tags? For example in my current car (BMW 335) I can just say "call John mobile" and it will look up John in my bluetooth linked phone book and offer up John to call him. It would appear that in the G37 I have to train the system to know who I want to call. It would also appear that anybody I want to voice tag has to be in the cars built in phonebook, not my bluetooth downloaded phone book. Can anybody explain how this works? The saleswoman and sales manager were not able to answer these questions which leads me to believe the system cannot voice dial from the bluetooth downloaded phone book.
    There's a couple of different answers to you questions. Depending on your cell phone, you can download your address book to the car. The car can only dial what''s been loaded onto the onboard phonebook, it can't actively search phone, not that I'm aware of. I have a blackberry pearl and it doesn't support the download contact info feature, so I had to manually enter each of my contacts into the car's phonebook. Once you've done that, you can use the voice system to call contacts using voice commands, but it's a multi-step process (as noted above). You have to hit the "voice" command button, then say "phonebook", then say the name of the contact you want to call. It's tiring. I just trading in my Acura TL for the G37 and really miss the voice and Nav features of the Acura better than the Infiniti.
    You have to download the phonebook from your phone to the car by BT. You then have to add an entry into the onboard phonebook - you can pull the information for that entry from the downloaded phonebook but have to enter the voicetag for it. All in all a pain in the you know what. Also, even in "advanced" mode, you have to do multiple voice entries to get the car to dial the phone (see my post above). They really should have done a much better job with this. Both Acura and BMW do better. It is even worse than the G35 I just came out of. I tend to use my speed dial feature on my Blackberry over the car's voice commands unless I can't get to my phone.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,421
    I wish the G37 got slightly better gas mileage. I'm thinking of trading in my '90 E30 325i as Cash 4 Clunkers & the G37 doesn't qualify for a rebate. I'd take a G37S Sedan (6speed stick) in a heartbeat :shades:

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

I miss the exhaust sound from my 06 coupe. I loved starting it every day and the sound when accelerating.
    Has anyone looked into replacing the exhaust or tweaking something on 09 AT sedan to give it a little deeper sound? thanks
    That does sound like a pain in the rear. My BMW may be easier but I have gotten sick of hearing: "I'm sorry, I didn't understand you, please repeat". And don't get me started on IDrive. I wish the manufacturers would not force us to use their integrated systems and build a dash that allows for the ability to replace the main unit. Since we can't change out these head units to aftermarket the nav/stereo has become an integral part of selecting many of these new cars. The pathetic nav system in the A5 Audi took it right off my list. It is a little better than the idrive but that doesn't say much...
  • mazzmanmazzman Member Posts: 8
    I picked up my '09 G37 Sedan (6-speed MT) on Monday....and thumbed through the owner's manual,,,,,,which said, "Check the fluid level in each cell......Add distilled water up to the UPPER LEVEL line." Since I haven't had a "maintenence-needed" battery in a new car since 1979, I called the dealership, and the service guy assured me that my G37 had a "maintenance-free" battery....

So I pulled off the battery cover, twisted one of the (6) little plugs on
    the top of the battery, and it unscrewed....so did the other five, making it real-easy for me to add distilled water as needed. In other words, my car has a "real-old-school", add-water battery, just like in the 1970's, in spite of what the service guy says.....or thinks.

My questions: (1) Do *all* G37's come with these old-tech batteries?? (2) Could there be a plausable *reason* why Infiniti decided to use type of battery type that many/most other car-makers abandoned years........make that *decades* ago? (3) Does "monthly" seem like a good battery-checking interval, if only to keep the car's warranty in effect???

TIA for any comments....
    I'll have to look under the hood of mine when I leave work, but I can tell you that batteries are not covered by the car warranty.
    2005 G35 Sedan
    2007 G35 Sedan
    2008 G37 Sedan
    2010 G37 Coupe
    2012 G37 Sedan
    2014 Q50 RWD

2017 Q60 3.0t RWD
    2018 QX60 RWD
    Okay... I sent an e-mail in to Infiniti, and what they said was that the
    battery will be checked when I take the car in for service. Which makes me feel *just* a tad uneasy since when I talked to my service manager, (over the phone), he assured me the car had a
    "maintenance-free" battery.

Plus in the "Maintenance and do-it-yourself" chapter if my Owner's Manual, it also says....."Vehicles operated in high temperatures or under severe conditions require frequent checks of the battery fluid level." I'm sure Infiniti doesn't mean to bring the car in to the dealer every week or so, for a batttery check. :-( :-(

Anyway, what I'm gonna do is assume that this car has a genuine, 1970's-and-ealier "add-water" battery, and I'll check the fluid level every week or two, or until I'm convinced that it's not going to "run dry" on me! :-) :-)
  • sjaievesjaieve Member Posts: 252
    I am not sure if I am understanding you right but I have had my 08 G in excess of a year now. I have never checked the battery nor do I intend to. I believe during service they "top off all liquids", this is always on my receipt after service. The car warns you when your key fob battery is running low so I am sure there is a warning for the main battery running low as well. If I got your question wrong I am sorry but if I did I thought maybe my experience would help, I dont think my experience is any different from anyone else.
  • m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    Nissan/Infiniti has used these type of batteries for a long time. I had one in a '96 Maxima and I had(I replaced it with a maint-free) one in our Infiniti QX4. If you live in a very hot climate just make sure the dealer is checking it during service. Otherwise I would just check it myself about once or twice a year and fill any cells with distilled water that need it. I live in midwest and I checked the battery about once a year after the warranty service period and never had a problem. Grew up on these types of batteries and you don't have to check them all that often and I'm sure the newer ones are better than the ones in the 60s/70s.

On the warranty issue. I had a battery fail in the first year with a Toyota Tundra. It was a bad cell and they towed the truck into the dealership. They gave me a new battery. I don't know if this was under warranty or just a dealer gimme.
    sjaieve posted:

"I am not sure if I am understanding you right but I have had my 08 G in excess of a year now. I have never checked the battery nor do I intend to."

I'm guessing that, a) you *didn't* understand my post, b) either you didn't read the "Do it Yourself" section of your operator's manual *or* the 2008 G-series did *not* instruct owner's to check their battery-fluid levels, and c), you probably *never* owned a car that used "old-tech" batteries that require periodic inspection of battery-fluid levels, and the occasional addition of distilled water (when needed.) However, I have owned cars that used this old-school technology (my 1979 RX-7 was the last one) and I'm puzzled why Infinity is still supplying batteries that need to be checked. Plus, when I asked *my* service department about the battery, they said it was "maintenance free....which is not corrrct....so their competence is in question.

So my advice to you is...*if* your car's battery is indeed, "old school", and if you don't intend to check the fluid level yourself, occasionally, make sure *someone* actually does check it....and doesn't just make a little check -mark on the service/inspection form...