Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Rogue Tires and Wheels

renogeorgerenogeorge Member Posts: 9
I have a 2008 Rogue and need some information.

1. What is the proper way to protect the Alloy Wheels? Any product to buy to keep them looking new?
2. What is the best wax to use on the Rogue? My brother said to use Turtle One Step.
3. What is the best scratch remover?

Thanks

Comments

• mikelevine64mikelevine64 Member Posts: 39
    I have noticed the Rogue's have two different OE tires Dunlop & Continental's, what are some opinions from owners.

Thanks
  • cpcacpca Member Posts: 20
    We have Continentals on our Rogue and I haven't been impressed with them. They seem to transmit more road noise than new tires should. On one particular stretch of freeway, the lanes had been shifted, and the previous striping (which had been burned/scraped off) was exactly where the tires would normally track when the car is centered in the lane. When driving on that section, it seemed like the tires actually amplified that particular noise frequency. I'm sure we will be talking to our tire guy and changing them out to another brand when the initial set wear down.
  • rkoko164rkoko164 Member Posts: 10
    I'll have to ck which tires I have. I notice too much road noise at highway speeds and certain surfaces. More than any car I've ever owned. I have the P225/60R17 low profile tires which I really didn't want but, they came with the model package.

If anybody does a tire swap to another brand and it quiets down noticable please post your results.

thanks, Ron
    .....I cked, mine are the Continentals too. I found that the dealer had too much air pressure in them and brought them back down to 33 psi, it made a difference, also just putting a few miles on them made a difference too. I've only got 120miles on the Rogue so I suspect with a few more miles they will wear in a little more and get a little bit quieter. The Rogue doesn't seem so bad as the first drive home from the dealer. I was coming from a Sienna mini van, which if you ever drove one you would know they are a marsh mellow soft and quiet ride.

I'm pretty fussy and hard to please with cars [and other things]. I bought the Rogue for my wife but, I find the more I drive it the more I love it! I want to trade my pickup in for one now! :)
  • slimhiggsslimhiggs Member Posts: 4
    I purchased my rogue the beginning of November. With 5,000 miles on my car, I picked up a screw which embedded itself in the side wall. Drat! That ended the life of the tire. As if that wasn't so bad, consider this....there wasn't another tire for this car anywhere in the area. (South Boston area). My husband and I searched every major tire company and when we couldn't find a replacement tire, I promptly returned to the dealer. They declared it wasn't their fault but I insisted that it certainly was. The net result was the dealership paid for a rental for 7 days until they could ship in one tire from "who knows where"! Even similar new rogue vehicles in the lot were no match (we all figured that the best thing was to take a tire off a new car, put the spare on that and then worry about that tire being replaced thereby giving me immediate access back to my car). The next shock was the sticker price of the tire.....ONE tire cost me $280 !!! The dealership probably paid somewhere over $400 for the rental --- ONE EXPENSIVE TIRE!

BYW, I have the continental tires. I find no appreciable difference between any other riding tire.
    That's crazy, ck out these tire prices.....
    Tire Rack
  • ezryderezryder Member Posts: 8
    Hi Fellow Rogue owners. Well, I'm actually NOT a Rogue owner, yet, and am looking for some info on tires/rims. I'm probably going to order the Rogue tomorrow and my only complaint is the dreadful rims and large empty wheel wells. Is there a replacement tire that fills the well better, or just plain looks less... cheap... than the standard ones? I'm thinking of at least chroming the standard rims, but it might be cheaper to buy new cherome rims, and would love to hear anyone's experience there. Please hurry!! =}
  • ohiobuckohiobuck Member Posts: 6
    I just bought a Rogue AWD SL that was equipped with Contis. I paid the dealer $50 extra to give me a set of Dunloops from another Rogue on the lot. At present it seems that many more Rogues are coming with the Contis but I have always had good luck with Dunlops and liked the more open aggressive tread pattern on the Dunlop. It should be better in bad weather. It seems like a quiet riding good handling tire, so far.
    The tire pressure monitor on my new Rogue has been on constantly since shortly after I took delivery. Tire pressure is 36 lb in each tire which is 3 lb more than the sticker on the doorframe recommends.

What does it take to get this thing to turn off ? My son has a new Maxima and had the same problem. The dealer offered to 'fix' it by filling the tires with nitrogen (for $20). That tells me not to take this car to the dealer for service but doesn't solve the problem. I'd just turn the thing off if I knew what wire to cut.

Anyone else had a problem with the tire pressure monitor?
  • jd10013jd10013 Member Posts: 779
    nitrogen wont do any good. what people don't realize with nitrogen is, about 80% of the air your breathing is nitrogen. My advice would be to first get a new tire gauge. I'm not saying that is deffinitly your problem, but most of the people I've know who have had TPMS problems simply were getting incorrect pressure readings from a bad gauge.
    Took my car in for the 1000 mile service today. The problem with the TPMS was that its trigger point was set too high. Using their diagnostic computer they reset it to 32lb and the light has stayed off. They did not give me any BS about trying a nitrogen fill and I left thinking I had made the right choice of which dealer to buy the car from.
  • mtnxtrememtnxtreme Member Posts: 9
    How does the monitor work, if I want to run my tires alittle softer than reccomended, will it be going off constantly?
    No. It will only warn you if one tire is softer than the others. Just keep all 4 tires at equal pressures and you'll be OK. Dealer had mine too high [38lbs]. Two weeks later I lowered them to 33lbs [6 wks ago], everything is fine. One under inflated tire spins more revolutions to cover the same distance than the other properly inflated tires...... the computer sees that and puts a warning light on.

PS: you did say "a little softer", I'm not sure if you went to extreme pressure drop...I never tried that.
    No. It will only warn you if one tire is softer than the others. Just keep all 4 tires at equal pressures and you'll be OK. Dealer had mine too high [38lbs]. Two weeks later I lowered them to 33lbs [6 wks ago], everything is fine. One under inflated tire spins more revolutions to cover the same distance than the other properly inflated tires...... the computer sees that and puts a warning light on.

Interesting explanation. The dealer told me something different. They said there is a setting that determines the least amont of pressure that is OK. Below that the alrm lights up. Mine was set to 38lb. All my tires were at 36lb (I checked more than once) and the indicator was on. They reset the limit to 32lb and now the light is off. To test the two explanations you might lower yours to 30lb and make sure they are all equal then see if the light comes on.
    Your probable right, there has to be some kind of threshold to set off the warning light. Usually you just have one tire going soft as my past experience has been on my Toyota that put the light on. And your limit might have been set too high. I lowered mine to 33lbs and its OK, as I said in my PS...

"PS: you did say "a little softer", I'm not sure if you went to extreme pressure drop...I never tried that. "

RKoko
  • pitkeyspitkeys Member Posts: 18
    FYI OEM Conti 4x4 Contact:

Took delivery on my Rogue at 19 miles on ODO. Tread depth on Contis was 6,6,6, & 7/32!!! Won't go far on that. So upgraded to Avids for that and other reasons. 16/32 at install. Much quieter at Interstate speeds. Much smoother at slower speeds. The CVT vibration is noticeably less at slow speeds. dealer gave good trade on the OEMS.
  • fergus4022fergus4022 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking for a set of four centre caps best described as a mini hub cap approx 6" dia which can be clipped on. The wheels on my car has the centre recessed and I want the centres to stand proud thus giving the car that "squat" look.
    Would appreciate feedback as to where I might locate same.
    Thanks
  • srauhalasrauhala Member Posts: 2
    I just started to use Zaino Bros Show Car Polish Products. They are a little on the expensive side but well worth it. It initially takes some work but it is amazing and the shine lasts a long time.

You can only purchase online on their website.

I discovered it by doing some searching on the web. I kept running across their name on different sites as well as this one. Check them out, they have a ton of pics on their site.
  • mlmcgaheemlmcgahee Member Posts: 102
    I have been using the Turtle Wax ICE products for my interior and exterior. Great products....
    :shades:
  • burdavburdav Member Posts: 1
    Does anybody know if the TPMS will pair itself automatically if I put on snow tires, new wheels and sensors? thx
  • hess5hess5 Member Posts: 6
    I know your post on edmunds is over one year old but I am having a problem with shimming between 15-21 miles per hour. 08 rogue with 28k. I bought it a month ago and it had new tires. I have had them balanced and rotated twice to see if one is out of round or have a bent rim but they say no. The nisson dealer says that is the way the cvt tranm. is. Do you think it might be the tires on it, they came from tire kindom. Did you have this problem? If so what tires did you put on. Harry
    You might have a problem if it already has new tires at 28k miles. I have 28k miles on our 08 Rouge and the original tires still look like new. No shimmying or shakes at any speeds. Depending on the cars options it had 2 tire sizes from the factory, ours has the larger rims w/the low profile tires [don't remember the size w/out looking].

Good Luck, Ron
    Thanks Ron, I bought it with 27k on it and new sumitomo touring lst tires, size 225/60R17 as per book. I think I will take it to a new nisson place and see what they say.. Its a loaded rogue with leather, sun roof, boise system, paddle shifters, etc..Drive nice except the 15-22 mph speed. It was a repo-and the dealer who sold it to me does not know the past history. Harry
  • asurasur Member Posts: 4
    pitkeys, now that it's been 1+ year on those Avids, what is your experience? Also, what model Avid did you get?

Anyone else replace their Contis?
  • pitkeyspitkeys Member Posts: 18
    >

Avid TRZ 225-60 17.

10,500 miles on them, not much wear. Fine wet traction and OK (within limits) on wet snow and light ice. So far they seem to be a fine tire: Much better wear than the OEM Conti Contacts, and MUCH better traction, braking and cornering. Also much quieter on the highway.

HTH
    You say the cvt tranm.vibration is less noticable with the diff. tires? Can you please explain? I have the vibration between 15-20 mph. Harry
    Between 15-=20 mph slight veberation or shimmying. Dealer (2) of them says that is the cvt tranm., they say that most people do not notice it or either drive throught it. In other words if my speed creaps up to ten and I then push the pedal through to twenty I will not notice the shimmying. Only when I stay in that range do I notice it. I have emailed nisson to see what they say. Just finished a 1,500 mile trip and got 27 mpg, love this car except the above problem. Harry
    Thanks for the report, pitkeys. What you're finding seems in line w/ what I've read.

I'm not a fan of the Conti Contacts--not a lot of tread out of the box--but they've worn ok. Granted, I rotate them regularly and make sure inflation is good, and drive pretty conservatively. I've got over 46K on them and I think they're good for a few more months, maybe even til the snow flies.
    Hess, I have no such vibration from my cvt. However, the speed range 10-20 is problemmatic for this trans, in that whatever gearing ratios they chose make for a big drop in power right then. So when it shifts at 10 or 15, it feels like you let off the gas. To make up for it you have to gas it a bit, especially if you're merging into high-speed stuff.
  • roguer1roguer1 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone else experienced rusting steel rims on a 2008 Rogue S? Nissan is refusing to replace saying it's not a warranty issue, but they will "paint" them, so something must be up. :confuse:
  • sammyssammys Member Posts: 30
    Hello.
    I can't find my owners manual and was wondering if anyone knows of the recommended tire rotation pattern for a 2009 Rogue S SUV.
    I'm thinking it must just be front to rear as you can't cross radials (have to turn in the same direction).

Thanks.
    Sammy
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I just rotated my Nissan van's tires yesterday. I do front to back since that's more convenient for me, but an X pattern is better. The only time it's usually recommended to do front to back is when you have directional tires (crossing radial tires is fine).

Tire Rotation Instructions (Tire Rack).

You can download a free manual and check what Nissan recommends for your Rogue. I'd be curious to see if an X rotation is not recommended.

How To Find Your Car Owner's Manual Online
  • dmb69dmb69 Member Posts: 1
    YEP I have a new 2011 Rogue AWD ,I have the Continnetals 4x4 on mine and will deffinetly take them off before winter.. I have the Continnetal contacts on my Equinox AWD and they really sucked in snow and ice and some rains.. they slid very easy not much traction... so not a fan of continnetal tires.. to bad Nissan still uses them..the continnetal 4x4's cost 200 a piece too!! thats ridiculous !! I have Cooper CS4's on my other 4x4 and they ride nice and werer great this past winter with all the snow and ice we had in the Chicago area..wish I could get them for the Rogue. The coopers only cost me 350 for all 4 tires installed at the Tire Barn last fall (2010). Other than the tires the 2011 Rogue is very nice to drive and we are getting 24-26 MPG in city driving. so thats a big plus for Nissans Rogue AWD !!!
    dmb, I replaced my 2008 Rogue AWD original Contis at 50K with Michelin Harmony. The Harmony is a nice tire. Next winter I'm going with Nokian. Last winter I used X-Ice Xi2 and was very disappointed. Really bad on snow.
  • db69442db69442 Member Posts: 2
    I REPLACED MY ROGUE S ORIGINAL CONTI 4X4 215/70/16 TIRES WITH NEW MICHELIN DESTINY 225/60/17 TIRES AND NEW WHEELS FROM DISCOUNT TIRES AND THE RIDE IS SO MUCH BETTER AND IN RAIN NO HYDRO WHAT SO EVER LIKE I HAD WITH THE CONTI'S.. THEY SAY THE ROGUE S MODEL DOES NOT HAVE A OPTIONAL TIRE SIZE TO USE(THATS BULL) , IT IS SAME SIZE OPTION THEY PUT ON THE OTHER MODELS OR THE 18 INCH WHEELS AND TIRES ARE AN OPTION. HANDLING IS SO MUCH BETTER WITH THE 17 INCH TIRES AND WHEELS. hAD THEM ON MY JEEP I TRADED IN AND WERE GREAT..
  • db69442db69442 Member Posts: 2
    HAS ANYONE CHANGED THE TIRES FROM THE STANDARD 16 INCH TIRES AND WHEELS TO THE 17 INCH TIRES AND WHEELS? nISSAN KEEPS SAYING THEY DO NOT HAVE AN OPTIONAL TIRE FOR THE 2011 ROGUE S MODEL ONLY THE 16 INCH WILL WORK. ANYONE HAVE AN OPINION ON THIS? i SAY THE 17 OR 18 INCH WILL WORK FINE ON THE 2011 ROGUE S MODEL.
  • dwb2dwb2 Member Posts: 24
    I had the same problem with my 09 Rogue. Nissan would do nothing so I scuffed the wheels and sprayed primer on them then covered them with two coats of black paint right from the spray can. They are holding up quite nicely and continue to shine.
  • omaitaomaita Member Posts: 16
    edited November 2011
    I going to replace all 4 tires on my wife's Rogue'09 S AWD, right now it has the Conti 4x4 that came from factory. Everybody who has this car knows that these tires are pretty noisy.
    So, I was searching online and for the price I can afford my options are:

1. BF Goodrich Long Trail T/A Tour ($/547)
    2. Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G051 ($/445)
    3. Yokohama YK580 ($/475)

Does somebody over here has an opinion about these tires on the Rogue AWD or could you recommend another one.

Thanks for any help!!!
  • fercho4fercho4 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2011
    have any one had a problem with the rims for the Nissan Rogue 09, Recenthy I bought 4 tires , I went back to the store three times with a flat tire Until they found the crak on the Rim, and I just went to the Dealer today , they told me the warranty doesn't cover this problem, also the 2 TPM's are broken too, At this point I don't know what to do because the TPM and the rim It will cost me $ 950 more, I just spent $ 700 last week whe I bought the 4 tires, balance and alignment,
    doest any one has a suggetion to me.

Thanks
    I used to have the low pressure message, just replaced all 4 tires ($ 450 at discount tires) and problem is gone.
    What the dealer say could cause that problem??? Does happen on all 4 tires??? Get an opinion from an authorized and certified tire service company and if they said it could be something defective go to The Dealer, Nissan and BBB.
    Good luck, keep us posted please.
  • junior12junior12 Member Posts: 1
    omaita, so what tires did you go with? And how many miles on them & are you happy with the tires?
    Thanks
    I bought Yokohamas YK580 at Discount Tires, free shipping and the installation locally was less than 100, after all it was almost 80 less than any local store, plus I get an additional warranty.
    My wife drive almost 1500 miles a month, tire were purchased in December so right now she drove over 5000 miles, feels and looks great.
  • rogueonerogueone Member Posts: 1
    My tires are feathering and will need to be replaced. I am now at 28000 miles. Dealer says not my fault. Could it be somethiing else, Hmmmmmm
  • capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Feathering is generally a symptom of an alignment issue - especially toe.

But it could also be the result of .... ah .... Mmmmm ... let's call it "Spirited" driving.
  • jack1usa1jack1usa1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi there,

I have a Rogue SL AWD and I'm thinking about putting 4 new Destination A/T, but they are 235/65 instead of 225/60...do you think these will fit?
  • herbie116herbie116 Member Posts: 2
    I am posting this in the hopes that someone out there knows something about tires, as I do not. My (gently used) Rogue came with 18" Falken Ziex tires on it. These tires are ATROCIOUS in the winter, so I have to change them before the snow flies this year. I was told by my mechanic's wife (who knows a thing or two about tires) that, regardless of the brand or speed rating of 18" tire I buy, they will ALL perform poorly in winter weather due to their size (18"). Is this true?? I have the option of getting a smaller tire all together (17") but then I also have to buy rims...and I have no idea if this will really solve my problem.
    So...anyone have an opinion as to what I should do? My options are:
    - buy a different brand of 18" all seasons and hope my mechanic's wife is mistaken
    - buy 17" tires and rims and pray for better winter performance
    - keep the crappy (and LOUD) tires I have now and buy WINTER tires and rims
    Thank you in advance!
    First, dedicated winter tires are ALWAYS going to be better for snow traction than all season tires.

Second, snow traction is highly dependent on the amount of wear on your tires. More wear = less traction.

And lastly, even the best winter tire is going to have less grip in snow than the worst all season does on dry pavement. In other words, don't expect winter tires to solve all the traction issues.

Your mechanic's wife doesn't really know tires. There are some tires with some decent snow traction available in your size. You will need to spend some time researching this to get the compromise you want. There is quite a lot of variation in treadwear ratings and traction.

Go to Tire Rack and spend a bit of time. That will help you sort this out.
  • herbie116herbie116 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, capriracer!!
    I have researched the living hell out of 18" tires on Tire Rack and a host of other sites...even went so far as to buy a set of new 18" tires, but I was told I wouldn't be happy with them either due to the fact that they were the same size tires as the tires I hate, so I returned them. I realize winter tires are the way to go in winter weather...but I am trying to avoid having to buy 2 complete sets of new tires (winter tires and rims and then whatever size all season tires I decide to get). I just don't have that kind of money at my disposal. Luckily, I have several months to figure this out. Thanks again!
  • c131c131 Member Posts: 1
    Came with Dunlop P225/55R18 tires. Tread almost down to min at 33,500 miles. Very noisy and poor ride. After rotation noise diminishes for 100 mi or so then back to the very high noise level. Is this normal and what is a better replacement for better ride and noise level?
    No, it is not normal - and the problem is likely your alignment. The key was when you said that a rotation was good for 100 miles or so - which means it is taking 100 miles to wear a new pattern into the tires.