Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2009 Volkswagen Jetta

sircarsalotsircarsalot Member Posts: 4
edited July 2014 in Volkswagen
I want to buy a new (or certified 2008 used) Jetta SE or Wolfsburg soon. I am trying to research the 2009 Jetta, to see if I should wait another few weeks and buy that model instead.

I'm trying to research the 2009 models, but have had a hard time finding solid info online. Does anyone know if the 2009 Jetta SE or Wolfsburg will be different in any way from the 2008 models? From what I've gathered, they sound exactly the same. Has anyone seen a 2009 model?

Thanks!

Comments

• m6userm6user Member Posts: 3,181
    From what I've gathered, there are few if any differences in the car but the bumper to bumper warranty is being reduced to 3 years vs. 4.
  • sircarsalotsircarsalot Member Posts: 4
    Wow, if that's the case, perhaps it's best to buy a certified used 2008 Jetta SE/Wolfsburg, that way I get the original factory of 4 years (less the time/mileage already accrued by the car), plus the 2 year/24k certified used warranty on top of it.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    If the B to B is being reduced from 4 years to 3 years I'm glad I bought several weeks ago. ;)
    My understanding is that VW will provide all routine scheduled maintenance for the 3 year warranty period like oil changes, rotations etc. So you have to kind of weigh the extra year of warranty vs. saving a few hundred in service. The almost new certified used is actually not a bad way to go either.
    I'd rather pay for the routine stuff and carry the extra year of protection.
    I guess you could take the money saved on routine maint and apply it towards an extended warranty which isn't a bad thing to have with a Jetta it appears.
  • sircarsalotsircarsalot Member Posts: 4
    I'm factoring in the extra year of BtoB (with the 2008) vs. the routine maintenance (2009). But how about the future resale value?

If I buy the 2009 over the 2008, what is the resale value of selling the car that's a more recent model year? So in 2011, how much is the 2008 Jetta WE worth vs. the 2009 version?
    Well in 2011 the 2008 would still have a year of b/b factory warranty left. But I think it's pretty much like buying any other car.....how much better deal can you get on the 08? From what I've seen the Jetta holds value pretty well so two cars in excellent shape 3 years down the road probably won't be more than $1000-1500 different. If you can an additional $1000-$1500 off on the 08 than you can on the 09 I would say it would be a pretty good deal.

I'm not familar with the exact differences between the 08 and 09 Jetta SE. Is there any equipment advantage there?
  • shirotorishirotori Member Posts: 51
    I have a 2007 Rabbit with the 4 year warranty. The owner manual says maintenance every 10,000 miles, but the dealers always insist on every 5,000 miles. I would be interested to find out if those same dealers will continue to insist on 5,000 mile maintenance when the car owner will not have to pay for it. My thinking is is that they will start to follow the owners manual recommendations.
    Oh, they'll probably try to talk you into paying every other oil change at 5000.... "just to be on the safe side". ;)
  • cutejettacutejetta Member Posts: 1
    Folks,
    I am planning to trade in my old 2000 Corolla to get a new Jetta SE. I had ZERO issues with my Corolla for last 9 years and maintained it very well.

I am wondering if buy Jetta, what would be my experience of maintaining Jetta? This is going to be my 1st VW.

Thanks.
  • rosweetrosweet Member Posts: 6
    I have 2001 Civic and barely have any problem. I have test driven a Jetta 09 SE yesterday. I like the car and the price, but not sure about the size of backseat and the maintainance cost. Anybody have any insight to share? :)
  • jeffyscottjeffyscott Member Posts: 3,855
    I believe VW is including free maintenance for 36 mo./36K mi. with the 2009 models.
  • whichJettawhichJetta Member Posts: 1
    I am completely torn which Jetta to pick. I currently drive a car with a manual transmission but sitting in traffic every day takes the fun out of it. So for the Jettas, I like the 2.0l automatic transmissions (switches gears much nicer) much better than the 2.5l. However if I buy a manual 2.5l I could get the best price and switch gears myself. But looking at the gas mileage, the TDI is best. Cost is an issue, but obviously not my main concern. I just wanna make the right decision and not regret it in 5 years. Any advice?
    Go with the TDI with the auto. It will last you a heck of a lot longer than the 2.5. Plus you get the $1,350 tax credit.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    Bluetooth is now going to be available. It's a factory installed option. It might be like the Skoda unit or it might just be a factory installed volk-l.
  • johnrbrooksjohnrbrooks Member Posts: 9
    I just got a new 09 Jetta with the iPod port in the center armrest. According to the owners manual the car is compatible with the iPod 60GB and iPod 160GB (both version "6.0"), but I have a new iPod 120GB which is a version "6.5". Other iPods will work in this car but it doesn't recognize mine. I'm trying through VW and the dealer to find a VW software upgrade. Help!
  • mcdolemcdole Member Posts: 3
    I have 9500 miles on it and have had 5 incidents of hesitation pulling out in a hurry. Have gas pedal pushed down but nothing happens for a second or two. Anyone else experience this problem? I'm taking to dealer next week and I'm sure they never heard of any VW doing that!!!
  • doug_mcdoug_mc Member Posts: 2
    We test drove a 2009 Jetta S with the 5 Cyl & Auto. Acceleration from stop was non linear. Is that normal? By non-linear I mean that the ability to make a smooth constant acceleration from stop was not possible. The car moved forward but seemed to have an elastic band holing it back in 1st gear. It rapidly switched to 2nd gear and then there was some acceleration. Is that normal for this car?

What do owners experience?
  • dvsgelatindvsgelatin Member Posts: 2
    I bought an '09 Jetta S w/5 Cyl & Auto a few weeks ago and I have the same acceleration issue. I just assumed it was normal for this car. It is kind of weird to get used to actually. My wife's 2009 CR-V seems to have much more get-up-and-go than this Jetta. Once you get up to speed it rides very nicely, but initial acceleration from an idle is exactly how you described it.

I also am having a loud squeal when I brake and I was told "the brakes on a vw are vented rotors, no squeak or rust prevention can be used on them or it wont vent the heat of the brakes properly. The noise you hear is surface rust being removed from the rotor."

I wonder if other people have had this issue and if this is a legit explanation.
  • rosweetrosweet Member Posts: 6
    I have my 09 Jetta SE for almost 6 months now, at first 3 months I did notice the acceleration difference comparing to my 2001 Civic. I guess it just took time to get used to. What I have noticed recently is the clicking noise behind the steering wheel in low speed at first couple minutes when you turn on the car. I'm wondering if others had such experience. Since it randomly occurs, the dealer has no idea what the cause is. :confuse:
    We have the 5 cyl auto in a 2005. I would say initial acceleration is the opposite of what you describe...it gets going from a stop very quickly. It is my wife's car and I have to be careful to use an initial light touch on the gas pedal when I do drive it in order to avoid getting a sqeak from the tires, my wife has no problem as she is used to it.
  • rv65rv65 Member Posts: 1,076
    http://carscoop.blogspot.com/2009/05/new-volkswagen-golf-estate-same-car.html

This is pretty much what the new 2010 Jetta will look like. It will have the Golf VI fron end, new white MFD display, Golf VI steering wheel and finally the Golf VI dashboard.
  • intelmanintelman Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2009 with 11,300 miles. Only had one problem which is the FR door was not aligned right in the frame and made it hard to close the door. 1st gear acceleration is very brisk in automatic mode, I suspect due to a very low gear ratio. I average around 27 mpg with some freeway driving and have gotten as high as 31 mpg . The car is very fun to drive and acceleration is very good around 4000 rpm's. The trunk is huge which is a major plus. I would like to keep this car after 39 months are over as long as no problems crop up.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A national reporter is looking to speak to consumers who purchased a Volkswagen (VW) vehicle recently (within the past four months). Please send your daytime phone number and the vehicle you own to ctalati@edmunds.com by Friday, June 5, 2009.

Thanks,
    Chintan
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• catrescuer1122catrescuer1122 Member Posts: 2
    Things you cannot tell in a quick test drive. I owned this car for just 42 days before I traded it in. It had a tight gas pedal, mushy brakes, and a squeaky steering wheel. It was sold to me as certified pre-owned, but I have no idea what it went through in its brief life with the previous owner. I had had enough of sliding through stop signs and stop lights waiting for the brakes to stop the vehicle - safely and in a straight line! The vehicle's line curved with accelerating and braking. It had 3000 miles on it already and by 4000+ miles the brakes were grinding and the steering wheel would not turn. :( I purchased from Boardwalk Volkswagen in Richardson, TX.

Here is what happened. I took my 2001 Jetta GLS with moonroof in for repair (1 owner, purchased brand new from Boardwalk with 0 miles in 1/2001). At 90,000 miles it started stalling out and driving rough. Service diagnosed many things wrong - some were maintenance related like vacuum tubes - and told me it would be $2000 to fix. Paid $2000. Stalled on 50 mile round trip home. Pop the hood. See a repair done with shiny black electrical tape! Back at dealer, which does not know what is wrong. I say the shoddy repair with black electrical tape could be something! They said they did that to save me money and that "it is not fixable". I am convinced to use the $2000 paid repair bill on my fully-owned paid off car as a down payment toward the financing of a pre-owned 2008 Jetta S. I have cerebral palsy and A tier credit! That car was my transportation. I needed transportation and controls. I signed the contract on the 2008 Jetta S. Tried to return it the next morning, due to its issues. Dad goes up there. Service tech goes "Eddie Haskell" on him and tells him it could have been an engine speed sensor, a nominal fee to pay ($200 or so) compared to paying $2000 for repairs and financing another car purchase of $16000 (retailed at $20000 sticker)! :mad:

So far I have written to the Texas Attorney General and the Owner and Sr. VP of Boardwalk. Should I write to the CEO of Volkswagen of America, Stefan Jacoby? When I bought the 3rd vehicle, I had nothing to trade against it. I lost thousands of dollars on two deceptive deals to get to the vehicle I have now which I love: it accelerates, brakes, and steers! What more could a gal ask for?

Yes, I signed the contract for the 2008 Jetta S, under duress. What about honoring a provision of repair service contract, when $2000 is paid? I think my case is strong for deceptive trade practices involving Jetta 1 and Jetta 2. I would have paid $200 for a sensor! Why weren't they checked before $2000 worth of parts had been installed and labor performed? There was a known issue with the engine speed sensor in 1/2009.

I did not trust them to fix car #2 since car #1 was not fixed satisfactorily. :(
    I might be wrong (and please correct me if I am) You bought a used vehicle. You signed a contract. I don't know how the laws are in Texas but don't you have 72 hours (or 3 business days) to change your mind and return the vehicle?
    Seems to me that you rushed into a deal, the vehicle was not what you wanted , you should have 3 days to back out of the deal.
    A letter to Jacoby might help, if he even reads it. I would get a good lawyer and hope for the best. Good luck.
  • catrescuer1122catrescuer1122 Member Posts: 2
    I have discovered that "lemon laws" only apply when the car was not bought at a place of business, and the 3 day return policy is an urban legend. It is up to the seller/merchant to decide to take it back. I left the keys with the service department and was taken to work by my dad. I was later called aty work and told to remove the vehicle from the premises. I didn't want to lose my $2000 I'd paid toward a non-running trade I could not sell elsewhere. I still held the title to my car. I just wanted my car to be fixed and to run.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    It really sucks when you have a supposedly "new" product and you can tell its not normal. I tried taking my car back within 3 days and the couldn't do anything I was pretty much forced into my car too. I had to choose a GM car in order to lease a VW product too.(we needed 2 cars.. Wanted 2 VW's.) VW wouldn't let me lease 2 VW's. I want to write a letter to VW to let them know that I am now paying for 2 cars now, I drive the GM car and my family member drives the VW. They could have had more of my money. I wanted a VW too. They wouldn't let me.

Blah, anyway... I know what its like... you get the car and your like wow! I don't want it! Luckily I only lease my cars, nothing is ever permanent. Its just a car,
    but your issues go way beyond that... I am sorry to hear about all of that!
  • jamiebrady55jamiebrady55 Member Posts: 1
    i just purchased a 2009 jetta s and i have the same problem in the acceleration. i asked the salesman and he said that it would go away...i dont like it! what happened with your car and what did they tell you? did you get it fixed or did it just go away like he said it would? :confuse:
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    What do you all think of the new front end on the Jetta, or at least what is going to be the new front end? I think it looks okay! I am not sure either way right now. It looks more casual now. The Jetta I think holds its own luxury type look and feel for a car of its kind. It looks more casual now. I'll give it a chance.

I was totally hoping for the VW CC to have a 5th seat, because I would get that car. Its a car of size that I would like.
    Kinda bizarre that the Jetta has 5 seat belts and the CC only 4. :confuse:
  • alexinstlalexinstl Member Posts: 2
    the hesitation is the DSG transmission, sometimes it feels like it goes clunk, but every article I have read said this is normal. it just gets some getting used to. I have over 15K on mine and sometimes it feels weird, but you get used to it. The real issue is sometimes when you put it in reverse it jumps back real quick....hope this helps.
  • alexinstlalexinstl Member Posts: 2
    the clicking noise you hear is a relay problem. take it to the dealer and have them look at it. My delaer said it was a relay but you need two people in the car, one to drive and one to find out which relay is clicking before he can fix it. i have to bring it back in next week to fix it. He said it's not a safety issue, so no worries there, but it is annoying. Hope this helps. Alex
    the 2.5 does not have a DSG transmission
  • maxkolbemaxkolbe Member Posts: 1
    I'm having the same relay clicking in my 2009 Jetta TDI -- how exactly does the passenger determine which relay is the culprit while driving? It seems to be coming from somewhere inside the steering column...thanks for any advice!
  • vw09_is_junkvw09_is_junk Member Posts: 1
    My 09 VW Jetta has been nothing but problems since I got it last year, when it's cold it slips in rev. While im driving their is accelertion heasitation, and some times the car just shifts into netural and all the lights on the dash flash. (if this were to happen when I pulled out into traffic id be dead). I'm aware of the recalls on the dsg trans which states all the excact symptoms im having and they claim to have made the nessary repairs to correct the issue. I have had it into two different VW dealers and the mechanic at one of them stated the trans was slipping bad in rev when the car is cold but later when I was called to pick up the car the manager claimed his mechanic was mistaken I just needed to let the car warm up for 15min befor driving it. And they say everything else is fine yet they never really drive the car more than a few miles.
    "let the car warm up for 15 minutes" :surprise:

That is ridiculous! Did they actually say minutes, not seconds?

I'm pretty sure the owner's manual does not indicate that this is the way the car is to be operated. Maybe contact VW and tell them your dealer is claiming that the car needs to warm up for 15 minutes in order to operate properly and see if they agree that this is required for normal operation.
  • bpeeblesbpeebles Member Posts: 4,085
    edited May 2010
    Methinks you misunderstand.... the 15 minutes of warmup means to DRIVE GENTLY until the engine is up to operating temp.... this is normal for ANY automobile.

Simply idling an engine to "warm it up" has been proven to cause premature engine wear..... besides, A TDI diesel would have to idle for a lot longer than 15 minutes to get warm because it is soooo effficent.

Heck....in the winter, my fully-warmed-up TDI will actually start to COOL OFF if I let it idle. (the temp. needle will move back down to the cold indication) The trade-off for nearly 60 MPG is no heat in the winter.
  • whitneymswhitneyms Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone had problems with their 2009 jetta tdi fuel pumps? Mine has totally disenegrated and according to the dealership my whole fuel system will have to be replaced due to metal shards in it. I had no warning signs of a problem, it just quit in the middle of the road.
    edited May 2010
    15 minutes would be my entire commute! Seems excessive to me, I think a minute or two (or a mile or two) is a more common recommendation.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/2008/January/04.html

http://editorial.autos.msn.com/article.aspx?cp-documentid=1101499

The poster did state that the dealer said to "let the car warm up for 15min befor driving it".
This discussion has been closed.